Author Topic: Alps Appreciation Thread  (Read 2453649 times)

Offline Mattr567

Re: Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1000 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 18:26:36 »
Please guys, stop killing off these old Zeniths D: . They've got looks, character, beautiful badges, NKRO and are built infinitely better than anything you could possibly transplant the switches into D: . They really don't deserve such a cruel fate :'( .

Sorry Chryos  :'( I traded the rest of my Zenith guts to Blaise, so maybe their is some hope for mine. I know people who simply threw away their bodies!

The Green Alps V60 has been going on for some time actually :D The keyboard works (mostly), the holes have been cut in the Greens and the LEDs have been installed and soldered in! All I need now is to install resistors, run a bit of wire to fix some lifted LED pads and im good!

Show Image

Soon...

Show Image

Your Alps shall shine!

Can't wait to see them light up, man. What color LEDs are you using? I LOVE Alps keyboards that are deceiving and look like they might be MX boards at first glance. Backlighting is so atypical for Alps, that such a thing contributes a ton to that "sleeper" look, imo.

With the new Infinity PCB also allowing for LEDs, a lot of backlit Alps builds are possible now, whether simply using Matias switches and soldering the LEDs on the rear of the PCB and bending them to shine through the MX switch wells, or doing what Mattr and I are doing and drilling holes in each Linear Complicated Alps housing in order to use 2x5x7mm LEDs.

For me, I went with Duck Eagle PCBs as they were the only option I thought of at the time. I had no idea the V60MTS was possible to set up for backlighting until Mattr and Itzmeluigi figured it out.

The customizability of a Duck PCB though, is a nice benefit, regardless. :)

Yep! After I bolt mod my Model M ill order the correct resistors Itzmeluigi found out from KBP and make them shine! The V60 works well enough. Win keys are for losers right! /s

I may have bought one too many boards from Japan. Prices not including international shipping... :))

Show Image

Uh....meetup again so I can play with all these? What a haul!

Made my own thread a while back but I thought I share it here, my SGI Granite swapped with SKCM Orange and SKCL Greens. The SKCL Greens were some extras laying around from my V60 MTS Backlight project. That will be for another day though. Still need proper resistors for the backlight. Otherwise the V60 right now works besides the Windows keys.

Grey Plate Oranges as well :)

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

That's a lovely board :D

The SGI Granite is such a great board, just ruined with Dampened switches. I fixed that ;D In a sense made my own OG Dell AT101 but better. You can get a Granite for half what a AT101 goes for. Now I wonder what to do with all the White Dampened I have lying around. Currently they are undampened.

Funny how 3/4 of my boards have switch swaps in them. Just have to make them perfect!

EDIT: I'm #1000, Yay!
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 February 2016, 18:29:46 by Mattr567 »
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #1001 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 18:50:07 »
The SGI Granite is such a great board, just ruined with Dampened switches.
“Ruined” seems a bit strong. These things were meant to be used in offices, and I assume the damped switches were at least in part a competitive answer to rubber dome keyboards, whose quietness was advertised as a major feature (though the biggest major feature was surely the lower production costs). The Alps switches with rubber dampers are supposed to be a “best of both worlds” compromise.

In practice I’m also not the biggest fan though. I think Matias quiet switches do a better job than Alps quiet (“cream”) switches.

You can get a Granite for half what a AT101 goes for.
That’s because the Dell AT101 is overpriced, bid up by folks who care about the Dell logo.

The SGI AT101s also seem cheaper recently than they were a year or two ago. Not sure why.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1002 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 18:52:22 »

That’s because the Dell AT101 is overpriced, bid up by folks who care about the Dell logo.

The SGI AT101s also seem cheaper recently than they were a year or two ago. Not sure why.
I think its because people doesn't like the caps legend? But I personally really likes the caps legend!

