Author Topic: [IC] Satisfaction 75 - 75% w/ OLED and Knob (4/25 UPDATE - 5/6 GB START)  (Read 130714 times)

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
Re: [IC] Satisfaction 75 - 75% Keyboard w/ OLED Screen and Rotary Encoder
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 19:06:31 »
Great design. Would love to see and try out the prototype at the next Boston meetup!

Edit: Is the knob be fully programmable via QMK as well?
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 January 2019, 19:10:06 by otanishock »

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #51 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 19:14:02 »
This board has my satisfaction of both design and hardware specs  :eek:.

Would it be an option for a custom (brass/alu?) badge instead of an OLED screen? Don't get me wrong, I would love to have the ability to customise the screen but concern its replaceability.

I'm not a hardware guy, but to have a real-time clock, I assume you have to have the battery (like CR2032), right?

Have you considered the usb port cutout being tighter?

Thank you :)

A badge could be an option, I guess. I wasn't planning on it, so I think OLED is the way to go.

In terms of replacability, the OLED screen is a $2 component with 4 leads. Its quite easy to desolder and put in a new one. I wouldn't be so worried about it.

There is a battery - it's a CR1025.

The USB port could be tighter if it extruded from the PCB. But I really wanted the port to be deep, as if a cannon could come out of it, following the pirate ship theme.

That could be an option. I would probably buy both, the standard one wtih OLED and the extra brass badge, especially if there would be custom engrave on it! :)

Offline upas

« Reply #52 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 20:06:03 »
Great design. Would love to see and try out the prototype at the next Boston meetup!

It will be at the next Boston meet up :)

The knob will be fully programmable in QMK. The default behavior for the button will be configurable in VIA.

Offline upas

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 20:07:25 »
This is one of those boards that could be truly amazing.. The fine tuned things like the logo and the rotary knobs are going to make it or break it for me.. Will there be more iterations of prototyping? Will you be prototyping the knobs?

The Cannon logo is going to stay - unfortunately that's something I'm not willing to take off, and I think it's subtle enough to not be a big deal. It's not an audacious branding like some of the customs I've seen. On top of that, I think it works well with the design of the board. I can elaborate if pressed.

I will continue to iterate until I think the design is perfect. I've purchased a ton of Knobs to see which ones work best, and will also likely prototype some custom knobs.
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 January 2019, 20:26:31 by upas »

Offline Walkerstop

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 20:40:14 »
This looks amazing, I love it!

Offline vikipedeer

« Reply #55 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 20:55:01 »
good god the 75% I have been looking for
naiseeee
Current board:KBD75V2, Whitefox, Time TKL

say yes to bacon overlord

Offline kokugatsu

« Reply #56 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 21:01:59 »
looking forward to seeing more prototypes

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 21:07:01 »
So in! Great work upas!

Clock/screen is a killer app for me. Rotary knob is a killer app for me too.

The little canon logo is gorgeous. I have a semi.

Would it be possible to program the rotary knob to be linked to pageup/pagedn depending on the direction of rotation? That'd be so cool and precise way to move up/down when browsing long documents/data sets (which I do a lot of personally, sadly - with both hands on keyboard, it's a pain moving right hand back to mouse scroll wheel).
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 January 2019, 21:17:42 by mrpetrov »

Offline equalunique

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 21:51:30 »
That's gorgeous. I probably cant afford it but damn that's the endgame I've been dreaming of.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Offline upas

« Reply #59 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 22:00:11 »
So in! Great work upas!

Clock/screen is a killer app for me. Rotary knob is a killer app for me too.

The little canon logo is gorgeous. I have a semi.

Would it be possible to program the rotary knob to be linked to pageup/pagedn depending on the direction of rotation? That'd be so cool and precise way to move up/down when browsing long documents/data sets (which I do a lot of personally, sadly - with both hands on keyboard, it's a pain moving right hand back to mouse scroll wheel).

I've spent some of yesterday and today writing code for the knob.

