geekhack Marketplace > Group Buys and Preorders

[GB] GMK Modern Dolch Light

<< < (42/45) > >>

pool:

--- Quote from: _rubik on Fri, 17 September 2021, 17:57:01 ---
--- Quote from: pool on Fri, 17 September 2021, 16:29:54 ---Show Image

Show Image

--- End quote ---

I was considering getting one of the extras, but after seeing this I'm seriously thinking twice.

Could you take pictures under natural light (unless that was already)?

--- End quote ---
My apartment during the day is about 5300 Kelvin color temperature give or take, but it was a bit of a cloudier day so it might even be higher Kelvin that day. About as normal of a color it can get in most people's apartments.

I can take some pictures later with my studio lighting setup that can go between 3000-6000 Kelvin. But I know it still won't match what the renders suggest which is much much more desaturated.

pool:

--- Quote from: Dinerenblanc on Fri, 17 September 2021, 19:35:02 ---
--- Quote from: pool on Fri, 17 September 2021, 16:29:54 ---Finally got the time to inspect my set... and all I can say is I am incredibly disappointed.

The gray is 2-3x darker than the renders/marketingmaterial imply. The mod/esc key are about 50% more saturated.

The set looks nothing like the colors on the box art which is more of an accurate representation of what I (and many others) expected.

https://imgur.com/a/N5bLNZ0

No way you can look at even the gray and say that looks anything like these: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0054/0878/4458/products/01_Standard_700x.png?v=1630693867

Super super disappointing.

I was under the impression that Omnitype is one of the best in the game in terms of color matching since you guys take it very very seriously by using scientific instruments. But something either went wrong with your color matching process, or these were the right colors all along and something went wrong with your renders and marketing material..
Can we as customers get an answer to what happened here?

--- End quote ---

Studio lighting vs Florescent lighting

--- End quote ---

EDIT:

Here you go, since you mention studio lighting (3300K) vs florescent lighting (~5000K), I gave you the whole spectrum that my kelvin-adjustable studio lights has (3300K to 5600K).

Camera + lens: Sony A7III + 35 mm 1.4

Photos shot at fixed color temperature on my camera at 5500K to aim to be as neutral as possible. Shot at f5.6. All photos are raw unedited straight from camera (converted to JPEG).

I even threw in a GMK sample color ring and a RAL R7 color swatch that's used for GMK for color matching. Lights in my room all turned off + blinds all shut so there's as little outside light as possible to affect internal room color temperature.

For this experiment, I incremented from 3300K up at 500K increments up until the limit of 5600K.

To test my hypothesis of Omnitype's renders using an overly large flood light that desaturated all the colors, I brought my light as close as I could to the keycap set, and it does look closer to their renders.

Omnitype's renders

I think the pictures speak for themselves.

tl;dr I think the renders are inaccurately lighted leading to blow out of saturation leading to a much more desaturated render when compared to the real colors.

What

The color temperature of my room and light source doesn't affect color saturation so much that the colors become 50% more saturated and the grays 2-3x darker

The only way my picture could look like Omni's renders are if I have a very very large neutral light at around 5500 that blows all the colors and saturation out. My room has a similar color temp but not light intensity, but the results won't be that dramatic of a change.

pool:

--- Quote from: _rubik on Fri, 17 September 2021, 17:57:01 ---
--- Quote from: pool on Fri, 17 September 2021, 16:29:54 ---Show Image

Show Image

--- End quote ---

I was considering getting one of the extras, but after seeing this I'm seriously thinking twice.

Could you take pictures under natural light (unless that was already)?

--- End quote ---

Pictures added in above comment.

finalarcadia:
Doing god's work my man

pool:

--- Quote from: finalarcadia on Fri, 17 September 2021, 22:09:14 ---Doing god's work my man

--- End quote ---

I'm not trying to cause drama or start ****. If Omnitype did indeed make a mistake with their renders, they can just admit it and promise to do better for next time. If they messed up in color matching, same thing, just admit it and do better next time. I wouldn't even be mad.

Ignoring us and hoping we'll forget about it is pretty rude.

And paying >$150 for a TKL base kit (no numpad!) and defending a (genuine) mistake is also pretty silly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version