Offline itzmeluigi

• ПБТ
« Reply #1003 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 18:55:13 »
Please guys, stop killing off these old Zeniths D: . They've got looks, character, beautiful badges, NKRO and are built infinitely better than anything you could possibly transplant the switches into D: . They really don't deserve such a cruel fate :'( .

Sorry Chryos  :'( I traded the rest of my Zenith guts to Blaise, so maybe their is some hope for mine. I know people who simply threw away their bodies!

I bought your Zenith Z-150 from Blaise, im going restore it and convert it to USB  :)

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1004 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 20:13:25 »
The SGI Granite is such a great board, just ruined with Dampened switches.
“Ruined” seems a bit strong. These things were meant to be used in offices, and I assume the damped switches were at least in part a competitive answer to rubber dome keyboards, whose quietness was advertised as a major feature (though the biggest major feature was surely the lower production costs). The Alps switches with rubber dampers are supposed to be a “best of both worlds” compromise.

In practice I’m also not the biggest fan though. I think Matias quiet switches do a better job than Alps quiet (“cream”) switches.

It is a bit strong, but not a lot of people like them :-\ Some people think they feel like rubber domes, (which they don't) but the way they travel just is discouraging to type on.

I bought your Zenith Z-150 from Blaise, im going restore it and convert it to USB  :)

Great! It is a AT, so it works with modern PC's but it was weird about the F7 key not working on USB converters. I lifted a few pads but thank **** it is much simpler than the V60 :) It was pretty clean when I got it.

Here is some pics of the original cleanup I did on it.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #1005 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 20:15:04 »
It is a bit strong, but not a lot of people like them
The Apple Extended Keyboard II, with quiet switches, has a huge following still, 20+ years after production.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1006 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 21:20:38 »
It is a bit strong, but not a lot of people like them
The Apple Extended Keyboard II, with quiet switches, has a huge following still, 20+ years after production.

Great example of people who do like them. Im not saying nobody likes them, or I hate them. I just dont prefer them. Its more of the board than the switches I think, used to have one. It could also come with Salmons.

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #1007 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 01:16:30 »

Mixing us up? ;) No worries! The pcb mask as either pdf or expresspcb file is available here, along with cads for the plate if you want to laser cut instead of dremel cutting the original plate. For M0116, go with the Y62 files.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=76738.0

Thanks! And, yeh I would consider this a joint effort with seaworthy, but he keeps giving me all the credit. Don't let him! :D That color way is all his. I'm the one coloring within the lines :)

Yes…we’re "pretty much" equals. We’re Chippendales. He’s Adrian. I’m Barney.

LOL! Hadn't seen that one :D I want to be Chris Farley though! It's a shame both he and Swayze died too young, but I really really miss Farley the most. He was brilliant!

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #1008 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 04:02:37 »
After doing some more testing, I think I've determined I actually like my White ALPS for typing once I can get used to the weight, however they were really uncomfortable to game with (just basic FPS gaming too) because of the strong tactility and weight.

Kind of in a lame spot here since I do 50/50 typing and gaming, maybe I should get an ergonomic gaming keypad for gaming and get a KBParadise V80 with the smoother and lighter Matias switches?

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #1009 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 06:51:34 »
Ill leave this here:

i need gold caps as well.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1010 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 06:52:41 »
Ill leave this here:

Show Image

Bruh that boards looks sexy!. WHAT  SWITCHES?

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #1011 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 06:55:21 »
Ill leave this here:

Show Image

Some Matias clickers, they sound so nice, not sure about the feel though, ill give it some more time. my colleagues does not seem to mind, these are by far the most sounding switches ive ever tried :D

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1012 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 06:56:07 »
Ill leave this here:

Show Image

Some Matias clickers, they sound so nice, not sure about the feel though, ill give it some more time. my colleagues does not seem to mind, these are by far the most sounding switches ive ever tried :D
ooooh nice board!

