Author Topic: [IC] Viktus Styrka By Viktus Design - GB thread open  (Read 22620 times)

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
[IC] Viktus Styrka By Viktus Design - GB thread open
« on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 13:57:45 »
Viktus Styrka
By
Viktus Design

256111-0

Specifications:

• Top Mount
• 65% + Left Macros
• 8 degree board angle
• QMK and VIA support
• MX and PCB mount stabs
• 19.7mm front edge height
• ARM STM32F072CBT6 mcu
• Universal daughterboard (type-c)
• ESD protection on the daughterboard and PCB
• ~3Kg for the boards with case and plate. Brass being heavier than SS by a little bit.
• Designed in collaboration with OneCreativeMind, who came up with a beautiful idea that lead to where we are today.

Who is Viktus Design?

As you can tell from my username I am BlindAssassin111 and Viktus Design from here on out is the name I will be using for sales. After a few years working on personal projects without a brand and making keyboards and keysets with TheKey.Company I have decided to go on my own to pursue my own vision for my boards.

If you aren't familiar with my work offhand, I have worked on quite a few things including Nexus Alps Sliders, TKC M0llY, TKC CandyBar, TKC1800, OSA, Crown, SP-111, GodSpeed75, Bacca60/Squid60, TKC Switch Opener, GMK Night Runner, GMK Nightshade, GMK Skyline, and more.

Viktus Design is inspired by Scandinavian automakers and the desire to create functional art. All of the board names are in Swedish and are chosen from quality traits, Styrka meaning strength. All boards are named with a leading Viktus as a call back to the name, and automakers as I mentioned, so the official name for this board is Viktus Styrka, but can be shortened to Styrka.

The board designs are not simple, as I didn't confine myself to features that were the easiest and cheapest to make. At the same time they aren't too busy and I hope that a lot of you will enjoy the designs to come.

More Viktus Styrka Info:

• Color options:
    • Wine with E-Black brass rear accent, weight and plate
    • Blue with sandblasted brass rear accent, weight and plate
    • Night sky with sandblasted stainless steel rear accent, weight and plate

• Timeline:
    • Group buy opens January 25th at Noon CST and closes on February 28th at 11:59pm CST
    • My goal is to have these in customers hands in Q3 2021, but subject to change.

• Pricing:
    • Blue w/Brass: $710
    • Wine w/E-Black Brass: $725
    • Night Sky w/Stainless Steel: $740
    • Extra PCBs and plates will be available.

• Quantity:
    • MOQ of 80, with a limit of 300.

Layout Support:

256143-1

ISO enter and left shift are supported on the PCB but not the included plate, I will make the plate files available later on after the buy to allow you to get custom ones made. Sorry for the inconvenience but ISO + ANSI cutouts are a no go.

Prototype Pictures:

256113-2

256116-3

More
256119-4

256122-5

256125-6

256128-7

256134-8

Special Thanks:

• OneCreativeMind for coming up with the beautiful design initially and being there along the way to help make this come to reality. Without him this venture wouldn't be possible, so if you see him around please remember to thank him for being an awesome person and friend.

• jrfhoutx for the pain in the ass firmware work that is ARM in QMK along with feedback.

• MetallicCharles for the renders and support with the board for this whole time.

• HamKenobi for the amazing pictures of the prototypes that grace this post.

More
256138-9

He put a picture of his cat in the board pictures by accident and it is too cute to not share so enjoy.  ;D

Updates:

To follow the project you can keep up with this thread, my website www.Viktus.Design or via the Viktus Design discord server where I will be most active and where all raffles will be held (in a separate server for verification purposes)

Discord invite: https://discord.com/invite/4w6aUKb

IC Form: https://forms.gle/Ud36u4Z9ZCaouiZt6

- December 17th, 2020
More
Great news, The GB will be opening on January 25th at noon cst and close February 28th at 11:59pm!!!

All pricing is staying the same as what the OP shows. As well there will be extra plates and PCBs available for purchase.

Please share this with as many people as you can so we can hit MOQ!!!

