Author Topic: Is this job offer a scam?  (Read 4852 times)

Offline abdulmuhsee

Is this job offer a scam?
« on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 19:04:55 »
I received an email requesting virtual assistants to my old college email.  When I inquired about it, I received this email.  Something seems fishy about it beyond the fact that it came from a normal gmail account, but I can't quite put my finger on it.  Since most people here are in IT or technologically inclined, can anyone tell me if this is legit?

Dear [name],

We received your application, you have been considered for employment, you are to occupy the position of Virtual Assistant available.

PRIOR TO BEEN EMPLOYED PLEASE NOTE YOU MUST ALWAYS ACKNOWLEDGE ANY EMAIL OR TEXT RECEIVED FROM US.

KEYSTONE TECHNOLOGIES provides a full range of integrated facility across Canada and United States, and it is expanding its training centers across the States,a need for a good and reliable virtual assistant that can work with team manager is of necessity. I want you to read through the company website so you can have a better understanding about the company.

This position will be home-based and flexible part time/full time job.Your duties as virtual assistant will be running personal errands, performing various administrative tasks, including answering emails, scheduling meetings, booking flights and appointments, Handling cash and deposits, receiving calls, purchasing supplies and attending to clients. You are to start immediately.

You are to respond with the below information. After we have received your information you will be placed on a week trial, during which your pay will be $300 per week. Details will be sent after you must have returned the information below.

Full name:
Valid Address:
City & state:
Zip code:
Date:
DOB:
Valid Cell Phone  #:
Are you currently employed? if so state your job and your current working and free hours:

When we receive the above information, your first assignment will be relayed via email and how it should be conducted.

Be rest assured that your information requested is needed for our company’s database as an employee and will not be disclosed to a third party.

We will send your package for your first assignment this week. which will contain your paycheck and instructions for a week trial after which you will be sent an employment after completion of your trial.You will then print out and fill then send back to me.

Thanks in anticipation of your prompt response.

Best regards,
Tiara Parker
4835 Hwy 109

Eureka, MO 63025
pfta1952@gmail.com
https://keystonetechnologies.com/

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: This communication and any attachments included herein contain information that belongs to KEYSTONE TECHNOLOGIES, that may be confidential, legally privileged and/or a trade secret. Its unauthorized disclosure, copying or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error please delete or destroy it and notify the sender immediately. Neither  KEYSTONE, nor its subsidiaries or affiliates will be liable for any damages resulting from any modification or falsification of an e-mail that is originated by us. Moreover, although precautions have been taken to ensure that the data included herein is free from viruses or other malicious content, we cannot assure that such is indeed the case and disclaim any responsibility attributable there.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Is this job offer a scam?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 19:11:36 »
Hahahaha. Obviously a scam. !!

Eureka, MO 63025
pfta1952@gmail.com

They don't even have their own email server

Offline abdulmuhsee

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 19:15:39 »
Hahahaha. Obviously a scam. !!

Eureka, MO 63025
pfta1952@gmail.com

They don't even have their own email server

Yeah, that seemed like an obvious enough clue, but a part-time, work-from-home job seemed pretty sweet :-p.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 19:16:21 »
"This position will be home-based and flexible part time/full time job. You are to start immediately."

right off the bat you can tell it's a scam

Offline fer.real

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 19:21:18 »
We received your application, you have been considered for employment...

Did you send them an application?  If not, that should be red flag number one.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 19:23:41 »
I got as far as "We received your application" - if you had applied you'd know they were legit.  This is shortly followed by "you have been considered for employment" and "PRIOR TO BEEN EMPLOYED" which are both so wrong grammatically it's a dead giveaway - no-one would present their company so badly to a potential new employee.  Kept reading for fun, how do you handle cash online?!

Sorry, your search for a job is not over :))
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 19:23:50 »
Google the address they have a real email address and telephone number.

You could call, it seems to be a medical company.

Although the website is completely boiler plate.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline abdulmuhsee

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 19:26:16 »
We received your application, you have been considered for employment...

Did you send them an application?  If not, that should be red flag number one.

I actually did send an application, and the original email was sent from an email associated with my old college.  This email seems way fishier.

Offline hyteuu

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 01:27:10 »
I received an email requesting virtual assistants to my old college email.  When I inquired about it, I received this email.  Something seems fishy about it beyond the fact that it came from a normal gmail account, but I can't quite put my finger on it.  Since most people here are in IT or technologically inclined, can anyone tell me if this is legit?

Dear [name],

We received your application, you have been considered for employment, you are to occupy the position of Virtual Assistant available.

PRIOR TO BEEN EMPLOYED PLEASE NOTE YOU MUST ALWAYS ACKNOWLEDGE ANY EMAIL OR TEXT RECEIVED FROM US.

KEYSTONE TECHNOLOGIES provides a full range of integrated facility across Canada and United States, and it is expanding its training centers across the States,a need for a good and reliable virtual assistant that can work with team manager is of necessity. I want you to read through the company website so you can have a better understanding about the company.

