Author Topic: [IC] F62+F77! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards  (Read 378958 times)

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
Re: [IC] Brand New F62 Kishsaver / F77 Industrial Model F's made this year
« Reply #700 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 03:41:40 »
Look what arrived today :) The dot matrix printer for the packing slip included with each F62/F77-containing order! It works well, and it will work with the tractor pull green bar paper from earlier (I bought a few hundred sheets).
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Awesome!  :thumb: :thumb:

Offline scumyc

« Reply #701 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 11:20:54 »
First off, this project looks awesome! Great work so far!

I have been looking into the possibility of getting my favorite 60% layout for the 62-key and I just thought I would post it to see if anyone else was interested and wanted to help out with the up-front tooling costs (after which, boards will cost the same as any other 62-key).  Total cost is still TBD, this is just a preliminary inquiry.

Here it is:
124640-0

To my knowledge, no one else likes this layout, but I figured it couldn't hurt to check.  One thing worth noting is that all these keys come in a standard winkey set (6.25 space, 1.25 mods).  However, I am not the biggest fan of the stepped 1.75.

This may also apply to anyone who is a fan of split right shift layouts, but I have ordered a 3D printed non-stepped 1.75 unit key to try out because I do not like stepped caps lock.  It won't ship until the 18th, but I hope to post a brief review when it arrives.
http://www.shapeways.com/product/YMFXWFRAK/ibm-model-m-keycap-1-75-non-stepped-v2?li=shop-results&optionId=40367442

Edit: it turns out unicomp does not do a 6.25 unit space bar.  I updated the layout for the 5.75 "small" spacebar
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 January 2016, 08:15:38 by scumyc »

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #702 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 11:27:15 »
First off, this project looks awesome! Great work so far!

I have been looking into the possibility of getting my favorite 60% layout for the 62-key and I just thought I would post it to see if anyone else was interested and wanted to help out with the up-front tooling costs (after which, boards will cost the same as any other 62-key).  Total cost is still TBD, this is just a preliminary inquiry.

Here it is:
(Attachment Link)

To my knowledge, no one else likes this layout, but I figured it couldn't hurt to check.  One thing worth noting is that all these keys come in a standard winkey set (6.25 space, 1.25 mods).  However, I am not the biggest fan of the stepped 1.75.

This may also apply to anyone who is a fan of split right shift layouts, but I have ordered a 3D printed non-stepped 1.75 unit key to try out because I do not like stepped caps lock.  It won't ship until the 18th, but I hope to post a brief review when it arrives.
http://www.shapeways.com/product/YMFXWFRAK/ibm-model-m-keycap-1-75-non-stepped-v2?li=shop-results&optionId=40367442
Does F62 supports four keys on right of spacebar? I only see three barrels there.
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline scumyc

« Reply #703 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 11:34:54 »
Does F62 supports four keys on right of spacebar? I only see three barrels there.

It does not, that is why there would be up-front tooling costs before the boards were available at the normal price.

« Reply #704 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 12:42:40 »
Ellipse, I know there was some interest on r/mk about organizing an NYC Meet-Up. I think if you wanted to, as a sort of prototype launch party, you'd definitely have a pretty fantastic turnout. Just a thought.

Offline Ellipse

• Brand New Model F Keyboards
« Reply #705 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 13:02:57 »
Yep BaconEggandCheeseBagel there will be a Manhattan meetup within a couple weeks of opening the order form.  I'm hoping people can bring their IBM beamspring and Model F/M keyboards for comparison. 

Can anyone volunteer a venue for hosting the IBM keyboard meetup in Manhattan this month?  Even getting permission to use an office conference/meeting room would probably be fine.

And I can confirm what scumyc is proposing.  It will require extra tooling for PCB, inner foam, and top inner assembly.  It would be great if you could help scumyc with the tooling if you like his proposed layout for your F62.  This is optional - you can order his layout for no added cost once tooling has been paid for.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #706 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 20:38:08 »
The prototypes and foam have been completed! They will be on their way to me this week via expedited shipping! Please note that the foam prototypes in the photos were adjusted/made with hand tools so they still have some rough areas and markings, but these will not be on the production styrofoam pieces.

Also the boxes in the photos are the correct double walled specification but will be opening from the side with the production boxes instead of on top like in the prototype boxes shown in the photos.

Also a reminder that the powdercoated case colors are prototype colors and may not be the final colors.

I wonder if I am overprotecting these keyboards - all this extra packaging is going to run up a hefty shipping bill from China.

