Author Topic: Kinesis Contoured Try & Forward  (Read 44387 times)

Offline sordna

Kinesis Contoured Try & Forward
« on: Fri, 13 January 2012, 13:46:34 »
UPDATE: This little project has ended, the keyboard is no longer travelling around the world, but rather chose to retire :-)
Thanks to everyone that participated.

I have an old Kinesis Contoured keyboard (Model #110, PS/2, Cherry MX browns) that is one too many (I have 5 more recent ones). Several folks PM'd me and asked if they could buy it, take it, or try it. So I thought why not let every Geekhacker try it out?

The idea is to do it similar to the switch try bags... I'll ship the keyboard to the first person. He/she tries it for a couple of weeks, then ships it to the next person. Everyone will receive the keyboard for free, and will just pay the shipping to send it to the next person.

Please sign up here, I'll only do it if there is enough interest (20 people or more) ! Don't send me PM's, just post your interest in this thread. You must be committed to actually try it, and to ship (at your cost, and with tracking # PM'd to me) to the next person. You should also post your experience with it in this thread.

17160-0

List of participants, I'll keep updating it as folks sign up; no cut-off has been decided yet.

• sordna (shipped on 2012-01-17)
  • dorkvader (received on 2012-01-25)
  • Dox (received on 2012-03-02)
  • heuristicist (received on 2012-04-12)
  • Zanth (received on 2012-04-30)
  • 500_pts (received on 2012-06-13)
  • Daniel Beaver (received on 2013-03-28)
  • Quarzac (received on 2013-05-02)
  • shrap (received on 2013-06-14)
  • jrockroll (received on 2013-06-28)
  • kurplop (received on 2013-09-04) --> end of the line!)
  • slueth
  • piken
  • dewcorps
  • Krunchy
  • silent-circuit
  • Roguemaster8
  • Changdrew
  • wiredPANDA
  • jblack801
  • Trent
  • ahjota
  • StaCT13

Note: I reserve the right to rearrange the order depending on special circumstances, acts of nature, international shipping considerations, or bribes I might receive :-)
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 September 2013, 12:00:28 by sordna »
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline ZeroGraVT

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 13 January 2012, 14:32:23 »
This a great idea, but you should ask for a deposit before sending it out otherwise you may never see it again. Also it would be cool if one side has the red switches so people can compare it to the brown. And Ripster should take first dibs!

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 13 January 2012, 15:05:26 »
Ripster already had amongst the first dibs and turned it down... other than that, very nice of you sordna, tho I have no interest.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline sordna

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 13 January 2012, 15:13:56 »
Yeah, Ripster didn't want it. Actually if he changes his mind, whoever has the keyboard should send it to him and that will be the end of the chain! He won it on various occasions, hey, his 50k post award is coming up too :-)

Anyway, I don't need any deposit, but I prefer senior geekhackers to get it first, it'll be safer than starting with folks who have 1 post. BTW, the keyboard is a little beat up, the switches are rather worn, but regardless, the board is clean and works fine! It will give folks a very good idea of the feel, layout, and ergonomics! The keyboard is even programmable! Make sure you have a PS/2 input on your computer (or a USB adapter).
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 January 2012, 15:31:00 by sordna »
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

fossala

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 13 January 2012, 15:38:20 »
Nice idea sordna. Your acting like a drug dealer giving the first hit on the crack pipe for free.

Offline 500_pts

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 13 January 2012, 16:06:01 »
Mark me as interested.

I dont have 50,000 posts to verify my validity, but i promise ive been hanging around since back in '10 :P
REALFORCE 86u | HHKB Pro 2 | Filco TKL| Filco TKL | Leopold TKL | KBT Race

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 14 January 2012, 13:51:14 »
Quote from: 500_pts;489807
Mark me as interested.

I dont have 50,000 posts to verify my validity, but i promise ive been hanging around since back in '10 :P

Yeah, but you have 500_pts, which is probably good enough.
-----
I'm very, very interested!

