Author Topic: Special Feeling  (Read 3241 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Special Feeling
« on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 09:49:59 »
Putting in freshly charged Bats into the gameboy, and sliding the spent ones into the charger..

267595-0

Offline Kavik

Re: Special Feeling
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 12:10:27 »
I thought TP4 had finally abandoned the lonely4ver life based on the title, but the post is actually quite the contrary.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 12:23:18 »
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 16:49:34 »
Looks well cared for. Nice.  :thumb:

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 03 May 2021, 21:16:45 »
Putting in freshly charged Bats into the gameboy, and sliding the spent ones into the charger..

Show Image

(Attachment Link)

Sweet does it have ips mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 13 May 2021, 23:11:21 »

Show Image

(Attachment Link)

All stock, thought long and hard about doing the ips mod, but decided against it because of the way the white color works.

Gameboy color doesn't have white, it has a light grey as the neutral base, but with the IPS screen, it translates to white, and that's really incorrect. It's way too bright and eye-strainy.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 14 May 2021, 19:24:56 »

Show Image

(Attachment Link)

All stock, thought long and hard about doing the ips mod, but decided against it because of the way the white color works.

Gameboy color doesn't have white, it has a light grey as the neutral base, but with the IPS screen, it translates to white, and that's really incorrect. It's way too bright and eye-strainy.

ah ok

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 19 May 2021, 12:00:02 »

Show Image

(Attachment Link)

ah ok

Partially inspired by this dredging up of the GBC I ordered a lot of two OG GBs and one GBC. I had never owned an OG GB and this motivated me to pick some up. They were listed as for parts. One seems to have a bad power switch and some corrosion on the battery terminals. That should be easy enough to fix. One worked perfectly but is missing the battery door. Both are missing screen covers (I should be able to get replacements). The GBC works perfectly other than the audio cuts in and out a bit, probably due to corrosion in the headphone jack. The GBC is the run-of-the-mill purple variant and is also missing the battery door so I'll probably upgrade and bling out the GBC (I have a bone stock atomic purple GBC from my youth) and one of the OG GBs once I have them all working.
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 May 2021, 17:34:00 by Maledicted »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 19 May 2021, 13:13:36 »

Partially inspired by this dredging up of the GBC I ordered a lot of two OG GBs and one GBC. I had never owned an OG GB and this motivated me to pick some up. They were listed as for parts. One seems to have a bad power switch and some corrosion on the battery terminals. That should be easy enough to fix. One worked perfectly but is missing the battery door. Both are missing screen covers (I should be able to get replacements). The GBC works perfectly other than the audio cuts in and out a bit, probably due to corrosion in the headphone jack. The GBC is the run-of-the-mill purple variant and is also missing the battery door so I'll probably upgrade and bling out the GBC (I have a bone stock atomic purple GBC from my youth) and one of the OG GBs once I have them all working.

An Adopted gameboy is a happy gameboy, gameboys need love,

You're gonna need a flash cart. 

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 19 May 2021, 17:36:59 »

An Adopted gameboy is a happy gameboy, gameboys need love,

You're gonna need a flash cart. 

Got any recommendations for which ones are good? I just have all of the GB/GBC Pokemon games between having had them new to Goodwill finds. I really need to try to dump all of the saves off of them if they even still have working batteries. The yellow version I tested with had a save on it still.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 19 May 2021, 18:32:49 »
Got any recommendations for which ones are good? I just have all of the GB/GBC Pokemon games between having had them new to Goodwill finds. I really need to try to dump all of the saves off of them if they even still have working batteries. The yellow version I tested with had a save on it still.

the only one that's not stupidly overpriced is the ezflash junior.  Saves are hit or miss, they're not guaranteed to work across flash carts. They should, but not guaranteed.

I'm thinking about getting those rechargable lithium AA batteries because they're higher voltage than the nimh AA rechargables.  I can't tell for sure, but as the flash cart has higher current draw than the standard carts,  I noticed that during medium battery, my tetris DX moves don't feel as swift.

Probably can't tell, not needed in other games which don't involve as much repetitive movement. 

