Author Topic: Alps Appreciation Thread  (Read 2449142 times)

Offline mastermachetier

Re: Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #700 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 19:00:21 »
I am also interested in a sampler pack

At one point I think that Orihalcon was planning to put together some samplers. There is a problem that they (with the exception of Matias) are old and out of production. A company like Cherry has real incentive to help you evaluate before you decide which one of their products to purchase. There is little incentive for anyone to buy, process, sell, and ship scavenged Reagan-era gear "just to be nice"
Actually I hesitate whether I want to jump into world of vintage Alps. (some of) They are hard to find and the condition varies. Even in good condition, they are around 20 years old. Not sure how long they will last, but probably shorter than new switches. It will be very sad if I fall in love with some vintage Alps and can't find any replacement when my old switches fail. I am quite happy with Matias switch now. Maybe I should just stick with Matias switches.

I was happy with my brown until I found my blue. Then I tried alps orange and,yes life changed now I spend all my time on craigslist searching for old keyboards :(. That being said never tried mantias switches so who knows I could like those better. Oh and I have Zealious and gateron reds from a group buy coming in... What am I doing with my life.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #701 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 19:15:43 »
Even in good condition, they are around 20 years old. Not sure how long they will last, but probably shorter than new switches.
Electrically, complicated Alps switches are very sturdy and reliable. The “switchplate” part where the electrical contacts are is well sealed and makes a very clean electrical signal, switching from on to off with almost no bouncing. The design is much more effective than Cherry MX switches, or simplified Alps switches or other clones (e.g. Matias switches).

Time alone isn’t going to do any damage to complicated Alps switches stored properly in a box or under a dust cover. The main threats are metal leaf springs bent out of shape (if the ones which push the electrical contacts together get bent out of shape, the switch can stop actuating reliably), and dust/dirt getting into the switch internals where it adds a “scratchy” feeling to the switch. Bending of the leaf springs only happens if the keyboards are stored with the keys held down for years at a time (not a danger if you store your keyboard properly), or if they are used for full time typing for decades. Even then, the switches are easy to disassemble and with some finesse it’s usually possible to bend the metal leaves back into shape.

Obviously if you dump your keyboard in a lake, drop it 10m onto concrete, bury it in the dirt, etc. you can wreck Alps switches pretty easily. Under regular use and storage, however, one that is in good condition today should still be in pretty good condition in another 10–20 years.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #702 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 20:41:48 »
Here are some fun Alps keycaps:
Show Image

Show Image

I wonder what kind of printing those keys use.  :cool:
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #703 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 20:59:48 »
They’re mostly double-injection-molded ABS. Not sure about the cyrillic ones though.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #704 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 21:34:23 »
I'm amazed by alps keycaps. How the hell did they dyesub abs?

Offline mseaworthy

« Reply #705 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 16:17:57 »
For me, the bottom-line question is whether the "blue mystique" can be reproduced by modding more common switches. Specifically, I have a bag full of nice oranges that I am considering taking apart and rebuilding. I have never messed with Alps switches internally before.

I really need a tactile switch, but I have no need or desire for noise. In fact I consider the sound to be a disadvantage, but the feel is essential. A lighter force would be great but I will not be cutting any springs - too much too precise work to get real consistency. I have loads of spare switches, especially black, which I would rob for springs if I thought that they were significantly lighter, but I don't think they are.

Lubing seems to be the answer, and dry is clearly the way to go.

The other thing that I like about Alps is the high actuation point, but I don't think that will change in any case, will it?

While I am generally indifferent to the stock dampened cream style, I do appreciate that they seem to have the upstroke dampened, which is a good thing, but otherwise I plan to not get involved with them at this point.

@ fohat I recall in one of your recent posts you said you really like the tactile feel of Alps but don’t need or want much sound (or perhaps as little of it as possible).

I thought of those comments today when I finished restoring an AEK II with dampened white switches. I have cream damped, salmon, and orange alps but never tried damped whites prior to this. While they were quiet, I wasn’t sure they were damped until I opened up a switch to confirm it.