- December 4, 2020
More
I have updated pricing and have decided to move forward with the Viktus Styrka!

Pricing is as follows: (subject to change)
- Blue w/Brass: $710
- Wine w/E-Black: $725
- Night Sky w/SS: $740

MOQ is 80, and I will set a limit at 300 as I won't be able to handle more at this time.

Extra plates and PCBs will be available for purchase but no other parts of the case as that adds too much to my workload as a single person.

Now I understand it might be a bit pricy but after seeing that other quotes compared to this time last year have gone up by 33% due to the increase in raw material pricing and other factors beyond my control, it is just something we will have to live with for now. I am sorry if I got your hopes up for a lower price, but I would rather make this board a reality than let it die because of pricing. Don't take this as me trying to make a ton of money, because I am not at all, the boards just cost that much more.

Plan for a January launch is still on, so please spread the word to help make this a reality!

- November 26, 2020
More
I have made some big changes in an effort to help bring the cost down. When I made the IC I was estimating a mid $500 price tag (going off of previous quotes) and was waiting for the updated quote for quantity and it came up higher than that just to make them so...trying to see if it is possible to get back down with the new revisions and if not, I will need to further reevaluate the design before moving forward.

Current changes include the change to top mount in order to try and reduce the size of the bottom half of the case and therefore cost of material and machining time. As well the redesign of the top, bottom and rear accent...yes I just redid it all. From the outside you will not easily be able to tell a difference which is my goal but there are some minor changes in how the parts meet up.

With this revision there is a chance I switch away from the stainless steel and replace with anodized aluminum or maybe switch to an e-coat as the SS parts are noticeably more expensive and that might deter people from getting it. This might not happen but wanted to let y'all know the update.

Hopefully no one was set on the exact mount from before but the only difference is the side the screw goes on, the plate is identical.
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 January 2021, 12:33:26 by BlindAssassin111 »

Offline jrfhoutx

• Post count is meaningless if the content is trash.
Re: [IC] Viktus Styrka By Viktus Design
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 14:04:37 »
nice

Offline ocm

• Formerly OneCreativeMind
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 14:04:58 »
neat

Offline Ahngel

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 14:10:54 »
I like this rectangle

Offline Capsy

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 14:15:32 »
Nice

Offline Workglove27

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 14:16:47 »
Will this buy be done through TKC like your other boards or through another vendor/you will be running the buy.

Offline rclewright

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 14:20:56 »
BA good

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 14:22:46 »
Will this buy be done through TKC like your other boards or through another vendor/you will be running the buy.

From here on out I will not run products through TKC, I am doing all of it myself now.

Offline walletburner

• Formerly wokechill
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 15:04:29 »
very nice.  ;D glws!

Offline HoodrowThrillson

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 15:09:22 »
I love OCM
[Mostly] Retired from Keyboards
Typing on: TKL One - Zealios v1 - 55g TX Springs, TX Films, Lubed with 205g0 - Xiami Beige Cadet + RGB
Collection: IDB60 (gone), Austere (gone), Matrix 1.2og (gone), Matrix 2.0add (gone), RS (so lit), Infinitum (gone), THRILL Proto (destroyed), Matrix 2.0add xmas Starry Night (gone), RS60 (traded), MC65 (traded), Jane v1 CE (gone), GSKT-00 (gone), TKL One Poly (returned), TKL One, RS60, Serenity Proto, Boulevard Proto

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 15:18:50 »
I love OCM

He is the absolute best.

EDIT: He is also engraved on the inside of the case so...if you love OCM then you kinda need to buy styrka  ;D
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 November 2020, 15:28:27 by BlindAssassin111 »

Offline Chromavoid

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 15:29:58 »

From here on out I will not run products through TKC, I am doing all of it myself now.
Bravo. This greatly increases the chances of me participating.

Offline chanchan

• atxkb
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 15:39:39 »
oh man that wine and e-black combo

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 16:24:20 »
You make em I buy em

How far is the blue from SP-111 blue?

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 16:26:24 »
You make em I buy em

How far is the blue from SP-111 blue?