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
  • Still around, sometimes.
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 14 January 2012, 14:50:21 »
I'm interested as well.
Risen from the dead for a model F.

Wyse buy colors were GSY for the dark grey, GBA for the light grey, and BBI for the fonts.

Offline slueth

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 14 January 2012, 15:29:03 »
Interested, wanted to buy one used but never saw one available to try.  :d.

Offline sordna

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 14 January 2012, 16:36:42 »
Quote from: dorkvader;490385
I'm very, very interested!

Cool, do you think it will be helpful to the ErgoDox project? Hmm, I wonder if DOX has tried a contoured keyboard before.

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 14 January 2012, 16:56:50 »
I'm very interested as well, so mark me down.

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 14 January 2012, 19:04:58 »
Quote from: sordna;490480
Cool, do you think it will be helpful to the ErgoDox project? Hmm, I wonder if DOX has tried a contoured keyboard before.
Beats me, I'd suggest PMing him to see if he wants to borrow the keyboard first. Since the ergoDOX's thumb area is based on the kinesis', I want to compare the spacing/size considerations between the keywells vs. flat, and how they compare to the thumb area.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 14 January 2012, 19:12:02 »
Well, what do you guesstimate US-based shipping to be? I bet that might be a nice thing to know for potentially interested parties.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline Dox

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 14 January 2012, 19:14:36 »
I never tried a contoured keyboard and I would be very interested in trying it, I don't know how much shipping would cost as I'm in Canada but if it's possible, put me on the list!
ErgoDox x2 | DoxKB x2 |   IBM SSK   | HHKB pro2

Offline sordna

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 14 January 2012, 20:32:55 »
DOX, I don't mind the keyboard going abroad, after Dorkvader gets it, he should send it to you since you are collaborating on the ErgoDox project...

Dorkvader, please PM me your mailing info ASAP. Instead of waiting for enough folks to sign up before I ship it out, in the interest of the ErgoDox project I'd like you two to have first dibbs right away. I'll try to ship it Monday or Tuesday at the latest.
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 January 2012, 20:56:19 by sordna »

Offline moogatronic

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 14 January 2012, 21:08:43 »
Quote from: sordna;489691
I have an old Kinesis Contoured keyboard (Model #110, PS/2, Cherry MX browns) that is one too many (I have 5 more recent ones). Several folks PM'd me and asked if they could buy it, take it, or try it. So I thought why not let every Geekhacker try it out?

I'm not interested - I ended up just guessing that all the enthusiasm for this board was true and bought one, but I think your idea is fantastic! It would have saved me a lot of deliberation and worry over a fairly expensive keyboard purchase. It turns out that I love the Advantage more than I could have anticipated... and my enthusiasm here has been edited to not seem annoyingly excessive!

I just found out about the ErgoDox project today and that looks like it addresses the only issues I have with the Kinesis.

Just posting here to give you props for your generosity! My RSI is only mild, the ergo layout isn't strictly required, but I believe that this layout significantly improves *my* human-computer interaction experience. Something to keep in mind if anyone is on the fence about the layout and design. Of course, my impressions are self-subjective, etc..!

Offline sordna

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 14 January 2012, 23:04:23 »
moogatronic, thanks for sharing your thoughts and congrats on the new keyboard!

Folks, it's official, Dorkvader will get the keyboard first, then DOX. I'll ship it sooner rather than later; people can keep signing up.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 16 January 2012, 00:48:34 »
is DOX okay to ship internationally back into the US? (alternatively: are there other canadians who want to sign up that are?)
How long do you want us to keep it? If it's what everyone is saying, I'll have to save up and get one (probably by selling some of by current keyboards :p )

Offline boli

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 16 January 2012, 02:13:22 »
Very kind of you Sordna! I'm doing the same thing at work with my spare (3rd) Kinesis keyboard, because I remember how eager I was to try one out before buying, but didn't have access to one.

