Author Topic: DO YOU WATCH TV?  (Read 36691 times)

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
Re: DO YOU WATCH TV?
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 04:42:32 »
actually, since the Football World Cup is on (more like EU Cup 2018 now though), I'm watching TV again... last time was the last Olympic games ;)

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #51 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 07:16:10 »
Been getting into Monk lately. I'd seen an episode here and there when it was airing, but never really got into it then.
Man was I missing out, what a great show.

Holy **** that is a blast from the past

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 07:51:44 »
Been getting into Monk lately. I'd seen an episode here and there when it was airing, but never really got into it then.

Monk..

i remember that.. hrrrmmm....

8 season 150gb.. 

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 08:32:37 »

Monk..

8 season 150gb.. 

Pretty sure when i watches it, it was measured in airwaves.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #54 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 09:52:15 »

Monk..

8 season 150gb.. 

When Monk first started I was still placing my tinfoil hat on the television set. Real talk.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #55 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 09:57:47 »

Monk..

8 season 150gb.. 

When Monk first started I was still placing my tinfoil hat on the television set. Real talk.

Did you also beat your television to correct its poor performance?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #56 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 10:04:49 »

Monk..

8 season 150gb.. 

Before Zoolander? I was all over that TV.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #57 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 10:06:31 »
I am so ready for Ozark season 2

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #58 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 15:01:55 »

Monk..

8 season 150gb.. 

back when hitting children and electronics corrected the behavior

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 15:28:45 »
Lately just random episodes of DS9

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #61 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 15:57:33 »

Offline Kavik

« Reply #62 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 19:23:41 »

I've been watching through DS9 on Hulu for the past few months after having finished TNG. So far, I have remembered much more of DS9 than TNG from when they were on the air. As much as I hate to admit it, DS9 is a better show. TNG could have been a little better, but it never really followed up on cool threads in the storyline or characters; each episode is too independent from the others.

I'm not looking forward to watching Voyager or Enterprise when I'm done with DS9. I remember hating those when they were on the air.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #63 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 20:10:53 »

I've been watching through DS9 on Hulu for the past few months after having finished TNG. So far, I have remembered much more of DS9 than TNG from when they were on the air. As much as I hate to admit it, DS9 is a better show. TNG could have been a little better, but it never really followed up on cool threads in the storyline or characters; each episode is too independent from the others.

I'm not looking forward to watching Voyager or Enterprise when I'm done with DS9. I remember hating those when they were on the air.

DS9 is a more audience friendly show, because they wanted it to connect better with the Human beings of today. So the behaviors and characters were relatable to the general pettiness in our dire world.

TNG was mostly forward looking, and delved into the behaviors of future humans mostly removed from want and need. They also developed the characters to approach GOD in a realistic fashion.

Voyager... idk... it just felt off.. maybe Tp4 = male chauvinist... but the whole atmosphere was just .. mmmm..  it did not make you want to be there.  The plot which kept them so far away didn't make sense, they could've easily gotten back in a myriad of ways which they did not take for flimsy reason.. I don't wan to spoil it.. so I will not go into details.

Enterprise.. had Tpol.. so.. no complaints there.... buh..... the humanity was even stronger in enterprise, whereas the sci-fi was somewhat neglected..  But then again, it was suppose to be a prequel..  I guess perhaps that's fine..

The latest Discovery.. I just wanted to die..  I h8ed every moment of it.. 

Orville is more Star Trek, then ST-Discovery..

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #64 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 20:12:21 »
w

I'm just barely skimming the surface here.. Mind you I only know three Klingon words (petaQ, Qapla', mahk-cha).

What I liked most about TNG was the painted worlds, the introduction of touch screen devices (1989!--I was a TOS baby. My folks watched the tapes A LOT), and Beverly Crusher.

I appreciated Voyager for the pure scrappiness of the crew (with a healthy amount of disbelief), completely uncharted madness, neat new gadgets, Tom and Harry's holodeck shenanigans, and the deep dive into Borg operations.

Going into DS9 I had my doubts (where's the starship?!) but the constant inflection on family values, Bajoran beliefs, Morn, Rom, and overall scappiness of everyone aboard DS9 kept me on my toes. Did I mention Morn? There is no DS9 without Morn.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #65 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 01:02:58 »

DS9 is a more audience friendly show, because they wanted it to connect better with the Human beings of today. So the behaviors and characters were relatable to the general pettiness in our dire world.

TNG was mostly forward looking, and delved into the behaviors of future humans mostly removed from want and need. They also developed the characters to approach GOD in a realistic fashion.

