Author Topic: [IC] F62+F77! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards  (Read 376878 times)

Offline shrubkeys

Re: [IC] F62+F77! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards
« Reply #1550 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 22:42:31 »
Ellipse: Unless I'm missing something, your website currently has the deadline @Oct. 31 - but weren't you keeping orders open until after the compact cases ship?
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 October 2016, 15:44:57 by shrubkeys »

Offline richvs

« Reply #1551 on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 17:59:47 »
Ellipse:
Wow. Congratulations on an excellent project; I've signed up here just for this.

I'm interested in your front printed Fn keys in a UK format. I've sent an email (actually a few :D).

I'm also keen on a front-print of Esc on the upper-left key and an Fn key in the front-print colour (for the split right shift position).

Is it possible to print the top numerals/symbols as black dyesub and only use the green colour for the front-print?

This would make the keyboard more intuitive if someone else wanted to use it (if I were to let them!).

Cheers!

Offline Ellipse

• Brand New Model F Keyboards
« Reply #1552 on: Sat, 05 November 2016, 11:11:06 »
(Replied over email)

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1553 on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 15:27:52 »
Here's an interesting YouTube video I came across on making injection molds: 

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1554 on: Tue, 15 November 2016, 22:57:20 »
A working ultra compact case prototype is still expected by end of November/early December.  These cases will be hard anodized either black or standard gray, not powdercoated.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1555 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 20:34:21 »
I'm curious - how many of you are waiting until the completed ultra compact case prototype before ordering?  I see some names from the interest list who have not yet ordered (or maybe they left the user name blank on the order form).

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #1556 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 23:12:04 »
I'm waiting on the completed ultras. I might still buy a full sized, but I really only have enough money for one or the other.

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #1557 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 02:26:50 »
Also waiting, but hoping on more delay, because a lot of cool stuff came out while I was waiting and now I am missing the funds.

Offline Cods

• Penumbra SA Mark II please?
« Reply #1558 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 14:38:42 »
Ordered and paid earlybird fro an F62 and and F77. Now just waiting for delivery.  ;)
Model M Industrial, SSK, Unicomp 104, Code TKL MX Green, FC660M MX Green + Clear + White + Grey, FC660C Topre 45g, MagicForce 68 USB and Bluetooth, Whitefox, some optical switch 65% Bluetooth split spacebar thing ... wait, I think I need an intervention. Too late, there’s a couple of new Model Fs on the way.
Too much SA is never enough.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1559 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 16:50:17 »
Can anyone explain to me how to access the function layers on the F62?  I am assuming that it isfully programmable with the software, but I can't find exactly how to go about it.  I prefer to switch caps to function and using wasd or IJKL for arrow keys.  Are there any default function layouts like on other 60% boards?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1560 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 17:29:06 »
reececonrad, here is the manual which includes a section on the function layers:  http://downloads.cornall.co/ibm-capsense-usb/installation_model_f.pdf

Yes it's programmable with a GUI and the software and firmware are open source.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1561 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 18:42:21 »
Thanks for the link.  As someone who spends all day at a computer and owns multiple programmable keyboards, the instructions look to be about as simple as open heart surgery.  I guess I'll have to buckle down and read through it carefully to make more sense of it.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1562 on: Sat, 26 November 2016, 14:17:27 »
Yes I recommend that everyone looks through the manual to learn more about the full capabilities of the hardware inside their new F62/F77, even if they just want to look at how to customize the GUI options.  http://downloads.cornall.co/ibm-capsense-usb/installation_model_f.pdf

Pages 6 through 14 are most relevant.

If you are interested in the xwhatsit project development history and technical underpinnings of the xwhatsit keyboard controller used in this project, please take a look at this article:  http://downloads.cornall.co/ibm-capsense-usb-web/ibm-capsense-usb.html

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1563 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 23:07:17 »
boom. ordered.  I'm now poor.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #1564 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 01:39:56 »
boom. ordered.  I'm now poor.

No you're not, you are now part of something far greater  8) .

Offline supamesican

« Reply #1565 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 17:42:45 »
Oh boy is this still going on? I just got a raise today now i can afford it! I'll order after dinner. Cant wait to get the biggest one

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1566 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 17:55:44 »
Yes orders are still being accepted!  The F77 is a great one - I have been typing on the prototype since January and it is great - very smooth typing and nice clickiness!

