Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3496882 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #2800 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 16:59:22 »
If i would install a custom plate, do i need to make any adjustments or swap the Case aswell?

Ideally you'd want to buy a plate to fit a case. For example, the Phantom plate will fit into a Filco case but it won't fit into a QFR case iirc. You have to open the board up, desolder the switches from the PCB, remove the stock plate if it has one, replace the switches onto the new plate, put the PCB back on, then resolder all the switches. It's not a quick mod if you're kinda new to the keyboard mod game like me.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #2801 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 17:23:30 »
wow that was quick  ;D

If i would install a custom plate, do i need to make any adjustments or swap the Case aswell?
For a filco you would need a 'universal tenkeyless plate' by WhiteFireDragon. Phantom plates wouldn't work due to the filco controller.

I'm not sure whether WhiteFireDragon has any he could sell you. Your best bet would be putting up an ad in the classifieds.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #2802 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 18:11:16 »
wow that was quick  ;D

For a filco you would need a 'universal tenkeyless plate' by WhiteFireDragon. Phantom plates wouldn't work due to the filco controller.

I'm not sure whether WhiteFireDragon has any he could sell you. Your best bet would be putting up an ad in the classifieds.

He's currently running a round2 of those plates, now in steel and a bit more expensive.  Would ask him, but he said left overs will be sold after the GB is done.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2803 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 18:14:32 »
He's currently running a round2 of those plates, now in steel

What kind of steel? Stainless steel?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator

Offline Masterchief79

« Reply #2805 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 18:28:38 »
Hey guys, are old IBM electronical typewriters using buckling spring technology? (Model 6787)
Taiwanese Fake-Model F with MX black copies (1984) | Apple Keyboard (salmon Alps 1987) | G80-1000HDD vintage blacks (1987) | G80-1000HFD vintage blues | G80-1800HFD | QPad MK50 browns | AEK II

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2806 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 18:37:32 »
I think so:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36907.msg926607#msg926607

Yes they're stainless steel.

Hey guys, are old IBM electronical typewriters using buckling spring technology? (Model 6787)

No, they use a complex electromechanical switch that aren't related to keyboard switches. Knowledge bomb brought to you by dfj :D

Edit: Some more info on the Selectric Typewriter, again from dfj:

<dfj> the selectric was awesome - the key would physically press a unique code onto a physical bar which was read electrically into a 6-bit value - this was the character to be pressed.
<dfj> that electrical signal was decoded again to generate the coorodinates on the ball - but the actual strike and rotation of the ball was powered by a continuously rotating shaft.
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 June 2013, 18:41:30 by CPTBadAss »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2807 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 19:29:29 »

I just took a Wheelwriter apart for the buckling spring caps and parts. One-piece keys with some odd legends.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #2808 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 11:56:27 »
What font do SP use, as in most commonly? (If this isnt a simple question I apologise)
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2809 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 11:59:42 »
What font do SP use, as in most commonly?

I think it's their replica of the WYSE font, but I'm totally guessing.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #2810 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 08:30:20 »

WYSE didn't invent the font to my knowledge.  Pretty sure WYSE uses SP's font.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #2811 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 08:41:59 »
is there such thing as an adapter of some sort to put Cherrry stemmed caps on alps stitches?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2812 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 08:43:42 »
is there such thing as an adapter of some sort to put Cherrry stemmed caps on alps stitches?

Mr. Interface on DT tried to make some with 3D printers. However, the plastic he chose was brittle and the adapters were prone to snapping. I've posted the same idea in mkawa's 3D printing thread. Hopefully he'll be able to work that into his project schedule.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2813 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 08:44:49 »

http://deskthority.net/off-topic-f10/guess-the-project-t4809.html?hilit=cherry%20alps%20adapter

There may be another thread but my search fu needs more twerking to not be so week. And ninja'd by captain..

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #2814 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 08:55:03 »

WYSE didn't invent the font to my knowledge.  Pretty sure WYSE uses SP's font.

Okay, I'd like to clear this up once and for all. Maybe this needs to go into a wiki or FAQ. I don't work for Signature Plastics, but I researched this and found this page on SP's web site.