But they are a wonderful feeling and sounding switch—perhaps you have already sampled them, but I’d describe them as maybe 35% of the noise of an orange or salmon switch but not as crisp feeling. I know that’s really imprecise and it’s all personal, but I was really surprised great accomplishment of precision and feel for the comparatively low level lack of clack (not that I mind the clack, but there are times when less clack is desirable). I have a Matais Laptop Pro, and the white damped Alps are more quiet and offer a more satisfying feel.

It’s an odd comparison, but they feel vaguely similar to silenced HHKB switches—sound similar too but the sound is more of a is higher pitched “thock.” I still prefer a salmon switch, but this is a great quiet-time switch.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #706 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 16:39:58 »
Received my AEK with Oranges and the Magnavox VideoWriter with Brown Alps Mitsumi Hybrid today.  :'(
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #707 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 16:57:49 »
Mitsumi Hybrid today.  :'(
Oh ****, I didn't even know they could come with that :( . Good to know, should be wikified...
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline E3E

« Reply #708 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 16:59:03 »
Received my AEK with Oranges and the Magnavox VideoWriter with Brown Alps Mitsumi Hybrid today.  :'(

Were you hoping for brown linears or brown tactiles?

Brown SKCL, those slippery dogs!

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #709 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 17:20:47 »
Damn bro this one need to be wikified!
Btw can we rebuilt our GH wiki? I'm thinking on helping to rebuilt it so we get a good wiki too

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #710 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 17:21:59 »
@ fohat I recall in one of your recent posts you said you really like the tactile feel of Alps but don’t need or want much sound [...]  I thought of those comments today when I finished restoring an AEK II with dampened white switches. [...] But they are a wonderful feeling and sounding switch

Personally I don’t like the feel of dampened white switches. They feel lumpy and mushy, noticeably less pleasant than the cream switches (which are already not my favorite). YMMV though.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #711 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 17:22:32 »
Btw can we rebuilt our GH wiki? I'm thinking on helping to rebuilt it so we get a good wiki too
Just add stuff to the Deskthority wiki.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #712 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 17:24:42 »

can we rebuilt our GH wiki?

I think everyone here is gun shy that  r00tw0rm  will swoop in and erase it again.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #713 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 17:54:21 »
Exactly, it makes no sense to spend a lot of effort to rebuild something that already exists somewhere else :p . Better to work together to make something big and singular :) .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #714 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 18:31:31 »
Even though it is nice to have a wiki for GH, it is redundant to have multiple. I'd much prefer having only one wiki and contributing to it so that we don't have misinformation between wikis, etc. It just wouldn't make sense for someone to make a new wikipedia2 to compete with wikipedia, you know?

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #715 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 19:02:34 »
Even though it is nice to have a wiki for GH, it is redundant to have multiple. I'd much prefer having only one wiki and contributing to it so that we don't have misinformation between wikis, etc. It just wouldn't make sense for someone to make a new wikipedia2 to compete with wikipedia, you know?

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #716 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 19:06:43 »
Well its a hard truth. I think you guys are right! But its cool to have some wiki or information about custom korean board right?

Offline axtran

« Reply #717 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 19:21:32 »
Actually I hesitate whether I want to jump into world of vintage Alps. (some of) They are hard to find and the condition varies. Even in good condition, they are around 20 years old. Not sure how long they will last, but probably shorter than new switches. It will be very sad if I fall in love with some vintage Alps and can't find any replacement when my old switches fail. I am quite happy with Matias switch now. Maybe I should just stick with Matias switches.

I support this. Leave Vintage ALPS for the rest of us. ;)
MX Silent > MX Vintage Black > Everything Else

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #718 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 19:26:21 »
Exactly, it makes no sense to spend a lot of effort to rebuild something that already exists somewhere else :p . Better to work together to make something big and singular :) .
Who said that the GH wiki has to be the same as the DT wiki?
We just need to find some sort of feature for the GH wiki to have that the DT wiki won't.
Last year there was a movement to have the wiki started back up but that died. I would totally be in for helping recreate our wiki if we had the carte blanche.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #719 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 19:53:10 »
We just need to find some sort of feature for the GH wiki to have that the DT wiki won't.
Last year there was a movement to have the wiki started back up but that died. I would totally be in for helping recreate our wiki if we had the carte blanche.
Yes a wiki about custom and tricks and all caps info!

