Author Topic: Alps Appreciation Thread  (Read 2435410 times)

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
Re: Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #750 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 09:43:09 »

All righty, I think I'm ready to dip my toes in the world of Alps. I think I've decided on the AEK II, and hopefully Salmon.

Any other suggestions or is that a good place to start? At what price range should I consider searching on eBay or elsewhere? I've noticed that the prices are usually ~$50, so that seems do-able.
I can help you get your toes into the alps world!. I got some alps that I'm about to sell hehe

What are you putting up for sale my good sir.
100ish orange alps
And mint blue apls board?

Sold, just let me know where to send my pp address... :)
Wat

Like romevi trying to get into the Alps world, so I would be interested in what you are trying to sell...  It is hard to find cheap boards, and know the quality of the switches, so having someone who knows about them and already has looked them over really helps.

He never even said a price lol

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #751 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 10:00:22 »
Can SP make PBT Alps spacebars? And woul anyone be interested in those?

The stem spacing on Alps is strange, so if this is for the idea of backwards compatibility, then I don't know how well that'd work. Old 7u Alps space bars with cruciform mounts do not have the same stem spacing as modern 7u space bars.

I'd like a full PBT Alps set in general though for sure.

Same, I'd appreciate a full PBT set. I still like the idea of a set with secondary and maybe even tertiary legends though!  :)

How hard would it be to run the GB by myself? That's kind of the main thing keeping me from making an interest check. Or maybe I could run it through massdrop.
I am not aware of any manufacturer that would make PBT ALPS keycaps. It would be awesome... but the only source that I know of for PBT ALPS keycaps are old Apple keyboards. And still no PBT spacebar.

Matias has been making progress on aftermarket keycaps, including PBT dyesubs. No word yet on when they'll be available, though. See this thread.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #752 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 10:00:42 »
Ah, gotcha. Would it be better to get an AEK I with Salmon or AEK II with dampened Cream?
Sorry, don't know much about this and trying to bolster my knowledge of Alps.

Depends on what you're going for. And dampened Cream Alps have an odd bottom out that no other switch other than Matias Quiet has. There's dampeners (I think rubber) in the switches so when you bottom out it's feels cushiony and a bit bouncy. The Salmon Alps kinda remind me of MX Browns. A light Tactile switch.

Hmm... Not a fan of Browns, so maybe Salmon wouldn't be for me. Any tactile switches you recommend that are easy to obtain for a beginner like me?

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #753 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 10:07:41 »
Ah, gotcha. Would it be better to get an AEK I with Salmon or AEK II with dampened Cream?

Depends on what you're going for. And dampened Cream Alps have an odd bottom out that no other switch other than Matias Quiet has. There's dampeners (I think rubber) in the switches so when you bottom out it's feels cushiony and a bit bouncy. The Salmon Alps kinda remind me of MX Browns. A light Tactile switch.

Hmm... Not a fan of Browns, so maybe Salmon wouldn't be for me. Any tactile switches you recommend that are easy to obtain for a beginner like me?

Orange Alps are pretty easy to find. I would consider them a very good tactile switch.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #754 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 10:10:53 »

Orange Alps are pretty easy to find. I would consider them a very good tactile switch.

And those are usually in the AEK I, yes?

Offline toidbb

« Reply #755 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 10:13:23 »

I can help you get your toes into the alps world!. I got some alps that I'm about to sell hehe

What are you putting up for sale my good sir.
100ish orange alps
And mint blue apls board?

<SNIP>

MODERATION NOTE: Do not circumvent the Classifieds Rules by posting outside of the Classifieds subforum.
Wat

Like romevi trying to get into the Alps world, so I would be interested in what you are trying to sell...  It is hard to find cheap boards, and know the quality of the switches, so having someone who knows about them and already has looked them over really helps.

He never even said a price lol

True, I guess I expect that the prices to be fair... But I was just trying to tip him over to selling them as they are multiple interested members.

I blame the guy that asked him what he was selling! ;)
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 February 2016, 16:46:30 by ghostjuggernaut »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #756 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 10:15:17 »

Salmon Alps are NOTHING like MX browns xD . They're very nice switches, to date possibly the ones I type on fastest.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #757 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 10:18:41 »
maybe Salmon wouldn't be for me. Any tactile switches you recommend that are easy to obtain for a beginner like me?