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 19 May 2021, 19:42:10 »

the only one that's not stupidly overpriced is the ezflash junior.  Saves are hit or miss, they're not guaranteed to work across flash carts. They should, but not guaranteed.

I'm thinking about getting those rechargable lithium AA batteries because they're higher voltage than the nimh AA rechargables.  I can't tell for sure, but as the flash cart has higher current draw than the standard carts,  I noticed that during medium battery, my tetris DX moves don't feel as swift.

Probably can't tell, not needed in other games which don't involve as much repetitive movement. 

There seem to be a lot around that price on Amazon. Part of the reason I got the itch to mod a GBC is that Boxy Pixel makes aluminum replacement shells that are designed to take their own 2,000 mah rechargeable batteries and type c breakout boards for charging them. I must have found them just a bit too late though. They noted that they were redesigning the shells but I could have sworn there were some still in stock when I first found them.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 19 May 2021, 21:18:05 »
Yea, it looked cool, but it gets into an impractical area. Overall Swapping batteries is more convenient than charging cable.

I'm not a huge fan of screen mod as I've mentioned above, and the weight may be an issue. GBC is already pretty heavy. 

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 09:05:11 »
Yea, it looked cool, but it gets into an impractical area. Overall Swapping batteries is more convenient than charging cable.

I'm not a huge fan of screen mod as I've mentioned above, and the weight may be an issue. GBC is already pretty heavy. 

Is there no way to use the stock GBC screen? I know the replacement shell is designed around a screen upgrade but it sounded like cutting was what was usually necessary for an upgrade, so you would think an original one could be used too, maybe with a little shimming.

GBC feels like a toy to me, wouldn't mind some more weight. With the type c breakout board though you could use one of those Netdot magnetic cables and just connect and disconnect while playing, if necessary. Swapping batteries has its pros too. I still just swap batteries in my phone instead of charging.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 09:41:05 »

If you're going to do it up with the metal case, you might as well go all the way as you've planned.

Remember you'll also need the voltage booster board if you use ips mod w/ flash carts

For the weight, you wouldn't say that after 5 hours of tetris. :cool:

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 21 May 2021, 02:50:55 »
I thought tp4 is going to share some sex experience here...  :p
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 21 May 2021, 05:17:20 »
I thought tp4 is going to share some secs experience here...  :p

file not found. error 404

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 21 May 2021, 09:26:50 »
I thought tp4 is going to share some secs experience here...  :p

file not found. error 404

That's freaking hilarious.

OG GB powers on now after a lot of cleaning of the battery contacts (I actually had to bust out a brass brush) and flushing the power switch with isopropyl. All the screen does is draw a few vertical lines though. I haven't ripped the working one apart to try swapping boards to see if it may have something to do with the sticky power switch moreso than a problem with the screen itself, since I was surprised to see that it switches multiple circuits. Does anybody know if anybody makes replacement power switches for the OG GB?

It has Phillips screws, which apparently sets it back to at least the late 80s. I'll definitely be saving this one.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 21 May 2021, 10:54:30 »
No one makes power switches. it's very odd.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 21 May 2021, 20:56:53 »
Ebay sells them.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 21 May 2021, 21:11:12 »
Ebay sells them.

Yea they have a mod now, but no one makes the original dimension switch is what I'm saying.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 24 May 2021, 16:32:51 »
Ebay sells them.

Yea they have a mod now, but no one makes the original dimension switch is what I'm saying.

I see a hackjob for the GBC and Pocket but not the OG. Maybe it would work for all 3, I would have to compare them. The OG's power switch is pretty weird though. Maybe I'll just try spraying it out with some contact cleaner first, then try swapping boards around.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 24 May 2021, 18:34:40 »
I see a hackjob for the GBC and Pocket but not the OG. Maybe it would work for all 3, I would have to compare them. The OG's power switch is pretty weird though. Maybe I'll just try spraying it out with some contact cleaner first, then try swapping boards around.

There was a thing where you can desolder the cap on the switch and rub it out, and put it back.