Author Topic: [IC] GMK Maroon | GB March 28th!  (Read 78183 times)

Offline MrBingo

Re: [IC] GMK Maroon | Collabs announced!
« Reply #150 on: Tue, 03 August 2021, 11:39:59 »
Looks like a fine Wine, nice job

Offline Banned

« Reply #151 on: Tue, 03 August 2021, 14:06:11 »
Really beautiful set, I am buying it if it comes to GB.
I've only been buying keeps for the last year or so, are there any other case options that look similar to the Iron165 Plum that would match well with this set? RAMA U80 in Port comes close but it doesn't seem as deep as the Plum. Otherwise, the dark gray in OP's signature is a beautiful look as well.

The maroon colorway for the Mode65 *might* work, but IMO any neutral-colored board goes well with the set.

Offline DeMechanica

« Reply #152 on: Tue, 03 August 2021, 19:32:23 »
I think that stopping GMK Bordeaux from using the more popular alphas colour because of similarity is (a) unnecessary, (b) selfish, and (c) it hurts the community.

For a community that cares so much about similarity with colours and renders not matching the actual product, why is there not room for two different colours with different accent colours and novelties? They appeal to different audiences.

Just run them at different times and forget about the similarity. I am writing this here because the runner of this set is the person responsible for this, and I am very disappointed that you would do this. Your set is beautiful in its own right, there's no need to harm someone else's set.

Offline Banned

« Reply #153 on: Tue, 03 August 2021, 21:38:46 »
I think that stopping GMK Bordeaux from using the more popular alphas colour because of similarity is (a) unnecessary, (b) selfish, and (c) it hurts the community.

For a community that cares so much about similarity with colours and renders not matching the actual product, why is there not room for two different colours with different accent colours and novelties? They appeal to different audiences.

Just run them at different times and forget about the similarity. I am writing this here because the runner of this set is the person responsible for this, and I am very disappointed that you would do this. Your set is beautiful in its own right, there's no need to harm someone else's set.

You may be unaware but Kevster and I have agreed to keep the alt alphas out of the base together. If he had not been willing, then his base would already be mono. As for the gb times, we came to the agreement that having one of us delay our gb and leave people waiting wouldn’t be the best choice.

I am not stopping Kevster from doing anything, we’ve discussed it and came to a solution that makes both of us happy. Apologies for not being clear about this from the start.

Offline chinchilla

« Reply #154 on: Tue, 03 August 2021, 22:02:01 »
wine color

Offline Banned

« Reply #155 on: Wed, 04 August 2021, 19:42:14 »

Offline Kinesiologist

« Reply #156 on: Sat, 04 September 2021, 22:15:29 »
yes please, im ready :D

Offline Banned

« Reply #157 on: Sun, 05 September 2021, 00:07:04 »
yes please, im ready :D

Me too haha. Waiting for second round of quotes, so look out for GB Q4 2021 or Q1 2022!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #158 on: Tue, 07 September 2021, 07:29:21 »
Base Kit
Show Image

Your base kit is missing R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn for 65%/75% boards (as well as spacekeys, 1.5u OS keys etc, but let's focus on these two for now) — yet it includes many other less common/useful keys that probably shouldn't be in a GMK base kit and definitely aren't necessary for physical compat. How did that happen?

You should at the very least include a R3 Raise key, so that R3 Raise, R4 Lower can be used as substitutes for the aforementioned keys.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 September 2021, 07:44:57 by konstantin »

Offline VellFlamm

« Reply #159 on: Thu, 09 September 2021, 20:26:24 »
Base Kit
Show Image

Your base kit is missing R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn for 65%/75% boards

Can't you just use the R1 Del, R2 Pg Up, R3 Pg Dn, R4 End, R4 Right arrow for that column?

Offline menuhin

« Reply #160 on: Fri, 10 September 2021, 04:59:38 »
Base Kit
Show Image

Can't you just use the R1 Del, R2 Pg Up, R3 Pg Dn, R4 End, R4 Right arrow for that column?

I think a very common configuration is also R1 Home, R2 Pg Up, R3 Pg Dn, R4 End
There are lots of variants of 65% these days with 1 or 2 or 3 keys missing on this column - but I think the base kit covers the above config.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #161 on: Fri, 10 September 2021, 07:04:05 »
Base Kit
Show Image

In short: no. The two most common configurations are:
  • R1 Home/Delete, R2 PgUp, R3 PgDn, R4 End/Fn
  • R1 any/Home, R2 Delete/End, R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn
The latter is currently not covered.

