Author Topic: [GB] SA Oblivion - CONCLUDED  (Read 280058 times)

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
[GB] SA Oblivion - CONCLUDED
« on: Sat, 01 October 2016, 13:54:35 »
Buy VIM Caps and Colevrak Extension now!

MassDrop Page

Sales data visualized by dvorcol

Dedicated github project page

Hello folks!

I am a programmer by trade, and my go-to color theme is the Oblivion one available in Xamarin Studio (and possibly other IDE's as well). I want to mimic the idea of SA Penumbra to draw the color palette from a code coloring theme, in their case the solarized palette. So don't be surprised when you see similarities between this set and the famous Penumbra one, but far enough to not be a straight copy of it.

Check the dedicated project page for the kits!

I'd like to thank and greet everyone who made this project possible. Paolo Borelli, Etienne, Gregor, evangs, ctzn_voyager, Linus Torvalds, the Software Freedom Conservancy, Massdrop, MiTo, t0mb3ry, Quakemz, Zambumon, kingnestea, tokyocoffeenerd, matt3o, rama, Ryan Uber, thinman, jchan94, LivingSpeedBump, Engicoder, jtm_sea, maxhernandez, skullydazed, thesiscamper, a unknown chinese enthusiast and last but not least everyone else from the MKB community for their requests, votes and of course compliments! I hope I have not forgotten anyone!
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 March 2020, 12:45:05 by Oblotzky »

Offline japanitrat

Re: [IC] SA Oblivion
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 01 October 2016, 14:59:42 »
Love it! Would like SA. But DSA would be fine as well (with Chalk alphas). Not particularly interested in GMK either for the same reason: the legends

P.S.: how does Granite cover these colors? It's a light set, as opposed to this one, which is dark. Maybe you meant Dolch?

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 01 October 2016, 15:08:14 »
P.S.: how does Granite cover these colors? It's a light set, as opposed to this one, which is dark. Maybe you meant Dolch?

In the sense that it's a gray base, that's pretty much it. Just wanted to underline that SA lacks a gray set at all while other profiles have similar options already.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 01 October 2016, 17:34:25 »
Added new Kits, I'm very happy with the current split

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
  • * Vendor
  • Please email jchan@keyclack.com. PMs are disabled
    • KeyClack
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 01 October 2016, 22:09:13 »
I actually really like this :). Hope it gets made in any profile (if SA, all R3 pls). Would LOVE a GMK one.
Support Email: support@keyclack.com

Did you miss something from us?

Offline heavenknight

• Making HK-009
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 01 October 2016, 22:30:10 »
Please make Chalk Modifiers too ...

Btw, I think it's better if there is more than just blue legend in Ctrl Row

and, plz make it 112344 T_T
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 October 2016, 23:06:48 by heavenknight »

Offline mit97

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 01 October 2016, 23:18:04 »
This looks great!
Hope to see more updates.

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 01 October 2016, 23:28:49 »
It looks really like a SA version DOLCH. Very classic color matching. Good!

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

Offline MacGruber117

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 01 October 2016, 23:39:43 »
I like it, but try to work more of that purple in there!
I want to buy your ETF and Garbo Pusses. PM me

Offline WOMBO

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 00:26:16 »
that looks amazing

Offline simonyunhe

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 01:24:32 »
Vote for all R3.
KeyBs:|RS96-Brown|GS-87-White|DIYer60-Red|VA68M-Brown|GS-ALT71-Blue|IKBC-108-Black|
KeyCs:|SA Carbon R1+2|SA Camping|SA Amazing Chocolatier|SA Commando 88 Ghost|SA Hyperfuse|SA Penumbra|SA Doom|SA Creamy Orange|SA Ocean Dolch|SA Lotus*72|SA Trouble Minds R2|DSA Granite|GMK TA|GMK Soware|XDA Mailstone|GM Ember|

Offline gadzkun

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 04:44:55 »
i really like this one

1-1-2-3-4-3 must be nice :)

Offline maximm

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 06:03:38 »
Yes please I would like all of the kits

Offline arhetue

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 10:09:47 »
Enjoying the look of this.

