Author Topic: Talking Unicomp into making a 122 ANSI keyboard or Unsaver ANSI?  (Read 2345 times)

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
I know Unicomp has it's ups and downs, but since they announced that new 122, I have been thinking a lot.
Why won't they actually make an ANSI 122?  They already have the ISO.  Plenty of them.
I know if they had an ANSI model, they should get an impressive boost in sales from just having that.  I know a lot of people have converted them to ANSI, why not Unicomp themselves?
This also could lead to an Unsaver ANSI layout by them.  I am sure people would want that over ISO.
I think this idea could work, at least with the 122.
Does it take an army of enthusiasts to tell them what people are asking for?  Or am I the only one that would be interested in a 122 if it were ANSI?
Wouldn't it just take a few different keys and reprogramming to make it actually happen?  Or is there something I am overlooking?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Talking Unicomp into making a 122 ANSI keyboard or Unsaver ANSI?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 12:35:45 »
Unicomp has been teasing that they're working on a new spacesaver or SSK for ages. I think that the Red Alert keycaps and Geekhack keycaps took a year more than mkawa was expecting. Getting them to do new products seems to be very difficult.

I'm not 100% sure how the PCB works but I do know that Fohat.digs has had this great guide on converting F122's to ANSI.

I picked up a 122 last year and it was *far* too big for my uses. I'm no longer interested in using anything larger than a TKL board. I just don't have the space for it at home unfortunately. Still a cool idea to see an ANSI Unsaver though.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 12:39:03 »
Unicomp has been teasing that they're working on a new spacesaver or SSK for ages. I think that the Red Alert keycaps and Geekhack keycaps took a year more than mkawa was expecting. Getting them to do new products seems to be very difficult.

I'm not 100% sure how the PCB works but I do know that Fohat.digs has had this great guide on converting F122's to ANSI.

I picked up a 122 last year and it was *far* too big for my uses. I'm no longer interested in using anything larger than a TKL board. I just don't have the space for it at home unfortunately. Still a cool idea to see an ANSI Unsaver though.

Yes, and that is why I was thinking about this.  They already have the layout and hardware.  All they do is change a few keys and reprogram the controller for it.  I would think.  They could probably do that now with a bit of nudging.

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 16:51:11 »
I would be interested, though I wouldn't buy one for a few years at this point.  I would like to see ANSI with windows keys though I could live without them.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 21:00:35 »
They'll make you an ANSI 122 if you ask.  I think they said I could pick the 122 key board I wanted, then add four $10 customization fees.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 22:41:43 »
They'll make you an ANSI 122 if you ask.  I think they said I could pick the 122 key board I wanted, then add four $10 customization fees.

So essentially they are going to charge $40 more for the same keyboard with an ANSI layout.  That doesn't make too much sense to me when they can just have another model.  No thank you.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 03:07:43 »
I don't think you could talk them in to doing this.  People have been trying to coax a new SSK out of them for years!

Although if an ANSI 122 did appear, I might be tempted, despite my preference for downsizing my keyboards.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 19:00:31 »

I don't think you could talk them in to doing this.  People have been trying to coax a new SSK out of them for years!

Although if an ANSI 122 did appear, I might be tempted, despite my preference for downsizing my keyboards.

Being part of this site and downsizing doesn't work very well, lol.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 20:43:03 »
a new SSK would be amazing.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 00:11:55 »
a new SSK would be amazing.

+1

But I don't think any of us would believe it :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 18:21:22 »

they are going to charge $40 more for the same keyboard with an ANSI layout.

I suspect that it means some hand work set up by a human being rather than a factory machine just spitting out another same-old/same-old.

$40 per hour with a 1-hour minimum is not at all out of line for skilled labor these days.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 19:27:38 »

I suspect that it means some hand work set up by a human being rather than a factory machine just spitting out another same-old/same-old.

$40 per hour with a 1-hour minimum is not at all out of line for skilled labor these days.

Valid point.  Skilled labor certainly isn't cheap, even if there isn't a lot of labor involved.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 02:17:50 »

I was suggesting a new model from them, they could easily make, and people would buy.  They could do this and maybe charge $10 more for it as an actual new model.  If I were to buy a 122 anything, it would have to be with an ANSI layout.  That is the actual question.
I am sure a lot of folks here would agree they would rather have a 122 in ANSI over ISO.  They can do this.
It could be a limited edition coming out hmmmm, maybe April 1st?