Author Topic: R4 Zealio Switch/Zeal60RGB/Zealencio Silencing Clips/Transparent Screw-in Stabs!  (Read 304087 times)

Offline kawasaki161

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
Just a notice for those procrastinating - GB pricing will end Saturday midnight (PST), and be adjusted up a bit to "pre-order pricing". This price will remain until the items are on hand, where Retail pricing will kick in.

Just curious what are the items that will become pre-order pricing? Stab, clips, switches??? Thanks

Everything in the GB - switches, stabs, silencing clips.

If I want to add something can I send you the email? I already place to order few weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Send an email reply to your original confirmation email with details on what you'd like to have added. :)
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
Excuse the subpar pic  :-[

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Show Image

i sorta wish i made it into this one

purple is a good color
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Cotay

Show Image

I'm sorry I missed this as well. But I'm all set for when it comes back as a non-GB offering sometime early next year; I have all parts ready for when this comes back!

Offline Dominathan

• Too many keyboards? Not enough hands.
r
Show Image

It's glorious!

Now I just need a keycap set worthy of such a board. 

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
If anyone needs to cancel their 60% pcb order hit me up :)

Offline Fictiouz

• That "White" Guy
  • "You miss 100% of the shots you take." -S. Trooper
If anyone needs to cancel their 60% pcb order hit me up :)

And anyone after swimmingbird gets one hit me up :)
Halifax, NS Meetup | "I know you'll come back to me, I'm like a good kind of herpes, I'm impossible to get rid of." - 27
67g Zilent V2 M60-A | BKE Redux HHKB Professional 2 | 62g Silent Black Planck | 62g Vint Black Tex Yoda II | Bolt-Modded Model M 1391301

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
I have been fabricating a custom winkeyless style case with a 1.5mm plate with slightly larger cutouts in 3mm acrylic. Zeal, is the footprint of the Transparent Stabilizers on the pcb any larger than that of normal pcb-mount stabilizers?
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
I have been fabricating a custom winkeyless style case with a 1.5mm plate with slightly larger cutouts in 3mm acrylic. Zeal, is the footprint of the Transparent Stabilizers on the pcb any larger than that of normal pcb-mount stabilizers?

The footprint of the transparent stabilizers are a bit larger than regular Cherry pop-in PCB mount stabs due to the extra nut required for the screw.

Here are the dimensions of a sample I recorded with a caliper:

Length - 19.65mm
Width - 6.8mm
Height - 2.73mm(nut end), 3.27mm(wire end) *measured from base that would touch PCB surface to top.

Offline Dominathan

Show Image

Hey Zeal, any reason you went with the age-old USB mini b instead of the sweet new USB-C?  Time? Cost? Inexperience?  All of the above?

Have you/were you toying with the idea?  Maybe Rev1?

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
Show Image

Hey Zeal, any reason you went with the age-old USB mini b instead of the sweet new USB-C?  Time? Cost? Inexperience?  All of the above?

Have you/were you toying with the idea?  Maybe Rev1?

There are a few reasons, and USB C was considered, but eventually not used for the Zeal60.

1) Majority of aftermarket keyboards are designed with Mini USB in mind. Therefore the hole for these cases usually cannot accommodate the large 8.3mm wide connector+rubber exterior housing.
2) A large amount of keyboard enthusiast would prefer to have a matching custom cable for their keyset. As of right now, only one cable vendor is offering USB C sleeved cables. Options for custom sleeved/matching USB C cables are quite limited at this moment.
3) Reducing cable clutter. People that own multiple boards generally will be rotating them in and out. Would you really want to have one mini USB cable, micro USB cable, USB C cable on your desk dangling around?
4) There may be clearance issues with the current left aligned USB port if a USB C female port is used. The female end has a widest point of 11.75mm for its anchors and is 9.75mm long(connector to end). The distance between the switch pin of "Esc" and "1" is only ~9.8mm.

There's no question that USB C is a much superior connector, but it needs some time to mature a bit before everyone shifts over. For custom builds, you can definitely design around USB C, but when going for maximum compatibility like a 60%, it's best to stay with Mini USB.

Offline KetchyKech

• ∴∵∴◇❖◇∴∵∴
In for extras / ppl selling their spots / round 2

Really hoping this fits LUSTRO 60% thats shipping soon :-*
∴∵∴◇Time TKL--VE.A--F&T 1916--Cajal--Octagon v2◇∴∵∴

Offline onmybikedrunk

• Danny Woods - Industrial Designer
I got in a day too late... Got my switches and stabs but I missed the Zeal 60.  Zeal, if you get any cancellations or simply have an extra laying around, hit up an old long time customer (**cough cough, me.**).

Also, If anyone wants to sell me this glorious PCB, I would happily make it profitable for you.

Offline Dominathan

There are a few reasons, and USB C was considered, but eventually not used for the Zeal60.

