Author Topic: animated avatars disabled?  (Read 35469 times)

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
animated avatars disabled?
« on: Tue, 24 July 2012, 23:37:25 »
Did animated GIFs just get turned into stills?
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
Re: animated avatars disabled?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 25 July 2012, 04:13:24 »
we did not turn on any options to make this happen, but it is trying to pull down avatars (believe me, you want this), and may be attempting to resize when it does.

if this is the case, the solution is to re-upload your avatar but resize the animated gif to 100x100 before uploading

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline kps

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 25 July 2012, 07:16:57 »
we did not turn on any options to make this happen
Aw, for a moment I thought geekhack had acquired a sliver of taste.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 25 July 2012, 13:31:49 »
we did not turn on any options to make this happen
Aw, for a moment I thought geekhack had acquired a sliver of taste.

11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 25 July 2012, 23:25:10 »
Ah, finally had a chance to throw my avatar into imagemagick. Lookin good ;)

Offline MMB

• I no longer use this account. Please email me.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 25 July 2012, 23:37:18 »

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 28 July 2012, 23:23:51 »

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 28 July 2012, 23:32:07 »
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 28 July 2012, 23:35:43 »

Offline Coreda

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 26 October 2012, 20:47:17 »
Hmm, tried uploading my animated profile avatar @ 100x100px and 52kb but it returned a static image instead.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Thanks  :).

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 26 October 2012, 21:34:03 »
I was having the same problem but then I resized it down to something like 60x60 (using this free online image editor) and it works! 
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 October 2012, 21:35:51 by reaper »
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 27 October 2012, 05:35:09 »
Show Image

I didnt know he skates. That is pretty cool.

Show Image

And, Still watching ;)

Show Image

Poor hamster! Haha his face was like "wtf?"
SmallFry! <3

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 03 March 2013, 20:25:09 »
Apologies for the necro, but I can't get gifs to animate when used as an avatar, I've tried all sorts of resolutions and file sizes, but so far it just shows up as a still image. Are there limits for gifs? I also couldn't see any guidelines for avatar limits generally, shouldn't those generally be displayed next to the upload feature?

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 03 March 2013, 22:23:10 »
I spent way too long recently trying to get this to work, and it came down to file size for me.  I'm not sure what the file size limit is, but there is one.  And if the image is larger than a certain resolution (100 x 100 I think?) it is resized by the forum software and won't animate.  So your gif needs to be below both file size and length/width limits to work.

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 03 March 2013, 22:33:59 »
I spent way too long recently trying to get this to work, and it came down to file size for me.  I'm not sure what the file size limit is, but there is one.  And if the image is larger than a certain resolution (100 x 100 I think?) it is resized by the forum software and won't animate.  So your gif needs to be below both file size and length/width limits to work.

It won't animate if higher than 95x95

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 03 March 2013, 22:35:26 »
I'm not sure what the file size limit is, but there is one.

To be clearer, a gif larger than the limit will upload but not animate.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 07:03:10 »

It won't animate if higher than 95x95
I had a 76x76 at 78.7KB, wouldn't animate.
Your avatar is 99x76 at 83KB and shows up animated for me at least, so there might be something I'm missing. Is there a limit to frames, and not just size and dimensions?

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 07:58:06 »

I made this (well, a cropped version) my avatar briefly. But it was far too distracting. Then I had one of Coach McGurk throwing on his shades, (much smaller) and it failed to animate. There must be a magic number on file size/image size that will allow it. Sth's avatar is still animating, but maybe I'll clear my internet cache, LOL!
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline Lunartuna

• Good bye money!
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 08:18:26 »
(Attachment Link)

I made this (well, a cropped version) my avatar briefly. But it was far too distracting. Then I had one of Coach McGurk throwing on his shades, (much smaller) and it failed to animate. There must be a magic number on file size/image size that will allow it. Sth's avatar is still animating, but maybe I'll clear my internet cache, LOL!

Oh god ROFL.

This is probably what it would look like if she was in a bad accident with the vehicle rolling over multiple times.
Shine 2 TKL - Choc Mini

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 08:26:06 »
Oh god ROFL.
This is probably what it would look like if she was in a bad accident with the vehicle rolling over multiple times.

The story goes that some ... eh, bad-looking photos of Beyonce made it onto the web. So, she asked one of her media flacks to 'take care of it'. This flack didn't know much about how the Interwebz work, so she was trying to find a contact number, so she could ask for the photos to be taken down.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 09:21:00 »
i didn't know beyonce was epileptic. poor girl :(

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 16:02:37 »
So I walked through the code and I can see what the problem is here.  The upload process always uses the resize logic, so I'm not even sure how anyone manages to get an animated gif to work as an avatar.  I've disabled one of the features that is triggering this, but i suspect it won't be enough.  LMK.
Russ

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 16:09:19 »
So I walked through the code and I can see what the problem is here.  The upload process always uses the resize logic, so I'm not even sure how anyone manages to get an animated gif to work as an avatar.  I've disabled one of the features that is triggering this, but i suspect it won't be enough.  LMK.