Voyager... idk... it just felt off.. maybe Tp4 = male chauvinist... but the whole atmosphere was just .. mmmm..  it did not make you want to be there.  The plot which kept them so far away didn't make sense, they could've easily gotten back in a myriad of ways which they did not take for flimsy reason.. I don't wan to spoil it.. so I will not go into details.

Enterprise.. had Tpol.. so.. no complaints there.... buh..... the humanity was even stronger in enterprise, whereas the sci-fi was somewhat neglected..  But then again, it was suppose to be a prequel..  I guess perhaps that's fine..

The latest Discovery.. I just wanted to die..  I h8ed every moment of it.. 

Orville is more Star Trek, then ST-Discovery..

I think TNG had better premises for episodes; my gripe is that there was little to no exploration into any of the characters except Data and Worf. Riker had to vaporize that woman assassin in one 'sode and he's just a little bummed at the end, but it doesn't affect him at all as a person going forward. Picard lives an entire lifetime on another planet as a different person in the span of a few minutes and it only gets a passing reference in another episode. Heck, he's tortured by Cardassians and becomes Borg at one point, but it barely affects him. The characters in TNG are really great, but they didn't get the attention they deserved.

Some of the cool non-character related ideas also didn't get explored very thoroughly either. It feels like, "Hey, here's this really weird thing/concept. Let's just scratch the surface and never revisit it." I can't think of a specific example at the moment unfortunately.

I honestly don't remember enough specifics from Voyager to know why I hate it, except that all the characters seem like discount versions of characters from the other series. Haha, funny that you mention the male-chauvinist thing; my mom (who is a big DS9 fan and hated Voyager too) expressly did not like that the captain was a woman, as a woman herself. Whatever, I'll give it a chance when I get to it.

w

I'm just barely skimming the surface here.. Mind you I only know three Klingon words (petaQ, Qapla', mahk-cha).

What I liked most about TNG was the painted worlds, the introduction of touch screen devices (1989!--I was a TOS baby. My folks watched the tapes A LOT), and Beverly Crusher.

I appreciated Voyager for the pure scrappiness of the crew (with a healthy amount of disbelief), completely uncharted madness, neat new gadgets, Tom and Harry's holodeck shenanigans, and the deep dive into Borg operations.

Going into DS9 I had my doubts (where's the starship?!) but the constant inflection on family values, Bajoran beliefs, Morn, Rom, and overall scappiness of everyone aboard DS9 kept me on my toes. Did I mention Morn? There is no DS9 without Morn.

Morn is the best.

TOS elicits a certain feeling in me. It came on at 10:00 or 11:00 PM in the summer of '93 or '94, so I'd stay up a little late to watch it in my brother's room (he had his own TV!). I only remember The Trouble with Tribbles episode though; nothing else specific sticks out. I'm afraid watching through it will dilute or destroy the fond feeling I have for it.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #66 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 07:31:41 »

I think TNG had better premises for episodes; my gripe is that there was little to no exploration into any of the characters except Data and Worf. Riker had to vaporize that woman assassin in one 'sode and he's just a little bummed at the end, but it doesn't affect him at all as a person going forward. Picard lives an entire lifetime on another planet as a different person in the span of a few minutes and it only gets a passing reference in another episode. Heck, he's tortured by Cardassians and becomes Borg at one point, but it barely affects him. The characters in TNG are really great, but they didn't get the attention they deserved.

Some of the cool non-character related ideas also didn't get explored very thoroughly either. It feels like, "Hey, here's this really weird thing/concept. Let's just scratch the surface and never revisit it." I can't think of a specific example at the moment unfortunately.

I honestly don't remember enough specifics from Voyager to know why I hate it, except that all the characters seem like discount versions of characters from the other series. Haha, funny that you mention the male-chauvinist thing; my mom (who is a big DS9 fan and hated Voyager too) expressly did not like that the captain was a woman, as a woman herself. Whatever, I'll give it a chance when I get to it.

I was quite ok with the brief treatment of characters, even post -traumatic- events.

It's believable from the Sci-Fi angle, in that they could fix most human neuro-physio and neuro-psycho problems given the thousand years of advancement in those fields.

But, overall, EVEN IF they went into more detail on the big traumatic elements for the characters, it would just be human story-telling..  which could never amount to anything besides the generic drama.

For example, picard lives another life.. he comes out, catatonic, he can't see the world as he once did, he cries at every little moment about his imaginary lost wife and children.

Ok, that might be believable in writing, but is that realistic in the context of an Advanced Human Species..