Once production finishes (production takes 1-2 months), then it will take a few weeks for sea mail from China. I was thinking of offering the option to pay for DHL or other expedited shipping options where it goes DHL Express, etc. to me and then I test it and send it out expedited shipping. This might enable you to get the keyboard a few weeks faster than expected.
123850-0
123852-1
123854-2

Offline SixtyLife

« Reply #707 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 20:42:46 »
The prototypes and foam have been completed! They will be on their way to me this week via expedited shipping! Please note that the foam prototypes in the photos were adjusted/made with hand tools so they still have some rough areas and markings, but these will not be on the production styrofoam pieces.

Also the boxes in the photos are the correct double walled specification but will be opening from the side with the production boxes instead of on top like in the prototype boxes shown in the photos.

Also a reminder that the powdercoated case colors are prototype colors and may not be the final colors.

I wonder if I am overprotecting these keyboards - all this extra packaging is going to run up a hefty shipping bill from China.

Once production finishes (production takes 1-2 months), then it will take a few weeks for sea mail from China. I was thinking of offering the option to pay for DHL or other expedited shipping options where it goes DHL Express, etc. to me and then I test it and send it out expedited shipping. This might enable you to get the keyboard a few weeks faster than expected.
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

nice!!!! can't wait to see these with some caps on. congrats and looking forward to the reviews Ellipse!
Kishsaver, JP SSK, Displaywriter SSK, 360C, HHKB Type S, X60, Jane v2, Jane v2 CE

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #708 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 20:56:53 »
Man that is sweet, this is going to be real very soon.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #709 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 20:59:23 »

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Oh man! Love em and now I want to try one.

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #710 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 00:49:22 »

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Oh that is super awesome, looking really good!

Offline raymogi

« Reply #711 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 00:57:15 »
Awesome packaging. This will make it safely into my country and avoid damages during shipment :D
Please feed my addiction.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #712 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 00:58:04 »
Also that industrial grey colour looks awesome. I hope that stays as an option.

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #713 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 01:02:41 »
oh wow.  these look so good.  and that styrofoam looks so fresh and crispy!

i'm still agonizing over which color to get.  grey, beige, black, grey, beige, black, grey...
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline raymogi

« Reply #714 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 01:04:38 »

i'm still agonizing over which color to get.  grey, beige, black, grey, beige, black, grey...

Black.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #715 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 01:22:54 »

Black.

hmm, i love black, but i already have two other black boards. 

i am leaning towards grey right now.  industrial grey always looked good in the photos i've seen.  is it a true grey, or is it kind of greenish?

edit:  one site describes the grey as a "military olive drab".
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 January 2016, 01:27:26 by naasfu »
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #716 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 01:28:55 »

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

This is awesome I will definitely buy one.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #717 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 02:24:30 »
(Attachment Link)

BEAUTIFUL, this is the F77 I want so desperately  :o .

Can't believe this is finally happening, a real Model-F built in 2016, you've done good Ellipse..........
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 January 2016, 02:27:48 by Elrick »

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #718 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 02:26:51 »
(Attachment Link)

BEAUTIFUL, this is the F77 I want so desperately  :o .

Can't believe this is finally happening, a real Model-F built in 2016, you've done ****ing amazing magic Ellipse..........

FTFY

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #719 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 02:31:10 »
The packaging you've provided is heavy duty, it might even withstand a Nuclear Blast when the "end of days" finally arrive for all of us here, good to know at least my future F77 shall be protected  :thumb: .

Best Keyboard protection anyone could of released as of yet, even registered corporations would not provide this level of security for any of their keyboard products.

Offline Muffinbottoms

« Reply #720 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 02:33:25 »
God damn....I could make love to these boards all night. And I really appreciate the attention to packaging detail you're making because sometimes I get stuck with a guy/girl who really just doesn't care about my package and I end up with a nice gaping hole or crunch in the box haha. Haven't had anything broken yet :P.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #721 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 02:46:54 »
God damn....I could make love to these boards all night. And I really appreciate the attention to packaging detail you're making because sometimes I get stuck with a guy/girl who really just doesn't care about my package and I end up with a nice gaping hole or crunch in the box haha. Haven't had anything broken yet :p .

Haha, know what you mean, even at my age seeing something so beautiful and fresh being sheaved in all heavy-duty foam, gets me all hard without any reservations - Ellipse has delivered on this venture  ;) .

Offline againer

« Reply #722 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 09:49:04 »
I was pretty sure that i want  a black  one but after loocking to your pictures, a gray one could be an intressting option...