Quite different blues, the SP-111 blue is noticeably lighter.

Offline 7empest

• ༼ つ ◕ ◕ ༽つ
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 16:51:37 »

Bravo. This greatly increases the chances of me participating.

Absolutely agreed!

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 19:47:23 »
Very nice! GLWIC.

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 19:52:56 »
Good to see you breaking off and doing your own thing, best move you could have made.  GLWIC  :thumb:
Ion | Keycult | Instagram

Offline yoniwolf1202

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 20:01:49 »
Love the design. Would love to see a shot of the inside with the plate off. GLWIC

Offline Ashen_21

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 22:19:15 »
Nice!

Offline The.Ryan.Gamer

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 06:36:35 »
Man, this is a great design. I'm going to look out for it. I also hope nightshade GB goes live soon.

Question, is the "Pen Holder" (sorry i dunno what it's called) set in stone? I mean kinda dumb question because you already have protos, but just asking.

Offline xanserkx

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 08:17:59 »
Nice design. Kinda dig this
AIS65 - Merisi Ottantaquatro - Rama Zenith - Emery65 - TGR Tomo - Hex 4B - Cablecar Design Angel - Hand Engineering Haus - TX HJ75 - Parallel Limited Portal

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 11:04:47 »
Man, this is a great design. I'm going to look out for it. I also hope nightshade GB goes live soon.

Question, is the "Pen Holder" (sorry i dunno what it's called) set in stone? I mean kinda dumb question because you already have protos, but just asking.

The pen rail is not going, that is one of the main features of this board.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 26 November 2020, 20:40:55 »
Update:

I have made some big changes in an effort to help bring the cost down. When I made the IC I was estimating a mid $500 price tag (going off of previous quotes) and was waiting for the updated quote for quantity and it came up higher than that just to make them so...trying to see if it is possible to get back down with the new revisions and if not, I will need to further reevaluate the design before moving forward.

Current changes include the change to top mount in order to try and reduce the size of the bottom half of the case and therefore cost of material and machining time. As well the redesign of the top, bottom and rear accent...yes I just redid it all. From the outside you will not easily be able to tell a difference which is my goal but there are some minor changes in how the parts meet up.

With this revision there is a chance I switch away from the stainless steel and replace with anodized aluminum or maybe switch to an e-coat as the SS parts are noticeably more expensive and that might deter people from getting it. This might not happen but wanted to let y'all know the update.

Hopefully no one was set on the exact mount from before but the only difference is the side the screw goes on, the plate is identical.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 22:30:17 »
Update:

Unfortunately the changes I made weren't able to bring the board down into the range I was hoping for, and to be feasible as is the board would need to be roughly $750 for the kit. Being 50% above my goal is not something I want and I am not sure exactly what I am going to do now.

Given that price I know most people would pass and because of that I might have to put this project on hold for a bit while I work on how to make something similar in design but more reasonable price wise. It seems I was a bit ambitious with the design of this board and jumped the gun assuming it would be inline with the cost of the boards I have done in the past.

I am sorry to get everyone's hopes up only to have the board be well above the estimate for price. I will be trying to figure out what to do about this in the meantime, if you have suggestions please let me know and I will keep them in mind when deciding where to go from here.

Offline n.rdy

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 23:19:17 »
nice

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 04 December 2020, 11:38:34 »
Update:

I have updated pricing and have decided to move forward with the Viktus Styrka!

Pricing is as follows: (subject to change)
- Blue w/Brass: $710
- Wine w/E-Black: $725
- Night Sky w/SS: $740

MOQ is 80, and I will set a limit at 300 as I won't be able to handle more at this time.

Extra plates and PCBs will be available for purchase but no other parts of the case as that adds too much to my workload as a single person.

Now I understand it might be a bit pricy but after seeing that other quotes compared to this time last year have gone up by 33% due to the increase in raw material pricing and other factors beyond my control, it is just something we will have to live with for now. I am sorry if I got your hopes up for a lower price, but I would rather make this board a reality than let it die because of pricing. Don't take this as me trying to make a ton of money, because I am not at all, the boards just cost that much more.