1) Majority of aftermarket keyboards are designed with Mini USB in mind. Therefore the hole for these cases usually cannot accommodate the large 8.3mm wide connector+rubber exterior housing.
2) A large amount of keyboard enthusiast would prefer to have a matching custom cable for their keyset. As of right now, only one cable vendor is offering USB C sleeved cables. Options for custom sleeved/matching USB C cables are quite limited at this moment.
3) Reducing cable clutter. People that own multiple boards generally will be rotating them in and out. Would you really want to have one mini USB cable, micro USB cable, USB C cable on your desk dangling around?
4) There may be clearance issues with the current left aligned USB port if a USB C female port is used. The female end has a widest point of 11.75mm for its anchors and is 9.75mm long(connector to end). The distance between the switch pin of "Esc" and "1" is only ~9.8mm.

There's no question that USB C is a much superior connector, but it needs some time to mature a bit before everyone shifts over. For custom builds, you can definitely design around USB C, but when going for maximum compatibility like a 60%, it's best to stay with Mini USB.

Wow man, thanks for the quick response!  I asked, and you over-delivered.  You definitely thought this through. :D

#1) It's going to take the Poker to switch to C before we get that extra bit of space.  It can only be a matter of time.
#4) It seems some of the receptacles (top-mount) fit the anchors within 9.2mm http://www.alysium-tech.com/downloads/products/usb-connectors/a46-4825.pdf. But that one is pretty long to make up for it.  Again, it looks like we're going to need to see a change in the form factor, which just goes back to 1. 

Come on Poker!  Give us some sweet USB-C goodness!  I say them simply because their brand is the most well-known, and their market share (of 60% keyboards)

Offline tofgerl

Besides the old "no other devices use USB-mini connectors, so it's just an extra cable lying around" argument, which is only true if you don't actually use your keyboards, what benefits exist with USB-C?

Offline pomk

Besides the old "no other devices use USB-mini connectors, so it's just an extra cable lying around" argument, which is only true if you don't actually use your keyboards, what benefits exist with USB-C?
It is a more robust connector, especially when compared to the deprecated mini-b.

Offline Fictiouz

• That "White" Guy
  • "You miss 100% of the shots you take." -S. Trooper
It is a more robust connector, especially when compared to the deprecated mini-b.

Yeah Mini and Micro have very small lifespans when looking at the insertion/detachment ratings comparatively to USB-C
Halifax, NS Meetup | "I know you'll come back to me, I'm like a good kind of herpes, I'm impossible to get rid of." - 27
67g Zilent V2 M60-A | BKE Redux HHKB Professional 2 | 62g Silent Black Planck | 62g Vint Black Tex Yoda II | Bolt-Modded Model M 1391301

Offline MandrewDavis

The footprint of the transparent stabilizers are a bit larger than regular Cherry pop-in PCB mount stabs due to the extra nut required for the screw.

Here are the dimensions of a sample I recorded with a caliper:

Length - 19.65mm
Width - 6.8mm
Height - 2.73mm(nut end), 3.27mm(wire end) *measured from base that would touch PCB surface to top.
Many thanks!

My Classifieds Thread

Offline dougp

Zeal, when will I get an update on my order?  I paid through PayPal and haven't seen anything in regards to it.

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
Zeal, when will I get an update on my order?  I paid through PayPal and haven't seen anything in regards to it.

All updates are posted on the second post of the front page here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=84248.msg2246529#msg2246529

I provided an update on Oct 20 saying Zealios will ship from Gateron on Nov 15, with Silencing clips / stabilizers on Nov 21. Will re-ship all the orders as soon as the bulk shipment comes in. The pre-order listing on my site also provides the same dates and timelines.

Offline dougp

All updates are posted on the second post of the front page here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=84248.msg2246529#msg2246529

I provided an update on Oct 20 saying Zealios will ship from Gateron on Nov 15, with Silencing clips / stabilizers on Nov 21. Will re-ship all the orders as soon as the bulk shipment comes in. The pre-order listing on my site also provides the same dates and timelines.

Thanks, I just wasn't sure if any emails had gone out.  I've had issues with other vendors in the past where purchases through PayPal tend to not receive communications through storefronts.  I just wanted to verify.

Offline pmck

• Software Engineer

Ugh the struggle of this wait is real

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

|        IBM M         |      Wasd V1      |   GH60    | KBC Poker | GHPAD |

WANTED:Nada have all I want for now!

Offline olieatstofu

Ugh the struggle of this wait is real

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'm quite fortunate that I decided to order a planck with the updated revision pcb and case.

Should mean everything arrives around the last week of November (fingers crossed at least!)

Offline Dominathan

Do you have an estimate on the PCB?  How did the prototype turn out?

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.

Do you have an estimate on the PCB?  How did the prototype turn out?

