Author Topic: Microsoft optical sensor transplant  (Read 3321 times)

Offline Voyager

Microsoft optical sensor transplant
« on: Sun, 21 November 2010, 14:37:21 »
Hi peeps,

I just wanted to ask if anybody ever swapped sensors in their Microsoft mice? The story goes like this: my brother used a Wheel Mouse Optical for years until the cable broke off. He then got an IntelliMouse Explorer 4.0 without knowing that it was substandard and, surely enough, hated it. I managed to locate and get him an Explorer 3.0 and now he's overjoyed. I, however, am stuck with his Explorer 4.0. Now, I was thinking - was it possible to swap the sensors between a Wheel Mouse Optical and an Explorer 4.0? I really like the tilt wheel and the shape is just perfect.

Offline Shuki

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 21 November 2010, 15:21:14 »
It can be done with the right knowhow. Many people have turned the old logitech wingman into a "frankenmouse" with the internals of a more reliable one. I'm sure google will provide a few comprehensive guides.

Offline zefrer

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 21 November 2010, 18:16:31 »
Yeah it's possible. But I'd just get an IE3.0. You can still get them. Or a WMO.

Offline chimera15

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 22 November 2010, 00:18:52 »
I tried to do this to make my trackball mods initially.  It's very difficult to do.  It's easy to damage the optics.

It might be easier just to use the whole board and swap the case...is there a button/functional difference, or is it just the case that he prefers?
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline Voyager

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 22 November 2010, 00:52:41 »
I disassembled the mice and just thought it's not worth it. I'm actually rather clumsy and will probably damage things beyond repair.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 22 November 2010, 05:21:17 »
I tried to put a MadCatz trackball sensor on a Microsoft optical mouse and failed. YMMV.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.