Offline nguchet

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 10:53:14 »
Please please please make this happen. I would buy all the kits  :p :p :p. Also SA 1-1-2-3-4-3 pls.
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 October 2016, 11:00:00 by nguchet »

Offline jessica

• Formerly CuteDreamsOfYou & Brazzers
  • HHKB is the only good layout
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 11:04:28 »
This is a neat set. Like a cloudy Penumbra!

Offline SJHL

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 11:39:55 »
If this happens, there's a good chance that I'm going in. SA or GMK for me.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 19:03:16 »
Added homing keys and 1u zero buttons to the Quarry and Chalk kits and a "PULL" key to the Git Kit

I can see the appeal in that, but I feel it would deviate from the initial set too much. I would like to keep the number of sets down. Will do mock ups for both colored and monochrome tomorrow though (lets hope it won't look too pretty or else we will have to keep it :)) )

Btw, I think it's better if there is more than just blue legend in Ctrl Row

I like it, but try to work more of that purple in there!

Two birds one stone? The color would be applied to the FETCH keys of the Git Kit as well then.

Regarding row profiles, I have no clue right now. Will have to gather data from a survey first I think. Will run one once the Kits are more finalized.

Thanks for the feedback so far! Glad you guys like it

Edit:

another option for mixing up colors in the bottom row, not sure yet if I like it, will sleep about that now

« Last Edit: Sun, 02 October 2016, 19:20:43 by Oblotzky »

Offline drakeonyou

• facebook
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 19:13:04 »
I reckon this'd be a cheaper than usual kits from SP should this be an SA kit.

I hope it's sculptured.

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 02:09:27 »
Yes yes yes gray alpha  :-*

Edit: in SA 1-1-2-3-4-3 of course!
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 October 2016, 03:35:19 by jebbra »

Offline My_Thoughts

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 05:03:40 »
Looking very nice.  Looking forward to seeing this progress and help with the child deals :)

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 14:15:22 »
#1 Added Spacebar to Oblivion kit
#2 Changed WIN keys to the Orange-Red shade, wasn't too happy with Purple there and both Purple and Orange-Red as shown in my previous reply was too busy. Git Kit colors have been adjusted accordingly, the examples haven't yet though.
#3 Made PULL the WIN equivalent in the Git Kit, with FORK and FETCH now being the two options for the MENU key
#4 Added an image for the currently selected ABS color chips from Signature Plastics

« Last Edit: Mon, 03 October 2016, 14:22:13 by Oblotzky »

Offline Geckt

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 14:31:26 »
#2 Changed WIN keys to the Orange-Red shade, wasn't too happy with Purple there and both Purple and Orange-Red as shown in my previous reply was too busy. Git Kit colors have been adjusted accordingly, the examples haven't yet though.
#3 Made PULL the WIN equivalent in the Git Kit, with FORK and FETCH now being the two options for the MENU key
#4 Added an image for the currently selected ABS color chips from Signature Plastics

Show Image

@Oblotzky: GMK kets would be nice, but, it would be lower than the oem keyset on your Filco I'd say.
Especially if it's 104, like these in the link: http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard/filco-majestouch-2-nkr-tactile-action-usa-keyboard.asp

Edit: not necessary a bad thing to prefer a lower typing height.
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 October 2016, 14:35:26 by Geckt »

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 16:05:18 »
@Oblotzky: GMK kets would be nice, but, it would be lower than the oem keyset on your Filco I'd say.
Especially if it's 104, like these in the link: http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard/filco-majestouch-2-nkr-tactile-action-usa-keyboard.asp

I'm not too concerned with that, but thanks for pointing it out! I own the Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja in ANSI layout myself, you were close

I can see the appeal in that, but I feel it would deviate from the initial set too much. I would like to keep the number of sets down. Will do mock ups for both colored and monochrome tomorrow though (lets hope it won't look too pretty or else we will have to keep it :)) )

Looks interesting, wish I could just say I'd add it, but MOQ for the original set needs to be met primarily.

