Author Topic: HHKB- Tactical Nuke  (Read 9162 times)

Offline Peripheral Prophet

• Lets change the game
HHKB- Tactical Nuke
« on: Tue, 21 June 2016, 13:03:11 »
Ill preface this by saying that I purchased the HHKB because of the programming/typing appeal, I do not game at all..

The HHKB and its topre switches are hands down exactly what i want a keyboard to feel and sound like..  Super sturdy, uber smooth keys and keystrokes, like butter...  The sound is like unicorns running in a field of coconuts and its absolutely soothing to the ear, I find myself typing more just to hear that beautiful sound..  Definitely a more noticeable tactile bump than the MX Browns on my ducky, which honestly makes me wonder about all the cherry mx hype altogether.. I can see the linear cherry switches and the gaming appeal maybe, but I cant imagine any of cherrys tactile switches comparing to these topre switches..

New key layout isnt that bad, Im already acclimating while more occasionally having to look at the board to get my footing..

The size is another huge plus, I cant ever go back to a full size keyboard after this, its absolutely amazing how much I notice my mouse being closer to where I need it... 

The usb ports are pretty useless, not a huge deal though..

I thought the keyboard for some reason was going to be sliding all over my desk, but so far that hasnt been an issue whatsoever.

Super happy with this keyboard, and unless there is a revision to this board, i can say this is definitely an end game board for me..

« Last Edit: Tue, 21 June 2016, 19:38:03 by Peripheral Prophet »
Check out my live build streams on twitch and join my discord! https://discord.gg/QzeSQj2  https://www.twitch.tv/peripheral_installer

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
Re: HHKB- Tactical Nuke
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 21 June 2016, 14:21:41 »
Glad to hear it arrived safely and that you are enjoying it.  Usually when people mostly like browns but feel as though Clears are too stiff the 45G HHKB is more or less the perfect balance of the two without being too heavy but yet still giving a superior tactility and smoothness.

The USB ports are useless though to this i agree and mentioned it in my HHKB review how remarkably little they will actually power.

The HHKB is one of my favorite 60%s in my collection where i constantly go back and forth between my top 3 favorites.

Pok3r backlit with MX Clears and BSP PBT Cherry profile caps
KBP V60 with MX Blues and Midnight DCS profile caps
and of course the HHKB itself (with a red PBT spacebar i am loving the feel of compared to the stock ABS spacebar)

If i HAD to choose a favorite it would be close between the MX Blues and HHKB....thing is though the HHKB does not bother my wife or other company..where as the Blues drive most people around me insane.

Hope you continue to enjoy it for many years to come.

Cheers

P.S the WHite logitech mouse with the WHite HHKB is a very nice touch, personally i'm definitely a Logitech mouse man myself with the G602 staying on my desk almost 24-7.
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 21 June 2016, 20:18:55 »
I would buy it if it had a key in the usual position off the ctrl key. I could forgive everything else if it was not for that one key.

Offline RobotMalcolmX

• hackerman
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 21 June 2016, 20:20:59 »
And they just look so good (despite having their photo taken with a potato).

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 21 June 2016, 21:49:51 »
Cherry MX have a very, very slight bump, almost like gritty reds.

I use HHKB for gaming too, and it's fine (unless you need quick access to lots of function keys).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

• Lets change the game
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 08:22:29 »

Love it!  Im thinking about the black caps for mine, and hopefully there are a few brocaps coming my way :)

Trying to keep it simple  :cool:
Check out my live build streams on twitch and join my discord! https://discord.gg/QzeSQj2  https://www.twitch.tv/peripheral_installer

Offline 9fiftyfive

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 16:08:08 »
Show Image

Where'd you get the textured keycaps?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline 9fiftyfive

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 16:09:29 »
I use an HHKB, and I have to say that it's the coolest keyboard I've used so far. I'm also getting a Pok3r for my second computer (I might as well try to switch it up), but so far it's my favorite

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 18:20:30 »
I know some users aren't a fan of the HHKB for programming because it lacks dedicated arrow keys. Is that an issue for you?

I noticed you keep your HHKB on a mat...I believe it's the best way to use the keyboard, but have you tried on other surfaces?

