Author Topic: :~$ynth  (Read 310136 times)

Offline DillonHightower

• Formerly DillonHighsmith
Re: :~$ynth
« Reply #750 on: Tue, 26 September 2017, 15:15:21 »
@Binge
Hey buddy, I went to order a synth today and techkeys are all sold out :-(

Any idea when stock may arrive again?

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #751 on: Tue, 26 September 2017, 16:17:37 »
@Binge
Hey buddy, I went to order a synth today and techkeys are all sold out :-(

Any idea when stock may arrive again?

Bruh you cant make K3's on a synth
Only K3 can make K3, fact.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #752 on: Tue, 26 September 2017, 17:31:39 »
Yea, I got 2 and now I realize I need 2-4 more.

Such an awesome product!

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #753 on: Tue, 26 September 2017, 17:46:18 »

Such an awesome product!

You'll be in luck!  The next round are in the process of being ordered.  These are a special type of item, so I hope everyone understands that time is essential to make a quality product.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline mr scooty

« Reply #754 on: Tue, 26 September 2017, 17:47:42 »

Such an awesome product!

You'll be in luck!  The next round are in the process of being ordered.  These are a special type of item, so I hope everyone understands that time is essential to make a quality product.

Stoked to hear! Hoping to pick one up when I can

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #755 on: Tue, 26 September 2017, 21:02:56 »

Such an awesome product!

Awesome. I know as soon as they come in stock Im getting two more and if I can afford it at the time I'll get 4. Nothing like wanting to sculpt when both your synth are in the pressure pot.

Thanks for a great product it makes life so much easier.

Offline DillonHightower

• Formerly DillonHighsmith
« Reply #756 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 15:10:33 »

Such an awesome product!

Stoked to hear! Hoping to pick one up when I can

Im sure the wait will be well worth it.. Every advancement has in this product has been awesome! Thanks for taking the time for making this. It has helped so many make awesome caps! Cant wait to see the new revisions to make an already good product great!
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 September 2017, 14:45:46 by Binge »

Offline hydrochloride

« Reply #757 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 07:03:14 »
I can't wait for new stock to come out. My wife and I really want to make keycaps. She loves playing with resins and clays.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #758 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 07:57:39 »
I can't wait for new stock to come out. My wife and I really want to make keycaps. She loves playing with resins and clays.

You technically don't need the synth. You could just start working with clay on top of existing caps. They are much harder to mold properly particularly the stems. People were doing it long before the Synth but the Synth makes things so much easier. That said no reson you cant start sculpting and just wait on the synth to mold as most caps will sit right on top of the synth.

Offline hydrochloride

« Reply #759 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 08:00:50 »

You technically don't need the synth. You could just start working with clay on top of existing caps. They are much harder to mold properly particularly the stems. People were doing it long before the Synth but the Synth makes things so much easier. That said no reson you cant start sculpting and just wait on the synth to mold as most caps will sit right on top of the synth.
We're in the process of moving soon but I agree. I was going to buy some tools to file down key caps to sculpt without adding too much to the top of the cap. We've talked about different things, but she wants to do stuff with resins, so we're looking at various things. She definitely wants this though and has been bugging me for one lol

Either way, she's been working on other projects so she's busy and distracted from keycaps in the meantime.

Offline Murrellz

« Reply #760 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 06:03:36 »
Any idea of when more synths will be in stock?

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #761 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 12:59:47 »

I would suggest subscribing to the Techkeys.us e-mail list/newsletter for a heads up!  We have a round going into production, and I should have some units to sell on my site as well.  I'll make sure to post here when it is ready.

Offline hydrochloride

« Reply #762 on: Fri, 03 November 2017, 07:25:21 »

I would suggest subscribing to the Techkeys.us e-mail list/newsletter for a heads up!  We have a round going into production, and I should have some units to sell on my site as well.  I'll make sure to post here when it is ready.
What website is that? I hope you made plenty of production units.

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #763 on: Fri, 03 November 2017, 10:27:04 »

What website is that? I hope you made plenty of production units.

The website which sells the :~$ynth keycap mold solution.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline sublyme

• sublyme_keys
« Reply #764 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 22:46:01 »

If using sculpy, do you consider it OK to bake the $ynth along with clay

I've gathered that this is ok, but is there anything I should be coating the synth with prior to baking my artisan on it? Will it get stuck or just pop off the synth with a little pressure?