Offline supamesican

« Reply #1567 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 19:56:27 »
Awesome! I just ordered it. The page froze and I had to exit it, but I got the confirmation email so I'm guessing it went through okay.

Can't wait to type on that 77, I have a few classic model fs, but man a new one fresh out of the box thats nice and programmable is going to be so awesome!  I think I may be at end game now unless I can find a cheap f 122 key to just sit on the shelf in my china cabinet.

Offline supamesican

« Reply #1568 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 08:56:25 »
Also one question, the number keys uptop on the ANSI layout do they have the f1-f12 keys like the hhkb layout? The pic on your website looks like they do, but without an fn key how would I use them? Or is it just as easy as me needing to turn say the blank key between left control and alt into an fn key in the programmable software? I hardly ever use em so its not that big a deal ether way, but I am curious.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1569 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 10:49:26 »
Yes, you program a key on the main layer to be a function key in the software. 

Offline supamesican

« Reply #1570 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 11:49:41 »
Oh thats easy, ugh the hype is building quickly.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1571 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 14:13:33 »
Oh thats easy, ugh the hype is building quickly.

I'll wait and see if I have issues before I would call it "easy", but yes, in theory it should be easy.  The only thing that is worrisome to me is the lengthy section in the instructions on dialing in the voltage calibration.  Maybe it won't be as daunting as it seems upon first read.  I'm willing to tough it out for such an beautifully designed piece of hardware.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1572 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 16:03:45 »
They will come preprogrammed and tested with voltage settings, though you will need to customize the layout with the GUI if you want something slightly different than what it comes with.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1573 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 16:22:42 »
They will come preprogrammed and tested with voltage settings, though you will need to customize the layout with the GUI if you want something slightly different than what it comes with.

Well that makes me feel a lot more confident.  I can certainly map keys.  Glad to hear it!

Offline supamesican

« Reply #1574 on: Fri, 02 December 2016, 07:59:42 »

Thats what I was expecting, that should be easy enough. If I can code a gui I should be able to use one.

Offline supamesican

« Reply #1575 on: Thu, 08 December 2016, 10:38:21 »
So quick question, is it too late to change my layout to the HHKB split right shift and split backspace one from the ansi one? If it is too late thats completely fine, but the more I use this hhkb at work the more I think this layout + dedicated arrows and numpad on the f77 may be the best thing ever. I ordered keycaps too so i'm guessing this may drive the price up some, which is fine, but I figured no use in not asking.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1576 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 16:49:15 »
Nope not too late!  Let me know soon what you decide!  To make the upgrade, please add 10 units of this store item:  https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/other-customizations-in-1-increments/ and choose free local pickup.

Offline supamesican

« Reply #1577 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 18:27:58 »
Awesome I'll go do that right now cause I do want the hhkb layout with split right shift and split backspace on my f77. Ohh so excited now!

EDIT: aaaaaaaaand done! = D
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 December 2016, 18:31:34 by supamesican »

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1578 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 16:49:06 »
Great!  The HHKB layout with split right shift is a popular layout choice - I did not know so many people preferred it over the ANSI layout.

Offline Atredl

[IC] F62+F77! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards
« Reply #1579 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 17:45:02 »
Great!  The HHKB layout with split right shift is a popular layout choice - I did not know so many people preferred it over the ANSI layout.

I can't speak for everyone but for me it really brings the 60% layout alive. Without it I'm left stretching my pinky in an uncomfortable way to reach the bottom row when using the function layer. With that more easily accessible fn key, using the function layer becomes much easier while still being able to have Ctrl in the Caps lock location. Now everything is comfortably accessible from the home row.

In my humble opinion, the split right shift with a proper Ctrl location should really be part of the standard 60% layout. I'd also prefer hhkb style backspace location but that's more personal preference.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 December 2016, 17:46:59 by Atredl »

Offline supamesican

« Reply #1580 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 17:46:58 »
 Its almost as nice as the model m layout, but for anything other than a full 100% sized board thats what I like because it just works for me. best 60% layout I think  I assume for a lot of people it may be the only non full sized board they've used too.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1581 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 22:20:54 »
Thanks Atredl and supa - good to know, especially for those switching to the smaller keyboard format from a standard ANSI layout.

