Author Topic: I Think Geekhack Needs A Key Reference Wiki  (Read 2782 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
I Think Geekhack Needs A Key Reference Wiki
« on: Wed, 21 December 2011, 21:57:33 »
Allow me to re-phrase several of my comments/requests.

More than 95% of my questions are surely answered somewhere within the labyrinth of wikis found here.

Sometimes getting a drink from a firehose is so overwhelming that you can't even get started.

I will begin working on the simplified source list that I am hoping for, in the expectation that it will also help someone in a similar position.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline kps

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 24 December 2011, 13:10:47 »
Many of the titles are pretty bad. Articles about keycaps shouldn't just say ‘keys’. ‘All about key[cap]s’ isn't all if there's also a ‘Key[cap] reference’.

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 24 December 2011, 13:22:23 »
Quote from: ripster;473946

Oh wait, it's not.  It's below the Wiki tab.  The one below the two EEs in geekhack.  Says Wiki.
Show Image

This picture confuses me. I mean... which arrow am I supposed to follow? And... and... when I look at that page in my browser, there are no arrows! What's going on here??  :wacko:

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 24 December 2011, 13:26:49 »
You forgot the arrows.

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 24 December 2011, 13:30:06 »
Try harder next time.

(No, seriously - your Wikis are a fine thing.)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 26 December 2011, 08:51:25 »
Maybe my understanding level is monumentally more simplistic and ignorant than the wikis give me credit for.

Considering Cherry switches, the wiki refers to "L" series and "H" series keys.

I can safely assume, for example, that if I see the letter "L" in the model number, such as "G83-6716LQAUS" then I am looking at a lasered, PS2, 101/102 key, and I won't worry about the last 2 letters.

I get that it might be marked using one of about 3 or more different techniques, and that any time I see the letter "L" in the model number, I can more or less trust it to be so.

So, while it indicates that these are "compatible" it also hints at compatibility problems (too tight, too lose, won't click down firmly, etc) that I would like to avoid.

That understanding alone would be very helpful, but I have not seen it specifically stated, probably because it is such basic "common knowledge" to people "in the know" ......

For the immediate question, I am just looking to know what boards are worth buying on the cheap strictly for the purpose of harvesting a good set of replacement keys.
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 December 2011, 09:06:29 by fohat.digs »
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 26 December 2011, 12:10:58 »
Quote from: ripster;477915
But I'm wiki'd out.

How could you not be? 4201 Wiki entries?? Holy WikiGeekia, Batman!

I don't know how you can make nearly 50,000 posts and 4201 Wiki entries (in less than 3 years!) and still have a family.

(...well... probably 30,000 of those posts are lego pictures and weirdo YouTube videos, but still...)

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 26 December 2011, 13:14:17 »
Yes.

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 26 December 2011, 13:14:47 »
Quite.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 27 December 2011, 21:12:11 »
So I ordered a cheap Cherry G83-6107CHEU-0 online.

From the information in the wiki, I can't really suss out what the specs are, but I am trusting that it will have MX-compatible caps, and I am hoping that the "H" means doubleshots even though it seems to be in the wrong position.

If it is an interesting board that I can try on its own merits, even better.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 27 December 2011, 21:24:30 »
Sorry dude, only G80 and G81 series keyboards from Cherry have MX-compatible key caps.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 28 December 2011, 08:23:33 »
See, that is just what I am talking about.

This is a fundamental piece of knowledge that everybody "in the know" already knows, but the rest of us have to throw away good money to find it out.

If that is stated clearly in the wikis somewhere, I obviously missed it.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 29 December 2011, 00:35:44 »
Quote from: fohat.digs;478908
See, that is just what I am talking about.

This is a fundamental piece of knowledge that everybody "in the know" already knows, but the rest of us have to throw away good money to find it out.

If that is stated clearly in the wikis somewhere, I obviously missed it.

I dunno: I read most of the wiki's right after I joined: there's a lot of good information, but it's pretty spread out sometime. I remembered that everyone is after cherry MX, which is on their G80 keyboards. Everyone hates MY which is G81 (though the keycaps are interchangeable) and the G84 is ML: small keyboards, and low travel.

You can also guess based on cherry's switch lifetime estimates: RD's are usually quoted at 20,000,000 or less.

Or, y'know, ask here. I'm sure someone will help out (if you can ignore persons being unhelpful)

The quickest way to learn is by reading all the wiki's with interesting titles or (in a desperate case) browsing Ripster's signature post.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 03 January 2012, 17:08:15 »
last time I checked, you had a wiki for your post, but your signature actually linked to that post in your subforum. That's why I sad "signature post", as it is in your signature style. Bit of a double meaning there.