I think the feel of the regular HHKB is superb, but it's a bit loud for my taste. The Type-S fixes that problem for me but the feel isn't as optimal...swapping to silenced purple sliders and lubing the board now makes my HHKB Type-S my favorite keyboard of the bunch :)

I think some have said the Type-S and even the HHKB Professional BT is a bit of a revision - I am holding out for a white Type-S BT version with blanks (whenever that happens :)) )

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 18:32:25 »
The HHKB Pro 2 is an excellent choice. My favorite variant is a black HHKB Pro 2 silenced and lubed with blue alphanumerics, red Esc, and red Fn. The layout is perfect, including the cursor diamond.

• Lets change the game
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 19:43:30 »
I know some users aren't a fan of the HHKB for programming because it lacks dedicated arrow keys. Is that an issue for you?

I noticed you keep your HHKB on a mat...I believe it's the best way to use the keyboard, but have you tried on other surfaces?

I think the feel of the regular HHKB is superb, but it's a bit loud for my taste. The Type-S fixes that problem for me but the feel isn't as optimal...swapping to silenced purple sliders and lubing the board now makes my HHKB Type-S my favorite keyboard of the bunch :)

I think some have said the Type-S and even the HHKB Professional BT is a bit of a revision - I am holding out for a white Type-S BT version with blanks (whenever that happens :)) )

I use my mouse instead of my arrow keys so I dont really notice not having them to be honest..  I havent tried it on any other surface, its just a ducky extended pad, but it keeps the keyboard from moving and I honestly couldnt be happier with the setup..  As far as whether or not the type s is a revision or not, I do not know.

Offline RobotMalcolmX

• hackerman
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 08:10:11 »
Show Image

Where'd you get the textured keycaps?

I got them in a trade with another member, but they were originally available through a Brocaps raffle.

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 20:53:20 »
I would buy it if it had a key in the usual position off the ctrl key. I could forgive everything else if it was not for that one key.

This. Some people say having a key in the control position is not ergonomic. If you find that to be true, just don't use the key in that position; don't remove it entirely. And if ergonomics are that much of a concern for you, don't use an HHKB when you could use something like an Ergodox for example. Others put the control key where caps lock would be, which is fine, except that I put backspace there, which is the standard for Colemak. You will most likely press backspace far more than you press control. Typing accuracy for most people is probably between 85 and 95% (based on what I see in typeracer and such) which would put backspace as one of the most pressed keys (assuming you use that rather than delete). Having backspace where caps lock is is likely more beneficial than having control there. I also don't like the position of the function key on the HHKB because it makes me move my hand away from the home row. On my programmable keyboards I use right alt as the function key.

Also not having dedicated arrow keys can be annoying sometimes. A particular use case is wanting to highlight one word. The shortcut for this is shift+control+direction. On an HHKB this then becomes shift+control+function+direction. When you start having to hold so many modifiers it becomes a bit mentally confusing. I don't have this problem when programming because I use a Vim plugin for my IDE, so I highlight words in a different way, but when not in a programming environment, say when using Notepad++ or something, it can be an issue.
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline YourMatt

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 11:52:44 »
The usb ports are pretty useless

I use a wireless Logitech mouse, and I like to keep the dongle plugged into my keyboard USB port. I keep the keyboard plugged into a KVM switch, so when I switch computers the mouse goes along with the keyboard. It's a specialized use for sure, but it a pretty useful one regardless.

Offline ReverbSlush

• 16/52 RNG score
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 13:04:45 »
I use the USB port for my Yubikey (2 factor auth)... it's nice to have there by the keyboard instead of hunting for an open port on the computer!

Offline Altis

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 19:09:04 »
The usb ports are pretty useless

I use a wireless Logitech mouse, and I like to keep the dongle plugged into my keyboard USB port. I keep the keyboard plugged into a KVM switch, so when I switch computers the mouse goes along with the keyboard. It's a specialized use for sure, but it a pretty useful one regardless.

You could also get a short USB flash drive that's nearly flush with the back of the keyboard so that you can bring files between your computers.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 09 October 2016, 00:28:26 »
Ill preface this by saying that I purchased the HHKB because of the programming/typing appeal, I do not game at all..

You gutted me with that silly title - "HHKB - Tactical Nuke".

I thought you modified it into an all metal shell casing (5kg) for all out WAR but no, just another plain-jane, all plastic keyboard masquerading as a "mechanical keyboard".

Shame on you  :'( .