Author Topic: [IC] Organic hardwood plates for 60% Boards  (Read 6176 times)

Offline kwhilden

[IC] Organic hardwood plates for 60% Boards
« on: Wed, 29 December 2021, 19:13:58 »

Introduction

Greetings all...  I joined this hobby in 2019, and have been tweaking and customizing my own boards for a while. I've had great feedback from my friends in the hobby, and now I would like to find out if there is interest in the wider community.

A bit about me... i'm a geologist and "dig" the parallel explosion of the mechanical keyboard hobby to the famed Cambrian Explosion 540 million years ago.  All kinds of new animals evolved in a very short time, which is similar to the diversity of keyboard types, switches, and more that have evolved in the past few years. 

So here's my first contribution... a hand-made hardwood plate for 60% keyboards.  Under the auspices of the most famed animal from Cambrian epoch, the Trilobite. 

Organic Hard Wood Plate for 60% Keyboards

I'm also an audiophile and very keen on sound quality. I created this plate to have an excellent and unique sound signature.

The thick hardwood plates have outstanding resonance and tone. There's nothing like it in the market, although if pressed I would call it a cross between carbon fiber and polycarbonate, but with a more organic and less plastic sound.

Plate Specs:
  • 60% tray mount plate
  • 3.0mm thick 3-layer hardwood veneer
  • fixed layout for improved sound + aesthetics
  • laser cut "ledges" for better fitment of switches and stabs
  • Handmade in California, USA
  • Price: $50 ea.

As I'm just starting in manufacturing products for our hobby, your feedback will EXTREMELY appreciated, both in this post and in an interest check form. 

INTEREST CHECK FORM -->> https://forms.gle/R9oFpDJk8rKH1nu28

These plates are manufactured with three layers of hardwood veneer, vacuum bagged with epoxy resin.  They are strong and durable, even for use in hotswap boards. Although some care is needed in comparison to metal or plastic plates. 

I have been testing various types of hardwood veneers. Each has different sound and visual characteristics:
  • Maple hardwood:  most resonant tone, loudest "thock"
  • Cherry hardwood: deepest tone
  • Zebra wood: medium tone, outstanding visual appearance

A key innovation is creating "ledges" for switch fitment, as switches are designed to be clip into 1.5mm plates. Similarly, stabilizers also need some extra space to fit under a 3.0mm plate.  So some very careful tuning of the laser cutter was required.  See below image for clarity. 

Sound Tests and Reviews

I am beyond stoked that Quakemz helped me review earlier iterations of the plates.  Here's a build stream with a near-final version:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/jpgaVi-Slkw?start=7680

I have also recorded sound tests with various woods, such as maple, cherry, and zebrawood. Check them out here:
Trilobite Boards Youtube page

Other Woods

I'm currently experimenting with other types of woods, to create a specific look and improved sound.  Many different veneers combinations are possible. But always keeps two layers of maple hardwood underneath for improved sound and strength.

Zebra wood:

Maple wood:

Walnut wood:

Cherry wood:

Additional Photos

Full gallery: https://imgur.com/a/7csJfPN

I developed this plate on a Mekanisk Fjell, and have tested it in many other 60% tray mount boards.

Broken-in lubed creams sound especially good in this plate.

View of the bottom, showing all "ledges" for switches and stabs.

The plate has a fixed tsangan layout, with option for stepped capslock and split backspace. Other layouts can be made if there is sufficient interest.

Conclusion

As this is my first IC, all constructive feedback and questions are welcome!  I have more keyboard projects in the works, if this first project is successful.  Thank you for your consideration.

« Last Edit: Sun, 13 February 2022, 16:19:49 by kwhilden »

Offline KRY2SOON

• Divine Studios
Re: [IC] Trilobite thick cherry wood plates for 60% Boards
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 29 December 2021, 20:09:18 »
keen

Offline Ensaum

Re: [IC] Organic cherry wood plates for 60% Boards
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 30 December 2021, 09:50:08 »
Interesting. As for other woods, I wonder if guitar tonewoods like maple, koa, or rosewood would make any noticeable difference in sound.

