Author Topic: KBC Poker Engraved White PBT Keys  (Read 3011 times)

Offline ViciousXUSMC

• http://www.ViciousComputers.com
KBC Poker Engraved White PBT Keys
« on: Thu, 25 August 2011, 16:56:40 »
Just curious about something.

Need help deciding on key type to get for the KBC Poker group buy.

I know I want the white PBT keys, but not sure if I want blank or engraved.

In general I really like blank keys, I got a Das Ultimate and just love the look (and feel) of blank keys and have no issues at all typing without labels (well exception being starcraft 2 trying to hit Alt+Numbers because I am not using standard touch typing)

So the main reason I thought blank may be bad for the Poker is because it has many dual function keys and the label would help me know what the alt function is.  Now though I am second guessing myself because I wonder if engraved keys (especially white) would over time start to pick up oil/dirt/crud inside the engraved area.  I am a super clean computer user, I never touch my keyboards without clean hands but there is always just regular stuff that falls into keys or rubs off your fingers.

So is this a valid concern of mine or is that not really going to happen as long as I keep my hands & keys clean?

What would you guys go for?  Is it easy enough to memorize all the Poker Fn shifted keys?

I appreciate the feedback!

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 31 August 2011, 17:11:30 »
Being European, if all goes well, I'll be getting mine via Deskthority, if we meet the minimum order quantity to get the keyboard retooled for ISO. The problem with ISO is that there are so many countries and so many logical layouts, so I've suggested a compromise of blank keytops, and printed key fronts: it would be like a more stealthy Ninja, with front-printed keys but showing only the Fn legend, not the letters and symbols.

I don't like blank keyboards personally – they look daft, but this would be a better aesthetic middle ground, I feel.

For the ANSI Pokers, I'm a bit disappointed – their printed legends look garish, and the engraved caps are going to be nuisance to read off the Fn layer. Nothing now can beat FILCO in terms of legend aesthetics, but this comes at the price of wear! (I also like the older Apple European legend style with the narrow italic face and elegant symbols instead of names for the meta keys, but Apple can't make a worthwhile keyboard to save their lives any more.)

Hopefully if we get the half-way design, ANSI users will all be jealous for a change ;-) I will be a bit annoyed now if KBC only offer national legends – I want my super Ninja layout!
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline 443330

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 13 January 2012, 18:14:56 »
Hey, that sounds very interested, I would love Blank top PBT caps for the KBC Poker but with engraving on the front.
Is this going to happen?

Offline emptythecache

• out.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 14 January 2012, 06:37:23 »
The poker group buy ended, I'm pretty sure.