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #1013 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 07:02:07 »
Ill leave this here:

Show Image

SHEEEUUUT

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #1014 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 07:57:40 »
Ill leave this here:

Show Image

If you like the sound of Matiases you should try some Alps switches if you haven't ;) . They make Matias sound like embarrassing pieces of plastic ;) .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #1015 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 08:07:13 »
Ill leave this here:

Show Image

If you like the sound of Matiases you should try some Alps switches if you haven't ;) . They make Matias sound like embarrassing pieces of plastic ;) .

I have, got a handwired m0116, had a alps64 previously to this with cream dampened alps, which i sold, got a lil big with fake alps,also tried black alps on a an at101W. Got a sgi  granite which these caps are from.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1016 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 08:24:16 »
They make Matias sound like embarrassing pieces of plastic .

I don't know, sometimes these Alps/Matias polemics sound like the IBM/Unicomp ones.
Yes, there are (mostly qualitative) differences, but no, they are still essentially the same thing.

And, of course - anyone who does not want to type on an embarrassing piece of plastic is using a Model F

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #1017 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 08:34:44 »
Ill leave this here:

Show Image

Do give them time. Just like Simplified Alps, they are stiff and that takes some getting used to, but they also seem to "break in" a bit over time, and once that happens they are an absolute joy to type on.

And, of course - anyone who does not want to type on an embarrassing piece of plastic is using a Model F

Shots fired!

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #1018 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 12:58:29 »
Pew pew wutchu gonna do alps and cherry users

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #1019 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 13:12:28 »
Pew pew wutchu gonna do alps and cherry users

Alps buckling spring! Besides, switches are still metal, they just have plastic housing.  :p
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #1020 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 22:58:01 »
As of today, I have used both Green and Yellow Linear Alps on my ZKB-2's.  I've gotta say, linear switches are not my thing, but I can see the appeal.  I feel like the Yellows are underrated. 

But the beeps.  Oh god the beeps are amazing. 

Offline grav3serker

• graves + berserker = grav3serker
« Reply #1021 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 23:28:59 »
As of today, I have used both Green and Yellow Linear Alps on my ZKB-2's.  I've gotta say, linear switches are not my thing, but I can see the appeal.  I feel like the Yellows are underrated. 

Let me know if you want to get rid of the Greens! :cool:

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #1022 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 01:32:46 »

im not a linear fan either.

Offline mastermachetier

« Reply #1023 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 09:12:06 »
Haha I was actually thinking about getting one setup for March sometime. Probably one of the last times I'll be available before I move to Boston for awhile.  :eek:

Google tells me that's about $850 USD. Not bad for such a large quantity. Do you plan on selling any of them?

I'll probably end up selling a large portion of it since I need to recoup some of the costs. Shipping to the US will probably end up costing me another ¥35.000 or so and I can't afford to hold onto all of them. Don't have space now and I'll have even less in a Boston apartment. :))

Hey if you end up in Boston which is where I am at we should have a Boston meetup Just saying ;)

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1024 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 02:32:54 »
So I get the confirmation of LZ for alps plate + pcb and a RGB diffuser for LZ FE.so I'm going to make a GB for it but I don't know anything about alps stabs so he said that we need to choose either the AEK 2 Type, SGI and Dell old type, DELL new type.  what is the difference in all this? and do you guys know anything about L3 ALPhaS pcb?

Offline E3E

« Reply #1025 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 02:59:22 »
So I get the confirmation of LZ for alps plate + pcb and a RGB diffuser for LZ FE.so I'm going to make a GB for it but I don't know anything about alps stabs so he said that we need to choose either the AEK 2 Type, SGI and Dell old type, DELL new type.  what is the difference in all this? and do you guys know anything about L3 ALPhaS pcb?

Essentially, you're going to want to use caps from one of those boards. You can use a set like Alpine winter though, but you need to bend custom wire, or (I think) use the Matias stabilizer wire. I am not familiar with Matias stab wire, but I've heard it's meant to work with costar caps mounted on alps plate stabs.

What caps did you plan on using with that? Anything with Cherry stab mounts will need the custom wire or Matias wire option. Otherwise, you'll need those cap sets.