Offline kwhilden

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 30 December 2021, 17:05:25 »
Yes different woods definitely change the sound signature.  Also the visual look too.  Especially the visual aspects in fact!

I chose Cherry as the first wood because it's a good mix of sound quality, durability and affordability, compared to other hardwoods.  Some other woods are more brittle, and others can get very expensive. Cherry is a great combination of desirable qualities and good looks.

Interesting too is that the double thickness wood plate doesn't benefit from foam.  There's just not much airspace between the plate and PCB that is not filled with wood.  This also has the benefit of allowing the natural sound of the wood to be undiminished. 

Offline Faceman76

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 30 December 2021, 18:25:04 »
I need one in Padauk for a TKC1800. 

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TKC 1800, Crystal Box Navy, Sprit 100g

Offline kwhilden

Re: [IC] Organic hardwood plates for 60% Boards
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 17 January 2022, 14:24:31 »
Added some photos of a zebra wood plate.  This has outstanding looks because the grain pattern is tight on the scale of a keyboard.  Cherry also has nice grain, but the patterns are too large to be readily visible. 

The plate still has two-layers of cherry underneath the zebra, so it maintains the excellent sound and durability properties that cherry provides. 

I'm in the process of testing more hardwoods.  Hope to release this GB soon. 

Feedback welcome!

Offline Filesynced

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 18 January 2022, 06:34:39 »
This is looking so good, cannot wait till I have that Dark MultiSoul Streak on my desk!

Offline Friendship

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 19 January 2022, 08:43:41 »
very cool to see how the bottom layer is altered to accept switches to be clipped in. I wonder, could that same material reduction also be done around the plate perimeter to allow for O-ring gummy mount? I don't have any tray mount boards but I do have an O-ring gummy mount board coming.
Collection: LZ GHv2, Esheu Fallacy, Moesode Bliss, Daji Ocho Cuatro, Ace Saturn60, Bolsa Midway60, MLI NUM1, MLI VISION, PW ROTR

Offline Cylent

• Formerly cylentshadows
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 19 January 2022, 08:46:26 »
Cool idea, but how is cherry wood "organic?"

Offline Friendship

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 19 January 2022, 12:09:02 »
Cool idea, but how is cherry wood "organic?"

was living matter at some point, the binding epoxy resins is not though
Collection: LZ GHv2, Esheu Fallacy, Moesode Bliss, Daji Ocho Cuatro, Ace Saturn60, Bolsa Midway60, MLI NUM1, MLI VISION, PW ROTR

Offline kwhilden

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 13 February 2022, 16:08:36 »
Update with more wood types and sound tests available.  This is getting close to launching the GB...

Here's one of the best sounding combinations so far:

Offline vkeycaps

• Artisan keycaps maker
    • Website/Store
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 14 February 2022, 04:38:42 »
How strong it is? Can it be damaged by swapping switches?

Offline kwhilden

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 14 February 2022, 09:28:24 »
I have done extensive testing with hotswap boards on these plates.  There's no obvious damage to the switch holes on my test plates. 

The wood is multiple layers of vacuum laminated with epoxy resin, which adds strength, flexibility and resistance to cracking.  With the exotic veneers, the bottom two layers are still maple hardwood, which is very strong and provides extra strength to the switch holes.

I think the plates are fine for repeated hotswap.  Having said that... wood is less durable than plastic or metal.  So it does require a little bit more care. I'm always careful to use a switch puller device properly. 

Offline vkeycaps

• Artisan keycaps maker
    • Website/Store
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 14 February 2022, 09:32:14 »
Makes sense, thank you. Will keep an eye on your project. Subscribed via IC form

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 04 March 2022, 09:10:54 »
Sale post has been split off from this IC thread and is located here. :thumb: