Author Topic: [IC] KAT Refined - GB starts tomorrow!  (Read 191017 times)

Offline arrowM

Re: [IC] KAT Refined
« Reply #300 on: Thu, 02 July 2020, 22:13:02 »
This set has endgame potential for me. 100% in.

Offline JCraftCables

• Instagram
« Reply #301 on: Fri, 03 July 2020, 01:44:22 »
Looks really nice! Definitely in on this.

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
« Reply #302 on: Fri, 03 July 2020, 09:04:27 »
Looks really nice! Definitely in on this.

This set has endgame potential for me. 100% in.

Thank you guys! Big update coming after my vacay! Hope it will satisfy peoples needs in terms of kitting.

Offline hkhawk

« Reply #303 on: Fri, 03 July 2020, 11:52:56 »
Is there a chance for icon mods in the 40s/Ortho kits?

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
« Reply #304 on: Fri, 03 July 2020, 12:02:26 »

Yes was actually planning to switch to icon instead.

Offline hkhawk

« Reply #305 on: Fri, 03 July 2020, 14:23:26 »

Yes was actually planning to switch to icon instead.

Amazing, thank you!

Offline Yilk81

« Reply #306 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 03:29:41 »
Very nice to have a set that's not about flashiness but rather about sheer quality. Love how you have gone into the tiny details to get it perfect. I'd love to have this set as my base set but I'm missing one thing unfortunately. I'm a newly converted colemak user and I'd like to have the right legends to get conversations started with open minded people.
I hope a Colevrak+ kit is an option 🤞

Offline Dafraz117

« Reply #307 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 06:48:54 »
Interested cool idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline perry4761

« Reply #308 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 19:33:50 »
This set cannot go live soon enough! I'll probably snag quite a few kits from both WoB and BoW, I love how it fits on so many different boards.

Sidenote: I was told that light on dark was impossible when using dye-sublimation, unless you didn't care about totally muting/darkening the light color. Was I lied to or is there a risk that WoB might turn out kinda ugly?

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #309 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 19:45:59 »
Sidenote: I was told that light on dark was impossible when using dye-sublimation, unless you didn't care about totally muting/darkening the light color. Was I lied to or is there a risk that WoB might turn out kinda ugly?

Keyreative uses all-over dye sublimation, which involves dyeing the sides, as well as the top - the dark colour is dyed on top of the lighter colour.

Here's the samples I had for Lich:

You can see that all the colours other than the lightest purple are dyed on top of white.

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #310 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 00:12:54 »

Keyreative uses all-over dye sublimation, which involves dyeing the sides, as well as the top - the dark colour is dyed on top of the lighter colour.

Here's the samples I had for Lich:
Show Image
Show Image

You can see that all the colours other than the lightest purple are dyed on top of white.

Interesting.  I didn't realize most were molded white and dyed twice.  I was thinking the other three in your photo were molded yellow.  Then the 2008C legend was standard dye-sub, and the other two all-over dye-sub (yellow legends being non-dyed resin).

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #311 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 06:30:53 »
Interesting.  I didn't realize most were molded white and dyed twice.  I was thinking the other three in your photo were molded yellow.  Then the 2008C legend was standard dye-sub, and the other two all-over dye-sub (yellow legends being non-dyed resin).

I think it depends. The yellow-on-black novelties in KAM Starry Night, another Keyreative set, were produced the way you described.

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #312 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 09:02:45 »

I think it depends. The yellow-on-black novelties in KAM Starry Night, another Keyreative set, were produced the way you described.

Yeah, I enquired as to what was the deciding factor, but didn't get an answer. I wonder whether it's easier to achieve the correct purple on dyed yellow rather than actual yellow plastic? Not sure.

Offline JCraftCables

• Instagram
« Reply #313 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 09:25:38 »
Super nice! end game design for sure! The problem will be getting a set in the colour theme you want :)

Offline kidpid

« Reply #314 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 09:56:50 »
The one thing that I wish would change about KAT would be the stem height. I wish it were shorter so the caps would sit slightly below keyboards' side walls, like GMK caps do.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #315 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 10:34:11 »
Yeah, I enquired as to what was the deciding factor, but didn't get an answer. I wonder whether it's easier to achieve the correct purple on dyed yellow rather than actual yellow plastic? Not sure.

I think it's probably easier for them to get the desired color by dyeing white plastic. Only the shape of the legend is likely dyed yellow (i.e. there's probably little to no purple-on-yellow overlap).

« Reply #316 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 01:00:05 »
I am 100% in for WoB and probably BoW too. I want to try KAT and this looks perfect

Offline Obamas Mama

« Reply #317 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 10:56:39 »
Finally a KAT set I get get behind. Thank you for making this.

Offline Fuzon

« Reply #318 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 12:16:39 »
Sorry if I missed it, but when is the ETA of the Group buy?

Offline noorejji

« Reply #319 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 19:07:05 »
Slated for October if everything goes smoothly, is the last I heard.

Offline Mysteric

• Formerly 'Mackem'
« Reply #320 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 15:02:15 »
Is a Hangul alpha kit a no-go?

Offline RedBeardDog

« Reply #321 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 23:45:11 »
Can you add set F1 -F10 for ion zenith kb?

Offline noorejji

« Reply #322 on: Sun, 12 July 2020, 01:03:25 »
You want a kit for ONE keyboard? Just get the F-row kit and deal with the fact that they’re all on one row. Even with a separate kit you’d still have to differentiate based on how you wanna order the keys. It’s unreasonable.

Offline GMK83

« Reply #323 on: Sun, 12 July 2020, 08:18:56 »
Can get behind this kit for sure.

Offline alper_maestro

« Reply #324 on: Sun, 12 July 2020, 08:29:58 »
Are the prices already known?

Offline blaqbern

« Reply #325 on: Sun, 12 July 2020, 09:08:17 »
You want a kit for ONE keyboard? Just get the F-row kit and deal with the fact that they’re all on one row. Even with a separate kit you’d still have to differentiate based on how you wanna order the keys. It’s unreasonable.
I think that’s right. Even in some of the Zenith renders, they show the macro columns decked out in all Rama custom aluminum keycaps (pretty pricey option, if you wanna go that route). Those are all gonna be R1 Cherry profile. If you think about it, the sculpt exist to make the keycaps more comfortable and intuitive to type on, but you don’t really “type” on the f-row.
If you’re dead set on having the right profile for those caps, take a look at MT3 Extended 2048. There are a bunch of different 1U icon keycaps for every row (Icono kit). Or pick up a KAM set. Don’t pass on this set, though!

Offline Curin Derwin

« Reply #326 on: Sun, 12 July 2020, 09:24:16 »
Great goals. In.

Offline nirvana549

« Reply #327 on: Sun, 12 July 2020, 09:32:35 »
Is a colvrak kit out of the question? In either way! :thumb:

Offline Shutter_Shock

« Reply #328 on: Sun, 12 July 2020, 12:00:34 »
I think that’s right. Even in some of the Zenith renders, they show the macro columns decked out in all Rama custom aluminum keycaps (pretty pricey option, if you wanna go that route). Those are all gonna be R1 Cherry profile. If you think about it, the sculpt exist to make the keycaps more comfortable and intuitive to type on, but you don’t really “type” on the f-row.
If you’re dead set on having the right profile for those caps, take a look at MT3 Extended 2048. There are a bunch of different 1U icon keycaps for every row (Icono kit). Or pick up a KAM set. Don’t pass on this set, though!
Something like the GMK Redacted novelties set may work too. It has extra redacted keys for exert row. Signature plastics also sells blanks and re-legendable keycaps that I think come in different row profiles. WASD will UV print you custom keycaps.

Offline GMK83

« Reply #329 on: Sun, 12 July 2020, 14:38:56 »
Seems like that render of the S&R 180 would take several kits to piece together. 

Offline kobeian

« Reply #330 on: Sun, 12 July 2020, 15:42:02 »
really hope that future kat sets can also considering using the same fonts etc as well, the font is one the big things that keeps me from getting KAT sets.

thanks this is great work

Seconding.

