Author Topic: [GB] Gothic70/50 - Alice style board with arrow keys R3 starting soon  (Read 178487 times)

Offline Magas

Re: [GB] Gothic70/50 - Alice style board with arrow keys in acrylic/POM (closed)
« Reply #250 on: Sun, 26 January 2020, 10:34:14 »
Gothic 70 ever coming back?

Offline PotlePawtle

Re: [GB] Gothic70/50 - Alice style board with arrow keys in acrylic/POM (closed)
« Reply #251 on: Sun, 26 January 2020, 19:05:50 »
Just got around to building mine!

Show Image

Show Image

7 isn't enough, so here's 16 xD

What leds are those? Built mine without knowing leds weren't already on it... Never messed with lighting before, but might as well take advantage of the frosted underside.

I ordered some ws2812b LED strips from Taobao and soldered them onto the back of the pcb!

Thanks! Gonna buy the same ones.  :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 January 2020, 02:53:55 by PotlePawtle »

Offline telly

« Reply #252 on: Wed, 29 January 2020, 23:32:45 »
Anyone have an extra pcb they’d be willing to sell me?

Offline topherrehpot

« Reply #253 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 11:40:29 »
I posted this on Reddit but thought I'd post it here as well - how to program this keyboard:

1. Follow this: https://docs.qmk.fm/#/newbs_getting_started I initially skipped it since I had the QMK Toolbox already but no, you have to follow this all the way through until you have an environment that you can run the "make" commands in. I was skeptical about actually installing MSYS2 on Windows but it worked really well. Don't be intimidated by the CLI work. :-)

2. Grab worldspawns's firmwares: https://github.com/worldspawn00/Firmwares I think the QMK newb guide talks about using git so use that same process. This is all their firwmares so what I did was download this to a temporary place and copy over gothic70 to qmk_firmware/keyboards/ folder, so you should have qmk_firmware/keyboards/gothic70 when done.

3. It's a good idea to create your own keymap folder so you can switch back to default if you want. So create a new path at qmk_firmware/keyboards/gothic70/keymaps/<new folder> then copy over the two files from default folder: keymap.c and rules.mk. Edit keymap.c if you want to change your keymap.

4. If you want to change the number of LEDs to light up, edit qmk_firmware/keyboards/gothic70/config.h line 33 (#define RGBLED_NUM 7) - change the 7 to the number of LEDs you're using. I updated mine to 38 :-)

5. When you've got it all ready, while in the qmk_firmware folder, you'll run: make gothic70:foldername - foldername being whatever you called the folder in step 2. And of course, if you wanted to build the default firmware, you'd run make gothic70:default.

6. So you can flash from the CLI but I chose to use QMK Toolbox since I already had that setup - I liked the visual of the keyboard being attached. You'll need to find your hex file that is generated from the previous step. If you are using MSYS2, run "start ." to open a file explorer window at that location. Open this file in QMK Toolbox. Hit the button on the bottom of the keyboard and wait for the line in yellow to say the controller has connected (I forget the name now, typing this from memory). Click Flash. Enjoy.

Offline topherrehpot

« Reply #254 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 11:42:54 »
So hopefully my guide above helps and maybe that will show any glaring mistakes I made because: I'm having a problem with the keyboard. When the LED changes color either in the rainbow pattern or if I'm cycling through the colors, either when I get to the color or maybe it's just the color that happens, but I get to like a greenish/yellow and the keyboard "crashes" (dies, stops responding, whatever). The only way to get it back is to unplug it for >15 seconds, plug it back in, and change the color before it crashes again. Anyone else having an issue like this?

Besides, I love this board! This is my first "Alice" kind of layout and I have to say I see all the hype and don't plan on using anything else for work!

Offline worldspawn

« Reply #255 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 12:32:34 »
So hopefully my guide above helps and maybe that will show any glaring mistakes I made because: I'm having a problem with the keyboard. When the LED changes color either in the rainbow pattern or if I'm cycling through the colors, either when I get to the color or maybe it's just the color that happens, but I get to like a greenish/yellow and the keyboard "crashes" (dies, stops responding, whatever). The only way to get it back is to unplug it for >15 seconds, plug it back in, and change the color before it crashes again. Anyone else having an issue like this?

Besides, I love this board! This is my first "Alice" kind of layout and I have to say I see all the hype and don't plan on using anything else for work!

That would be the internal fuse tripping, each SMD LED can draw up to 49mW, standard 2.0 USB bus (and the fuse in the board) are rated at 500mA, so 38 LEDs are likely blowing the fuse.  You need to limit the maximum brightness

add this line to the config file

RGBLIGHT_LIMIT_VAL 255

and lower the value to something that won't exceed 500mA with all leds lit, the range is 1-255
I can make acrylic laser cut cases/plates PM for info

Offline topherrehpot

« Reply #256 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 12:49:25 »

That would be the internal fuse tripping, each SMD LED can draw up to 49mW, standard 2.0 USB bus (and the fuse in the board) are rated at 500mA, so 38 LEDs are likely blowing the fuse.  You need to limit the maximum brightness

add this line to the config file

RGBLIGHT_LIMIT_VAL 255

and lower the value to something that won't exceed 500mA with all leds lit, the range is 1-255

Oh... yeah I guess that makes sense with 38 LEDs lol. They are BRIGHT too! I'll give that a go. Thanks!