Quote from: dorkvader;491438
How long do you want us to keep it? If it's what everyone is saying, I'll have to save up and get one

I guess it it takes a few days to get used to and then a few more days to make you love it and order one or two. My first "victim" at work had it for one week now, I'll have to ask him what he thinks, but I'm expecting at least another trial week...
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 January 2012, 02:24:48 by boli »
Keyboard: Kinesis Ergo Advantage (two LF editions with red Cherry switches, one regular with brown switches)
Keyboard layout: basically Colemak, with some remapping to end up with my custom Kinesis Advantage layout
Typing test profiles: typeracer.com / hi-games.net / keybr.com

Offline In Stereo!

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 16 January 2012, 02:22:05 »
I'd love the idea of having it for a few days or so as I get quickly bored with keyboards, but I'd immagine the shipping costs to Europe would be to high just to try the thing.

Offline sordna

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 16 January 2012, 02:39:10 »
Quote from: boli;491484
Very kind of you Sordna! I'm doing the same thing at work with my spare (3rd) Kinesis keyboard, because I remember how eager I was to try one out before buying, but didn't have access to one.

I can relate, in my case, I saw one of these keyboards used by a contractor at work (many years ago) and had a chance to borrow it for 2-3 days. Right away I could tell this was the board for me and ordered my first (a white Kinesis Classic) with total confidence, and over time bought several more, both new and used ones. Honestly I doubt I would take the plunge on one, had I not experienced the awesomeness first hand!
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 January 2012, 02:59:49 by sordna »

Offline REVENGE

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 16 January 2012, 03:43:25 »
RAWR! Is that my baby? :D
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline sordna

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 16 January 2012, 10:53:40 »
Yes, it's your retrobrighted one with the doublshot keycaps! It's gonna be famous and travel around the world!

Well, N. America at least.
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 January 2012, 11:01:10 by sordna »

Offline REVENGE

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 16 January 2012, 11:50:35 »
Quote from: sordna;491704
Yes, it's your retrobrighted one with the doublshot keycaps! It's gonna be famous and travel around the world!

Well, N. America at least.

HOOORAY!

I apologize beforehand for the ****ty retr0brighting.  Enjoy it though! I spent hours disassembling and cleaning every square inch of it.
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline sordna

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 16 January 2012, 11:55:18 »
Yes, it's VERY clean. Only caveat is the switches are worn cherry browns, so they're a bit scratchy. Probably good candidates for lubing with Deoxit F100 but I haven't got around to buy that lube. Any recipient want to put F100 (that's the only one I would be comfortable with) on the switches, feel free to do so.

Offline kps

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 16 January 2012, 14:15:17 »
Quote from: sordna;491771
Only caveat is the switches are worn cherry browns, so they're a bit scratchy.
Interesting. My 12-year-old KB132 gradually lost most of its tactile bump, but didn't get scratchy. Maybe it's because I ran it through the dishwasher once a year.

Offline sordna

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 16 January 2012, 15:14:40 »
You put the entire keyboard in the dishwasher ???

Offline REVENGE

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 16 January 2012, 16:53:25 »
Quote from: sordna;491834
Haha, did you know that even Matias has a section on their website instructing you how to clean your TP3 in a dishwasher?
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline Dox

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 16 January 2012, 16:57:07 »
Quote from: dorkvader;491438
is DOX okay to ship internationally back into the US? (alternatively: are there other canadians who want to sign up that are?)
How long do you want us to keep it? If it's what everyone is saying, I'll have to save up and get one (probably by selling some of by current keyboards :p )
No problem sending back in the US after my tryout. If there is someone else in Canada it might be worth it to send it to him even if he's not the next on the list if that's ok.
ErgoDox x2 | DoxKB x2 |   IBM SSK   | HHKB pro2

Offline kps

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 16 January 2012, 17:00:33 »
Quote from: sordna;491834

Yes. Take the caps off and put them in a mesh bag to expose the keys. No heated drying — depending on your dishwasher, ABS might not take it. Rinse with distilled water if the tap water isn't nice. Air dry.