History
The history of Signature Plastics began in 1973 with a company named Comptec. Comptec began injection molding and quickly became a leading manufacturer of two-shot molded plastic parts for customers world wide servicing the computer, telecommunication, electronic, automotive, medical and consumer products markets.

Signature Plastics was established in 2001 following a management buyout of assets and customer base of Comptec Inc. The products developed and technologies perfected during the formative Comptec years laid the foundation for Signature Plastics' continued success today resulting in over thirty years of plastic molding expertise.

- Comptec created the WYSE font and made all the original keycaps for the WYSE keyboards you can still find in the marketplace.

- Signature Plastics did not make the original WYSE keycaps. Comptec did. It appears the tooling they use now is newer tooling, and not the original tooling.

- Signature Plastics's default legend font is the WYSE font they acquired from Comptec.

JD i can put it into the OP. Unless you really want a Wiki article.

OP is fine. :D
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 June 2013, 09:00:37 by jdcarpe »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #2815 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 08:56:46 »
Thanks jd!
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2816 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 08:59:06 »
JD i can put it into the OP. Unless you really want a Wiki article.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #2817 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 19:10:26 »
What are the differences between Vortex thick pbt from Feng's GB VS IMSTO thick pbt (feel, thickness, quality of dye, quality of color)
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #2818 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 19:32:10 »
What are the differences between Vortex thick pbt from Feng's GB VS IMSTO thick pbt (feel, thickness, quality of dye, quality of color)

Can't help you with all of those points, but the font on the Vortex PBT is distinctly different: it's angular and slanted and smaller.  I think the white of Vortex PBT is also a lot more pure white vs. the off-white creamy color of IMSTO's white PBT.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2819 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 00:02:34 »

Can't help you with all of those points, but the font on the Vortex PBT is distinctly different: it's angular and slanted and smaller.  I think the white of Vortex PBT is also a lot more pure white vs. the off-white creamy color of IMSTO's white PBT.

Imsto sells more colors than just white. I'm not sure what Vortex caps have in terms of colors. I never typed on thick PBT Vortex but I know that the thin PBT Vortex caps I have on my tester are pretty bad. They're pretty low quality and that font is horrible. It's like italic and spiky.

I have Imsto caps but I'm not longer interested in them. They were from his R1 GB. Cherry profile, black on a nice sky blue. I thought the legends were horrible though. Ivan put a lot of time into them but I think the dyesub process or something was messed up because they were bad. Just blurry and not crisp at all. I also don't care for PBT because the texture throws me off. I prefer the smoothness of ABS to the coarse texture of PBT.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #2820 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 08:09:48 »
Who is the master of cable sleeving on these forums?  I have some questions and don't want the general masses to know any of the details.  Just a couple select few that I am enlisting a bit of help from.

Melvang
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2821 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 08:32:28 »
Who is the master of cable sleeving on these forums?  I have some questions and don't want the general masses to know any of the details.  Just a couple select few that I am enlisting a bit of help from.

tjcaustin, nubbinator, TheFlyingRacooon, pexon, mistakemistake, Paranoid, and Whiskerbox are all people who sell or have made their own cables in various quantities. You can pick one of those members whom you like/trust to talk to about cable sleeving.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #2822 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 08:56:32 »
TJ #1
I love Elzy

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
« Reply #2823 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 10:44:20 »
Is there any "custom spring" that have a force more than 80g (like 100g, 120g) on sale?
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2824 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 10:44:43 »
Is there any "custom spring" that have a force more than 80g (like 100g, 120g) on sale?

I've never seen higher than 80g.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2825 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 12:41:30 »
Would lubing Clears with 62g Korean springs get rid of the stickiness I'm feeling when the switches rebound?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #2826 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 12:47:04 »
Would lubing Clears with 62g Korean springs get rid of the stickiness I'm feeling when the switches rebound?

It will help some, but won't get rid of all of it.  That stickiness is why I actually prefer 65-67g springs over 62g in Ergo Clears.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2827 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 12:47:58 »

It will help some, but won't get rid of all of it.  That stickiness is why I actually prefer 65-67g springs over 62g in Ergo Clears.

Hmm, maybe I'll have to get some 65g springs then.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #2828 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 12:48:03 »
62g gold son.... 63.5g magic.
I love Elzy

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #2829 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 12:48:40 »
62g gold son.... 63.5g magic.