This isn't some small town hick abducted by aliens,  this is a Top Graduate, Battle Tested, Battle Hardened, Trained Military Professional FROM THE FUTURE, --not a production slave generated by 2018 Public Education..

Human stories are Not Interesting,  and that's precisely what makes sci-fi and Trek good in general. They divert the plot AWAY from the Crass Adventures of Monkeys..

If drama and the human experience is what someone is looking for, There's always Maury and Jerry Springer, which epitomizes the dissection of the People Element.. We remove all refinement of man over the years, what you are left with is the PULP of humanity, nakedly bare all in these shows.  This is what it means to be a human animal..   But we're trying to fix this.. 

Please upload Tp4 to Borg Cube.. Tp4 requests a standard 1.5 meter by 2 meter charging station.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #67 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 11:31:03 »

TOS elicits a certain feeling in me. It came on at 10:00 or 11:00 PM in the summer of '93 or '94, so I'd stay up a little late to watch it in my brother's room (he had his own TV!). I only remember The Trouble with Tribbles episode though; nothing else specific sticks out. I'm afraid watching through it will dilute or destroy the fond feeling I have for it.

As far as I know, TOS is the only Star Trek to feature a reaccuring fight tune. It's hard for me to say which I remember more: the tune that started during the start of almost every skirmish, or the on planet sets with rocks in them. Loved the DS9 The Trouble with Tribbles tribute episode. Agreed, Morn is the best.

Offline haanuman

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 03:46:06 »
Since most of the things are now available online I usually watch things on the GO. Except tournaments or I can say World Cup.

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 18 July 2018, 09:32:12 »
Since I last posted I've watched two seasons of Brockmire. I don't know anything about baseball but it was still hilarious.

Watched season 2 of GLOW. Thought that was very good as well. I'm a sucker for wrestling though so your mileage may vary.

Watched Cobra Kai, which was incredible.

Now half way through season 2 of Atlanta. Not a Daniel Glover fan at all, turned it off last year cos he was getting on my nerves, but the writing is good and there's a lot more variety to it than I was initially expecting.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #70 on: Wed, 18 July 2018, 10:10:19 »

As far as I know, TOS is the only Star Trek to feature a reaccuring fight tune. It's hard for me to say which I remember more: the tune that started during the start of almost every skirmish, or the on planet sets with rocks in them. Loved the DS9 The Trouble with Tribbles tribute episode. Agreed, Morn is the best.

IDK... Tp4 would say Quark is the Best.. 

Morn is higher for hipster/ anti-mainstream..

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 18 July 2018, 12:32:08 »

IDK... Tp4 would say Quark is the Best.. 

Morn is higher for hipster/ anti-mainstream..

Morn is higher than Quark that's for sure.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #72 on: Wed, 18 July 2018, 19:10:12 »
One day, we'll have the holodeck.. One day..

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 14:14:33 »
No.

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #74 on: Wed, 19 September 2018, 10:18:51 »
I don't watch cable TV, mostly because of ads, nothing wrong with turning your brain off for a bit. But like most; I do stream stuff sometimes and that's pretty similar these days. Need to get on to the second season of West World, but I haven't reupped on HBO and have been kinda lazy about it.

Generally, I like sci fi though

Offline yuppie

« Reply #75 on: Wed, 19 September 2018, 11:41:11 »
I try to avoid TV as much as possible. Usually lower production, worse writing and not as good as movies. HBO's Curb Your Enthusiasm is a classic, however.
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #76 on: Wed, 19 September 2018, 14:36:37 »
I try to avoid TV as much as possible. Usually lower production, worse writing and not as good as movies. HBO's Curb Your Enthusiasm is a classic, however.

Movies have been kind of questionable these days also

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #77 on: Wed, 19 September 2018, 14:52:51 »

I'd say recently it's been the exact opposite. TV is in a golden age, while movies keep churning out the same crap over and over.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 20 September 2018, 06:13:44 »

I'd say recently it's been the exact opposite. TV is in a golden age, while movies keep churning out the same crap over and over.
I'd have to agree with this.
The amount of awesome shows out right now is pretty good compared to what it has been.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 20 September 2018, 07:26:21 »

I'd have to agree with this.
The amount of awesome shows out right now is pretty good compared to what it has been.

Heck no,  where's all the startrek/ babylon 5/ andromeda/ battlestar/ FIREFLY

Humanity has regressed !!