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #720 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 19:55:47 »
Well, the discussion here in particular was adding to existing lists of keyboards known to have particular types of switches. Seems stupid to put that anywhere but the existing Deskthority wiki.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #721 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 02:08:31 »
Can anyone guess what my latest project is?

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #722 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 02:12:42 »
Are those switches in the background “simplified” linear Futabas?

How much are you going to remake on that M0116? Whole new case? Cut down the PCB/plate or keep the same layout?

Are you keeping the springs as they are on the linear Matias switches? (I recommend swapping in some stiffer springs, e.g. from those other Alps switches in your pic.)
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 February 2016, 02:14:46 by jacobolus »

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #723 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 04:44:10 »
Can anyone guess what my latest project is?

Show Image

Nice!
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #724 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 07:58:07 »
In the background are Salmon SKCM, Futaba Sealed Linear, and CS Alps clones.I actually have a nice plate for the Futaba but that's useless without keycaps. I don't plan on changing the M0116 at this time, but some Retrobright is in order. Also not planning on changing the Matias at this time as I rather like them stock.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #725 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 08:49:05 »
Since I have the M0116.. is here an ADB-USB adapter that anybody is aware of?

Offline flabbergast

« Reply #726 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 08:56:08 »
Yes, you can get one from hasu: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=72052.0 (support the development of TMK and hardware!)
And someone from France is selling a 'commercial one' over on DT: https://deskthority.net/for-sale-f55/alps-keyboards-logitech-g500-and-steelseries-keycap-t12865.html
EDIT: Or you can wire one yourself, there's a link to 'instructions' thread on hasu's page linked above.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 February 2016, 08:57:55 by flabbergast »

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #727 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 08:56:51 »
Yes, you can get one from hasu: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=72052.0 (support the development of TMK and hardware!)
And someone from France is selling a 'commercial one' over on DT: https://deskthority.net/for-sale-f55/alps-keyboards-logitech-g500-and-steelseries-keycap-t12865.html

Thanks!

Offline piemancoder

« Reply #728 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 17:51:44 »
Can SP make PBT Alps spacebars? And woul anyone be interested in those?
Yoda grammar best has

Offline E3E

« Reply #729 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 18:09:05 »

The stem spacing on Alps is strange, so if this is for the idea of backwards compatibility, then I don't know how well that'd work. Old 7u Alps space bars with cruciform mounts do not have the same stem spacing as modern 7u space bars.

I'd like a full PBT Alps set in general though for sure.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #730 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 18:41:19 »

The stem spacing on Alps is strange, so if this is for the idea of backwards compatibility, then I don't know how well that'd work. Old 7u Alps space bars with cruciform mounts do not have the same stem spacing as modern 7u space bars.

Yeah I like a full pbt sets also!

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #731 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 19:44:13 »
I just did a writeup in the Making Stuff Together forum, explaining how an Alps click mod works. I even made a cutaway Alps switch for illustration:

Here's a link to the thread for anyone who's interested: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=79539.0

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #732 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 19:45:14 »
I just did a writeup in the Making Stuff Together forum, explaining how an Alps click mod works. I even made a cutaway Alps switch for illustration:

Show Image

Here's a link to the thread for anyone who's interested: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=79539.0
Really nice mods njbair!
Edit: I have to say again really nice write!

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #733 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 19:54:18 »

Same, I'd appreciate a full PBT set. I still like the idea of a set with secondary and maybe even tertiary legends though!  :)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #734 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 22:22:30 »
All righty, I think I'm ready to dip my toes in the world of Alps. I think I've decided on the AEK II, and hopefully Salmon.

