Author Topic: Steelseries 7g Replacement key caps.  (Read 12362 times)

Offline Rezr

Steelseries 7g Replacement key caps.
« on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 01:44:25 »
Hey guys, I realise there is a lot of threads about this keyboard - but my wasd, tab, and a lot of other left hand keys have worn off within 2 weeks of purchase :/
I was looking through the forum for a replacement keycap set but couldn't really settle on any. Does anyone have links of websites that stock the weird keyboard layout?
It needs large enter key and small backspace, I can only find normal backspace sized keycap sets from wasdkeyboards and was hoping to replace all keys.
Thank you.

Offline zulios

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 02:12:21 »
Its layout is so special that you probably only have three options : going for blanks, ordering from group buy round four in the group buys forum (ending soon btw), or taking the caps from another cherry MX compatible board with similar layout (not that easy to find probably).

I personally think you should give a try to GB round four,  7bit is doing really good ; prices are high and it's for sure a bit of a turnoff, but at least the caps will be durable. You won't get many opportunities for double shots in that layout also.

Tipro matrix - mx black

Offline Rezr

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 02:17:51 »
Quote from: zulios;483648
Its layout is so special that you probably only have three options : going for blanks, ordering from group buy round four in the group buys forum (ending soon btw), or taking the caps from another cherry MX compatible board with similar layout (not that easy to find probably).

I personally think you should give a try to GB round four,  7bit is doing really good ; prices are high and it's for sure a bit of a turnoff, but at least the caps will be durable. You won't get many opportunities for double shots in that layout also.

Thanks for your help and were you referring to this thread: showthread.php?20485-Double-shot-replacements-ROUND-FOUR! (wont let me link)
Do I just ask for SS 7g double shot replacement keys? Sorry I don't completely understand how this works because I see their layouts have normal sized backspace.

Offline kaen

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 03:21:07 »
As a last resort you could contact steelseries, they might replace them or let you buy a set, but then again if they wore off so quick i wouldn't want to pay money for those.

Offline Rezr

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 03:34:56 »
Yeah I don't think I'll pay for these keys such a joke how quickly they wore off, ill contact them and try get some kind of replacement.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 04:02:21 »
You can get a regular set of caps to work you just wont have the big enter and will need 2 extra R4 caps if u wanted u could even get custom legends from WASD.

Offline Rezr

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 04:37:27 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;483682
You can get a regular set of caps to work you just wont have the big enter and will need 2 extra R4 caps if u wanted u could even get custom legends from WASD.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keycap-sets/87-key-laser-engraved-cherry-mx-keycap-set.html

Will this set work or is the infrastructure underneath the keys made as to not fit a normal sized backspace/enter combo?

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 04:42:32 »
The big L enter will take a notmal enter but you will have to order 2 extra R4 keys for backspace and backslash i would also recommended a 104 set and a color other than black.

Offline Rezr

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 04:52:13 »
Thank you for your help TheProfisist i may purchase this set - http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keycap-sets/104-key-laser-engaved-cherry-mx-keycap-set.html

Why do you recommend a different colour than black? The blue looks like it would be ok I may grab those.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 04:56:59 »
Quote from: Rezr;483710
Thank you for your help TheProfisist i may purchase this set - http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keycap-sets/104-key-laser-engaved-cherry-mx-keycap-set.html

Why do you recommend a different colour than black? The blue looks like it would be ok I may grab those.

Because in the past the etch did wear a bit on the wasd he changed the lazer to make it better but it still wears a bit where the etch on the other colors doesent. Just so u know that blue is brigh and the low cotrast between the etch and the key cap. He should have some pics on his website

Offline RiGS

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 08:39:18 »
Check this group buy.
These are fully compatible with the 7G.
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline zulios

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 09:44:06 »
Quote from: Rezr;483650
Thanks for your help and were you referring to this thread: showthread.php?20485-Double-shot-replacements-ROUND-FOUR! (wont let me link)
Do I just ask for SS 7g double shot replacement keys? Sorry I don't completely understand how this works because I see their layouts have normal sized backspace.

That's indeed the group buy I was reffering to.
If you want to take a look at the styles available, prices, and procedure for ordering all info is in this wiki :
http://deskthority.net/wiki/Doubleshot_Replacements_Round_4
They will be more expensive than the GB Rigs linked to however, please keep that in mind.
If you have questions or difficulties ordering, you can post any questions in the dedicated thread :)

Tipro matrix - mx black