Offline harlw

« Reply #723 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 09:55:15 »
I can't believe it's real...I just knew it was never gonna happen; boy am I glad to be wrong! Can.not.wait.
Ergodox (x2), V.EA Clone, Tada68, Atreus XL, Planck, Model M 70% Mod

Offline KetchyKech

• ∴∵∴◇❖◇∴∵∴
« Reply #724 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 10:25:57 »
wow this is shapely up very nicely  :cool:  Thank you for the pictures, i know they mean a lot to those that plan on ordering  :thumb:

I'm still in for a custom color (to be determined) whether or not people join in to lower the tooling cost!  :p

can't wait  :D
∴∵∴◇Time TKL--VE.A--F&T 1916--Cajal--Octagon v2◇∴∵∴

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #725 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 12:07:15 »
i am so ready for this! cant wait to hear how you think they feel compared to the originals, and to see them with caps on and everything.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #726 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 22:38:01 »
Today I ordered a sampling of Unicomp key sets for testing, in anticipation of the prototypes arriving hopefully next week!

Yes industrial grey will definitely be an option - the second picture is the prototype industrial gray color.  Once I see it in person I may change the exact type of grey a little. 

Some project draft graphics will be posted soon for your feedback!  For the project web site logo I expect to use a buckling spring animation similar to ones found online, plus a still version.  The logo will also have a description of the keyboard in the same dot matrix font that will be used on the birthday labels - something like "F62 Model F Keyboard."

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #727 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 22:39:44 »
Today I ordered a sampling of Unicomp key sets for testing, in anticipation of the prototypes arriving hopefully next week!

Yes industrial grey will definitely be an option - the second picture is the prototype industrial gray color.  Once I see it in person I may change the exact type of grey a little. 

Some project draft graphics will be posted soon for your feedback!  For the project web site logo I expect to use a buckling spring animation similar to ones found online, plus a still version.  The logo will also have a description of the keyboard in the same dot matrix font that will be used on the birthday labels - something like "F62 Model F Keyboard."

Ive had really good luck with unicomp keys thus far. They feel fine and match vintage colors perfectly.

For those interested in getting caps from them, if you are in the US they are quite quick to ship, and shipping is often only 6 bucks for 2 day shipping which is great  :thumb: Never had any issues ordering from them, and I usually have 1-2 orders a month from them.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #728 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 22:49:04 »
I have some money stashed away for this baby. I can't wait to be initiated in the bs cult of love.

To be honest, this will be my first Buckling spring board, capacitive or membrane. What should I expect? I've only used  topre a lot, really.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #729 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 22:55:31 »
I have some money stashed away for this baby. I can't wait to be initiated in the bs cult of love.

To be honest, this will be my first Buckling spring board, capacitive or membrane. What should I expect? I've only used  topre a lot, really.

Expect for BS over Membrane to never feel "great" after using one of these suckers. You'll sadly never be wowed by an SSK or Model M.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #730 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 23:00:25 »
The logo will also have a description of the keyboard in the same dot matrix font that will be used on the birthday labels - something like "F62 Model F Keyboard."

Font like E29 has in his Avatar...  "F62"  Just a simple logo.  "F77"  *On the Bezel*

That's all you really need.
The back label can be the descriptive part.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 January 2016, 23:02:30 by Snowdog993 »

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #731 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 23:01:57 »

Expect for BS over Membrane to never feel "great" after using one of these suckers. You'll sadly never be wowed by an SSK or Model M.

Words of greater truth have never been spoken.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #732 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 23:03:15 »

"click".

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #733 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 23:04:15 »

"click".

I will actually probably be selling an SSK to fund part of this. Obviously, now nobody in this thread will want it haha

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #734 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 23:11:01 »

"click".

I will actually probably be selling an SSK to fund part of this. Obviously, now nobody in this thread will want it haha

I'm sure there is quite the demand for an SSK.  I don't think you have to worry one bit.

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #735 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 23:21:59 »

"click".

I can't imagine anything better than a kishsaver, what bs board could top it?! I can think of none.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #736 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 23:26:26 »
Snowdog sorry for the confusion - there will be no visible logo on the keyboard itself, besides what's on the bottom label.  On the birthday label there will be the buckling spring graphic.  The label will say F77 or F62 on it.  Attached is a sample logo without the graphic.