This^

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2830 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 12:50:19 »
Gold springs are slightly heavier than normal springs?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2831 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 12:51:00 »
Gold springs are slightly heavier than normal springs?

Yes, whatever the material the springs are made out of are causes the bottom out force to be slightly heavier than the silver material.

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #2832 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 13:56:24 »
In the Classifieds section I sometimes see a lot of "BUMP" what is the purpose? I just put a keyboard up and its my first time. Some seem to get carried away with the bumping, I don't want to be inappropriate.   

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #2833 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 13:57:15 »
People just really want their thread up there.

Keep in mind you should only be bumping, at most, once every 24 hours.
I love Elzy

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #2834 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 14:31:29 »
In the Classifieds section I sometimes see a lot of "BUMP" what is the purpose? I just put a keyboard up and its my first time. Some seem to get carried away with the bumping, I don't want to be inappropriate.

If you're actively selling something, your thread will eventually be bumped down by newly created ones and those that got bumped with replies and self-bumps.  Sometimes things in those other threads ahead of yours get sold quickly, but they still remain ahead of your post.  Basically you can bump your own stuff but do so tactfully once a day to avoid spamming :)  Most do this because I think majority looks only at the first page, and some at the first two pages of the Classifieds subforum.  If you bump too often, your thread has a good chance of being locked :)

Offline Rayne

• For Science!
« Reply #2835 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 19:27:13 »
ok, sorry if this has been answered before, but after searching i couldn't find a strait answer anywhere. Is there any place where you can buy 7x costar stabilizers? I will need one for my phantom build. Even if i can just find the 7x wire somewhere that would work because i know i can just the other parts from wasdkekyboards. This size space bar seems somewhat common here in this forum, so you would think there is a place to get these without having to bend one yourself. Thanks for any info anyone may have :D

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2836 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 19:45:27 »
ok, sorry if this has been answered before, but after searching i couldn't find a strait answer anywhere. Is there any place where you can buy 7x costar stabilizers? I will need one for my phantom build. Even if i can just find the 7x wire

You have to bend it yourself. They don't exist.

Offline Rayne

• For Science!
« Reply #2837 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 19:48:34 »
You have to bend it yourself. They don't exist.

well thats a bummer, thanks for the info tho :)

Offline megaforce

« Reply #2838 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 05:37:16 »
Anyone know the bottoming out force for a spring a Vintage Black?
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline Luke

• My Technology Blog
« Reply #2839 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 06:05:10 »
Anyone know if anyone made a plate for a kbt race?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2840 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 08:03:39 »
Anyone know if anyone made a plate for a kbt race?

I've never seen one.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #2841 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 08:05:06 »
Why is CPTBadAss' title

518 Hardcore

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2842 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 08:09:18 »
Why is CPTBadAss' title

518 Hardcore

I'm really into the hardcore music scene, especially the scene in my hometown.
« Last Edit: Sun, 30 June 2013, 08:13:00 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #2843 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 08:09:35 »
Cool :D

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2844 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 09:19:03 »
Why is CPTBadAss' title

518 Hardcore

And i thought that's what time he got off work in the afternoons so he could make moves! ;D

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #2845 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 09:49:59 »
Hey CPT.  Last night on Rock 108 KFMW during the Full Metal Jackie segment they played Children of Bodom.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #2846 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 09:53:49 »
I love Children of Bodom T_T
I love Elzy

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2847 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 10:00:03 »
Hey CPT.  Last night on Rock 108 KFMW during the Full Metal Jackie segment they played Children of Bodom.

I love Children of Bodom T_T

Here's a simple question, why is Children of Bodom not on the radio more? :P

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #2848 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 10:24:26 »
Couldn't answer that one CPT.  The guest for last nights segment was Unnamed Ghoul from a group called ghost.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2849 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 10:26:00 »
Couldn't answer that one CPT.  The guest for last nights segment was Unnamed Ghoul from a group called ghost.

Haha! That's so cool. I don't like Ghost but they're crazy. Their personas are insane. James Hetfield likes them so much that he brought em on tour with Metallica.

Ok ok, someone put this back on topic. Sorry everyone.