Offline sordna

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 16 January 2012, 17:39:07 »
Are you sure getting soapy water inside the switches is a good idea? It would be hard to rinse it completely, not to mention you might wash out any grease they have on the sliders from the factory. And what about water getting inside the keyboard case and electronics? You're pulling my leg obviously.
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 January 2012, 17:42:13 by sordna »

Offline kps

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 16 January 2012, 21:28:11 »
Quote from: sordna;491957
And what about water getting inside the keyboard case and electronics? You're pulling my leg obviously.

Nah. Google 'pcb cleaning dishwasher'.

Offline piken

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 16 January 2012, 21:41:43 »
Quote from: kps;492129
Nah. Google 'pcb cleaning dishwasher'.
I would be interested in the try and forward. I have tried a bunch of MX boards now and have been thinking of trying a Kinesis for a while so put my name in. I would put it as a daily use board for a bit at my work comp (high end programmer, doing 10-20k lines of code a week on avg.)

Offline Lanx

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 01:44:39 »
Cool idea! Advice put away your daily driver for 1 day to force yousef how to type on a kinesiology.
Wtf iPad autocorrect! Kinesis

Offline shrap

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 02:16:11 »
You can add me to the list, although I wonder how long it will take to get used to the layout.

I've seen these kinds of arrangements on other forums, they are called passarounds. Here's an example of their rules for passarounds.

Offline wrtcedar

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 02:30:51 »
Quote from: sordna;489753
Make sure you have a PS/2 input on your computer (or a USB adapter).

I have an extra USB adapter that I could donate to the project. I don't need it now that I've replaced my old PS/2 keyboard with the lovely Kinesis board that I got earlier this month.

Offline sordna

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 18:22:16 »
Quote from: wrtcedar;492259
I have an extra USB adapter that I could donate to the project. I don't need it now that I've replaced my old PS/2 keyboard with the lovely Kinesis board that I got earlier this month.

Thank you so much for offering the adapter, although since you have a Kinesis keyboard, the passaround it won't go through your hands. Hmm, maybe you can send the adapter to dorkvader (if he agrees) so it becomes part of the package ?
Or you can send it later, to whoever recipient doesn't have PS/2 access, and the adapter will become part of the package at that time going forward.

BTW we have the kickoff! The keyboard is on its way to dorkvader, he should have it around Tuesday Jan 24.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 23:36:22 »
Yep! If Dox is okay to ship it back to the US, I'll send it to him next. I have a PS2 adapter, but I need it for my Unicomp, so I can't send it out :p

I'm really excited, and I want to work on my "proper" touchtyping before I get it. ( I don't use my pinkies at all.)

How long did you want me to keep it? A week? A fortnight?

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
  • Still around, sometimes.
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 23:40:06 »
Quote from: dorkvader;493162
Yep! If Dox is okay to ship it back to the US, I'll send it to him next. I have a PS2 adapter, but I need it for my Unicomp, so I can't send it out :p

I'm really excited, and I want to work on my "proper" touchtyping before I get it. ( I don't use my pinkies at all.)

How long did you want me to keep it? A week? A fortnight?
I like you more for using fortnight. Thought you deserved to know. If this was reddit, I'd give you an upvote.
Be sure to let us know what you think of the board, of course. I'm particularly interested to know how it helps your touch typing. I have what is possibly the worlds worst typing style, and would consider investing in one of these boards if it really made a significant difference for someone.
Risen from the dead for a model F.

Wyse buy colors were GSY for the dark grey, GBA for the light grey, and BBI for the fonts.