Offline Hell-es

« Reply #331 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 00:41:06 »
Wish there would be an accent kit and/or color mods in RGB and CMY - that would make the set even more versatile

Offline bd_slade

« Reply #332 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 01:59:23 »
Wish there would be an accent kit and/or color mods in RGB and CMY - that would make the set even more versatile

Agreed! I do appreciate that it's meant to be a simple/refined kit without extra complications, but I like the splash of colour that comes with the accents/mods. I'd also love icon mods, but that's not really GMK's style, so I get it. haha :D

Offline meowscanttype

• 65 is bad
« Reply #333 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 14:02:46 »
this is endgame  :thumb:

Offline ryukomatoi

« Reply #334 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 16:35:59 »
KAT profile? PBT? GMK lettering? WS2?! Easy buy/win for me.

Offline Keyjus

« Reply #335 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 17:07:46 »
 Is a spacebar kit not an option?

Offline Kookiekurls

« Reply #336 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 17:50:13 »
Hmm... hope in real life off center legends work on such a sculpted cap.

Offline caviar

« Reply #337 on: Tue, 14 July 2020, 00:57:49 »
1. Any update on when this is expected to run GB?
2. Any chance of seeing what off center legends look like on a sculpted cap in KAT profile?

Offline richard912

« Reply #338 on: Tue, 14 July 2020, 01:33:28 »
Would be nice to see an R3 Home added to the kit

Offline jubei

« Reply #339 on: Tue, 14 July 2020, 04:00:13 »
Slated for October if everything goes smoothly, is the last I heard.

Copy, if GB is October... how far back is KAT expected to be shipped out you guys think?

Eyeing Drop GMK WoB that is shipping end of August. So depending how far shipping for this will be, might need a placeholder. Eventually, I'd like to go all KAT caps.

Offline Clay333

« Reply #340 on: Tue, 14 July 2020, 07:21:35 »
I have never used a Kat set. Are they super tall like SA or closer to GMK height? I personally hate the look of tall keycaps, and from what I can tell from the renders these don't look too tall, maybe 2mm higher than GMK.

Offline kidpid

« Reply #341 on: Tue, 14 July 2020, 09:09:52 »
I have never used a Kat set. Are they super tall like SA or closer to GMK height? I personally hate the look of tall keycaps, and from what I can tell from the renders these don't look too tall, maybe 2mm higher than GMK.

Image from https://thekeeblog.com/overview-of-different-keycap-profiles/

Offline FunBox

• Null
« Reply #342 on: Tue, 14 July 2020, 10:29:26 »
This might give you an idea

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Offline vi0till

« Reply #343 on: Tue, 14 July 2020, 10:40:56 »
Show Image

I would like to try KAT as well. How bad is spacebar warping issue with KAT? Or negligible?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline FunBox

• Null
« Reply #344 on: Tue, 14 July 2020, 10:46:33 »
Show Image

I would like to try KAT as well. How bad is spacebar warping issue with KAT? Or negligible?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
I'm not sure, I grabbed the photo off Instagram a few days ago

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #345 on: Tue, 14 July 2020, 18:52:27 »

I would say negligible. The spacebars I got with my KAT Alpha set were 🍓 good.

On the other hand, I did have some issues with stems cracking on switches that have sliders slightly on the larger side (MX Clears, to be precise).

Edit: clarification
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 July 2020, 07:07:17 by konstantin »

Offline Shikada

« Reply #346 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 02:27:31 »
This is  the first time I hear about stems cracking on KAT. Damn, that's such a shame :(

Offline Biased opinion

« Reply #347 on: Thu, 16 July 2020, 22:20:49 »
This may have already been asked but is there a possibility for a full 5 row Numpad, this would allow for use on 108 key boards and dedicated numpads.

Offline drfranco

« Reply #348 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 10:33:38 »
I'm a sucker for clean thoughtful design. I'm in.

Offline ryukomatoi

« Reply #349 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 18:29:25 »
really hope that future kat sets can also considering using the same fonts etc as well, the font is one the big things that keeps me from getting KAT sets.

thanks this is great work

Seconding.

Thirding.