Dell AT101 and SGI Granite are your standard 7u. It's really the space bars that he's talking about here, as those are more unique and tricky than anything else because of the stabilizing shafts. Some other 7u boards also came with Cherry mount stabilzers. Notably Tai Hao.

Generally speaking, as long as the stabs are the traditional alps plate mount type stab, then you will be fine everywhere else (there were also costar plate stabs on some Alps boards).

Dell new style means Dell AT101W, which has a 6.25u bottom row. Seeing all the positions on the PCB, it is indeed compatible with all of those unique bottom rows. The AEK II space bar is not the same as the AEK I space bar, but I forget what the difference is. I think the stabilizing shaft is flipped.

Can anyone clarify that bit?

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #1026 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 03:00:45 »

Check Skype! :)

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #1027 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 03:07:02 »

Essentially, you're going to want to use caps from one of those boards. You can use a set like Alpine winter though, but you need to bend custom wire, or (I think) use the Matias stabilizer wire. I am not familiar with Matias stab wire, but I've heard it's meant to work with costar caps mounted on alps plate stabs.

What caps did you plan on using with that? Anything with Cherry stab mounts will need the custom wire or Matias wire option. Otherwise, you'll need those cap sets.

Dell AT101 and SGI Granite are your standard 7u. It's really the space bars that he's talking about here, as those are more unique and tricky than anything else because of the stabilizing shafts. Some other 7u boards also came with Cherry mount stabilzers. Notably Tai Hao.

Generally speaking, as long as the stabs are the traditional alps plate mount type stab, then you will be fine everywhere else (there were also costar plate stabs on some Alps boards).

Dell new style means Dell AT101W, which has a 6.25u bottom row. Seeing all the positions on the PCB, it is indeed compatible with all of those unique bottom rows. The AEK II space bar is not the same as the AEK I space bar, but I forget what the difference is. I think the stabilizing shaft is flipped.

Can anyone clarify that bit?

Basically we will offer

Dell at101, Dell at101W and AEKII layouts. Youd have to choose similar to alps party.

Offline E3E

« Reply #1028 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 03:28:19 »

Basically we will offer

Dell at101, Dell at101W and AEKII layouts. Youd have to choose similar to alps party.

These plates won't match the mounts for the Orion v2 will they?

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #1029 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 04:01:38 »

Basically we will offer

These plates won't match the mounts for the Orion v2 will they?

Only for LZ-FE for now. the orion plate has been made before so there should be some drawings somewhere, so maybe we can run it in the future.

Offline mseaworthy

« Reply #1030 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 14:42:43 »
Finished restoring an AEK I today. To cloak Apple's boring beige, I used black matte plastidip on the case. To reduce abrasions and scuffs to the plastic finish, I applied a few coats of Turtle Wax Ice--supposedly works great for dipped cars...

Key caps are the original lovely PBTs dyed with Dylon multipurpose dye.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #1031 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 15:48:40 »
I've thought about doing the exact same to one of my boards. What color gray did you use on the keys? If I do it I'll definitely tape the Apple logo so that it still shows.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline E3E

« Reply #1032 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 16:23:28 »
Finished restoring an AEK I today. To cloak Apple's boring beige, I used black matte plastidip on the case. To reduce abrasions and scuffs to the plastic finish, I applied a few coats of Turtle Wax Ice--supposedly works great for dipped cars...

Key caps are the original lovely PBTs dyed with Dylon multipurpose dye.

I love it! Looks very different and unique. Nice work! How did the dye job work out? Was it tedious? I just bought a stainless steel 3 quart pot, staineless sieves, and a digital thermometer for a project I have in mind soon.

I just hope it's not too tricky!

Offline n__dles

« Reply #1033 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 16:41:45 »
I've thought about doing the exact same to one of my boards. What color gray did you use on the keys? If I do it I'll definitely tape the Apple logo so that it still shows.
I've got an AEKII case in decent condtion if you or anyone else wants it. Not sure if it's worth the price of shipping, I'll probably just recycle it.

