Author Topic: How to repair Kinesis Advantage USB rubber ESC Key?  (Read 4601 times)

Offline flathill

How to repair Kinesis Advantage USB rubber ESC Key?
« on: Fri, 23 December 2016, 04:53:09 »
Hello
It is often that KINESIS Advantage 's rubber ESC key is broken or does not respond when pushed.
I would like to repair, so please tell me if there are reference parts for replacement parts and repair methods.

Best regards!

Offline vvp

Re: How to repair Kinesis Advantage USB rubber ESC Key?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 23 December 2016, 06:27:28 »
It will be probably enough to take it apart and clean the rubber key and the PCB it is pressing against with alcohol.
The worst case is when the PCB itself is damaged. A friend was fixing this with some kind of conductive paint.

Offline Salt Peanuts

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 23 December 2016, 17:54:17 »
The function row key PCB/parts are hot-sealed to the top case.  They are held together to the case with melted small plastic pellets.  Removal of function row is fairly easy as you can just cut the melted plastic holding the assembly to the case at three points.  To put it back on, you'd need to use some kind of adhesive, unless you have a heat-staking tool.

Kinesis does sell replacement function row parts.  Couple of months ago, I was quoted $10 for each side of the function row (so $20 for both left and right function rows).  They do also sell a top case with function rows already installed for $50 (other parts are held together with screws so transfer to a new case is fairly straightforward).

Offline flathill

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 25 December 2016, 08:37:07 »
Thank you very much for your helpful information.

I tried disassembling KINESIS but I did not have the courage to remove black plastics.
If courage comes out, I would like to remove plastic and purchase replacement parts from KINESIS and exchange.

Thank you very much.