Salmon was the replacement for orange and extremely similar. They are the best tactile (but non-clicky) switches of all, in my opinion.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #758 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 10:32:17 »
The Salmon Alps kinda remind me of MX Browns. A light Tactile switch.
They’re not very much like MX brown, IMO.

Orange and salmon Alps switches are very similar. They just changed the slider colors when they changed the generation of switch design in ~1990. Blue -> white, orange -> salmon, and green -> yellow.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #759 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 10:32:41 »

Salmon Alps are NOTHING like MX browns xD . They're very nice switches, to date possibly the ones I type on fastest.

I'm so conflicted!  :-\

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #760 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 10:34:23 »

Orange and salmon Alps switches are very similar. They just changed the slider colors when they changed the generation of switch design in ~1990. Blue -> white, orange -> salmon, and green -> yellow.

How significant were the changes? I know there is a lot of debate over whether blues and whites are really that different. But to me there seems to be a clear difference.

My boards:
More

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #761 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 10:41:05 »
maybe Salmon wouldn't be for me. Any tactile switches you recommend that are easy to obtain for a beginner like me?

Salmon was the replacement for orange and extremely similar. They are the best tactile (but non-clicky) switches of all, in my opinion.

Okay, neat. Looks like I'll be on the lookout for an AEK with orange or AEK II with Salmon.  :thumb:

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #762 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 10:46:14 »

Okay, neat. Looks like I'll be on the lookout for an AEK with orange or AEK II with Salmon.  :thumb:
Or a IIGS. Some of those have orange.

My boards:
More

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #763 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 10:48:43 »

How significant were the changes? I know there is a lot of debate over whether blues and whites are really that different. But to me there seems to be a clear difference.
It's hard to truly show any material differences between the two, but as far as I know, the vast majority of people agree blues are noticeably better than whites. The noise is also unmistakably different.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #764 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 10:49:47 »

Or a IIGS. Some of those have orange.

Oh, sweet. I'm also looking to get a board I can use the keycaps for if I ever decide to get a custom Alps board later down the road.
All I'd need to use it with modern computers is hasu's ADB-USB converter, yes?

Offline flabbergast

« Reply #765 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 10:53:38 »
Matias has been making progress on aftermarket keycaps, including PBT dyesubs. No word yet on when they'll be available, though. See this thread.
True! Forgot about the Matias 60% GB. Oh, when that hits the market, it will hit pretty hard :)

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #766 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 10:58:52 »
True! Forgot about the Matias 60% GB. Oh, when that hits the market, it will hit pretty hard :)
I'm kind of worried that they missed their window of opportunity. When that GB started there was no such thing as a V60 MTS, or even a hasu Alps64 PCB.

My boards:
More

Offline Delirious

« Reply #767 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 11:17:45 »
I'm kind of worried that they missed their window of opportunity. When that GB started there was no such thing as a V60 MTS, or even a hasu Alps64 PCB.

It still irks me to no end whenever I see the fat and skinny keys at the bottom row. That bottom row also makes all the current aftermarket 60% cases useless.

I really hope Matias 60% to be either extremely successful or massively failed, no middle ground life support bull****. Either it would be so revolutionary that the mass will adapt to it slowly, like HHKB, or it is utterly terrible that Matias has to rethink their direction. I would like the success route of course, since I already partook in it :-]

Offline flabbergast

« Reply #768 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 11:19:56 »
There will be two things working for them: the arrow cluster on the KB, and the PBT keyset. And also I think they've already funded the whole enterprise, so (at least the GB bit) should not be a completely losing proposition. Also once they'll have the molds (which should be funded essentially from the GB), they can start churning ALPS PBT sets and charging a relatively high price for them - regardless of success(hopefully) or failure of the 60% GB.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #769 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 11:26:34 »
It still irks me to no end whenever I see the fat and skinny keys at the bottom row. That bottom row also makes all the current aftermarket 60% cases useless.
The fat bottom row is really the only thing that distinguishes it from any other keyboard though.. without that there wouldn’t be much point IMO.

Offline E3E

« Reply #770 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 14:15:37 »

Yes, they are quite nice! I find them to feel the most similar to MX Clear or Ergo Clear switches than all the other tactile varieties. I've actually never tried MX brown, so I can't leave an opinion there.