See here for a more detailed explanation.

Edit: Mind you, if this were any other layout, covering these variations wouldn't be so important, but we're talking about 65% here — the single most popular layout in the community. It also helps a bit with 75%, which is somewhere around 4th or 5th place (although it could arguably be higher now due to the recent popularity of GMMK Pro, Keychron Q1 and other 75% boards; the latest community-wide stats we have are from last year). Choosing to cover 40% ortho boards in the base kit over these way more popular layouts makes very little sense.
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 September 2021, 07:15:45 by konstantin »

Offline menuhin

« Reply #162 on: Fri, 10 September 2021, 07:46:38 »
More
Base Kit
Show Image

In short: no. The two most common configurations are:
  • R1 Home/Delete, R2 PgUp, R3 PgDn, R4 End/Fn
  • R1 any/Home, R2 Delete/End, R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn
The latter is currently not covered.

See here for a more detailed explanation.

Edit: Mind you, if this were any other layout, covering these variations wouldn't be so important, but we're talking about 65% here — the single most popular layout in the community. It also helps a bit with 75%, which is somewhere around 4th or 5th place (although it could arguably be higher now due to the recent popularity of GMMK Pro, Keychron Q1 and other 75% boards; the latest community-wide stats we have are from last year). Choosing to cover 40% ortho boards in the base kit over these way more popular layouts makes very little sense.

I looked up a really popular 65% keyboard: Leopold FC660
Its most common config of the right most column are:
R1 Insert, R2 Del
or
R1 Home, R2 End

There are lots of 65% design out there, but where there are lots of variation among these 65% for the right-most column, i.e. some has a full column, some left out the top most key, some left out the key right to the up-arrow, some left out the middle key between the top 2 and the bottom 2.
It's quite a Zoo out there for these 65% layout.
I prefer the full right-most column > left out the middle key (of the 5 rows) > the Leopold FC660 >> all other
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #163 on: Fri, 10 September 2021, 07:57:34 »
I looked up a really popular 65% keyboard: Leopold FC660
Its most common config of the right most column are:
R1 Insert, R2 Del
or
R1 Home, R2 End

We don't really consider the FC660 to be a 65% board. That's a 660 board (aka. 66-key). In fact, the whole category of 660 gets its name from that board.

The FC660 and similar boards are not very relevant to the right column discussion because they lack a proper right column and also have different spacing and key sizing in the bottom-right region compared to 65% boards.

However, you are right that it's a “zoo” out there with 65%s, as you put it :) That's why we have to try and cover several possible variations, given the popularity of the form factor.
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 September 2021, 08:04:00 by konstantin »

Offline VellFlamm

« Reply #164 on: Fri, 10 September 2021, 08:36:50 »
I'm pretty sure most of 65%75% users use QMK to change their keymaps, so It's not like everyone actually puts those keys there right?
I feel like physical coverage is enough here. It's not like you are having to use Numpad keys or anything like that.

Offline nvh2092

« Reply #165 on: Fri, 10 September 2021, 12:52:08 »
I'm pretty sure most of 65%75% users use QMK to change their keymaps, so It's not like everyone actually puts those keys there right?
I feel like physical coverage is enough here. It's not like you are having to use Numpad keys or anything like that.
The R3 PgUp and R4 PgDn setup is actually very popular in Asia.

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #166 on: Sun, 10 October 2021, 21:55:42 »
Next round of quotes back? Looking forward to this set.

Offline Exluna

« Reply #167 on: Sun, 10 October 2021, 22:52:30 »
Tis a pretty colour. Me likey very much.

Offline vishydesigns

« Reply #168 on: Mon, 11 October 2021, 21:10:25 »
Doesnt exactly look like maroon to me, but I like this color a lot better! Set looks awesome! Cant wait for it!

Offline Banned

« Reply #169 on: Fri, 22 October 2021, 01:04:11 »
Doesnt exactly look like maroon to me, but I like this color a lot better! Set looks awesome! Cant wait for it!

Thank you! Just waiting on second round of quotes now.

Tis a pretty colour. Me likey very much.

Thanks!

Next round of quotes back? Looking forward to this set.

Not yet, hopefully they will come back soon, an IC overhaul will be coming with them! Very excited  :p

Offline kkd_20

« Reply #170 on: Sat, 23 October 2021, 13:34:37 »
Low effort set : CHECK
No Themes : CHECK
Topography deskmat! really RFP Monies incoming?? : CHECK
Overused seihaiga pattern deskmat? Just put hiragana in your set as well at this point.