124065-0

There will also be an internal sticker on the bottom inner assembly (at least for the early bird version, maybe for the other versions too) that will thank all those who helped the project and donated towards the early bird tooling run.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #737 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 23:36:05 »
Snowdog sorry for the confusion - there will be no visible logo on the keyboard itself, besides what's on the bottom label.  On the birthday label there will be the buckling spring graphic.  The label will say F77 or F62 on it.  Attached is a sample logo without the graphic.

(Attachment Link)

There will also be an internal sticker on the bottom inner assembly (at least for the early bird version, maybe for the other versions too) that will thank all those who helped the project and donated towards the early bird tooling run.

Okay that makes sense. 

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #738 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 00:49:31 »
I really hope this does well. All of the recent pictures seem to be proof that this is moving along quite nicely and is shaping up to be as good as promised, if not better  :thumb:

I feel like quite a few newcomers may miss out on this sale and opt to get in on flashier customs or keyboards while this is happening. I'm surely not blaming them, "old" keyboards aren't the most enticing in appearance (at first), and shelling out $325 for this when you can get a flashy GoN with nutty lighting and acrylic casing for the same ballpark price may lead many asking "why is this so special?" Model F's arent all that common, and many simply don't understand the magic they posses. Even Model M users that have never used an F don't know what they are missing, the F wins out over the M's any day of the week. Trust me, if you are reading this and considering another buy, put that on hold and get on this. There is always a fantastic looking full aluminum custom buy right around the corner  ;)

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #739 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 05:06:34 »
I feel like quite a few newcomers may miss out on this sale and opt to get in on flashier customs or keyboards while this is happening. I'm surely not blaming them, "old" keyboards aren't the most enticing in appearance (at first), and shelling out $325 for this when you can get a flashy GoN with nutty lighting and acrylic casing for the same ballpark price may lead many asking "why is this so special?"

This area isn't for the newbs because they are more attracted to lights like ignorant moths  ;D .

Can't change that because all youngsters care about today is that their keyboards all look like their iPhones with stupid colours and graphics.  When they get older you'll see the look of failure upon their faces when asked what they did when this Model-F was released all those years ago.  Whilst some of us shall be rejoicing on our purchases you'll have the losers lamenting their choice of keyboard, decomposing on their desks.

Some people have to learn the hard way in life, miss out on the important purchases that really matter..........

Offline 3K

« Reply #740 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 10:01:32 »
When you try stash away money for this buy, but there are artisan sales everywhere...  :(

Model M '88    | Model M SSK '87 | HHKB P2  | Zowie FK1

Offline ryahirv

« Reply #741 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 12:09:31 »
I haven't missed any pictures with keycaps on have I?

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #742 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 13:37:53 »
When you try stash away money for this buy, but there are artisan sales everywhere...  :(
Life has become a lot simpler now that I have lost interest in the artisan scene. Much less stressful.  ^-^

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #743 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 13:39:13 »
Life has become a lot simpler now that I have lost interest in the artisan scene. Much less stressful.  ^-^

right? I like keeping caps friends give me, but that is about it. I'm in this hobby for the keyboards anyways. The day I don't buy an epic keyboard because I bought too many keycaps is the day I bow out of this hobby all together.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #744 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 13:46:40 »

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Holy ****.... That kish... So sexy man!  :eek:

Offline againer

« Reply #745 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 14:40:56 »
Im here for the typing expirience. Not for some pretty loocking  caps.
So I dont have that problem.
But anyway this project is probably you only chance to type on a brand new f62 ever so dont miss it.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #746 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 19:46:23 »

Yep it's true once the insidious "Artisan" disease leaves you, everything is much clearer and calm.

Key-caps are no longer my reason to empty my bank accounts anymore, as it is to own a piece of historical significance such as an F77 Ellipse Keyboard.  I only have eyes for this keyboard now everything else is now fading in the rear view mirror because I'm heading towards Model-F town where perfection resides.

Already made room on my desk for this wondrous keyboard now have to wait like everyone else for their availability   :-\ .

Offline Ellipse

One of the forum members generously helped design some really nice logos and a buckling spring animation for the project.  They are similar to some of the buckling spring animations floating around different web sites. 

These renderings show the graphics as they would appear on a box.  I'm not sure where they will end up:  on the box, the web site, the manual, etc.  I'm going to look into adding one of these graphics to the boxes.

124240-0

124242-1

124244-2

124246-3

124248-4

124250-5

124252-6

124254-7

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
I like the second from the bottom. Large font, in blue

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
We all know how famous that design is and how phallic it can be, but I'm not sure I want it on a box that huge!
That said, I really like the design of the second/third/fourth set.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 January 2016, 21:17:37 by romevi »