Offline mseaworthy

« Reply #1034 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 18:09:26 »

I love it! Looks very different and unique. Nice work! How did the dye job work out? Was it tedious? I just bought a stainless steel 3 quart pot, staineless sieves, and a digital thermometer for a project I have in mind soon.

The grey is iDye Poly Gun Metal.

It is pretty tedious, but most of that for me is in making all the mistakes. Originally I used small thrift store pans for dying. I know some people have no problem with this, but I kept getting splotchy results and edges that looked “burned”—even though I was stirring the entire time with a plastic cooking spoon. I started getting a little success when I switched to using a canning preserves system (mason jars suspended off the bottom of a large pot with a wire frame—like putting up fruit or using a double boiler.

I bought a candy thermometer but didn’t use it. Just keep the dye baths at or just under boiling and check a cap for the desired penetration / hue every few minutes. Heat is clearly a catalyst for dye—and even more so when in a pan verses a mason jar suspended in hot water. I’ve had four different colored dye baths going simultaneously; smarter to do just one at time. You have two time elements to contend with: 1) taking them out of the dye bath at the right time 2) scrubbing all the remaining residue of dye off once you remove them. You really have to vigorously scrub the caps (I used my hands in rubber gloves followed by a soapy toothbrush) to prevent the dye from drying unevenly …even if you are stirring the entire time.

Lighter colors like orange and yellow will take four times as long as gray, green and blue. Obviously you can’t dye from a darker color to a higher color with plastics—only the inverse.

Cool thing about Plastidip is that when you screw it up you can peel it off and start over again. Bad thing is it spits chunks when you get about 3/4 the way through the can. I found warming the cans with a blow dryer or hot water gives a much smoother spray pattern.

Offline E3E

« Reply #1035 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 18:21:34 »

The grey is iDye Poly Gun Metal.

It is pretty tedious, but most of that for me is in making all the mistakes. Originally I used small thrift store pans for dying. I know some people have no problem with this, but I kept getting splotchy results and edges that looked “burned”—even though I was stirring the entire time with a plastic cooking spoon. I started getting a little success when I switched to using a canning preserves system (mason jars suspended off the bottom of a large pot with a wire frame—like putting up fruit or using a double boiler.

I bought a candy thermometer but didn’t use it. Just keep the dye baths at or just under boiling and check a cap for the desired penetration / hue every few minutes. Heat is clearly a catalyst for dye—and even more so when in a pan verses a mason jar suspended in hot water. I’ve had four different colored dye baths going simultaneously; smarter to do just one at time. You have two time elements to contend with: 1) taking them out of the dye bath at the right time 2) scrubbing all the remaining residue of dye off once you remove them. You really have to vigorously scrub the caps (I used my hands in rubber gloves followed by a soapy toothbrush) to prevent the dye from drying unevenly …even if you are stirring the entire time.

Lighter colors like orange and yellow will take four times as long as gray, green and blue. Obviously you can’t dye from a darker color to a higher color with plastics—only the inverse.

Cool thing about Plastidip is that when you screw it up you can peel it off and start over again. Bad thing is it spits chunks when you get about 3/4 the way through the can. I found warming the cans with a blow dryer or hot water gives a much smoother spray pattern.

Noted. Thanks for the tips! I hope the stainless steel setup works well. I only plan on using one color, which is grey/black, so I'm grateful. I'll have to make sure and really wash the dye off and get scrubbing tools ready. I'll definitely have to practice on some junker caps before I go the whole 9 yards. I'm using RIT Dyemore, which comes in liquid form, so that should get over a lot of the hassle of ensuring the dye is properly dissolved and mixed.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #1036 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 18:52:34 »
I used one of those gold coffee filter baskets to dye my AEKII caps in, inside the pan of boiling dye mixture. It had a little handle on top so I could keep it off the bottom of the pan, by hanging it from a chopstick.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline mseaworthy

« Reply #1037 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 18:58:16 »

I'm using RIT Dyemore, which comes in liquid form, so that should get over a lot of the hassle of ensuring the dye is properly dissolved and mixed.