Orange Alps are fantastic, but since they feel so much like blues to me, except a hair lighter and without the click, they tend to bore me these days.

Offline mastermachetier

« Reply #771 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 16:02:59 »
Found some interesting stuff over on goodwill although a lot of you have probably already discovered this .

2 Apple m0110A - currently at $10 5 days left
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Lo ... 07292.html

4 m0115 - currently at $11 5 days left

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Lo ... 06370.html

TRS 80 - $11 1 day left no bids so far

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/VT ... 99911.html

F122 27598022(1986) $5 6 days left

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/IB ... 98022.html

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #772 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 16:26:55 »
Found some interesting stuff over on goodwill although a lot of you have probably already discovered this .

Something happened to your links

Offline mastermachetier

« Reply #773 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 16:29:24 »

Something happened to your links

you are right the correct links are below

2 Apple m0110A - currently at $10  5  days left
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Lot-of-2-Apple-Macintosh-Keyboards-M0110A-1-27607292.html

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Lot-of-4-Apple-ADB-Extended-Keyboards-M0115-1-27606370.html

TRS 80 - $11  1 day left no bids so far

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/VTG-Radio-Shack-TRS-80-Color-Computer-2-Keyboard-27499911.html

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/IBM-Model-F-Computer-Keyboard-ID-No-R9726---1986-27598022.html

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #774 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 16:47:51 »
Any more discussion related to buying and selling will be removed.  Please maintain these types of discussion within the Classifieds subforum.

Thanks!

Offline mastermachetier

« Reply #775 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 17:14:45 »
Any more discussion related to buying and selling will be removed.  Please maintain these types of discussion within the Classifieds subforum.

Thanks!

Sorry figured it was allowed since alps !

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #776 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 17:16:12 »
Note: don’t use purple text on Geekhack. It’s entirely unreadable for anyone who uses the default black-background style.

Edit: if you need to use a color, orange is okay. Not ideal on a light background, but still readable on the common themes. Pink is a bit worse but still barely readable. (The rest of the colors are all completely worthless.) Just sticking to the default color is best overall though.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 February 2016, 17:27:06 by jacobolus »

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #777 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 17:17:50 »
Note: don’ use purple text on Geekhack. It’s entirely unreadable for anyone who uses the default black-background style.

Or one of the ~60 people using the orange theme.  :))

I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #778 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 19:05:23 »

Thanks!

Sorry figured it was allowed since alps !
Was not directed at you, sorry for the confusion.

Sorry about my purple text, I'll make sure to choose something else next time :)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #779 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 19:08:48 »

Romevi, you should also consider the V60 or V80 with Matias quiet click. I really think that switch is underrated.

I don't know, I got rid of mine pretty quickly. I apparently didn't have the same experience with them as others have so I wonder if my board was in bad condition. More testing is needed but I stick by my opinion until then XD.

« Last Edit: Wed, 10 February 2016, 19:11:12 by CPTBadAss »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #780 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 19:12:00 »

Romevi, you should also consider the V60 or V80 with Matias quiet click. I really think that switch is underrated.

I considered that too, but wasn't sure if I should get vintage Alps or Matias first.

Plus, the Vintage boards seem to be better on my wallet, but I have been itching to try a 60% Alps...

Offline toidbb

« Reply #781 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 19:20:30 »

I considered that too, but wasn't sure if I should get vintage Alps or Matias first.

Plus, the Vintage boards seem to be better on my wallet, but I have been itching to try a 60% Alps...

Romevi,

I second the V60 or V80, idea. I used the V80 today, so it is fresh in my mind.

Why didn't you like Browns?

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #782 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 19:32:01 »

Romevi,

I second the V60 or V80, idea. I used the V80 today, so it is fresh in my mind.

Why didn't you like Browns?

WAY too light. Almost linear, and I prefer heavier switches for linear.

Is the V80 programmable? Meaning Can I program a numpad in there like how the Realforce has one?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #783 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 19:43:41 »
Is the V80 programmable? Meaning Can I program a numpad in there like how the Realforce has one?