Offline Hypocaffeinic

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 16:55:20 »
This looks fantastic! Good luck bringing it together, I'm definitely in for either SA or DSA.  :thumb:

Offline heavenknight

• Making HK-009
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 21:31:59 »

I'm not too concerned with that, but thanks for pointing it out! I own the Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja in ANSI layout myself, you were close

Looks interesting, wish I could just say I'd add it, but MOQ for the original set needs to be met primarily.

Show Image

Show Image

112344 then I will buy 2 sets immediately :))

Offline gadzkun

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 23:19:03 »
Go for SA. Dont go DSA or GMK. both of em had already dolch dsa/gmk :)

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 04 October 2016, 00:16:44 »

Show Image

GPA looks too dark if refering your render, how about GO/GY/GA?

Offline priyadi

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 04 October 2016, 01:36:06 »
Oh man, the git mods will seriously increase my geekness attribute in the workplace.

Some suggestions:

• git logo novelties: https://git-scm.com/downloads/logos ; I prefer the authentic orange on white for Esc R1, and white on dark gray for 1¼/1½ mods. This is also a perfect opportunity for git logo+text in orange on white, though I'm not sure where, maybe for enter key? Logos are covered under CC license, I'm sure SP won't object.
  • 1¾U short right shift + tsangan set
  • alt layout kits (dvorak, colemak, workman)
  • Planck/Preonic & Ergodox kits
Boards: Filco TKL+HID Liberation, Infinity 60%, Sentraq S60-X, Whitefox, Ergodox, Planck.
Member of the flat keyboard society.
Keycap manifesto: "Key sets without vendor neutral Super key are worthless"

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 04 October 2016, 05:25:04 »
GPA looks too dark if refering your render, how about GO/GY/GA?
(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

So far I have used the same shading used in keyboard-layout-editor.com, the actual color value is only used for the base there, while the shiny top uses a brighter shade as would be the case in real life with more light exposure. I'm not certain how to do it as realistic as possible, but I think it should also be known that renders are never 100% the same as the finished product, that is why I added an image for the chips to be used. I will do another set of images tonight with the top shading removed the and color picked from the color chips directly (by averaging a 32x32 pixel area). They won't look as fancy, but should give a better idea of the finished product.

Oh man, the git mods will seriously increase my geekness attribute in the workplace.

Some suggestions:

• git logo novelties: https://git-scm.com/downloads/logos ; I prefer the authentic orange on white for Esc R1, and white on dark gray for 1¼/1½ mods. This is also a perfect opportunity for git logo+text in orange on white, though I'm not sure where, maybe for enter key? Logos are covered under CC license, I'm sure SP won't object.
  • 1¾U short right shift + tsangan set
  • alt layout kits (dvorak, colemak, workman)
  • Planck/Preonic & Ergodox kits

Git logo as an alternate ESC key is a very good idea, I think I will limit it to ON on GEW colors though as the Git kit will only come in dark even if the Chalk Modifier kit were to be part of the final GB. And the license shouldn't be an issue it seems. However I disagree with using it in combination with text on other modifiers. IMO thats fugly and my biggest beef with GMK sets, they stand out too much and break the uniformity.

Also that reminds me that I should use this opportunity and include a GIT GUD key  :rolleyes:

Regarding additional sets, I really need some help here. I know very little about keyboards that go beyond the "standard" stuff such as my own Filco. I think I can't just copy the required keys from other sets like Godspeed or so as I believe they also include some additional variation/text novelties that aren't a must for those layouts. So if someone could guide me to templates for Tsangan/Ergodox/Planck etc that are THE BARE MINIMUM that would really help me, and therefor you guys that need it, out.