One of the lowest effort set I have ever seen in a while.  Awful renders ( RAL 4004 does not even look close to the renders) and random deskmat designs borrowed from other sets is what defines this set.
The only thing I see great here is your ability to convince the vendors to run this low effort set.

Offline Banned

« Reply #171 on: Sat, 23 October 2021, 14:45:39 »
Overused seihaiga pattern deskmat? Just put hiragana in your set as well at this point.

One of the lowest effort set I have ever seen in a while.  Awful renders ( RAL 4004 does not even look close to the renders) and random deskmat designs borrowed from other sets is what defines this set.
The only thing I see great here is your ability to convince the vendors to run this low effort set.

I want to address the points you've made here to try and help you understand where I'm coming from making this set, as I absolutely do not think that any set, even a mono color inspired set is low effort, but I can see where you're coming from.

1. Any set takes a significant amount of effort from the designer to design. I have novelties that I could have used for the set and created an inspiration around it, but I did not feel that doing so would go with the simple and clean look I want to achieve with Maroon. I created the set because I haven't seen a truly red/purple set on the market and I thought it would be nice to turn it into something real.

2. As for deskmats, with no inspiration or over arching theme for the set, it is difficult to have an inspired deskmat that looks cool nice. I wanted a clean aesthetic for my deskmats, so I chose a topo deskmat (which will actually go along with another collaboration, hence why I chose it, not because of the RFP one. RFP was not the first to do topo, nor will he be the last). The Seihaiga deskmat is a collaboration with BobaSweatandTears, (runner of the seigaiha deskmats in the first place) who was originally the novelty designer for the set as well. I'm sorry if you feel they are too simple or uninspired, maybe the Pompadour deskmat is more up your alley.

3. The renders and colors will be updated pending a requote from GMK with more color accuracy, but feel free to let me know what you think after that about the colors! I'm always open to more feedback about the colors, and I'd love to improve the accuracy of them!

I hope this clarified where I'm coming from with this set, and I'm sorry if you feel that it is low effort.
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 October 2021, 15:00:50 by Banned »

« Reply #172 on: Sat, 23 October 2021, 14:55:28 »
you're not a player till you have haters

Offline Banned

« Reply #173 on: Sat, 23 October 2021, 15:06:26 »

Offline Ella

• Why is it called an oven
« Reply #174 on: Sat, 23 October 2021, 16:13:58 »

deez nuts

Offline illusixn

• Formerly illusixn
« Reply #175 on: Sat, 23 October 2021, 16:19:10 »

Offline noorejji

« Reply #176 on: Sat, 23 October 2021, 19:45:44 »
I suppose WoB etc isn’t allowed to exist then

Offline Banned

« Reply #177 on: Sat, 23 October 2021, 20:29:29 »
I suppose WoB etc isn’t allowed to exist then

Mono is kil

Offline vishydesigns

« Reply #178 on: Sat, 23 October 2021, 21:10:01 »
rip international support

Offline Banned

« Reply #179 on: Sat, 23 October 2021, 21:43:02 »
rip international support

International support is not viable for GMK due to them rarely reaching MOQ.

Offline VoodooBear

« Reply #180 on: Wed, 27 October 2021, 05:45:09 »

Found the clown.

Offline honeybee

« Reply #181 on: Wed, 27 October 2021, 19:42:35 »
Another vote for a maroon-on-white alt alpha kit. :)

« Reply #182 on: Mon, 27 December 2021, 14:57:14 »
How’s this coming along?

Offline Banned

« Reply #183 on: Mon, 17 January 2022, 04:59:14 »
IC has been updated with renders, kits (including an alt alpha kit!), and a couple more things! Look out for deskmat samples, a GB date, and some collaboration news soon!
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 January 2022, 05:02:20 by Banned »

Offline VXQN

« Reply #184 on: Mon, 17 January 2022, 05:11:36 »
Absolutely love the new kitting/kits! This just went from a maybe to a definitely for me (especially now that Taiga is going RU only).

Offline just_lookin87

« Reply #185 on: Mon, 17 January 2022, 18:14:10 »
This is looking really good. I do think it is missing a couple important keys though.

The alt alphas should also include a r1 pipe "| \" key like the main kit does. Personally I would love 1.5u r4 function key (novelty also works for me).