Fn+Knob press changes the knob mode

Here are the modes and their behaviors:
Abbreviation - Full name - Clockwise/Counterclockwise/Press
VOL - Volume - Volume Up/Down/Mute
MED - Media - Next Track/Previous Track/PlayPause
SCR - Scroll - Mouse Wheel Down/Mouse Wheel Up/Mouse Wheel Press
BRT - Brightness - Brightness Up/Brightness Down/Nothing
BKL - Backlight - Backlight Intensity Up/Down/Toggle breathing
CLK - Clock Set - Increase selected number (hour or minute)/Decrease selected number (hour or minute)/Toggle hour or minute (Clock gets saved when you leave this mode)

Offline Rensuya

• Blue is my spirit animal
    • Link to the discord!
« Reply #61 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 22:55:14 »
Looks great! Only thing I don't care for is the cannon. Hope to possibly see a blue/grey color, if so I'll be in for one even if the cannon stays. 

Also, +1 for the screen not always being lit up. Maybe a sleep mode  :thumb:

Offline Dovan1405

« Reply #62 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 23:24:11 »
I would like for at least a wkl blocker but it seems rather difficult to achieve
Ill go with the 1.5,1.5,7,1.5,1.5

Overall this board is drop dead gorgeous. That weight look is stunning and clean as well please keep it that way :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ian13

« Reply #63 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 23:57:04 »
This looks good! Especially with ~400usd price. What is the front height of the board?

Offline gnhuy91

« Reply #64 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 23:58:53 »
awesome design! will there be a WKL option?
also i kinda want to opt out for OLED and slab a brass tag on its place

Offline Dovan1405

« Reply #65 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 01:25:22 »
I didnt mention these colours in my form but something off white creamish will be nice. Or olive green and rose gold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #66 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 01:28:39 »
video demonstration and full tutorial pls

i have no idea what the implementation of this is, and the last time something like this was tried it tanked horribly
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline RETURNISO

• I do get excited about keyboard stuff..
« Reply #67 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 07:23:31 »
Wow, this is indeed a satisfaction Keyboard :eek:

Got all of the them VERY Satisfying features  ^-^

75% layout ( best workstation layout )
V.I.A
Clean design  :thumb:
OLED Screen ( YEEES ) Layer indication at is best!!
The Knob ( really nice for timeline scroll in editing software ) + The STD features

I would not mind paying a premium if the OLED and Knob wheel is executed well.

+1 ISO enabled PCB ( I don't think it's a "cheeeese plate" just by adding ISO enter and split left shift to the PCB )
+1 ISO Didicated plate ( To avoid the universal layouts and ANSI users frustrattion )  :))

Looking at the the knob rotator on the render, is it not slightly a little too big to interfere with print screen on your fingers when "knobing the wheel" ?

On the proto, the OLED is countersunk, any plans for a tinted glass insert?

Really nice work and great features, definitely in, if you add ISO  :cool:
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 January 2019, 07:26:01 by RETURNISO »

Offline ptiede

« Reply #68 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 07:27:20 »
Must buy for me. I love this

Offline upas

« Reply #69 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 09:21:32 »

i have no idea what the implementation of this is, and the last time something like this was tried it tanked horribly

Still definitely a work in progress. Sorry for the weird vertical video, I'm new to YouTube and don't know how to fix it:

Offline RETURNISO

• I do get excited about keyboard stuff..
« Reply #70 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 09:28:38 »

Still definitely a work in progress. Sorry for the weird vertical video, I'm new to YouTube and don't know how to fix it:

Nice 👌 just quick, maybe when in the brightness settings, a press could choose screen color mode? Win have a night light mode.

Offline upas

« Reply #71 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 09:32:28 »
Also here are some typing sounds. I made this video on my webcam:

Shoutout Chris Swires for index finger spacebar.

Offline dyrdevil

« Reply #72 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 12:07:41 »
This is pretty darn cool. Congrats!

A couple questions, sorry for my lack of knowledge about something like this:

1) are the knob functions editable/programmable at all by the end user?
2) is it possible to have a knob with a larger/slower "bump" when rotating?  During the media selection setting, it seems it'd be easy to have more "bumps" than you want, possible decreasing that satisfaction

I'm sure you know this, but it seems to me that this board will live and die on how irresistible the knob and OLED screen are.  I'd say, take whatever time you need to get those things as right as possible, otherwise it might seem a bit gimmicky. 

I apologize if I seem condescending at all - I think this is one of the coolest things I've seen!

Offline upas

« Reply #73 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 12:34:31 »

2) is it possible to have a knob with a larger/slower "bump" when rotating?  During the media selection setting, it seems it'd be easy to have more "bumps" than you want, possible decreasing that satisfaction

I'm sure you know this, but it seems to me that this board will live and die on how irresistible the knob and OLED screen are.  I'd say, take whatever time you need to get those things as right as possible, otherwise it might seem a bit gimmicky. 

I apologize if I seem condescending at all - I think this is one of the coolest things I've seen!

1) A custom mode sounds pretty cool - I wonder if I can get that supported in VIA
2) This is something that was mentioned to me in discord. QMK doesn't support that right now, but I think I can absolutely implement something like that. At the very least, we'll be able to change the number of "bumps" per setting. What would really be cool would be an acceleration mode - the more you turn the faster you go. But that's pretty difficult to implement :)

I totally agree with you about the OLED and Knob needing to be extremely satisfying. I'm open to all suggestions to increase the satisfaction.

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #74 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 12:57:24 »
Any possibility of a rotary encoder that is silent?

Offline oh_chesteroni

« Reply #75 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 13:07:19 »

1) A custom mode sounds pretty cool - I wonder if I can get that supported in VIA
2) This is something that was mentioned to me in discord. QMK doesn't support that right now, but I think I can absolutely implement something like that. At the very least, we'll be able to change the number of "bumps" per setting. What would really be cool would be an acceleration mode - the more you turn the faster you go. But that's pretty difficult to implement :)

I totally agree with you about the OLED and Knob needing to be extremely satisfying. I'm open to all suggestions to increase the satisfaction.

I assumed the rotary functions could be programmed to anything that is supported by qmk? Your comment, upas, seems to suggest the knob will only have the features you have already mentioned. Or were you only referring to custom programmability through VIA by the end user?

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #76 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 14:38:30 »
In for one, I'd only use the "weel" for volume control, but I like it :)

Offline Poesjuh

[IC] Satisfaction 75 - 75% Keyboard w/ OLED Screen and Rotary Encoder
« Reply #77 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 15:41:52 »
Suggestion for brightness click mode; activate or deactivate night mode (windows flux).

And for the scroll wheel function, click to swap between vertical and horizontal scrolling.

Offline upas

« Reply #78 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 15:50:53 »
Any possibility of a rotary encoder that is silent?

If you find a part, then you can totally put a silent rotary encoder in. The one provided with the kit will not be silent.
This is for my sanity :) More options = more difficult fulfillment.

I assumed the rotary functions could be programmed to anything that is supported by qmk? Your comment, upas, seems to suggest the knob will only have the features you have already mentioned. Or were you only referring to custom programmability through VIA by the end user?

The firmware for the keyboard is QMK. You can always change how the encoder works if you write the code in QMK.
A lot of people don't want to learn how to do that, and that's what VIA is for.

If you know C and can hack around QMK, anything is possible.

Offline vpr

« Reply #79 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 16:11:31 »

Possible to make the OLED screen show the volume percentage as it's being changed? Maybe have the OLED screen switch to a meter w/ percentage then switch back after a few seconds of inactivity? Would be nice if I have music or something playing, monitors have turned off due to inactivity and I just want to adjust the volume. Could just turn the knob and look at the OLED screen instead of waking the monitors.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #80 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 16:38:28 »

Can the OLED light be white as well?

Offline upas

« Reply #81 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 17:00:11 »
Possible to make the OLED screen show the volume percentage as it's being changed? Maybe have the OLED screen switch to a meter w/ percentage then switch back after a few seconds of inactivity? Would be nice if I have music or something playing, monitors have turned off due to inactivity and I just want to adjust the volume. Could just turn the knob and look at the OLED screen instead of waking the monitors.

In order to do this, we'd have to have custom software running on the computer. There are only three pieces of information sent to keyboards without extra software - those are Caps Lock state, Num lock state, and Scroll Lock state.
As such, this isn't something I plan on adding, but nothing is preventing someone else from writing the integration.

Can the OLED light be white as well?

Yep! There will be 2 options for OLED - white and blue.
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 January 2019, 17:02:30 by upas »

Offline Pennywise359

« Reply #82 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 20:35:07 »
I'd love to have the knob on the left, so I won't have to take my hand off the mouse.

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #83 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 06:14:18 »
Wow this is a instant buy for me, so cool.

Offline fcnchuck

« Reply #84 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 10:32:23 »
Great work. Love seeing more 75% coming into the light

Offline mrkantz

« Reply #85 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 10:44:18 »
This is definitely a buy for me.

Offline booleanjulien

« Reply #86 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 11:34:57 »
I'd love to have the knob on the left, so I won't have to take my hand off the mouse.

Seems like it's too late for this, but this sounds amazing to me.

Offline Grumms

« Reply #87 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 12:40:42 »
Fantastic work. Very unique! Definitely will be in on this.

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #88 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 13:28:25 »
I'd like a mode where the wheel operates volume and pushing it down toggles mute for the microphone, would be great for games with voice comms, streaming, or just skype calls for work.

Offline farmisen

« Reply #89 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 16:18:54 »
I'd like a mode where the wheel operates volume and pushing it down toggles mute for the microphone, would be great for games with voice comms, streaming, or just skype calls for work.

+1

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #90 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 16:20:35 »

+1

Is there an HID scancode that toggles microphone mute? Might have to be something you do on the OS side.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline Zytyx

« Reply #91 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 17:39:12 »
As long as the gb will be easy to get into I'm down for 2! Love all the features present.

Offline NinjaSquirrel21

« Reply #92 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 19:03:21 »
I am very interested in this. The early pics look great. Watching the thread.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline tunadesu

« Reply #93 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 19:48:23 »

The knob will be fully programmable in QMK. The default behavior for the button will be configurable in VIA.

Boston meetup!? Nice. When is that do you know? I can't miss this

Offline alphabirth

« Reply #94 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 15:04:25 »
Unh... This is so beautiful!  I wish I had money right now, but alas, I'll have to sit this one out.  Good luck getting to GB!

Offline Manabuns

« Reply #95 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 19:31:58 »
Looks amazing! Looking forward to seeing how this gb turns out

Offline Sleepy_Badger

« Reply #96 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 20:16:47 »
hey im really liking this concept. Do you have a ballpark idea on the cost? I plan to enter quite a few things this spring so just trying to see what my budget is and what not, but dope design cant wait to own it hopefully  ;D

Offline upas

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 21:59:57 »

+1

Is there an HID scancode that toggles microphone mute? Might have to be something you do on the OS side.

Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, there isnt' a default code for microphone mute or anything like that. You'd have to setup a hotkey.
I don't think those will be configurable - my plan right now is that there will be two custom encoder modes you can configure in VIA, and you can also set your default encoder mode in VIA.

Using the custom modes, you could make the press send whatever you want.

I still want a good press behavior for both the scrolling and brightness modes - nothing feasible has come up yet.

Boston meetup!? Nice. When is that do you know? I can't miss this

I'm supposed to be planning that as well! I posted an IC, please fill it out before February!
https://goo.gl/forms/fcHW2M0YqNaY3VDs2

hey im really liking this concept. Do you have a ballpark idea on the cost? I plan to enter quite a few things this spring so just trying to see what my budget is and what not, but dope design cant wait to own it hopefully  ;D

The cost will be $400 max. Not sure about specifics any further than that.

Offline upas

« Reply #98 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 22:01:31 »
Here's a quick demo of the backlight being changed by the rotary encoder, on my development board:

Offline AgonizedFish

« Reply #99 on: Wed, 23 January 2019, 09:12:44 »
Any plans for a polycarb version? Definitely in either way, this board looks amazing!