Author Topic: Searching Macintosh keycaps with small modifiers, seeking for help  (Read 2173 times)

Offline tDr1v3r

So, yeah, I need these.

I'm currently owning a Razer BlackWidow Tournament Edition (don't judge me, the 2013 model is the cheapest tenkeyless board here in Hungary, and it's plate mounted which is awesome), which has a a pretty ****ed up layout. Well, it's not that bad because most of the keycaps sized correctly but the modifiers aren't.

I originally wanted to replace the OS modifiers only, but from what I saw nobody makes keycaps suited to Razer's own style, so I need to replace all of them. Any good recommendations? I've found out that a kit called "Granite Apple Kit" exists in multiple sizes, but it's not produced anymore and it's not black which is not suiting for my keyboard.
« Last Edit: Tue, 31 March 2015, 04:12:13 by tDr1v3r »
razer blackwidow tournament edition w/ mx blues, vortex pok3r w/ mx browns, b.face x2 - wip w/ tex acrylic case, silver plate and 65g tactile zealios

Offline Findecanor

Re: Searching Macintosh keycaps with small modifiers, seeking for help
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 12:58:32 »
There are lots of other keyboards with the same layout for the keycaps, just not that many mechanical keyboards for Mac. Custom sets sometimes have the keys needed, but not always for Mac and not always two 1u keys for the right side of the space bar.

There is a Mac Edition of the Razer BlackWidow - at least in ANSI. If you are lucky then you would find someone who has one but wants to use it for a PC and then you could swap keycaps.

Offline tDr1v3r

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 14:31:35 »
There are lots of other keyboards with the same layout for the keycaps, just not that many mechanical keyboards for Mac. Custom sets sometimes have the keys needed, but not always for Mac and not always two 1u keys for the right side of the space bar.

There is a Mac Edition of the Razer BlackWidow - at least in ANSI. If you are lucky then you would find someone who has one but wants to use it for a PC and then you could swap keycaps.

Sadly I'm not that lucky. :( I'm aware of custom sets has the required keys sometimes, but I can't find any.

Oh, I forgot to mention that my BWTE has an ANSI layout.
razer blackwidow tournament edition w/ mx blues, vortex pok3r w/ mx browns, b.face x2 - wip w/ tex acrylic case, silver plate and 65g tactile zealios

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 06:14:53 »
BTW, Max Keyboards sells blank keycap sets that I think should fit the Razer BlackWidow. You would have to choose the 6.0 unit space bar option.

Offline tDr1v3r

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 04:11:46 »
I know, it would be the best to go for a blank set (hungarian letters are not printed in the current ones), but my dad is using my computer too and he often get confused (he can type blind, just like me) because the modifiers' keycaps are made for Windows not Mac. And, well, it looks weird too.

I know I need a custom set but I can't find any suitable.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 17:58:10 »
As a fellow Mac user, I can relate to your frustration.

For the sets that I use, I simply choose different modifiers that are close, but not an exact match, like this one. Alt and Ctrl are part of Mac OS, so it's just the Apple/Command key that you can use a blank, or another legend on.

Would that work for you?

Offline tDr1v3r

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 10:16:44 »
Yeah, that was an option too but I started to design a completely new keyset which can completely suit to my needs.

But honestly, I'm thinking to sell it and buy a CM QuickFire Rapid-i insted... but I'm afraid a bit because I don't know that board's quality. And probably I would lose some money on the replace... but I guess this is a pricy hobby.

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 10:27:15 »
CM Storm boards are good quality and Mac compatible. If you want something that mimics the Mac layout without having to make any changes in software, check out WASD keyboards. They have dip switches on the back to enable Mac mode (swaps Windows with Alt) as well as a few other features. The CODE keyboard on their site is backlit but only available in Cherry MX green, clear, and brown switches. Their standard boards come in those as well as red, black, and blue.

I love my MX brown CODE and I have one of their standard TKL boards with browns at work.