Edit: Ergodox and Planck seem pretty forward with the Presets provided in keyboard-layout-editor.com, the Tsangan/Whitefox stuff is still a questionmark for me though.

And your signature reminds me that there should be alternate keys for WIN, such as SUPER/META, but given the context, CODE might be the most appropriate one.

Edit: Oh, and I'm tending towards 112343 sculp, would give more reason to run DSA at a later point  :))
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 October 2016, 07:25:06 by Oblotzky »

Offline atectatifern

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 04 October 2016, 06:13:31 »
Interested!

Offline heavenknight

• Making HK-009
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 04 October 2016, 09:31:43 »
Edit: Oh, and I'm tending towards 112343 sculp, would give more reason to run DSA at a later point  :))

Very disappointed ... Better wait for another set  :'(

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 04 October 2016, 09:41:02 »

Very disappointed ... Better wait for another set  :'(

Nothing is set in stone yet, should have left it at "fully sculpted" or so  ;) I think a poll in the upcoming Google survey will be a deciding factor. Sadly not everyone can be kept happy!
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 October 2016, 09:42:59 by Oblotzky »

Offline priyadi

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 04 October 2016, 09:49:19 »
Git logo as an alternate ESC key is a very good idea, I think I will limit it to ON on GEW colors though as the Git kit will only come in dark even if the Chalk Modifier kit were to be part of the final GB. And the license shouldn't be an issue it seems. However I disagree with using it in combination with text on other modifiers. IMO thats fugly and my biggest beef with GMK sets, they stand out too much and break the uniformity.

I somewhat agree with the GMK logo+text, but in this case, the text can be seen as part of the git logo and branding. That Adelle font is also used throughout their web site and it is beautiful :). But YMMV, I'll go along with whatever decision you make.

Also that reminds me that I should use this opportunity and include a GIT GUD key  :rolleyes:

:)

Regarding additional sets, I really need some help here. I know very little about keyboards that go beyond the "standard" stuff such as my own Filco. I think I can't just copy the required keys from other sets like Godspeed or so as I believe they also include some additional variation/text novelties that aren't a must for those layouts. So if someone could guide me to templates for Tsangan/Ergodox/Planck etc that are THE BARE MINIMUM that would really help me, and therefor you guys that need it, out.

Edit: Ergodox and Planck seem pretty forward with the Presets provided in keyboard-layout-editor.com, the Tsangan/Whitefox stuff is still a questionmark for me though.

Tsangan is basically an addition of 1.5-1-1.5-7-1.5-1-1.5 bottom row. More here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/Adapter_kit#Tsangan_kit

Whitefox is a bit complicated. It came with 5 different options with different keycap requirements. More here: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/the-whitefox-keyboard?mode=guest_open

And your signature reminds me that there should be alternate keys for WIN, such as SUPER/META, but given the context, CODE might be the most appropriate one.

I'm content with anything as long as the git kit gets produced :). But CODE is great, would be the first time for SA.

Great! That's my favorite SA sculpt.
Boards: Filco TKL+HID Liberation, Infinity 60%, Sentraq S60-X, Whitefox, Ergodox, Planck.
Member of the flat keyboard society.
Keycap manifesto: "Key sets without vendor neutral Super key are worthless"

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 04 October 2016, 13:40:57 »

DSA/GMK would be amazing!  SA is great, too though.  Interested!

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 04 October 2016, 14:07:22 »
I really like the set, especially the Chalk. Nothing much to add really, I'm buying if it comes to be is pretty much it.

Oh and DSA would be my preferred profile for a set of this theme, sculpted/uniform SA is fine too though, not keen on GMK for this particular one especially given I already have plenty of their sets.

Best of luck!

