Author Topic: Orion V2 Kustom TKL Group Buy  (Read 1219737 times)

Offline MarkRobbo

Re: Orion V2 Kustom TKL Group Buy
« Reply #250 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 09:39:06 »
Wow dam, group buy finishing in less than 4 days...stupid tax season..

Was less than a day to 60 orders if I recall correctly!  :eek:

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #251 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 09:43:02 »
Wow dam, group buy finishing in less than 4 days...stupid tax season..

Was less than a day to 60 orders if I recall correctly!  :eek:
Yeah, < 15 hours :eek:

Offline frostylove

« Reply #252 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 10:00:07 »
Paid.
Waiting this beauty with my new octagon.
97289-0
Suhr Custom Standard Carve Top
Manson DL-1 Matt Bellamy Signature
Marshall JVM410H + 1960A
Lovepedal Kanji Enternity

Offline ramnes

• T fou, mec?
« Reply #253 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 10:16:11 »
Interested in the stabs too.
23h18 - photekq: hhkb with silenced realforce sliders and lubricated well is
23h18 - photekq: the best switch i've used

Offline laguar

« Reply #254 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 10:23:04 »
I also definitely want stabilizers.  Should I pay this invoice, or wait?

Offline r0mIe_Ng

• Go hard or go home!!!
« Reply #255 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 10:23:16 »
would be nice if stabs include in the set :D

Offline ph3nomzlol

• Ruckus
« Reply #256 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 10:47:31 »
I will go ahead and pay the invoice now, but I would definitely love to get stabs included with this instead of sourcing elsewhere.

Let us know, Elton!  We wait with bated breath  :-X

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #257 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 11:15:53 »
I'll wait for the update on how stabilizers are going - also tempted to add on an Alps pcb/plate. Only 5 people ordered it?! Matias says they should be coming out with keycap options soon so I might go ahead and invest in the PCB now. ^-^

Offline monotagary

• Keycaps > Rent
« Reply #258 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 11:32:24 »
Invoice all paid! But man... I could really use some stabilizers.

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #259 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 11:42:57 »
I'll wait for the update on how stabilizers are going - also tempted to add on an Alps pcb/plate. Only 5 people ordered it?! Matias says they should be coming out with keycap options soon so I might go ahead and invest in the PCB now. ^-^
I second that . Also Lastpilot I have a question for you I'm PM'ing now.
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline ryptide11

« Reply #260 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 12:04:57 »
Paid. I can't wait!.

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #261 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 13:27:29 »
Duck's iterations on the Orion makes me very interested in the potential Viper and Octagon updates.

Keyboard innovation, who would have thunk it?

Offline MarkRobbo

« Reply #262 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 13:56:32 »
Paid  :thumb:

Offline orcinus

« Reply #263 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 15:26:48 »
Paid, but interested in stabs too.

Offline tuantruong

« Reply #264 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 15:48:25 »
Haven't received any invoice yet, shot you a PM about that, Elton.  :p

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #265 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 05:03:51 »
I am gradually planning my build of the Orion V2 and it is my first custom build. So I humbly ask the pros here, what type of LEDs does the pre-soldered diodes work with? I am currently looking at buying the LEDs from Zeal (http://zealpc.net/collections/accessories/products/leds).

Thanks in advance.

Offline FreeChemicals

« Reply #266 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 06:00:13 »
I am gradually planning my build of the Orion V2 and it is my first custom build. So I humbly ask the pros here, what type of LEDs does the pre-soldered diodes work with? I am currently looking at buying the LEDs from Zeal (http://zealpc.net/collections/accessories/products/leds).

Thanks in advance.

You can't go wrong with 2x3x4 LEDs afaik. I bought a bunch of them @ zeal for my sprit build :)

Offline MarkRobbo

« Reply #267 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 06:36:03 »
Yep. You can also get them for $6 on aliexpress but shipping can take up to a month

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #268 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 07:02:20 »
Yep. You can also get them for $6 on aliexpress but shipping can take up to a month
This keyboard won't arrive before a month either.

Thanks in advance.
I'd get them from Aliexpress as well:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/Rectangular-square-led/629743_251765645.html

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #269 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 07:14:10 »

Thanks in advance.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/Rectangular-square-led/629743_251765645.html

Thanks in advance.

You can't go wrong with 2x3x4 LEDs afaik. I bought a bunch of them @ zeal for my sprit build :)

Thnx a bunch for the suggestions. Probably go with Zeal in the end as I will buy some SIP sockets and other switch accessories from them. So I will not be able dodge any shipping costs anyway.

Offline FreeChemicals

« Reply #270 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 07:31:39 »

Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.

Thnx a bunch for the suggestions. Probably go with Zeal in the end as I will buy some SIP sockets and other switch accessories from them. So I will not be able dodge any shipping costs anyway.

If you buy the SIP sockets from zeal, don't forget to order them x2 (because he sells them per 130, not enough to cover every switch.

