Author Topic: [IC] F62+F77! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards  (Read 379007 times)

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
One of the forum members generously helped design some really nice logos and a buckling spring animation for the project.  They are similar to some of the buckling spring animations floating around different web sites. 

These renderings show the graphics as they would appear on a box.  I'm not sure where they will end up:  on the box, the web site, the manual, etc.  I'm going to look into adding one of these graphics to the boxes.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

What the HELL, where's the Model F77  >:( ?

Graphics is all good BUT the most important part in all this is the actual KEYBOARDS, all I want to know is when are they available to purchase?

Offline Ellipse

• Brand New Model F Keyboards
Elrick the prototypes should arrive around the middle of next week, so maybe next weekend the orders will be open!

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
And can you send this badboy as a gift with 40 dollar value? So I will not get any tax I already fill my IC

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Any ballpark idea on prices for parts?  Mostly barrels, hammers, and springs.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline raymogi

If I opted for the $100 early bird thing, do I just wait PM or still have to fill out order form?
Please feed my addiction.

Offline Jedi

Signed up! 

Offline Muffinbottoms

Re: [IC] Brand New F62 Kishsaver / F77 Industrial Model F's made this year
« Reply #756 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 02:37:23 »
More
I feel like quite a few newcomers may miss out on this sale and opt to get in on flashier customs or keyboards while this is happening. I'm surely not blaming them, "old" keyboards aren't the most enticing in appearance (at first), and shelling out $325 for this when you can get a flashy GoN with nutty lighting and acrylic casing for the same ballpark price may lead many asking "why is this so special?"

This area isn't for the newbs because they are more attracted to lights like ignorant moths  ;D .

Can't change that because all youngsters care about today is that their keyboards all look like their iPhones with stupid colours and graphics.  When they get older you'll see the look of failure upon their faces when asked what they did when this Model-F was released all those years ago.  Whilst some of us shall be rejoicing on our purchases you'll have the losers lamenting their choice of keyboard, decomposing on their desks.

Some people have to learn the hard way in life, miss out on the important purchases that really matter..........

You know Elrick, I thought I'd get used to your enthusiastic way of speaking, but sometimes it comes off as really grating haha, especially this comment on young keyboarders. Rather than harsh on their mellow why not just inform them and show them why these keyboards so special to everyone here?

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #757 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 02:41:43 »
More
I feel like quite a few newcomers may miss out on this sale and opt to get in on flashier customs or keyboards while this is happening. I'm surely not blaming them, "old" keyboards aren't the most enticing in appearance (at first), and shelling out $325 for this when you can get a flashy GoN with nutty lighting and acrylic casing for the same ballpark price may lead many asking "why is this so special?"

This area isn't for the newbs because they are more attracted to lights like ignorant moths  ;D .

Can't change that because all youngsters care about today is that their keyboards all look like their iPhones with stupid colours and graphics.  When they get older you'll see the look of failure upon their faces when asked what they did when this Model-F was released all those years ago.  Whilst some of us shall be rejoicing on our purchases you'll have the losers lamenting their choice of keyboard, decomposing on their desks.

Some people have to learn the hard way in life, miss out on the important purchases that really matter..........

You know Elrick, I thought I'd get used to your enthusiastic way of speaking, but sometimes it comes off as really grating haha, especially this comment on young keyboarders. Rather than harsh on their mellow why not just inform them and show them why these keyboards so special to everyone here?

You know how at school there are the younger teachers that seem to adapt to the modern way of doing things, but then there is always the old grumpy one which yearns to just rip off their belt and give you a flogging. No matter what the principle does, their ways cannot be adapted so they just sit and patiently wait for them to retire so that chapter in the education system can be closed......

well I think Elrick is the slap happy teacher.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #758 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 02:49:51 »

I like this youngster, he has ............potential   8) .

Offline Muffinbottoms

« Reply #759 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 03:22:16 »
More
More

You know how at school there are the younger teachers that seem to adapt to the modern way of doing things, but then there is always the old grumpy one which yearns to just rip off their belt and give you a flogging. No matter what the principle does, their ways cannot be adapted so they just sit and patiently wait for them to retire so that chapter in the education system can be closed......

Tenure is a blessing and a curse  :p

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
I'm probably among the youngest on the forum and I favour a F62 rather than a GON or some other such board.

I've beaten you're theory elrick, I guess I'm an outlier. Or maybe your theory is more anecdotal, I'd imagine most young people on this forum have very different opinions on this matter than some random youth on the street.  :-*

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
I'm probably among the youngest on the forum and I favour a F62 rather than a GON or some other such board.

I've beaten you're theory elrick, I guess I'm an outlier. Or maybe your theory is more anecdotal, I'd imagine most young people on this forum have very different opinions on this matter than some random youth on the street.  :-*
I'm the youngest here and I like the f better than those ****ty christmas tree keyboard  :mad:

Offline fanpeople

I'm the youngest here and I like the f better than those ****ty christmas tree keyboard  :mad:
What about the d  :p

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist

You're the exception here compared to most who are mesmerized when certain coloured leds are flashed before their eyes in quick succession.

They become hypnotized by that experience and will forever more keep buying Vegas-styled keyboards throughout their sad little lives  ;D .

The Model-F has none of that stupid visual effects because it delivers on that unique finger to key usage, which only the yanks had achieved.

Offline Bevo

• * Destiny Supporter
What would you do if Ellipse pulled the plug on this project Elrick?

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder

What about the d  :p
The d? lets forget about talking about D here  :p

Offline tassadarforaiur

i like clicky and lights, would the f62 be compatible w/ led strips or el wire?                                                                                                                /s
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 January 2016, 11:05:55 by tassadarforaiur »

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter

You're the exception here compared to most who are mesmerized when certain coloured leds are flashed before their eyes in quick succession.

They become hypnotized by that experience and will forever more keep buying Vegas-styled keyboards throughout their sad little lives  ;D .

The Model-F has none of that stupid visual effects because it delivers on that unique finger to key usage, which only the yanks had achieved.

I think for many that actually find that keyboards are a hobby for them, and not just a passing phase, they naturally grow out of it as they continue to search for new and interesting boards. If you were just a gamer I wouldn't expect you to know the significance or have the desire for a Model F. These are like a fine scotch, but you have to know what ****ty scotch tastes like to appreciate the good stuff.

On topic, everything with the packaging and protos looked amazing! I think the dot matrix printer is going to be quite a nice touch to this whole deal.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline trustinkiss

It's kind of sad how people actually think liking keyboards that are dolled up with lighting and effects are actually less of a human being. It's just a different aesthetic. There's no reason to trash on others for liking what they like. Having a fancy RGB keyboard could be the pinnacle of keyboard collecting for some people. It wouldn't be any less ****ty than other people's endgame like this board would be, or a fancy Korean aluminum one. Some people might even like lighting and still appreciate the aesthetic of traditional boards like these. This is a keyboard enthusiast forum, not the model f members only forum.

I personally can't wait to get ahold of one of these myself. It's been amazing to see how far along this project has actually gotten, and so quickly too. Ellipse is really on his sht getting these out for everybody else and trying to give people an authentic experience when they receive their keyboard, so thank you!
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 January 2016, 09:52:21 by trustinkiss »

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
The progress on these boards makes me drool. Where are these going to be sold commercially?

Offline 3K

It's kind of sad how people actually think liking keyboards that are dolled up with lighting and effects are actually less of a human being. It's just a different aesthetic. There's no reason to trash on others for liking what they like. Having a fancy RGB keyboard could be the pinnacle of keyboard collecting for some people. It wouldn't be any less ****ty than other people's endgame like this board would be, or a fancy Korean aluminum one. Some people might even like lighting and still appreciate the aesthetic of traditional boards like these. This is a keyboard enthusiast forum, not the model f members only forum.

I personally can't wait to get ahold of one of these myself. It's been amazing to see how far along this project has actually gotten, and so quickly too. Ellipse is really on his sht getting these out for everybody else and trying to give people an authentic experience when they receive their keyboard, so thank you!

Yea, I completely agree on this. One shouldn't criticise others taste. Personally I even started liking rubberdomes (standard at work place) - I like them the same way I like 40 year old godzilla movies. That trashy feel that makes you value your better options (mechs)  even more.

Model M '88    | Model M SSK '87 | HHKB P2  | Zowie FK1

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs

Thank you.

I think for many that actually find that keyboards are a hobby for them, and not just a passing phase, they naturally grow out of it as they continue to search for new and interesting boards. If you were just a gamer I wouldn't expect you to know the significance or have the desire for a Model F. These are like a fine scotch, but you have to know what ****ty scotch tastes like to appreciate the good stuff.

I very much disagree with this.  I personally am *just a gamer*, as I don't use a keyboard for any sort of income.  There are aspects to respect from many sides of this hobby.  The RGB individual controllable backlit keyboards is a feat of engineering both at the PCB level and the firmware level that I have much respect for.  On the flip side, there is something to say about the build quality of the F standing the test of time.

For my daily driver board, I use an IBM F AT hacked up, modded with remote mounted controller, and set into my keyboard tray, not one wire for my F is visible from sitting position at my desk, on each side sits a Razer product.  On the left I have an Orbweaver, modded to reds on WASD and clears everywhere else with blue LEDs swapped out from the green ones from the factory, on the right I have a Naga Epic with the RGB lighting, set to blue to match my Orbweaver.  I am also in the process of attempting to install 12 volt CCFL lighting (blue again) under the desk above the tray and be controlled directly from the keyboard using the 6 pin output connector and have it function in place of the clicker, with some additional options. 

So where does that put me in your beliefs?

Can we please stop with the profiling of "gamer"?  Leave that for the marketing department.

I love this project, and will be buying spare parts for my F resto services, but sadly I won't be partaking in a full keyboard due to saving funding for my mill purchase.  If this makes it to a round 2, I will def spring for a 62 key version, the 77 key is to close to the AT for me to justify that side.  Nothing against it, just my personal flavor preference. 

Again, huge props for making this happen Ellipse.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Ellipse

As an update, the factory has shipped the prototypes and they should arrive by the middle of next week!  I have ordered prototype split right shift keyboards and Unicomp split right shift, regular layout, black unprinted, regular unprinted, and regular printed keys and will be testing and photographing each of the layouts.

Are there any more early bird tooling volunteers?  I think we are at 10 and need to get to 15.  By being an early bird tooling volunteer you not only allow the community to get their keyboards a couple months earlier, but you also allow for a first batch of keyboards to circulate among the community and maybe among reviewers and tech bloggers, which can drum up further interest in these F62/F77 keyboards as well as future Model F projects.

It looks like the early consensus across the forums is for the straight text in the logo - any other thoughts?

Everyone who wants one, please do sign the interest form if you haven't already, even if just so I can let you know when orders open (hopefully next week).  Orders ship (generally, with some exceptions) in sequence of the timestamp of when the order is received.  I am inspecting the units one by one so it will definitely take some time between when I receive the units and when the last order received ships out.

Melvang-pricing was settled at 50 cents per barrel and 50 cents per flipper+spring in bulk.  You can only buy them during the F62/F77 group buy window starting (hopefully) next week.

raymogi I will PM all the early bird tooling donors when the time comes.  I am putting together the "quality control" style label inside the keyboard and expect to put all the tooling donor user names there.

Thanks livingspeedbump.  The good news is that the dot matrix printer still works after all these years.  The green bar paper invoices with each order should definitely add some more vintage feel.

mashby they will be sold on my web site, which will launch when the products open (I have done extensive store testing and paypal integration testing to minimize the chance of bugs). 

There will be an early bird round thanks to the tooling volunteers.  For the regular round, you will have a few months to place an order, but after the deadline they will likely no longer be sold, assuming no distributors pick up the product and order some inventory.  Holding inventory is very risky because even to hold 100 extra units would cost over $35,000.  There is a small number of people buying a few extras because it is very likely they won't be able to find NIB units anywhere else in a few years. 

Offline Ir0n

-throws man panties at Ellipse-

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
I just can't handle how much I want this anymore.

Offline raymogi

Yay thanks sir. I'll fill the form just in case.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline fanpeople

If I wasn't in Australia I would consider buying up some stock for re-sale but I just can't see much interest for these domestically and to re-ship these things to the US would probably kill much of the interest.

It's a shame because this is the single most awesome thing which deserves a sustained shop front to spew BS goodness all onver the world. 

Offline tassadarforaiur

If I wasn't in Australia I would consider buying up some stock for re-sale but I just can't see much interest for these domestically and to re-ship these things to the US would probably kill much of the interest.

It's a shame because this is the single most awesome thing which deserves a sustained shop front to spew BS goodness all onver the world. 

normally true, but this is a very special keyboard that people can't just wait for the next GB on. good chance that people who care enough to buy this keyboard once they find out about it, can also handle the shipping costs.

*also, to save on shipping, only stock the f62's.

Offline Bevo

• * Destiny Supporter
Well i'm in so maybe if us Aussies band together, we can save on the shipping costs? I know theres quite a few

Offline fanpeople

normally true, but this is a very special keyboard that people can't just wait for the next GB on. good chance that people who care enough to buy this keyboard once they find out about it, can also handle the shipping costs.

*also, to save on shipping, only stock the f62's.

I just did some calculations about 120 AUD with tracking and insurance. Would this be reasonable? But I would also have to tack on cost to cover the initial postage to me and paypal fees. As a guess I would be looking at almost 500 USD per board shipped, just doesn't seem reasonable to me and out of the majority of peoples price range even if they really want it. On the bright side, would benefit any potential Australian's with good postage deal.

You know what I am going to do some research and see if it would be worth it to pick up say 10-20 boards for resale, might be able to get those initial postage costs down.

Offline Ellipse

fanpeople I am not sure about your calculations, they may be too high.  To ship 2 keyboards to Australia in one box, assuming 16 pounds, would cost $100 total with USPS shipping, or about $50 each.  So your cost would be $325 for the keyboard plus $50 shipping in that case.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
fanpeople I am not sure about your calculations, they may be too high.  To ship 2 keyboards to Australia in one box, assuming 16 pounds, would cost $100 total with USPS shipping, or about $50 each.  So your cost would be $325 for the keyboard plus $50 shipping in that case.

Seems right considering these keyboards are HEAVY compared to most others sold everywhere, including Kmacs.

The size of the box plus weight puts it at the lower end pricetag of $50.00USD (east-coast) because I'm situated on the other side of this Convict Settlement, means having my wallet raped even more when the time comes.  8) .

Offline pr0ximity

Seems right considering these keyboards are HEAVY compared to most others sold everywhere, including Kmacs.

The size of the box plus weight puts it at the lower end pricetag of $50.00USD (east-coast) because I'm situated on the other side of this Convict Settlement, means having my wallet raped even more when the time comes.  8) .

Just be glad Ellipse isn't making 107-key models :P
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline fanpeople

Yep that was my calculation 325 plus 50 to get it here initially that gives you 375. Then say someone buys it in the US, Shipping from Australia back would be approximately 100 USD  give or take depending on how **** the Australian dollar is doing so $475 plus paypal fees almost 15 so $490. That is not even factoring in compo for going to the effort of ordering 20, storing them and then taking the time to post out to individuals. I can understand why you wouldn't want to stock up and sell these from a shop front, it is a lot of money for a specialised market.

In the end I am just so thankful that you are going to these lengths for this, it is truly amazing product.

Well i'm in so maybe if us Aussies band together, we can save on the shipping costs? I know theres quite a few

Hey bevo with regards to this, I would be happy to act as a proxy in Australia for these if Ellipse and a few people buying these were happy with this. I would need to know the dimensions of the packaging and weight to calculate domestic but I did a quick one with the following (from cairns to sydney).
Your Item
Size: 40 x 30 x 20cm
Weight: 5kg
Clear
total price $32.35

From looking at the USPS site, it might not even save money though with the initial postage.

But the idea is there, if there is interest and it can be worked to be cheaper I am happy to do this.

Offline Den441

All this talk of the "tricked out" LED GON style VS the NO LED "traditional" style has got me thinking. Once I get my F62, I think I'm also going to get a thin, flat piece of frosted acrylic and set the F62 on top of that. Then I will put an RGB LED strip under the acrylic. Who says you can't have it both ways?! I like to have my cake and eat it too! FUWAHAHAHA
Custom Wrist Rests, Artisan Keycaps, and more - http://battlestation.io

Sales Thread - https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74835.0

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
All this talk of the "tricked out" LED GON style VS the NO LED "traditional" style has got me thinking. Once I get my F62, I think I'm also going to get a thin, flat piece of frosted acrylic and set the F62 on top of that. Then I will put an RGB LED strip under the acrylic. Who says you can't have it both ways?! I like to have my cake and eat it too! FUWAHAHAHA
Just wait until the first Phospor Glow F62 or F77 shows up. :cool:
Wasn't there someone who made a backlit Model M?
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 January 2016, 05:00:53 by JaccoW »
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
Just wait until the first Phospor Glow F62 or F77 shows up. :cool:
Wasn't there someone who made a backlit Model M?

Oh hey, my SSK.  :eek:

I did ask Phosphorglow about doing a little work on a Model F, but he said he doesn't work on them. You could always try though, I'd love to see his work on one of these F62s or F77s!

Boards:
Silver 84-key KMAC LE, 62g lubed & stickered ergo-clears, GON NerD PCB, polycarbonate plate,MX lock/Phosphorglow IBM Model M SSK 1391472/White HHKB Pro 2, Hasu controller/WKL Phantom, 50g vintage blacks, MX lock
Leeku G80-1800 (build in progress)

Offline harlw

I've got a very large bottle of glitter here waiting for mine to arrive...I've also been saving a pink can of plastidip for a special project and I think this may just be the one.
Ergodox (x2), V.EA Clone, Tada68, Atreus XL, Planck, Model M 70% Mod

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik

I've got a very large bottle of glitter here waiting for mine to arrive...I've also been saving a pink can of plastidip for a special project and I think this may just be the one.
CPTBadAss has the most fabulous f62.  :))

« Last Edit: Fri, 15 January 2016, 14:31:34 by Air tree »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder

Show Image

Fabulous indeed.

Offline tribade

Show Image

Fabulous indeed.

(Attachment Link)

Best and most relevant gif I've seen on this forum.  And yes that includes all the Taylor Swift gifs
KMAC mini w/ blacks | Realforce 87uw 55g w/ Digil0g case | KMAC w/ blacks | Duck Viper w/ clears

"Te occidere possunt sed te edere non possunt nefas est."

Offline harlw

Show Image

Lol
Ergodox (x2), V.EA Clone, Tada68, Atreus XL, Planck, Model M 70% Mod

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
Show Image

Not bad Purple casing but combining baby blue keys isn't nice (personal opinion here).

Far better to get all the white keys and apply some dye to achieve a purple shade.  You just need an all purple model here to bring out it's perfection.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter

Show Image

I do love that keyboard so, so much

Offline Ellipse

Thanks all for the logo feedback. It looks like the preference is for the blue version of the non-angled text logo, with "ultimate" removed from the subheading. I hope to add this logo to the boxes but it may be too costly. If anyone prefers no logo on the box I may be able to arrange that as well.

124558-0

Offline Muffinbottoms

Thanks all for the logo feedback. It looks like the preference is for the blue version of the non-angled text logo, with "ultimate" removed from the subheading. I hope to add this logo to the boxes but it may be too costly. If anyone prefers no logo on the box I may be able to arrange that as well.

(Attachment Link)

I'm diggin it! If it does end up costing too much, I don't mind if all it said was just the model number if that lessens the cost by a lot. Maybe you could even throw your name in smaller text above it to differentiate it from other possible iterations (if someone does end up manufacturing more).

Sweet job on all this!  :D

Offline pr0ximity

Is http://www.modelfkeyboards.com/ your website Ellipse?
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist

Couldn't care less about the shipping boxes because they shall not be seen once the keyboards are taken out of them.

Don't know why everyone here is gettiing a hard-on for the shipping boxes, best keep your loins moistened for the inevitable Model-F keyboard it self  ;) .

Offline Muffinbottoms

Is http://www.modelfkeyboards.com/ your website Ellipse?

That super sleuth action right there

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
Uh oh, looks like the cat is out of the bag now! :D