Offline sordna

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 18 January 2012, 00:26:43 »
The OP says "coupe of weeks" so keeping it for a fortnight is what I would expect!

BTW I was a lousy touch typist (still am on traditional keyboards) but this keyboard really coaxes you into touch typing correctly. I'm now a perfect touch typist on this keyboard! Be ready to break any habits though, if you MUST hit 6 with the left hand, or B with your right, it aint gonna happen!

Offline hoggy

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 21 January 2012, 03:28:40 »
Sordna, This is a brilliant idea.  

Kudos.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline Zanth

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 21 January 2012, 18:02:32 »
Quote from: hoggy;495418
Sordna, This is a brilliant idea.  

Kudos.

This is a brilliant idea and I would like a shot at trying it out.  I ran a similar programme at http://www.head-fi.org

I am not known here, but I am at Head-fi with the same moniker, and I can provide full disclosure of who I am, and am willing to pay into an escrow as extra security.

Offline sordna

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 17:38:17 »
Looks like the keyboard was delivered to dorkvader today!

Offline Barn

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 21:08:34 »
Cool idea! Consider this a bump.

Offline dewcorps

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 22:09:48 »
If possible, I would like to be written onto the list.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 22:44:52 »
Quote from: Zanth;495820
This is a brilliant idea and I would like a shot at trying it out.  I ran a similar programme at http://www.head-fi.org

I am not known here, but I am at Head-fi with the same moniker, and I can provide full disclosure of who I am, and am willing to pay into an escrow as extra security.
Hi there zanth! I've recognize you from head fi!
Quote from: sordna;499017
Looks like the keyboard was delivered to dorkvader today!
Yeah, it came in. I went to an impromptu concert today, and only just got in.

That's gotta be the best job I've ever seen on packaging. Double boxes and everything! When I send it out, I'll probably replace the boxes with nicer ones, though. Thanks for sending the manual.

I'm planning on typing up a sheet to include with it, so people can include their usernames on the list. We'll keep digital records too, but I think it's a good idea to have one in the box. I'll write it up on the selectric later.

Took some "damage photos" of the kinesis. It looks identical to the picture you posted. three minor cracks, I notice there's soap residue on the caps from cleaning. I like the feel.

Haven't plugged it in, but here's a quick impression: the keywells are great! I love how they perfectly follow the finger. it's amazing! This'll really help with my "proper" touchtyping. The thumb clusters are a little "awkward" to my smaller hands, but I got used to the keys there immediately.

Anyway, I'm going to take some crappy cellphone pictures of it in my room (which is messier than an I-spy book) next to my stuff if people want to get an idea of the sizing.

Received: 25 jan. I'll look into sending it out feb 8 ish (Actually, I may be in Houghton, MI for winter carnival, so it might be a bit later, or I can duck over the border for cheap Canada shipping, lol)

Offline sordna

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 25 January 2012, 22:47:47 »
Cool! Please post a pic of the underside of the keyboard too, to show the serial number. Bear in mind the switches are worn/scratchy after 20 years, but you can imagine how great new versions of this board feel with new switches, especially cherry MX reds :-)

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 00:41:18 »
yeah, I can take one (with a phone), but posting pictures is still cumbersome. I'll see about getting some pictures up tomorrow after work. I'm typing on it now. It's hard to get used to in some ways. I keep hitting backspace and capslock by mistake. CTRL is also a little weird where it is.

Offline sordna

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 00:52:50 »
Haha, you are hitting the extra keys because your hands are used to doing large movements. With the matrix layout and bowl shape keys are much closer together than conventional keyboards. Your fingers don't need to move around so much, you'll get used to it, just use it as much as you can!

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 00:02:02 »
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 38720[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 38721[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 38722[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 38723[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 38724[/ATTACH]

So, the images are blurry: it's my phone. You really can't read the serial number. I can maybe convince my roommate to get a picture with his iPod.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 January 2012, 00:10:18 by dorkvader »