Author Topic: Why I'm returning my Filco...  (Read 9675 times)

Offline RobbieFresh

Why I'm returning my Filco...
« on: Mon, 16 April 2018, 14:47:42 »
I'm returning my brand new Filco Majestouch 2 (Cherry Blues) after only 3 days. I'm just not that impressed. I currently have a Rosewill RK-9000v2 (also cherry blue), and honestly, I'd much rather type on it than the Filco. I've noticed that the Filco Blues feel much "heavier" and "springier" than on the Rosewill for some reason. My fingers get tired only after a few minutes on the Filco. The Rosewill Blues feel much smoother and lighter. I understand this could be due to different switch "batches" but I'm not buying that. For all intents and purposes, the keyboards are essentially the same, and I'd argue that the Rosewill is nicer: detachable cable, media keys, metal outer case, slightly nicer keycaps, etc. Even the Rosewill packaging is nicer. I know there's been some complaints about the usb port on the Rosewill, but I've never had a problem.

Now don't get my wrong, the Filco is built like a tank for sure. I know that Filco's have been touted for their build quality, but honestly, I don't think the apparent higher build quality makes it worth twice as much as the Rosewill. 

I really wanted to like it because of it's legendary status, but I just can't. Of course, this is my opinion and others may have had different experiences. Anyone else have a similar experience though?
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 April 2018, 14:55:35 by RobbieFresh »

Offline saxophone

Re: Why I'm returning my Filco...
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 23 April 2018, 03:56:59 »
What's so legendary about Filcos? All they have is being out early and having rep of being "solid". They have literally none of the features that modern keyboards should have: Detachable USB-C Cable? No. Cable path below the chassis to choose where for it to exit? No. Backlight? No. PBT caps? No. Macro Keys or programmability? No. Optical switches for removed debounce and less actuation high variation between keys? No.

The functionality it provides is really none better than that of the cheap chinese knockoff brands sold for 40$ on aliexpress/amazon/ebay while costing as much as premium keyboard. Honestly makes me wonder why people bother with this.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 April 2018, 03:58:32 by saxophone »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 23 April 2018, 04:55:33 »
I don't understand the demand for basically any modern premium-brand keyboards anyway xD .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 23 April 2018, 06:32:23 »
Rosewill's detachable cable: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=35679.0

The main difference between cheap and expensive Costar keyboards is the PCB: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=63497.0

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 23 April 2018, 06:40:11 »
Filco's niche is plain, professional boards with high quality components and assembly. They're not the only ones on the block any more in that department, but they're still fairly nice if you want something that will last I'd imagine.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 06:45:10 »
I don't understand the demand for basically any modern premium-brand keyboards anyway xD .

They're young people -Chyros-..

We're suppose to dislike them, and they're suppose to confuse and h8 us back.

That's the cycle

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 07:33:38 »

That's the cycle

Speak for yourself :p .

I just look down on their crappy keyboards :p .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 17:52:40 »

That's the cycle

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 07:44:16 »
Filco is a good board and would last a long time :)
The only thing I dislike about Filco is that they don't have media keys.

For some reasons, Filco from retailers in my country has like... 5 years guarantee, no ideas where they got that confidence from. Originally Filco has 1 year guarantee, I think.

Offline Riverman

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 02 May 2018, 10:57:54 »
If I was in the market for a brand new keyboard, I'd buy a Leopold over a Filco in a heartbeat.  I think the used prices for Filcos are more indicative of their true value.  I've bought a couple for around $60 on eBay, and I think they're a great deal for that price, but definitely not at $100+.  The main reason I have the Filcos I do have is because the layout is completely standard and there's nothing weird or off-putting about their appearance.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 02 May 2018, 11:02:14 »
Most mass-produced keyboards depreciate in value after being used, $60 is still a fair price to pay.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline hyperlite218

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 20:31:17 »
For the money i would much rather build a cheap custom.

Offline Pewpew

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 20:34:06 »

That's the cycle

Show Image

I feel you  :D