Don't think so but you can get hasu's USB to USB converter and then it won't matter :P

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #784 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 19:44:55 »

Don't think so but you can get hasu's USB to USB converter and then it won't matter
Hasu really are awesome!

Offline toidbb

« Reply #785 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 19:48:17 »

Don't think so but you can get hasu's USB to USB converter and then it won't matter :P

Yeah not with the stock controller. If you use Hasu's USB to USB then you have to find a different key to act as the fn key as the fn key will not register..

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #786 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 19:49:01 »

Don't think so but you can get hasu's USB to USB converter and then it won't matter

That's right! I keep forgetting about about that. God bless hasu.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #787 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 19:50:07 »

Yeah not with the stock controller. If you use Hasu's USB to USB then you have to find a different key to act as the fn key as the fn key will not register..

And...crap. The Fn key was vital. Don't suppose I can bypass this some other way?

Eh. Maybe I'll just see if I can get a custom Alps TKL and put Matias Quiet Click.

Offline toidbb

« Reply #788 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 19:52:55 »

That's right! I keep forgetting about about that. God bless hasu.

Also on the brown comparison to Matias QC switch.

The brown actuates in the upper middle of the travel, so the light feeling you talk about is probably all the travel prior to the actuation point, once you cross it, it also seems light.

The Matias QC actuates at almost the top of the travel so it feels heavier due to that and then the rest of the travel feels slightly lighter with a cushioned bottom out feeling..

That is my opinion on clicking both at the same time with different hands same finger. So it would depend on exactly what about the light feeling you did not like.

Offline toidbb

« Reply #789 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 19:54:44 »

And...crap. The Fn key was vital. Don't suppose I can bypass this some other way?

Eh. Maybe I'll just see if I can get a custom Alps TKL and put Matias Quiet Click.

Well the fn key will still work to switch the stock alternate layer, but if you program a numpad you would have to map a different one for that.

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #790 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 20:33:00 »
I think I saw a post about the clueboard store opening. Does anyone have experience with the clueboard pcbs?
I like the form factor, but I honestly wanted my alps project to be hand wired.

Offline toidbb

« Reply #791 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 20:37:12 »

I think I saw a post about the clueboard store opening. Does anyone have experience with the clueboard pcbs?

Yes, it just opened. He already sold out of stock in hand for the pcb. What are you wanting to know about it?

I may or may not know as I asked a few questions before ordering..

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #792 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 20:38:34 »

Yes, it just opened. He already sold out of stock in hand for the pcb. What are you wanting to know about it?

Just overall quality, and is it programmable?

Offline toidbb

Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #793 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 20:41:38 »

Just overall quality, and is it programmable?

From the accounts I have seen, it is of good quality. But this is second hand, I can report back once I receive mine. The board is programmable it uses TMK firmware.

Offline axtran

« Reply #794 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 00:06:15 »
Skullydazed has a great looking PCB and compatibility with aftermarket FC660M cases. I'd try one if I didn't already buy three Alps64 boards...
MX Silent > MX Vintage Black > Everything Else

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #795 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 00:14:57 »
Skullydazed has a great looking PCB and compatibility with aftermarket FC660M cases. I'd try one if I didn't already buy three Alps64 boards...

Link? Is that the Clue board mentioned above?

Offline axtran

« Reply #796 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 07:04:54 »

Yeah sorry. shop.clueboard.co

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #797 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 07:39:52 »

Yeah sorry. shop.clueboard.co
This is awesome! I didn't know about this PCB before. Did it just come out recently or has been around for a while?
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline axtran

« Reply #798 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 07:55:14 »
This is awesome! I didn't know about this PCB before. Did it just come out recently or has been around for a while?

It's been around under-wraps for a bit, but it's currently just hit general availability (well, not considering they're all sold out I think since people snagged them up super quick). :) PCB compatibility with both ALPS and MX, pretty cool cases, highly recommend it.

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #799 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 08:31:27 »

It's been around under-wraps for a bit, but it's currently just hit general availability (well, not considering they're all sold out I think since people snagged them up super quick). :) PCB compatibility with both ALPS and MX, pretty cool cases, highly recommend it.
It's definitely on my list to consider when I find a reason to build another keyboard next time ;D For now it's hard to justify getting another keyboard cos I have one desk and two keyboards, plus an incoming one. I really have more than I need.
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.