Author Topic: My ergonomic center focused 40% ortholinear layout (with Swedish ÅÄÖ as bonus)  (Read 4136 times)

Offline fnurl

I have been tinkering with a 40% layout that also has the Swedish chacters ÅÄÖ for a few months now and am happy enough with it to share it here. The last piece of the puzzle was applying it to a 40% ortholinear keyboard. I received mine a few days ago and was happy to find out that the layout worked out great (for me at least).

Most features have nothing to do with accommodating for the Swedish characters since the main point of the layout is to move stuff to the middle and center rather than having important keys all around the edges of the layout.

152272-0

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/0bf9fbd11616e7ac71166113fb44888a

The ergonomics of the layout comes from the following:

• reposition parenthesis (all of them, (){}[]<>) so that they are symmetrically and logically positioned
  • get rid of the top number row which requires extra streching of my fingers
  • use an ortholinear keyboard to make things even more symmetrical
  • a 40% keyboard keeps all keys very reachable
  • move enter and backspace to the thumbs instead of the pinkey finger
  • use thumbs as main modifier fingers rather than pinky fingers

Here is a picture of my keyboard as well (a Terminus Mini 2 with Gateron Browns, Magicforce Typewriter keycaps, and stickers on the top plate.

152274-1

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females

hahaha.

Hi fnurl..

There's only so much one can do on flat keyboards..  wrist angle makes all the difference in the end..

I've messed with layouts for a whole year before coming to that conclusion..

Offline fnurl

Yeah... can't argue with that. I'm hoping it will be better than a standard layout on an ordinary keyboard though. Will just have to see :)