Some have said the formula for RIT has changed and no longer works on PBT. No idea if that's the case or not.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1038 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 19:20:43 »
Please let us know about the liquid dye.

My understanding is that liquid RIT never worked, and that powdered RIT has not worked properly since they changed the formula about 2012.

Fortunately for me, all my powdered RIT is old. I found it very forgiving - if I wanted a dark color I just boiled the ancient IBM PBT for many minutes and it was even and good. About residue - I never had any. After the dye bath, I rinsed them briefly and I was done. I may have shaken them in soapy water for a minute but probably didn't have to.

Last, I filtered my dye water to get out any particles and have re-used darker colors like red or black more than once and still gotten good results.

"They just don't make stuff like they used to."
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline E3E

« Reply #1039 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 19:29:49 »
Please let us know about the liquid dye.

My understanding is that liquid RIT never worked, and that powdered RIT has not worked properly since they changed the formula about 2012.

Fortunately for me, all my powdered RIT is old. I found it very forgiving - if I wanted a dark color I just boiled the ancient IBM PBT for many minutes and it was even and good. About residue - I never had any. After the dye bath, I rinsed them briefly and I was done. I may have shaken them in soapy water for a minute but probably didn't have to.

Last, I filtered my dye water to get out any particles and have re-used darker colors like red or black more than once and still gotten good results.

"They just don't make stuff like they used to."

I know what you mean. This is RIT dyemore which IIRC, is what JDCarpe used for his AEKII caps with great effect. Essentially, it's like an answer to the changed formula of the standard RIT dye. There's even an article showing that dyemore can dye ABS if supervised properly.

https://www.ritstudio.com/2015/04/09/how-to-dye-legos-with-new-rit-dye-more/#!

The dye more name is reference to its wider range of dyeing capabilities.

Thank you for the information on your experiences with RIT. I'm definitely eager to see how this all comes out, and I will report the results as I go along. This will all be part of another extensive build log.

Good to hear about reusing the colors as well. Do you just save the dye mixture in a jar or a bottle after you're done? I was wondering about multiple dye jobs with one batch of dye.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #1040 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 20:00:05 »

Give me about a week. I need to take pictures of my Zenith, I've been using it at work exclusively for the past week since finishing my restoration. Think you'd like it, though I wish I had a black label.

Gotta say, SKCL Greens *really* grew on me. Something about the incredibly subtle tactility and the force curve of the springs. It sometimes almost feels like the keys are being suspended by rubber bands that are being stretched, rather than a spring being compressed. The keys wobble, but I kind of like it. No lube on the sliders, just the spring to muffle the insane amount of ping. Also, the way the assembly is mounted to the top case gives it an interesting flex which works well. I kind of wish the buzzer (really it's more of a beeper) had an adjustable volume like my Model F though, but it's still fun. Alt + Esc to toggle it easily.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline E3E

« Reply #1041 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 20:13:51 »

Give me about a week. I need to take pictures of my Zenith, I've been using it at work exclusively for the past week since finishing my restoration. Think you'd like it, though I wish I had a black label.

Gotta say, SKCL Greens *really* grew on me. Something about the incredibly subtle tactility and the force curve of the springs. It sometimes almost feels like the keys are being suspended by rubber bands that are being stretched, rather than a spring being compressed. The keys wobble, but I kind of like it. No lube on the sliders, just the spring to muffle the insane amount of ping. Also, the way the assembly is mounted to the top case gives it an interesting flex which works well. I kind of wish the buzzer (really it's more of a beeper) had an adjustable volume like my Model F though, but it's still fun. Alt + Esc to toggle it easily.