This position will be home-based and flexible part time/full time job.Your duties as virtual assistant will be running personal errands, performing various administrative tasks, including answering emails, scheduling meetings, booking flights and appointments, Handling Coles for you login page and deposits, receiving calls, purchasing supplies and attending to clients. You are to start immediately.

You are to respond with the below information. After we have received your information you will be placed on a week trial, during which your pay will be $300 per week. Details will be sent after you must have returned the information below.

Full name:
Valid Address:
City & state:
Zip code:
Date:
DOB:
Valid Cell Phone  #:
Are you currently employed? if so state your job and your current working and free hours:

When we receive the above information, your first assignment will be relayed via email and how it should be conducted.

Be rest assured that your information requested is needed for our company’s database as an employee and will not be disclosed to a third party.

We will send your package for your first assignment this week. which will contain your paycheck and instructions for a week trial after which you will be sent an employment after completion of your trial.You will then print out and fill then send back to me.

Thanks in anticipation of your prompt response.

Best regards,
Tiara Parker
4835 Hwy 109

Eureka, MO 63025
pfta1952@gmail.com
https://keystonetechnologies.com/

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: This communication and any attachments included herein contain information that belongs to KEYSTONE TECHNOLOGIES, that may be confidential, legally privileged and/or a trade secret. Its unauthorized disclosure, copying or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error please delete or destroy it and notify the sender immediately. Neither  KEYSTONE, nor its subsidiaries or affiliates will be liable for any damages resulting from any modification or falsification of an e-mail that is originated by us. Moreover, although precautions have been taken to ensure that the data included herein is free from viruses or other malicious content, we cannot assure that such is indeed the case and disclaim any responsibility attributable there.

Yeah it's totally scam but in the end they're just trying loop hole to get access to your bank details :'(
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 June 2020, 01:23:12 by hyteuu »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 03:25:05 »
A surprising lot of smaller companies use gmail for mail.
Fighting spam filters is a nightmare (F Microsoft in particular), do not use this as a way of judging real or fake. It's just not practical for many businesses today.

As for being real or fake,
No phone number is a VERY BIG RED FLAG, they can't have you calling a fake number. Also an employer will always need your social security number but doing so would also be a gigantic red flag if asked in email.

Another red flag is the fact that they plan on sending you a check along with the job, which is a trial. What employer pays you before the job is done? This is either a fishing expedition for identity theft and/or they will ask you to pay a "shipping and handling fee" for your package (probably both, why sell themselves short?).
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 05:22:18 »
Never heard of them. It is a scam. You'd be better off applying in person or finding a legitimate company

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 15:26:28 »
If it's a work from home job you can pretty much guarantee it is a scam. 99.999% of the time

just realized I made the same comment I did before in the same thread 3 months later  :-[
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 January 2020, 16:19:56 by noisyturtle »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 16:19:46 »
If it's a work from home job you can pretty much guarantee it is a scam. 99.999% of the time

Jet Blue..

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 16:24:26 »
Nah this is totally legit it's 2020.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Offline rinkaan

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 17:46:16 »
From Google maps street view they actually do have a valid address and phone number on the website. Perhaps u can call the help line, but chances are it is a scam given that the company have their own email address but is not used in the email

Sent from my Redmi K20 Pro using Tapatalk

Offline Kavik

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 22 January 2020, 10:38:45 »
You guys realize this thread is a year and a half old and the OP likely no longer needs an answer or investigation, right?
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 22 January 2020, 17:05:52 »
Yes

Offline jacethesaltsculptor

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 26 January 2020, 16:33:48 »
You guys realize this thread is a year and a half old and the OP likely no longer needs an answer or investigation, right?

Thread Necromancy is big here I've noticed, to a much greater degree than nearly any other forum I've ever been on.

I actually kinda like it, it keeps conversation flowing, even if it's old stuff.

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline Kavik

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 12:00:34 »

Thread Necromancy is big here I've noticed, to a much greater degree than nearly any other forum I've ever been on.

I actually kinda like it, it keeps conversation flowing, even if it's old stuff.

I have noticed it too, and I always end up reading the thread from the beginning only later realizing it's several months or years old and doesn't need my input. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but the initial necro responder(s) doesn't seem to realize this and responds in earnest.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline jacethesaltsculptor

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 13:33:41 »

I have noticed it too, and I always end up reading the thread from the beginning only later realizing it's several months or years old and doesn't need my input. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but the initial necro responder(s) doesn't seem to realize this and responds in earnest.

That's the strange thing to me as well, I've gotten vigilant about reading the dates of these threads now just to know what to expect for conversation, since the original posters from 5 years ago probably won't respond.

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 29 January 2020, 04:21:00 »
I usually look, but I missed it this time.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 29 January 2020, 04:31:02 »
That's the strange thing to me as well, I've gotten vigilant about reading the dates of these threads now just to know what to expect for conversation, since the original posters from 5 years ago probably won't respond.

Absent verification we are all timeless echos to one another.

In fact, many post could have even come from the future, or a parallel universe.

Or maybe it's all a simulation. !!  /matrix