Offline Banned

« Reply #186 on: Mon, 17 January 2022, 18:27:51 »
This is looking really good. I do think it is missing a couple important keys though.

The alt alphas should also include a r1 pipe "| \" key like the main kit does. Personally I would love 1.5u r4 function key (novelty also works for me).

Unfortunately, to cut down costs, split backspace support in the alt alpha kit and full HHKB were removed. I wanted to keep the cost of the alt alpha kit down especially considering how large the base kit is.

Offline just_lookin87

« Reply #187 on: Mon, 17 January 2022, 18:41:40 »

Unfortunately, to cut down costs, split backspace support in the alt alpha kit and full HHKB were removed. I wanted to keep the cost of the alt alpha kit down especially considering how large the base kit is.

It is a huge base kit to be sure! It has very generous amount of compatibility for a base kit. Totally understand on the pricing decisions you are making for your set. Just expressing my interest incase there was a chance it was possible.

All in all a very nice looking set, well done.

Offline Banned

« Reply #188 on: Mon, 17 January 2022, 23:33:49 »

It is a huge base kit to be sure! It has very generous amount of compatibility for a base kit. Totally understand on the pricing decisions you are making for your set. Just expressing my interest incase there was a chance it was possible.

All in all a very nice looking set, well done.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 January 2022, 00:28:59 by Banned »

Offline Banned

« Reply #189 on: Tue, 18 January 2022, 00:29:09 »
Two new renders have been added!

Offline Extra-Cwispy

« Reply #190 on: Tue, 18 January 2022, 12:22:10 »
I was all in before, but those alt alphas are a fantastic edition! Will definitely by buying all kits when this goes live!

GLWIC!

P.S. You're Interest Form link might need to be updated to include the new kits!

Offline Banned

« Reply #191 on: Tue, 18 January 2022, 20:22:02 »
I was all in before, but those alt alphas are a fantastic edition! Will definitely by buying all kits when this goes live!

GLWIC!

P.S. You're Interest Form link might need to be updated to include the new kits!

Thanks! IC form is updated  :thumb:

Offline darthcapn

« Reply #192 on: Tue, 18 January 2022, 20:25:36 »
I don't know if it is popular enough, but would it be possible to add an icon mods kit. All the sets with an alpha only kit creates an extra set of alphas which are never put to use.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Praxis | Portal | Frog F13 | Vega | Sat75 | F2-84 | Iron 165 | KFE CE | Spring | Pandora | Mr Suit | MGA | Jelly Epoch

Dolice | Glare | Vmax chyuu | W1-AT | Hoshizora | iron 160 | Nazaré | Tomo

Offline whee74

« Reply #193 on: Fri, 21 January 2022, 14:24:01 »
I dig the whole set. looking really nice in that dark color. also looks....tasty?

Offline menuhin

« Reply #194 on: Tue, 25 January 2022, 06:57:02 »
Can OP cook up a more detailed color comparison like this one?

More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline HungHingDaiLo

• 無間道
« Reply #195 on: Tue, 25 January 2022, 23:53:06 »

I'll help a bit

Offline DaaDaa

« Reply #196 on: Wed, 26 January 2022, 00:30:58 »
very mildly interesting.
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 January 2022, 10:05:40 by DaaDaa »
piggy60 red upgraded PVD w/ GMK umka zaku | tiramisuit w/ GMK noire JWK silk emerald | mr.suit black/chrome glossy chamfers w/ GMK minimal cow POM stem | jelly epoch w/ SA oblivion zaku | mode80 deco w/ gmk boneyard alpaca | mode 80 imperial with ePBT origami alpaca| MODE80 viridian /w CRP boba LT | RAMA thermal kuro w/ GMK muted 2 pewter | BBox60 C64 wih marshmellows and c64 keycaps | MODE Sonnet green /w MW voynich gateron ink box pink

Offline menuhin

« Reply #197 on: Wed, 26 January 2022, 01:53:44 »
More

I'll help a bit
Show Image

Thx Tony!
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline HungHingDaiLo

• 無間道
« Reply #198 on: Wed, 26 January 2022, 07:15:01 »
Thx Tony!

No prob, Mister Cactuar.
Please have interest on my upcoming set as well  :)

Offline Banned

Re: [IC] GMK Maroon | GB March 28th!
« Reply #199 on: Thu, 10 March 2022, 20:22:10 »
Hey everyone! GB date has been announced! Maroon will be entering GB on 3/28/22!

Also, Hibi collab should be coming soon now that I have a GB date   ;D