Edit: never mind.  I see a release agent is not needed with sculpy :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 November 2017, 22:56:07 by sublyme »

Offline TheGlyph

« Reply #765 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 17:06:48 »
I finally made it to stem casting on my two 2.0 $ynths and have been disappointed to find the stem fit so lose on both that if I tip a switch upside down the cap falls straight off (doesn't even need a shake). Is this something I need to take up with techkeys, known issue/fix, or what? Any help appreciated!
Instagram @GlennTheBlack
Discord TheGlyph#8458

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #766 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 19:19:36 »
I finally made it to stem casting on my two 2.0 $ynths and have been disappointed to find the stem fit so lose on both that if I tip a switch upside down the cap falls straight off (doesn't even need a shake). Is this something I need to take up with techkeys, known issue/fix, or what? Any help appreciated!

Finally got some time to use the $ynth. The final product has a pretty loose stem. So maybe it's something to fix for the next version of the $ynth

It could also be your casting process.

Can you please more specific on that?

Resins have material shrinkage issues.  A low tolerance resin will make a more loose stem.

Quoting a previous post, hope that's helpful.

Offline kenlee

« Reply #767 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 20:03:49 »

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXVtM_RDc99/?taken-by=hungerworkstudio

FYI

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #768 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 20:15:52 »
We worked with our factory to identify several uncertainties when someone casts a stem.  In a future iteration of the stem we applied a tighter tolerance which is more suitable to a wide variety of resins.  A lot of artists have taken stem forms they own and manually adjusted the dimensions to suit their needs.

You will need some calipers and take it slow, but because it is aluminum you can augment this mold part with control by hand.

Rubbing resin together in the woods for warmth.

Offline TheGlyph

« Reply #769 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 17:40:18 »
Thanks guys - appreciate the info.
Instagram @GlennTheBlack
Discord TheGlyph#8458

Offline menuhin

« Reply #770 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 08:48:30 »
Hi Binge,

Will TMX stem (or Topre) but supported in the future?
If no, what is your suggestion to implement those?
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #771 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 14:41:33 »
Hello!

I'd like to thank everyone who has supported our Synth manufacturing.  To date over 600 units have been produced if we count all of the releases.  The continued promise to improve on the tool quality has been made possible by supports.

To provide additional support for the tool I would like everyone interested in the synth to remember that in this revision and future revisions it is important to apply release agent.  In the coming days I will make another video and post it here.

I've provided Techkeys.us with verbiage to include with :~$ynth orders which reads,

The :~$ynth mold system is best used in conjunction with a Polysiloxane mold release agent.  This is a common release agent used to aid in the release of plastics from plastics, rubber, and metal.  For first time use please apply up to 3 coatings of your release agent in thin layers allowing the release agent to cure on the surface of all :~$ynth mold system parts. If you are unsure if your release agent manufacturer uses this active ingredient please contact their technical staff for clarification.  Known and tested Polysiloxane mold release agents in the United States are:  ReleaSys 78 (Aerosol) & Alumilite UMR (Aerosol).  Mann Ease Release 200 (Aerosol) may also be used although effectiveness is subject to coating thickness and may cause cure inhibition.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #772 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 22:04:39 »
Very cool, thanks for doing all the leg-work to source the information. I know you mentioned before that you're working on trying to get some kind of product from Miller-stephenson for our use? Is that happening relatively soon or should I just stick with the easily available Alumilite from amazon?

I finally decided to jump on in and grab a latest version. it really is such a great way to avoid some of the problems and frustrations of doing this the old fashioned way. :thumb:
-Dana

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #773 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 20:36:00 »
Very cool, thanks for doing all the leg-work to source the information. I know you mentioned before that you're working on trying to get some kind of product from Miller-stephenson for our use? Is that happening relatively soon or should I just stick with the easily available Alumilite from amazon?

I finally decided to jump on in and grab a latest version. it really is such a great way to avoid some of the problems and frustrations of doing this the old fashioned way. :thumb:

We should have something sorted out within the next two weeks.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #774 on: Fri, 15 December 2017, 20:55:38 »

We should have something sorted out within the next two weeks.

Cool cool, i'll hold off on ordering then and wait for your announcement
-Dana

Offline avid

« Reply #775 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 22:22:06 »
Hello,

I'm very new to the artisan scene and i learned that you made the artisan with the mustasch which i like very much.

I do wonder, where can i find info about upcoming sales and how are these made? Is it raffle, fcfs and are you able to chose keycap or is it random?

Thanks!

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #776 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 11:48:02 »
Hello,

I'm very new to the artisan scene and i learned that you made the artisan with the mustasch which i like very much.

I do wonder, where can i find info about upcoming sales and how are these made? Is it raffle, fcfs and are you able to chose keycap or is it random?

Thanks!

Hello,

This thread is specifically for discussion relating to the :~$ynth product, https://techkeys.us/collections/accessories/products/synth

Please check out https://hungerwork.studio/apps/help-center which will answer a lot of common questions like raffles and sales :)

Offline NNIH

« Reply #777 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 09:04:47 »
Is it impossible to make a silicon mold of Cherry Keycap?

I tried to fit a cherry keycap into a synth, but I checked that it doesn't fit properly.

SA Profile fit

cherry, oem Profile is doesn't fit?

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #778 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 09:33:14 »

I tried to fit a cherry keycap into a synth, but I checked that it doesn't fit properly.

SA Profile fit

Chances are you need to trim underneath the keycap, like so:

I've no issues using Cherry profile caps once those pieces have been removed.

Offline NNIH

« Reply #779 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 10:09:20 »
Thanks.
I'll try it tomorrow.

SA Profile fit

Show Image

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #780 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 12:33:34 »

SA Profile fit

Show Image

TYVM dgneo, this is absolutely correct.

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #781 on: Thu, 13 September 2018, 14:53:41 »
Updated post 1 with new info. Necro necro necromancy~

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #782 on: Thu, 13 September 2018, 15:16:42 »
Since this is a new product, maybe it's time to change the name so that it's not harder to remember than a bank password. I'm guessing that in the past the name was kept for continuity between the versions, but this product is so different than v1 and v2 that maybe it's time to think about branding again. It's already colloquially known as the "Synth" so maybe just embrace that and make it easy to find.

It would also be helpful to explain what the parts are and which you need as a first time customer/returning customer.

Clearly you have your own goals/marketing plan, so I'm just throwing out ideas from the customer perspective that might help consumers.
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #783 on: Thu, 13 September 2018, 15:47:18 »
New project looks exciting, looking forward to launch. Salvun machines some pretty stuff.

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #784 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 10:31:24 »
Since this is a new product, maybe it's time to change the name so that it's not harder to remember than a bank password. I'm guessing that in the past the name was kept for continuity between the versions, but this product is so different than v1 and v2 that maybe it's time to think about branding again. It's already colloquially known as the "Synth" so maybe just embrace that and make it easy to find.

It would also be helpful to explain what the parts are and which you need as a first time customer/returning customer.

Clearly you have your own goals/marketing plan, so I'm just throwing out ideas from the customer perspective that might help consumers.

I really don't have a lot of plans other than to keep the project moving.  Thank you for your suggestions.  I will take your observations in mind while determining how best to use my time on the project.

The :~$ynth is a tool to assist creatives by providing a standard series of controls in which to create masters and simplify the casting process of master quality keys.

The name is derived from a couple concepts used to describe fundamental control in a few areas of interest.  I've seen sudo/superuser prompts as :~$, and musically a synth is a broad term for tools which can be used to output a variety of wave-forms by tweaking various basic parameters.

A description of the parts and their use in the system is intended to be well documented.  Please watch the crappy videos if you are at all curious how it works.  Enough has been spelled out if you understand casting.  It's nothing amazing which will explain molding to someone who has never cast before, but it will vaguely help you understand what can be accomplished until myself or my collaborators have time to really spell it all out.
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 September 2018, 10:39:02 by Binge »

Offline HOBI3CAT

• FraktalKaps.com
    • Fraktal Kaps Website
« Reply #785 on: Tue, 18 September 2018, 14:05:12 »
Any sort of timeline of when we can expect these items to start being in stock? I know salvun has been working on some of the parts recently (his IG is very active, which I definitely appreciate!)
Eat, Sleep, Resin, Repeat.

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #786 on: Tue, 18 September 2018, 17:48:53 »
Will you start offering stem inserts other then the standard MX now that all of the parts are purchasable à la carte?
***loads of Vaseline for my meme TMO50 -- Acereconkeys

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #787 on: Tue, 18 September 2018, 21:44:50 »
Will you start offering stem inserts other then the standard MX now that all of the parts are purchasable à la carte?