I've got an old housing from a Z-150 I had that was XT. It had scratchy SKCL Yellows in it. If you want the black badge, I could see about removing it and mailing it to you. It's true, they look so much nicer than the beige badges.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1042 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 20:44:02 »
Good to hear about reusing the colors as well. Do you just save the dye mixture in a jar or a bottle after you're done? I was wondering about multiple dye jobs with one batch of dye.

Very good to know. Please report on your success or failure.

Yes, I strained the dye water and kept it in a glass jar until I needed it again. I think that I used black 3 times and red twice, at the minimum.

Offline E3E

« Reply #1043 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 21:21:42 »
Very good to know. Please report on your success or failure.

Yes, I strained the dye water and kept it in a glass jar until I needed it again. I think that I used black 3 times and red twice, at the minimum.

Will do! I've got a few PBT sets I don't care much about like some Cherry thin PBT and some Apple top hat caps (Apple IIc) and some spare AEK caps. So I think I should have enough trial and error before I move onto the main event.

I found what seems to be a mint AT101 with thick PBT caps (I have an AT101, but its alphas are shined). These are what I plan on dyeing. I was also considering dyeing an IBM 5140 set, but we shall see.

This will be for the Orion v2 I'm getting in. Having a Grey/Dark Grey PBT set would be really nice, but IBM's 5140 caps are nice and bright compared to the pebble tone of the AT101 caps, so I figure they might be nice to hang onto for maybe a Piano Black and White look. I'll dye the modifiers first to see.

Good to hear about reusing dye mixtures. I have a lot of masonry jars I could funnel the left over dye into. Sounds good!

Oh, and you said in the past that you've got a custom AT101 with blue Alps and PBT caps? Where did you source those? I remember you mentioned that barely any of the AT101s you've dealt with had the thick PBT caps everyone wants. I find them on the Salmon Alps US-made boards. Were they in mint condition as well?

Offline E3E

« Reply #1044 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 00:48:32 »
So, I made this today. Inspired by Sandy's switch tool opener, and having already ordered golf scoring pens, BUT too impatient to wait with these darn Neon Greens here.

I made my own.

I have no idea what these blue DREMEL branded things went to, but they're now DREMEL-brand Alps switch openers.

Inspired by Sandy's tool, but improved upon, I think. I noticed switches that have never been opened before are usually very stubborn and tend to stick. Need to wobble them a bit before they come loose.

This thing, with the stem added in the center, does all the dirty work for you.

These are a very flexible plastic which makes them PERFECT for this.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1045 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 06:19:56 »
Anyone here that haves a TKL alumunium LZ board that wants to try alps but don't have pcb and plate? now you could! cause the upcoming Leeku pcb and LZ plates supports all alumunium LZ TKL!

Sorry for the ads

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1046 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 06:23:14 »
So, I made this today. Inspired by Sandy's switch tool opener, and having already ordered golf scoring pens, BUT too impatient to wait with these darn Neon Greens here.

I made my own.

I have no idea what these blue DREMEL branded things went to, but they're now DREMEL-brand Alps switch openers.

Inspired by Sandy's tool, but improved upon, I think. I noticed switches that have never been opened before are usually very stubborn and tend to stick. Need to wobble them a bit before they come loose.

Hehe, I like that video. Nice DIY tool!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1047 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 08:29:03 »
you said in the past that you've got a custom AT101 with blue Alps and PBT caps? Where did you source those?

My blue switches came from a couple of LE-2014s that I bought a couple of years ago. The AT101W actually has orange in it.

I have been through a load of AT101s and only ever found one with a set of the PBT caps in "OK" condition.

Personally, I drool at the thought of a really nice set and would never dream of defiling them if I got them.
If you have an extra set I might be willing to trade you for them.

Offline mseaworthy

« Reply #1048 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 09:16:47 »

Very cool, useful tool. Would you consider posting the dimensions of the tines and especially the stem extension?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1049 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 09:33:27 »

Would you consider posting the dimensions of the tines and especially the stem extension?

And what is it and where did you find it?