Offline evoman

« Reply #1582 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 07:55:26 »
Sorry for a naive question, but I have had trouble deciphering the info on the order page - what choices are there for international keys?  Can I order ISO with UK keycaps? And am I correct that these are all printed keycaps? 

I have keycaps on other boards, but would prefer to not dismantle any of the ones I have on hand

Offline ipreferpie

« Reply #1583 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 09:43:38 »
Hey Ellipse, did you get my emails confirming my order details for 1953 & 1961?

Offline supamesican

Re: [IC] Brand New F62 Kishsaver / F77 Industrial Model F's made this year
« Reply #1584 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 18:24:19 »
How difficult would it be to make cherry MX compatible stems for this? I'd like a hhkb style layout with the fn key. Why not make a modern version of the classic.
not sure if srs or troll

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1585 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 19:04:18 »
evoman - yes you can order ISO with UK keycaps - please pick ISO and then make a note that you want UK keycaps.  Yes they are all printed.

ipreferpie (replied over email)

Vizir I now offer a modern version of this keyboard in the form of the ultra compact case F62 and F77 (we recently reached our 50th compact case keyboard order!).  It was designed to match the high end modern Cherry MX custom keyboard offerings out there.  I also offer these modern keyboards with HHKB style layout with Fn key.  This keyboard is using solid one-piece PBT keys made with brand new molds.  I'd imagine any plastic Cherry MX to buckling spring adapter piece would make the keys wobbly and flimsy to type on, whether or not it is possible to do.  Also the keyboard would look odd with the MX keys sitting much higher up with the barrels exposed more, given the characteristics of the MX key compared to the buckling spring key.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1586 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 14:20:18 »
An update - I am expecting the completed ultra compact case prototype by year end. 

Who wants to see a video of the keyboard in action?

Offline ryahirv

« Reply #1587 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 14:21:27 »
An update - I am expecting the completed ultra compact case prototype by year end. 

Or course!  Please make a video for sure!

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #1588 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 16:19:41 »
Yes, please.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #1589 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 16:33:32 »

Why is that even a question? EVERYONE :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Offline evoman

« Reply #1590 on: Fri, 23 December 2016, 07:39:02 »
evoman - yes you can order ISO with UK keycaps - please pick ISO and then make a note that you want UK keycaps.  Yes they are all printed.

ipreferpie (replied over email)

Vizir I now offer a modern version of this keyboard in the form of the ultra compact case F62 and F77 (we recently reached our 50th compact case keyboard order!).  It was designed to match the high end modern Cherry MX custom keyboard offerings out there.  I also offer these modern keyboards with HHKB style layout with Fn key.  This keyboard is using solid one-piece PBT keys made with brand new molds.  I'd imagine any plastic Cherry MX to buckling spring adapter piece would make the keys wobbly and flimsy to type on, whether or not it is possible to do.  Also the keyboard would look odd with the MX keys sitting much higher up with the barrels exposed more, given the characteristics of the MX key compared to the buckling spring key.

Great - order has been submitted - I am using myself as a proxy (meaning delivering to my address in the USA, despite being in the UK).  Is there a relatively firm shipping schedule?  I might need to update that address if the shipment goes when no one will be there to receive! 

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1591 on: Fri, 23 December 2016, 12:39:32 »
Great evoman, though there is no shipping schedule just yet.  I have learned that manufacturing always takes longer than the factory expects, sometimes months longer, if you want it done to my quality standards :).

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1592 on: Wed, 28 December 2016, 13:44:14 »
The compact case keyboard prototypes have arrived!  Doing the testing now...

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1593 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 21:49:56 »
The Compact Case F62 and F77 prototypes arrived and pass inspection!  To avoid duplication of threads please comment on the GB thread:  https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=79141.msg2329617#msg2329617

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #1594 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 01:31:47 »
The Compact Case F62 and F77 prototypes arrived and pass inspection!

Have to let you know Ellipse your Original designs are still Far Superior in every way.