The parts are still a bulk purchase for all vendors involved.  The à la carte system is made for the benefit of the buyers to where you could order only the parts you want from the set.  If you only use 2 bases, 1 stem, and several box parts, it doesn't make sense to buy several complete sets and have excess tools.

As for plans with the stems- I still believe flexible material makes better plugs for topre or alps.  If you put an alps stem into a synth and mold the pin, you will get an alps stem pin to use with your synth.

Any sort of timeline of when we can expect these items to start being in stock? I know salvun has been working on some of the parts recently (his IG is very active, which I definitely appreciate!)

I don't think it's appropriate to announce a time-frame until the vendors have taken them in stock, but you're doing all the right stuff to keep informed of how the production is moving along.
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 September 2018, 21:48:26 by Binge »

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #788 on: Sun, 28 October 2018, 17:45:42 »

Offline rmendis

• Artisan addict
« Reply #789 on: Sun, 28 October 2018, 17:48:26 »

Offline Eldr1tch

« Reply #790 on: Fri, 23 November 2018, 06:02:23 »
Any idea when new stock of the base will be in?

You have literally every part in stock but the base.. which seems not very useful to those looking to buy? Is there any point in having the rest of the pieces without the base?

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #791 on: Fri, 23 November 2018, 09:01:27 »

You have literally every part in stock but the base.. which seems not very useful to those looking to buy? Is there any point in having the rest of the pieces without the base?

I don't see the point of not selling all those other things for people who wish to buy them separately.

Offline Eldr1tch

« Reply #792 on: Fri, 23 November 2018, 11:27:01 »

I don't see the point of not selling all those other things for people who wish to buy them separately.

You are absolutely correct. I'm just salty because I missed out. Thank you for calling me out on my BS.  :thumb:

Offline drekfoo

« Reply #793 on: Fri, 23 November 2018, 11:45:57 »
if you are keeping up to date with the project, salvun is already working on a whole new batch of $ynths so just be patient, it's totally worth it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #794 on: Fri, 23 November 2018, 12:18:26 »

You are absolutely correct. I'm just salty because I missed out. Thank you for calling me out on my BS.  :thumb:

It wasn't BS. They overproduced the non-base parts thinking more people would want extra parts and things in this community go OOS and there's usually no real timeline on restock. It's a common frustration.
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #795 on: Mon, 26 November 2018, 08:37:15 »

Salt is our way of life :)

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #796 on: Mon, 17 December 2018, 11:23:13 »

Production takes time and I appreciate any patience you can maintain!  Please be assured that before stock was sold out more were already being made.  Everything slows down around this time of year, and the store will be restocked within a couple weeks.  It's really wonderful the turn around times are getting to be so tight when production is happening in Belgium.

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #797 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 09:56:36 »
Hey!

I'm trying to get this topic going again as a source of support and information regarding the :~$ynth and its releases.  Salvun and I are attempting to produce some more documentation for the product, and we'd like to also get feedback from user experience to help improve further iterations of the product.

I'll be posting here more regularly regarding any information I can think of as the time permits.

Thank you, fans and makers, for supporting this project.

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #798 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 13:57:22 »
Binge, I just got back from vacation and TechKeys are sold out. Any idea when they will get a resupply?

Also I might as well ask while I'm here. My current sculpt is on a synth2. When I go to mold it I will have to do a 2 part (or 3 if you count the synth) mold because of it's height and shape. So with the 3 I can always use the base without the mold box, but how hard is it to do a 2 or 3 part mold in the mold box. Also I do bake my sculpts when I have to do multi-part molds so they can be separated from other clay easily.

I'm attaching an example that is just sculpted on a cap so you can see what I mean about needing the multi-part molds.

Offline skejwen

« Reply #799 on: Fri, 26 July 2019, 08:46:45 »
Hey Binge. I asked earlier this year about base without milled holes, dedicated just for making moulds. Also higher box option would be nice, coz I found out that current one in some projects its too low and key barely is covered by silicone, and its always better to have bigger margin than a half of milimeter. Tutorial/hints on how to clear it from resin residue, that are most commonly used, would be nice. Other than that synth is perfect as it is :)