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #271 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 07:38:54 »

If you buy the SIP sockets from zeal, don't forget to order them x2 (because he sells them per 130, not enough to cover every switch.

Good point. Didn't think of that so thank you once again!  :D

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #272 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 08:12:40 »

Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.

If you want to try:

I got my sockets from Taobao.  Ą0.10 a piece (500 = $10!). Zeal's are a bit pricey imo.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #273 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 08:22:43 »
The thing about sockets from Zeal is that they are already clipped of their plastic housings which is a ***** to do yourself.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #274 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 08:32:28 »
The thing about sockets from Zeal is that they are already clipped of their plastic housings which is a ***** to do yourself.
From the pictures, I'd say they're removed as well. The poorly google-translated description doesn't say anything specific though.

They are on the way and I'll drop an update once they arrive.
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 April 2015, 08:37:44 by wlhlm »

Offline FreeChemicals

« Reply #275 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 09:36:49 »

That doesnt seem to be that bad: just use a clipper, see https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51792.msg1179087#msg1179087

I've paid $10 last time, for 130. This time I've ordered them from ebay, 400x @ ~6$. I might have to clip them myself, but I don't mind.

Offline CyriusG

« Reply #276 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 10:27:30 »
Has anyone thought about blocking the two hole in the bottom case so that light only shines through the acrylic insert?

Offline Want

« Reply #277 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 14:42:52 »
Has anyone thought about blocking the two hole in the bottom case so that light only shines through the acrylic insert?

You might be able to put a strip of eletrical tape on either the insert or the bottom case to block the light. Probably isn't too thick, and should do the job.

Elton, if one were to put a dampening mat between the PCB and acrylic angled bottom, with cutouts around the LEDs, would it block out a significant amount of light?

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #278 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 19:06:08 »

That doesnt seem to be that bad: just use a clipper, see https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51792.msg1179087#msg1179087

I've paid $10 last time, for 130. This time I've ordered them from ebay, 400x @ ~6$. I might have to clip them myself, but I don't mind.

Can you show me where you ordered them? I an planning on putting SIP sockets in the orion v2 and I didn't buy some at nuclears GB (because I thought I never need them, smart me...).

Offline IonutZ

• Stay awhile and listen
    • SC
« Reply #279 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 19:15:03 »
How well do the LEDs stay in the SIP sockets? Have any of you run into an issue where they fall out?

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #280 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 19:27:28 »
How well do the LEDs stay in the SIP sockets? Have any of you run into an issue where they fall out?

As long as you don't trim down the legs of the LED too much they will stay in without a problem

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #281 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 19:39:12 »
Payed! Super excited for this one.

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #282 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 19:42:03 »
Used the images in the OP to dream of my setup while waiting

Offline LONGZILLA

• ヽ(`Д´)ノ rawr
« Reply #283 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 20:11:04 »
bottom plates work on V1?
Let me confirm but most likely it is able to
Even though I'm not in this GB I would be interested in picking up another plate + PCB to be able to easily swap around my V1 board.

V2 bottoms will fit V1 tops.

Thanks

Offline elton5354

« Reply #284 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 20:50:10 »
Ok, there won't be any stabilizers in this group buy.

Maybe you can get some here? https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=70990.0

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #285 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 21:17:52 »
Paid :]

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #286 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 21:18:16 »
You could turn it upside down and shake it and they shouldn't fall out. If you want more security use 2x3x4 led's since those friction fit into the top housing. Kind of makes it a ***** to remove or swap though lol.
Either way it should absolutely not fall out under normal circumstances.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline wangbwhz

« Reply #287 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 00:03:25 »
i found in china the second round has start with no limited number of order, becz i am in singapore so i prefer the group buy in geekhack, for second round, will the order number be limited?
My Precious¬

Offline FreeChemicals

« Reply #288 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 02:25:24 »

As long as you don't trim down the legs of the LED too much they will stay in without a problem

Zeal sent me this picture when I started building my previous board:

Quote from: Zeal
ANOTHER IMPORTANT NOTE! Almost forgot. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you insert the clipped LEDs (cut with flush cutters noting polarity a hair under the two bumps on the legs) INTO THE SIP SOCKET BEFORE SOLDERING. This keeps the pins straight when you solder SIP sockets onto the PCB. If you don't you'll have a hell of a time desoldering. Some people insert a new uncut LED into the SIP to align. I find it silly that you're doing two steps when you can already have the LED installed into the switch! Make sure the 2x3x4mm LEDs are sitting flat inside the indent of the Chery switch. If it's not sitting flat, then it's not all the way in.
Cut on red line

If you cut above the red line, the LEDs are able to fall out of their sockets.

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #289 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 02:28:31 »
ANOTHER IMPORTANT NOTE! Almost forgot. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you insert the clipped LEDs (cut with flush cutters noting polarity a hair under the two bumps on the legs) INTO THE SIP SOCKET BEFORE SOLDERING. This keeps the pins straight when you solder SIP sockets onto the PCB. If you don't you'll have a hell of a time desoldering. Some people insert a new uncut LED into the SIP to align. I find it silly that you're doing two steps when you can already have the LED installed into the switch! Make sure the 2x3x4mm LEDs are sitting flat inside the indent of the Chery switch. If it's not sitting flat, then it's not all the way in.
Cut on red line
Good tip from Zeal, though I would use a piece of wire instead of the LED just to be sure not to damage it by overheating.