Plan for a January launch is still on, so please spread the word to help make this a reality!

Offline woyaodapian

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 05 December 2020, 00:10:53 »
Keen on the design, but the price is way too high. Can understand the cost of material driving up the price but perhaps could have choose a cheaper standard variant.

Will look forward to R2 at better price point. Glwgb!

Offline Havattack

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 06 December 2020, 23:35:35 »
I like the design, and i wouldn't mind paying 750$ if it was one of my favorite ever or something.. but i just don't like it enough to pay that. Sorry, but i do wish you good luck with your buy.
Keebs work like this for me:
2-300$ - I like a lot, seems more than fair.
500$- Getting up there for me.
750$ - Better be the best god damn thing ever.
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 December 2020, 23:37:49 by Havattack »

Offline Ram

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 07 December 2020, 00:10:42 »
Really clean design, excited to see how this turns out

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 22:16:39 »
Update:

GB update coming this week! Waiting on one last bit before I can do so.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
Re: [IC] Viktus Styrka By Viktus Design - GB Launching January 25th at Noon CST!
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 12:47:17 »
Update:

Great news, The GB will be opening on January 25th at noon cst and close February 28th at 11:59pm!!!

All pricing is staying the same as what the OP shows. As well there will be extra plates and PCBs available for purchase.

Please share this with as many people as you can so we can hit MOQ!!!

Tune into the build stream on Mechs On Deck this saturday at 2PM CST!!!
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 December 2020, 12:58:14 by BlindAssassin111 »

Offline Havattack

Re: [IC] Viktus Styrka By Viktus Design - GB Launching January 25th at Noon CST!
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 31 December 2020, 23:17:43 »
In desperate need of more renders.... I can not make up my mind.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
In desperate need of more renders.... I can not make up my mind.

No renders here  ;)

But if you want more pictures there is a larger album here: https://imgur.com/a/xGxgAwL

Offline Havattack

Sorry, i should of said "Needs renders." not needs more.  Thanks for the link, (and taking the time to respond) but I've seen those all ready. I just really  want to see what it looks like with some keycaps...

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
Sorry, i should of said "Needs renders." not needs more.  Thanks for the link, (and taking the time to respond) but I've seen those all ready. I just really  want to see what it looks like with some keycaps...

Oh okay. You can check out the stream Mechs On Deck did for the build of the Night Sky one otherwise there are quite a few sets that used the styrka for renders like Infinikey Graen, KAT Arctic.

If I had a way to get nice pics of my board without having to ship it off I would but unfortunately I don't have a setup that has good enough lighting to attempt.

Offline Havattack

Oh okay. You can check out the stream Mechs On Deck did for the build of the Night Sky one otherwise there are quite a few sets that used the styrka for renders like Infinikey Graen, KAT Arctic.

If I had a way to get nice pics of my board without having to ship it off I would but unfortunately I don't have a setup that has good enough lighting to attempt.
Cool, thanks for the info. I'll check all that out right now.
Edit: Checked out the build.....You bastard... I HAVE to get one now!
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 January 2021, 23:11:10 by Havattack »

Offline Ustinj

Cool, thanks for the info. I'll check all that out right now.
Edit: Checked out the build.....You bastard... I HAVE to get one now!

Nice character development through this thread :D  :))

Offline Havattack

Some what unrelated, but  which one are you planning to put your Skyline keycaps on?... I all ready put it on the IC for that, but imagine how good Skyline would look on one of the blue ones, with red on blue alphas... DO IT. ;)

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
Some what unrelated, but  which one are you planning to put your Skyline keycaps on?... I all ready put it on the IC for that, but imagine how good Skyline would look on one of the blue ones, with red on blue alphas... DO IT. ;)

I haven't decided what board I will put that on just yet but who knows at this point lol.

Offline keebnewb

The wine color with the e-black plate is calling to me....

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
Update:

The GB thread is live!!! Make sure to follow everything there and on my website www.Viktus.Design for updates and to purchase this board.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=110661.0