Offline Fictiouz

• That "White" Guy
  • "You miss 100% of the shots you take." -S. Trooper
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 04 October 2016, 14:08:47 »
Chalk and GMK and you have another supporter. My god this set is beautiful.
Halifax, NS Meetup | "I know you'll come back to me, I'm like a good kind of herpes, I'm impossible to get rid of." - 27
67g Zilent V2 M60-A | BKE Redux HHKB Professional 2 | 62g Silent Black Planck | 62g Vint Black Tex Yoda II | Bolt-Modded Model M 1391301

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 04 October 2016, 16:45:47 »
Yea I would love to buy but I need a tsangan kit for a HHKB layout. also stepped caps and stepped ctrl please! 1u pipe/backslash
x2 1u alt
1u FN (BBJ)
1u pipe/backslash (RDA)
x2 1.5u WIN
1.5u delete key (BO)
1.75u shift,
1.75u stepped CTRL (BE)
7u spacebar

layout here

Someone tell me if i missed anything.

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 04 October 2016, 16:46:42 »
Yea I would love to buy but I need a tsangan kit for a HHKB layout. also stepped caps and stepped ctrl please! 1u pipe/backslash
x2 1u alt
1u FN
1u pipe/backslash
x2 1.5u WIN
1.5u delete key
1.75u shift,
1.75u stepped CTRL
7u spacebar

layout here

Someone tell me if i missed anything.

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 05 October 2016, 07:05:30 »
neat set, I'd get it if it were DSA profile... DSA PBT even better

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 05 October 2016, 10:16:38 »

PBT = Dye Sub = Can't do lighter legend than base color

That's why Hana or Dolch is ABS Double Shot

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 01:02:30 »

PBT = Dye Sub = Can't do lighter legend than base color

That's why Hana or Dolch is ABS Double Shot

I know... I'm just still disappointed SP can't do DSA PBT doubleshot... also, I'd probably trade off the PBT benefit for DSA profile... I got way too much SA and not enough DSA

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 01:06:38 »
Really like the idea, concept and story behind the set. Might join this one if it goes GB. Good work! Keep it coming.

Offline jal

• I can't believe it's not gravy!
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 09:29:05 »
I like. The monochromes/Quarry colors are my speed. And I think I need an SA set in my life.

Offline SevenU

• Grimace is Black
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 17:51:48 »
If this goes DSA I'll probably get in on chalk and oblivion. Definitely not getting if it is SA though.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

Something, Something, blah, blah, blahbitty, blah

Offline Oatburner

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 18:17:21 »
This looks like it would be very nice in sculptured SA profile.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 21:19:46 »
I like the idea, I know that similar things have been long brewing for GMK, for example, Sheraton's new Sky Dolch Modifiers gets close to the uniquely coloured modifiers concept

My .02
1) No Cmd/Meta/Super like keycaps = :(
2) Maybe stick to the core ideals of your set, drop monochrome, and instead add various assorted modifiers instead - If someone is looking for double-coloured modifiers, there are other options
2-a) Or double-down on monochrome, add various modifiers for various usages
3) Coloured arrows could be interesting too

The Git modifiers are super cool, I personally wouldn't use them tho
Another personal opinion, while GMK/Cherry is best, DSA > SA for coding for me, SA looks great, but it's super tall

------

Honest opinion, while the set is OSX-hostile, "Chalk, Oblivion, Git" combo could be a big-hit in SA, for coders without OCD - tho it's awfully similar to SA Penumbra
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 October 2016, 00:41:45 by KHAANNN »
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline rondg

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 23:40:45 »
This really look great! The Quarry, Oblivion combo is really good. I hope there is enough interest in this.. and the 1800 layout as well  ;D

Offline cpeterson19

• Curis Computers
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 08:15:55 »
Beautiful man, i hope this makes it to GB

Offline effectiveduck

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 08:25:19 »
Never used SA and I'm pretty skeptical of it but this is gorgeous!

I usualy use Monokai (I think thats what it's called) in all my text editors but I think I might be changing now :p

One change I would like to see though, would be keeping the bottom row legends white rather than red and blue, similar to how penumbra was designed, not a big deal though.

Great stuff!