People who use animated avatars, resize them down to 95x95 before uploading them :)

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 11:31:05 »
I haven't looked at the code, but in my experiments there are both image size and disk space limits on animated gifs.  No larger than 100 x 100 and so many KB (can't remember now how many, of course :P )

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 12:16:27 »
I haven't looked at the code, but in my experiments there are both image size and disk space limits on animated gifs.  No larger than 100 x 100 and so many KB (can't remember now how many, of course :P )

After some experimenting, the max size was in the 20k to 21k range, I forget which -- it doesn't allow for a lot of animation, but that's fine.
More

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 16:34:56 »
20kb? weird. i would have at least set it to a power of 2..

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 16:53:14 »
There is no explicit size limit that I could fine, but the aspect ratio calculations before the resize may cause some rounding errors when using exactly 100 as the x or y.
Russ

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 14:53:27 »
There's definitely some kind of file size issue.  My klaxon avatar originally had more frames, but wouldn't animate after upload.  I cut out two or three frames and resubmitted at the same resolution and bam.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 15:13:26 »
The agony that your avatar causes my current headache is severe. ;_;

Offline Glissant

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 12:12:55 »
I have a question. What was changed so that the resizer no longer handles transparency in uploaded avatars? I used to be able to just upload 200x200 (or whatever size I uploaded), and the re-sizer would handle the transparent background without a problem. Now I have to re-size to 100x100 for transparent parts of an avatar to stay transparent.
It's not really a problem for me, but I thought I could just mention it somewhere, and as I saw something might have been changed for the use of animated avatars GD might not be handling stuff correctly anymore *shrug*.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 14:29:21 »
I haven't actually touched anything in that code, so I dunno.  Is it being converted into a PNG by chance?  SMF's handling of this is really awful.
Russ

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 17:59:43 »
maybe just requires some tweaking of where  imagemagick gets called?

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 01:23:32 »
I've been trying to get my avvy to work.  It's just frame #1 and nothing beyond that :(
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 01:24:50 »
I've been trying to get my avvy to work.  It's just frame #1 and nothing beyond that :(

Make it 95 x 95 and it will work :p

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 02:00:10 »
unfortunately that didn't help :(

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 02:27:07 »
90x90,

original,

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
Re: Re: animated avatars disabled?
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 02:29:03 »
90x90,
(Attachment Link)

original,
(Attachment Link)

Lol that's so ****ing awesome!!!

When I was using a gif for an avatar, I had to shrink it a little below 100 x100 and I believe 95 x 95 worked, but maybe I'm wrong.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 02:39:20 »
If I look at the image properties of my avatar it's 2.7kb whereas the gif is 19kb.  Something is amiss :-/

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 02:41:54 »
Yes, I just tried messing with size and even hosting it, but no go :(

PS - I loved your Moose avatar video!!

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 21:17:19 »
Figured this sticky situation out!

Rule for submitting your animated gif if you use photoshop to compile your picture.

No dimension over 100 pixels
No metadata
64 colors, no more or less
no more than 26 frames
Length of frame delay does not matter.
Use the "web snap" option to give your picture more or less web safe colors.

Problem with my image was that it had metadata and that I had a color that was not recognized by ye-ol web converter when it comes to uploaded gifs.

How did I find this out?

Tolerances!   I was not able to upload my gif animated with more than 26 frames, no more than 100 pixels, metadata, above or below 64 colors etc etc etc, and etc.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 21:57:20 »
LOL...what a pain.  All of this nonsense is happening inside of GC, but there are also some off bits of PHP code for avatars that may be contributing.
Russ

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
Re: Geekhack is turning into reddit.
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 20:35:49 »
I wanted to change my Avatar into a sepia-GIF of kermit the frog, the UFO was only a place-holder, however  it does not animate when uploaded, I followed all the instructions:

Figured this sticky situation out!

Rule for submitting your animated gif if you use photoshop to compile your picture.

No dimension over 100 pixels
No metadata
64 colors, no more or less
no more than 26 frames
Length of frame delay does not matter.
Use the "web snap" option to give your picture more or less web safe colors.

Problem with my image was that it had metadata and that I had a color that was not recognized by ye-ol web converter when it comes to uploaded gifs.

How did I find this out?

Tolerances!   I was not able to upload my gif animated with more than 26 frames, no more than 100 pixels, metadata, above or below 64 colors etc etc etc, and etc.

Is there something I am missing?

This is the GIF I am trying to upload:

I know it's not because of the colours, since I've tried to upload a monochrome version (only black and white) and that also didn't work. Its also not because of the frames, since its exactly 26 frames, and I also tried to upload version with less and it didn't work. I don't know what "metadata" is tho.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 May 2016, 21:10:43 by Olumin »

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 21 May 2016, 09:25:42 »
Maybe try uploading it to another hosting site like imgur? I managed to get mine to work but then someone just edited down the quality and framerate for me.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 22:09:45 »
There may be a filesize limitation as well -- I'm not certain of all the details as I don't have access to the backend of the site and I've never attempted to make a gif avatar for myself.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 23:59:37 »
Animated avatars are the worst.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 15:49:53 »
There is a file size limit. 100K I think?

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 17:34:49 »

excuse me
I love Elzy

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 17:44:26 »
all I know is most icon sized gif's work as avatars here.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 18:53:31 »

excuse me

Shoot, sorry.
What I meant to say was

Mari is the worst.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious