Author Topic: There are so many damn good keyboards! which one to choose?  (Read 1261 times)

Offline jojohalin

There are so many damn good keyboards! which one to choose?
« on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 15:31:43 »
I have unicomp spacesaver M, filco, das in my mind.

Unicomp seems having a great deal on customized M models.

What is your opinion? Should I go for Unicomp? If so, any other great keyboards less than $150? I am a programmer. I am not into games. I guess I do a lot of programming.

Thank you GH!

Offline slueth

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 15:34:14 »
Get the unicomp!  They are really awesome.

Offline eagleeye

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 16:03:38 »
My personal preference would go in the order you listed them, Unicomp>Filco>Das

Unicomp is the cheapest, and I find buckling springs to be the most enjoyable.  I find Filco to be better quality than Das, and it will also will hold its resale value better if you decide to change boards.  

There are plenty of other options out there, but if you want buckling springs, you can't go wrong with a unicomp!

Offline piken

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 16:11:26 »
I would also suggests a board with Clears or Ergo-clears if you like them softer.

I personally love BS boards, but they are way to loud for my work. I have 2 boards I now use there. I have a das pro silent (browns), and a poker with ergo-clears (45g springs from the browns I got it with and clear stems). It cost me about 140 for the poker with the stems from clear switches then about an hour to put them in.

I love that board for coding as the tactile point is about as crisp as a BS board and it is a lot easier on the ears of the guys around me.

I also am a programmer and have used an IBM model M, MX Blues, Browns, Clears, and Ergo-clears. Out of these, I like the BS board the best and the ergo-clears second.

The only thing that took time for me to get use to on the poker was no f keys so I had to hit the fn + number keys to run through debugger commands. But I love the small foot print on the board when I don't have any data entry tests to do for the code.

Offline rhizo

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 16:12:14 »
have a look at wasdkeyboards as they have customisable boards and have great support and build quality :thumb:

Offline jojohalin

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 17:47:49 »
Thank you GH members. :)

Offline jojohalin

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 17:51:07 »
http://pckeyboard.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=PCK&Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=ClassicTrackball

this classic trackball looks awesome. Anyone exp. with this one?