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 20 September 2018, 08:28:42 »

Show Image

There's more to life than sci-fi tp4. :D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #81 on: Thu, 20 September 2018, 10:43:47 »

Show Image

There's more to life than sci-fi tp4. :D

Tp4 @ Maximum Disagree.. !!
Am not one who'z mired in the past or the present.

The pursuit of Sci-fi is the covet of Future itself.

Body in the present, while the Mind witnesses salvation.

Offline iri

« Reply #82 on: Tue, 25 September 2018, 11:19:34 »
No.

Both Russian and British TV are terrible besides the TV shows on the latter, and I don't need a TV to watch them.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #83 on: Tue, 25 September 2018, 15:09:23 »
I have got addicted to 8 out of 10 cats does Countdown ... (which I view on Youtube because I'm not in the UK)
The competition is not genius — makes me feel better about my own abilities.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #84 on: Wed, 26 September 2018, 08:22:33 »
I have got addicted to 8 out of 10 cats does Countdown ... (which I view on Youtube because I'm not in the UK)

I feel like even their worst eediot is more refined than our 'murican variety..

Or are they all just normal people acting funny for the camera..

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #85 on: Thu, 27 September 2018, 10:06:21 »

I feel like even their worst eediot is more refined than our 'murican variety..

Or are they all just normal people acting funny for the camera..

You only say that because of the accents

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #86 on: Thu, 27 September 2018, 14:38:18 »

You only say that because of the accents

Well, I can't get to 575 in 30 seconds is my point..

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #87 on: Thu, 27 September 2018, 17:15:02 »
Anyone watch QI? It's kind of like that 10 cats show. Not quite as good since Fry decided to leave, but still very good.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #88 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 03:43:00 »
I have watched quite a lot QI. I've got one of the BBC channels which shows lots of old and new episodes.'

BTW. I would like to meet Sandy Toksvig only so that I could tell her that her last name reads "Limber like a fool" in Swedish.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #89 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 03:47:30 »
BTW. I would like to meet Sandy Toksvig only so that I could tell her that her last name reads "Limber like a fool" in Swedish.

I'd be willing to bet she already knows that and it's a planned General Ignorance question. But you could be in the audience if you send in a letter!

Offline quadcube

« Reply #90 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 10:12:12 »
nope, never liked watching TV from young

Offline mizzoperator

• "This can't be good for me, but I feel great!"
    • Milk Time: The Mizz Domain
« Reply #91 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 13:23:57 »
I used to watch television considerably when I was but a wee lass, but the internet has since replaced television pretty much entirely for me.
Not only can I CHOOSE what to watch, but I have a universal internet bill instead of bills for exclusive channels and other nonsense!
It's absolutely amazing! It's just a shame that there's now a streaming service war and the whole cycle repeats. Yar har fiddly dee, if you know what I mean.
Linears are for linear people. No offense if you use linears.
I prefer tactile switches, I'm reluctantly using the AULA SI-859 and my pronouns are she/her.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #92 on: Tue, 08 October 2019, 05:37:55 »
DO YOU WATCH TELEVISION? I WATCH IT SOMETIMES. WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE SHOWS?

yes

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #93 on: Tue, 08 October 2019, 08:23:46 »
No
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #94 on: Thu, 10 October 2019, 17:36:17 »
I don’t watch TV.

I prefer to select the entertainment I want to enjoy myself, rather then just being spoon-fed a bunch of nonsense and drama. And since I care about everything in the world more than politics, celebrities, and news of school shootings, I don’t watch the news either. I dont care about celebrities! I barely care about myself! How am I gonna find the time to care about others?

I get all the entertainment and information I could want from the Internet.

Television is obsolete. The only people who still consume TV as their primary form of entertainment and News and the ones who don’t know how to use the internet, or are just plain lazy.

Offline jacethesaltsculptor

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #95 on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 13:58:14 »
I did when I was younger, but then moved into books and gaming, and movies every so often.

I will however binge a show on netflix every other blue moon.

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline iri

« Reply #96 on: Tue, 31 December 2019, 05:59:16 »
TIL Russia has Netflix.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline jacethesaltsculptor

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #97 on: Tue, 31 December 2019, 09:10:36 »
TIL Russia has Netflix.

I should be more honest, I've switched my location, I'm not in Russia, at least anymore. They do have access to Netflix via VPN though, and people there use it with some frequency if they aren't pirating. (I was just there over the summer, beautiful cities.)

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline Myteethfeelweird

« Reply #98 on: Sun, 12 January 2020, 23:11:07 »
I only watch actual television for any weather emergencies. I don't know why I subscribe to cable, really.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #99 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 12:30:17 »
I hardly ever watch tv