Offline Ahkrael

« Reply #290 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 03:00:32 »
Still planning out what I want for the rest of my build.. going with Silver top / Black bottom.  I have a Silverstone micro-ATX case in Titanium Alum, and a Schiit Magni Uber with brushed alum, so the silver should match.  I'm thinking White and Blue for LED options, I find that to be not overly flashy.  Not sure about switch LEDs... I had a CM Quickfire TK with white LEDs and I only used the WASD + Numpad Arrow cluster backlighting option, just to serve as visual anchors for orientation (TK format is a little confusing to orient on, I feel).  Full board LEDs I think are overkill, especially on a beautiful case like this.

For switches, I'm going with the plastic plate, and I have several options for stem/springs.  I have 90 gat browns and 90 gat clears on the way - I should of ordered the blacks, but I have 62g activation weight springs I can swap into the clears, to get a black-esque feel.  I feel like I should grab some real 62g korean springs (I got mine from assdrop - they butchered that spring groupbuy, wasn't even a great price...).  The only other thing I'm missing for an option, are the cherry MX clear stems... I have 1 from a switch-tester, and I loved the clear stem + black spring (panda clears I believe).

Does anyone know a vendor that sells cherry mx Clears (stems or switches) that is actually in stock - or any ETA on MK.com or Zeal?
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 April 2015, 03:02:45 by Ahkrael »

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #291 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 03:06:04 »
Cut on red line
Good tip from Zeal, though I would use a piece of wire instead of the LED just to be sure not to damage it by overheating.
This is what I figured out and did during my build and all 87 led's are fine, even if they weren't they're pretty cheap anyways and you'll always definitely have enough since they're mostly sold in 100's so you'll either have 13 or 90 extra led's to use.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #292 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 03:06:49 »
Does anyone know a vendor that sells cherry mx Clears (stems or switches) that is actually in stock - or any ETA on MK.com or Zeal?

MK.com says 12 months (Cherry lead times are crazy). I recently got a pack of Clears from sprit.

Offline Ahkrael

« Reply #293 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 03:10:00 »

MK.com says 12 months (Cherry lead times are crazy). I recently got a pack of Clears from sprit.
Wow.  Maybe I'll look to order a keyboard with clears and salvage some.. I was thinking to do linears on modifiers anyways.  The pok3r just came out, looks interesting for an alternate board.

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #294 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 05:12:34 »
Really good tips/suggestions here for the novice. Thank you for that!  :thumb:

Plate mounted MX clears seem to be out of stock in most places. PCB mounted MX clears seem to be available at some places, i.e. winkeyless.kr and www.gonskeyboardworks.com

This brings up another question. Looking at the 3D render of the PCB it seems to be prepped for PCB mounted switches. Can anyone confirm? Is there a reason to opt for the plate mounted switches instead of PCB mounted? A PCB mounted switch should work with a plate as long as the PCB has holes for the stems right?

Offline Ahkrael

« Reply #295 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 06:35:53 »
I have a newbie question here - regarding the controller programming.  Is there a custom software to use for this board?  I know GON has a gui, and I've seen others, just wondering what will be compatible with the V2.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #296 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 06:38:02 »
Really good tips/suggestions here for the novice. Thank you for that!  :thumb:

Plate mounted MX clears seem to be out of stock in most places. PCB mounted MX clears seem to be available at some places, i.e. winkeyless.kr and www.gonskeyboardworks.com

This brings up another question. Looking at the 3D render of the PCB it seems to be prepped for PCB mounted switches. Can anyone confirm? Is there a reason to opt for the plate mounted switches instead of PCB mounted? A PCB mounted switch should work with a plate as long as the PCB has holes for the stems right?

PCB mounted switches can have the legs clipped and that will make them the exact same as plate mount.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline FreeChemicals

« Reply #297 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 06:46:06 »
I have a newbie question here - regarding the controller programming.  Is there a custom software to use for this board?  I know GON has a gui, and I've seen others, just wondering what will be compatible with the V2.

I assume the Orion V2 will be added to the O2D KeyMapper, take a look at http://duck0113.tistory.com/category/%E2%98%85Firmware%20Program

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #298 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 07:56:14 »
Elton,

Can I ask where I am on the list?

Offline ph3nomzlol

• Ruckus
« Reply #299 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 08:53:03 »

I assume the Orion V2 will be added to the O2D KeyMapper, take a look at http://duck0113.tistory.com/category/%E2%98%85Firmware%20Program

I do know that Orion (at least V1) is supported by Easy AVR programmer here:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51252.0

I wonder if that support will extend to V2?  Does anyone know if the controller is the same, etc.?