Prototype is great, I just built it up on Saturday. Only took a few potatoes on Sunday. Will provide a Halloween themed photoshoot & maybe typing video in the morning. :)

Working on getting an estimate for PCB. Expect to have it around later half of November as well.

Teaser for the time being:
« Last Edit: Mon, 31 October 2016, 03:32:32 by Zeal »

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
Taste the rainbow

Offline Malenky

Taste the rainbow

Show Image

They shipped?

Offline Petch

I recall you saying all orders are shipped out with a low value ($10?) marked on them - is there any way to get that marked as a gift too?

Cheers

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
Taste the rainbow

Show Image

They shipped?

Yes. To him only, obviously. (Wilba's my partner and helped design the PCB :) )
I recall you saying all orders are shipped out with a low value ($10?) marked on them - is there any way to get that marked as a gift too?

Cheers

Gift isn't available for commercial shippers. $10 declaration should be enough, considering shipping price isn't printed on the label, if that's one of your worries.

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
Pumpkin theme!

Backlit spacebar stabilizers are going to be the next big thing :cool:

Actual purple underglow effect. Usually UV purple LEDs are very dim, this came out nicely.

Offline nickzrs

so what case are people planning on running with this board?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
for **** sake why didn't I pick one of these PCBs up :'(

great work zeal

Offline rawrjau

• Stop making nice things so I can stop spending

For now, the iQunix Lambo, until I see something really nice that is available for us in silver!

Offline MandrewDavis

Love the illumination of the stabilizers, very nice touch.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline Dominathan

Taste the rainbow

Show Image

~swoon~

I picked up a silver low profile from Massdrop , but I've been thinking about getting something Gold to match the pimpedness of the stabs. Like this

But the Infinity could look really cool
« Last Edit: Mon, 31 October 2016, 22:56:31 by Dominathan »

Offline Dominathan

Pumpkin theme!
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Actual purple underglow effect. Usually UV purple LEDs are very dim, this came out nicely.
Show Image

Could you take a pic with some shine-through caps?  I'd like to see how well the light diffuses throughout the body of the switches

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
Pumpkin theme!
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Could you take a pic with some shine-through caps?  I'd like to see how well the light diffuses throughout the body of the switches

I don't own any of those shine through lettered caps. Everything is either GMK, EnjoyPBT, or Cherry Dyesub. :|

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder

I don't own any of those shine through lettered caps. Everything is either GMK, EnjoyPBT, or Cherry Dyesub. :|

1st world keyboard problems

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
Just cycling through some RGB

Offline nugglets

Looking good! Any details on the firmware yet? And what about per-key programming?

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
Looking good! Any details on the firmware yet? And what about per-key programming?

Working on GUI...

Zeal60 is QMK/TMK compatible. You can build your own firmware and set individual keys as desired. Right now everything you see has been done with TMK.

Offline Dominathan

I'll mail you some.  PM me your address

Offline Dominathan

Working on GUI...

Zeal60 is QMK/TMK compatible. You can build your own firmware and set individual keys as desired. Right now everything you see has been done with TMK.

Do you mean programming the LED colors, or the keys/functions?

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.

Working on GUI...

Do you mean programming the LED colors, or the keys/functions?

Both.

Btw, forgot I had some stock ducky abs caps in a drawer. Will take some pics in the morning.

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.

Generic thin UV ABS Ducky Shine 3 keycaps. I'd expect doubleshot shine through ABS caps to glow better.
Bottom row is flipped to show the difference.

Offline kyles

Is it possible to switch weights on zealios switches for an order without paying extra at this point or is it too late? (Ordered a while ago during the group buy phase)

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
Is it possible to switch weights on zealios switches for an order without paying extra at this point or is it too late? (Ordered a while ago during the group buy phase)

Would depend on availability of said weight. Send me a PM with your name & order #. Or you can email me directly by replying to the confirmation email with the weight you want swapped to. I'll see what I can do. :)

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
Zeal, for the shipping date, I think you're expecting to get the switches after the 15th and the stabs after the 21st. Since I had both in my order I'm using the 21st as my marker, but it's going to take you some time to sort through and ship out right? I ask because that's Thanksgiving break and I won't be at my shipping address until the following week. Thanks.

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
Zeal, for the shipping date, I think you're expecting to get the switches after the 15th and the stabs after the 21st. Since I had both in my order I'm using the 21st as my marker, but it's going to take you some time to sort through and ship out right? I ask because that's Thanksgiving break and I won't be at my shipping address until the following week. Thanks.

Yeah, delivery should take 2-3 days from day of shipment. Depending on when the shipment comes, I may have the weekend to sort through a few hundred to get those out asap. As for your delivery date, it would depend on how far you are in queue. The first orders started around 45xx. Goal is to get 50-100 boxes out a day, more over the weekends. If you think your order would be coming in around Thanksgiving break, send me a PM with your order # and I'll leave a little note to hold delivery until a certain date.