Any other suggestions or is that a good place to start? At what price range should I consider searching on eBay or elsewhere? I've noticed that the prices are usually ~$50, so that seems do-able.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #735 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 23:48:06 »
All righty, I think I'm ready to dip my toes in the world of Alps. I think I've decided on the AEK II, and hopefully Salmon.

Any other suggestions or is that a good place to start? At what price range should I consider searching on eBay or elsewhere? I've noticed that the prices are usually ~$50, so that seems do-able.
I can help you get your toes into the alps world!. I got some alps that I'm about to sell hehe

Offline mastermachetier

« Reply #736 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 00:17:11 »
Do you guys know a cheap alps keyboard with Japanese legends hopefully something that isn't SKCC . I am in the US if that makes a difference.

Offline piemancoder

« Reply #737 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 06:40:34 »

Same, I'd appreciate a full PBT set. I still like the idea of a set with secondary and maybe even tertiary legends though!  :)

How hard would it be to run the GB by myself? That's kind of the main thing keeping me from making an interest check. Or maybe I could run it through massdrop.
Yoda grammar best has

Offline flabbergast

« Reply #738 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 07:13:07 »

How hard would it be to run the GB by myself? That's kind of the main thing keeping me from making an interest check. Or maybe I could run it through massdrop.
I am not aware of any manufacturer that would make PBT ALPS keycaps. It would be awesome... but the only source that I know of for PBT ALPS keycaps are old Apple keyboards. And still no PBT spacebar.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #739 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 07:28:29 »

I am not aware of any manufacturer that would make PBT ALPS keycaps. It would be awesome... but the only source that I know of for PBT ALPS keycaps are old Apple keyboards. And still no PBT spacebar.
Yeah that would be awesome!

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #740 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 07:28:37 »

Offline mastermachetier

« Reply #741 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 07:32:24 »

I can help you get your toes into the alps world!. I got some alps that I'm about to sell hehe

What are you putting up for sale my good sir.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #742 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 07:33:42 »

100ish orange alps
And mint blue apls board?

Offline toidbb

« Reply #743 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 07:47:52 »

100ish orange alps

<SNIP>

MODERATION NOTE: Do not circumvent the Classifieds Rules by posting outside of the Classifieds subforum.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 February 2016, 16:45:33 by ghostjuggernaut »

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #744 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 07:51:19 »

100ish orange alps

<SNIP>

MODERATION NOTE: Do not circumvent the Classifieds Rules by posting outside of the Classifieds subforum.
Wat
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 February 2016, 16:45:48 by ghostjuggernaut »

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #745 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 08:01:47 »

Always more PBT. Need PBT. Much.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #746 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 08:05:58 »

Salmon Alps in AEK2 are very rare. They only made a very few at the beginning of the run. A late-run AEK (1) would be much easier to find.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #747 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 08:19:02 »

Salmon Alps in AEK2 are very rare. They only made a very few at the beginning of the run. A late-run AEK (1) would be much easier to find.

Ah, gotcha. Would it be better to get an AEK I with Salmon or AEK II with dampened Cream?
Sorry, don't know much about this and trying to bolster my knowledge of Alps.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #748 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 08:20:30 »
Ah, gotcha. Would it be better to get an AEK I with Salmon or AEK II with dampened Cream?
Sorry, don't know much about this and trying to bolster my knowledge of Alps.

Depends on what you're going for. And dampened Cream Alps have an odd bottom out that no other switch other than Matias Quiet has. There's dampeners (I think rubber) in the switches so when you bottom out it's feels cushiony and a bit bouncy. The Salmon Alps kinda remind me of MX Browns. A light Tactile switch.

Offline toidbb

« Reply #749 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 08:21:23 »

100ish orange alps

<SNIP>

Wat

Like romevi trying to get into the Alps world, so I would be interested in what you are trying to sell...  It is hard to find cheap boards, and know the quality of the switches, so having someone who knows about them and already has looked them over really helps.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 February 2016, 16:46:11 by ghostjuggernaut »