Author Topic: Yet Another MX vs Topre Thread  (Read 2460 times)

Offline eternalmetal

Yet Another MX vs Topre Thread
« on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 13:46:33 »
I bought an mx blue board (QFR TKL) a couple of months ago, and at first I loved it.  Because of the sheer joy of typing on this board, I taught myself to type more traditionally after doing some form of advanced hunt and peck for ~20 years (true touch typing is amazing).  After getting more comfortable with touch typing on a keyboard, I am finding that the mx blue switch is less than ideal.  I am apparently more of a heavy handed typist, and I find the blues to feel really weak and flimsy, even with thick cherry profile PBT caps.  Bottoming out feels harsh, and I am starting to feel like the clicky sound sounds cheap (the novelty has wore off by now). 

I grew up using buckling spring boards, and not really liking them, I switched to cheap and quiet rubber dome keyboards around the mid-late 90s.  I eventually discovered that there was such a thing as mechanical keyboards, and switched to one with mx blues once my previous board started having issues.  I definitely like it more than the cheap rubber dome Dell keyboard I have as a backup, which is mushy and lifeless, but then again the rubber dome board is also smoother to type on, and I like the softness of pressing down into rubber rather than springs falling onto a steel plate.  This is where the prospect of topre comes into play.  Being praised as a high quality rubber dome, Topre is actually quite appealing to me.  So I did what any other member on this forum would do in this situation, and ordered a 55g Realforce board.  I know that I could probably just wait a few days and judge for myself, but I am curious what I should expect from a topre board compared to an mx blue.  I also hope it is significantly stiffer than my mx blues: should I expect this to be the case?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
Re: Yet Another MX vs Topre Thread
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 13:54:47 »
I could see the need for this thread if you hadn't already ordered the board (even though there are hundreds of other threads on this same thing), it's already in the mail. Try it when you get it. Like it or don't.
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 13:55:55 »
Yup, 55g Topre is definitely stiffer than MX Blues. Make sure you give it a few days before making any broad judgement about Topre boards, it takes time to acclimate and break in the board  :)

I could see the need for this thread if you hadn't already ordered the board (even though there are hundreds of other threads on this same thing), it's already in the mail. Try it when you get it. Like it or don't.

I tend to be one of those people that asks a lot of questions after ordering something (or watching videos on youtube of the product), probably what is happening here.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 13:57:36 »

I tend to be one of those people that asks a lot of questions after ordering something (or watching videos on youtube of the product), probably what is happening here.
I mean I still don't see the need. also:

(even though there are hundreds of other threads on this same thing)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline eternalmetal

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 14:18:16 »
Yup, 55g Topre is definitely stiffer than MX Blues. Make sure you give it a few days before making any broad judgement about Topre boards, it takes time to acclimate and break in the board  :)

Yea, ive heard people say that it takes them a little time to truly appreciate the topre experience, so ill definitely be mindful of that.

I mean I still don't see the need. also:

(even though there are hundreds of other threads on this same thing)

Topics specifically comparing mx blue to topre 55g?  Ive done quite a bit of lurking on the subject matter, but most people are more keen on comparing topre to stuff like mx clears and blacks.  I really havent read much about blues vs 55g topre, hence the reason why I created a topic to discuss it.

Yup, pretty much.  I did quite a bit of research reading about the board, but curiosity is getting the best of me and I want to see what people have to say.  Its more of an "expectations before arrival" thread than it is a legitimate thread about asking whether I should make the purchase or not.  I dont see much difference between the "you need to try it to see if you like it" response in 'looking to buy' threads vs a post purchase curiosity thread.  Better than another "whats the best keyboard for gaming?" thread, no? :p

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 15:03:46 »

As one who's been dealing with this crap for years, can we just... ya know....not?

Offline eternalmetal

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 15:18:13 »

As one who's been dealing with this crap for years, can we just... ya know....not?

How about, just... ya know... ignoring my thread if you arent interested in contributing?

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 15:31:30 »
fight fight fight
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 17:05:06 »
Quote from: eternalmetal link=topic=74110.msg1818544#msg1818544 date=1438546693[

How about, just... ya know... [i
ignoring[/i] my thread if you arent interested in contributing?

While I'm sure there's probably some good content in this thread to contribute to, the choice of wording for the Topic doesn't really indicate that.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 17:57:36 »
RF 55g topre > anything cherry has put out or will put out
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 18:32:50 »
Quit tempting me with that 55g RF, demik... You keep saying so much good stuff about plate mounted 55g topre...

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 18:43:33 »
If I didn't like soldering boards so much I'd only stick with a 55g RF. My ADD doesn't let me stay with one thing for too long.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 19:02:22 »

basically every clone > new cherry

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 19:03:11 »
Quit tempting me with that 55g RF, demik... You keep saying so much good stuff about plate mounted 55g topre...

DO IT.

If I didn't like soldering boards so much I'd only stick with a 55g RF. My ADD doesn't let me stay with one thing for too long.

Lies.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 19:15:08 »
Topre was too mushy for me.

I'm a fan of crisp tactile feedback so Model F's and Monterey Blues are some of my favorites. For MX I like the tactility of Clears, but the springs are too heavy. I was about to make some ergo-clears when Zeal make his announcement, so when those come out my KUL and QFR are getting a makeover.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 03 August 2015, 00:43:48 »
Why not just get another Model M?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 03 August 2015, 01:34:54 »
How about Alps?
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline LunarisDream

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 12:08:02 »
Topre was too mushy for me.

I'm a fan of crisp tactile feedback so Model F's and Monterey Blues are some of my favorites. For MX I like the tactility of Clears, but the springs are too heavy. I was about to make some ergo-clears when Zeal make his announcement, so when those come out my KUL and QFR are getting a makeover.
I don't like how Topre forced me to bottom out, coming from MX clears. My fingers were too used to the weight of clears for Topre to feel comfortable to me - just exhausting.