Author Topic: AEKII no logo?  (Read 3115 times)

Offline wazup

AEKII no logo?
« on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 22:01:52 »
I purchases this AEKII several months ago, and have been wondering why mine is the only one I have seen so far that doesn't have an apple logo on the front.  The rear badge says AEKII so it isn't a clone, and the PCB has the apple logo on it.  Was there a year where they just did not have a logo on the keyboard?

« Last Edit: Fri, 27 March 2015, 22:05:13 by wazup »
||  Ducky 9008 G2 (MX Brown)  ||  Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red)  ||  Monoprice 9433 (MX Blue)  ||  IBM Model M ('90)  ||  Apple Extended Keyboard II ('90©, cream damped Alps)  ||  Apple M0110A ('87, Mitsumi)  ||

Offline jacobolus

Re: AEKII no logo?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 22:15:53 »
It should be in the upper left. Maybe someone painted over it?

Or maybe you just have a special snowflake keyboard with no logo.

Offline wazup

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 22:24:47 »
Hrmm, from what I understood the apple logo was actually attached with a screw on the upper left, but on my board there is no marking/blemish in the plastic of the case to suggest it was ever there, just confused
||  Ducky 9008 G2 (MX Brown)  ||  Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red)  ||  Monoprice 9433 (MX Blue)  ||  IBM Model M ('90)  ||  Apple Extended Keyboard II ('90©, cream damped Alps)  ||  Apple M0110A ('87, Mitsumi)  ||

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 22:28:22 »
I've seen some that were rebranded without the Apple and with what appeared to be a dyseubbed logo, so it's possible that it's from a non-Apple system or non-Apple supplier and no branding was never put on the board in the first place

Offline wazup

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 22:47:11 »
Or maybe you just have a special snowflake keyboard with no logo.

oooo special snowflake.....i don't think its worth anything just curious about it

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 01:10:01 »
Note also the splat keys have no apple logo.

Perhaps, just as many manufacturers mimed the style of the Model M and F, someone aped the AEKII.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 02:10:33 »
Oh, you’re right. This one is pretty clearly otherwise identical to an Apple branded one, and presumably also ADB, so probably used with a Mac. I wonder in what context Apple needed to sell a computer/keyboard where they couldn’t include the logo? Very unusual.

Maybe it was Bill’s personal computer, and he thought if he got one without the branding, nobody would know!

Offline wazup

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 13:11:44 »
Here is the back, just to show it is genuine

Offline Eugene

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 07:10:21 »
Maybe this shipped with an Apple Network Server, which didn't even run Mac OS, but AIX.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 07:57:18 »
I have never seen a serial number like that. I remember all of mine having "M3012" or something like that near the end, especially the 1990 copyright.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Megaweapon

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 08:47:45 »
Maybe this shipped with an Apple Network Server, which didn't even run Mac OS, but AIX.
There's an extensive technical manual for these things linked from their Wikipedia entry that includes:

The following figure illustrates the front view of the Network Server 500 and 700 Series. Note that the monitor and keyboard must be purchased separately.
Keyboard - Supports Apple ADB keyboards (AIX requires an extended keyboard for installation)
Note: AIX software does not come preinstalled in standard configurations of the Network Server 500 and 700 Series. The AIX software must be purchased separately.

Interesting that they would not include a keyboard (required to install the OS, which did not come preinstalled) but go to the expense of producing a semi-unbranded keyboard specifically for this line.  Also Wikipedia says the AEKII was discontinued in 1994 while this line of servers didn't launch until 1996.  On the other hand Deskthority wiki says AEKII was produced until 1995, which makes this a little more plausible.

I wonder if they actually utilized those command keys for anything in CDE or if they were just vestigial.
Ancer Research Groop DFK191ABA11 IBM Model M13 Part 92G7461 (white) Rosewill RK-9000
Matias Tactile Pro 3 Apple Extended Keyboard II (ALPS)
Rosewill RK-9000I

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 14:44:06 »
This AEK II looks earlier than that. Note it uses cream (“pine”) switches; by the latest production runs of the AEK II, Alps had switched to white sliders (“bamboo” switches).

I don’t see any specific evidence that this keyboard went with an Apple Network Server. And in particular, it looks like the Apple Network Server did have an Apple logo on the front.
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 March 2015, 14:47:57 by jacobolus »

Offline wazup

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 17:36:00 »
Yes I believe these are the cream damped switches listed on deskthority, it doesn't look white and the year matches up with the creamed damped production.  The mystery continues though.

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 04:37:48 »
The first numerals in the serial number indicate that the keyboard was manufactured the first (01) week of 1993 (3).

The part of the serial number after the % looks like a model number, but searching for M0477LL/A does not help at all.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 08:05:30 »

Wikipedia says the AEKII was discontinued in 1994 while this line of servers didn't launch until 1996.  On the other hand Deskthority wiki says AEKII was produced until 1995, which makes this a little more plausible.

As I recall, I have owned AEK2s with 1995 copyright dates (all were white) but the 1990 copyrights are much more common.

Also, if memory serves, Terrapin says that he has had 1989 copyright AEK2s with salmon/pink Alps.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline wazup

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 16:20:25 »
The first numerals in the serial number indicate that the keyboard was manufactured the first (01) week of 1993 (3).

The part of the serial number after the % looks like a model number, but searching for M0477LL/A does not help at all.

AP30100H%M0477LL/A

So AP (3) (01) That date seems confusing to me, as the last picture of the white alps one on deskthority (below) would make it produced in 96, and I thought they were discontinued 95? 

AP6205QV%M0312J
http://deskthority.net/w/images/c/cd/Apple_Extended_II_White_Damped_Mex_--_rear_label.jpg

Or is there different labeling between boards from US and Mexico?  But you are right the M0477LL/A is different from any of the other AEKII on deskthority as they all have M0312, and say can sometimes contain M3501.

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Apple_Extended_Keyboard_II#Serial_numbers

edit: fixed link,then date, then just put the deskthority serial number in text
« Last Edit: Tue, 31 March 2015, 18:33:12 by wazup »