Offline worldspawn

« Reply #257 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 21:55:12 »
Just a quick FYI, the boards are now in the configurator for those who aren't up for compiling QMK themselves!
https://config.qmk.fm/#/wsk/gothic70/LAYOUT

Offline jollyeskimo

« Reply #258 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 13:09:56 »
Awesome finally seeing this in configurator. :thumb:

Does not appear that the firmware built with configurator is turning on any of the indicator LEDs. I've also tested this with firmware that I compiled myself (from github/worldspawn00), which does light up CAPS/FN LEDs.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 February 2020, 13:19:43 by jollyeskimo »

Offline worldspawn

« Reply #259 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 13:28:51 »
I'll see if I can do something about that, not sure since the configurator capabilities are pretty limited.  If anyone is more familiar with setting up files for the Configurator, I'm open to advice.

Offline Sorachi.Ace

• Formerly CaptRobo
  • Co-owner of SodieCaps artisan keycaps
« Reply #260 on: Sun, 09 February 2020, 18:37:25 »
Can someone help me troubleshoot why my 6-Y-H-N row is not registering?

I have the same issue with my 3-E-D-C column on my gothic70. Going to try fix it in a couple of days - I can let you know how it goes?

I'm having the same problem on 9-O-L-period column. I verified all keys worked before and after soldering the switches. This only happened after flashing the pcb and it's still broken after flashing it back to default. If I figure out what's wrong I'll update.

Edit: I read a few posts under that one and saw the suggestion to check if your leds are affecting it. Yep that was it. Kind of a weird coincidence that it worked before flashing but then decided to short after flashing. I guess all it took to short it was turning the keyboard over.

Everything is working fine now that I put something between the led strip and pcb.
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 February 2020, 13:01:56 by Sorachi.Ace »

Offline SmilingPudding

• 60% is the best layout.
    • Instagram
« Reply #261 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 00:16:01 »
Maybe a little premature but is there a planned r3?

Not yet.  ;D  If so, it would probably be this summer.

Please. Super interested in R3!

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #262 on: Fri, 14 February 2020, 00:34:04 »
I had 3 columns not working after soldering the switches and it turned out it was the gold pattern on the PCB  :confused:

You have to be really really careful not to apply excessive solder to short the solder pad and the gold pattern.
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 February 2020, 00:37:50 by yicaoyimu »
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline worldspawn

« Reply #263 on: Fri, 14 February 2020, 08:44:10 »
The cost of beauty, lol.  The pattern is part of the ground plane, so yeah, if solder bridges from a switch pin to the pattern, it'll short that column.  Cleaning up the solder will fix the issue.   :thumb:

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #264 on: Fri, 14 February 2020, 12:18:24 »

:))
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline tuxkey

« Reply #265 on: Sun, 16 February 2020, 04:00:48 »
Maybe a little premature but is there a planned r3?

Not yet.  ;D  If so, it would probably be this summer.

Please. Super interested in R3!

i second that price is right on par for me to give this layout a try i love 65% boards but don't have a split one like this .. so R3 would be awsome ..
greeetings from The Netherlands..

Offline topherrehpot

« Reply #266 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 15:08:46 »
Any possibility of top plates being available? I'd love to get a clear or frosted instead of the matte black I have so I can see the PCB. Or I can try my luck on r/mm

Offline Sleepertimbre

« Reply #267 on: Wed, 26 February 2020, 08:50:05 »
What's the best point of contact if I need to change a shipping address for a R2 order?

Offline KuroTheCrazy

« Reply #268 on: Wed, 26 February 2020, 10:47:50 »
What's the best point of contact if I need to change a shipping address for a R2 order?

You can message worldspawn about your order through etsy.

Offline shardikofthebeam

« Reply #269 on: Thu, 27 February 2020, 12:02:49 »
Good afternoon everyone,

I built my Gothic70 with the full backspace and not the split backspace. Within the week, the backspace mysteriously stopped working. I took it apart to look at it closer, and with my admittedly small soldering experience, did not notice anything off. I plugged it in after desoldering the backspace switch and checked the single backspace socket (which did not fire on my keyboard checker). I then checked the two to the right and left of the backspace (for split backspace build). The sockets to the right fired correctly (~ key). The socket to the right however fires Backspace, Insert, Delete, Print Screen, and Right Arrow. Here is a close up of that section of the board https://i.imgur.com/0lADBgF.jpg (top middle, you can see that the sockets that were soldered are silver) Can anyone see anything wrong?

Offline worldspawn

« Reply #270 on: Thu, 27 February 2020, 12:22:33 »
A whole column firing usually means theres a short, check your soldering, there's probably  a bridge between one of the switches and the surrounding pattern, clean up any excess solder using braid.  All the PCBs have been tested before I sent them out and definitely did not exhibit that sort of issue when they were packed.

Offline shardikofthebeam

« Reply #271 on: Thu, 27 February 2020, 13:49:05 »
A whole column firing usually means theres a short, check your soldering, there's probably  a bridge between one of the switches and the surrounding pattern, clean up any excess solder using braid.  All the PCBs have been tested before I sent them out and definitely did not exhibit that sort of issue when they were packed.

Oh, sorry! I didn't mean to imply that it was sent to me this way. It was all working after soldering until it wasn't haha. So is it possible there is a bridge somewhere else entirely on the board, like it doesn't have to be a bridge up in that area of the board? Like I said, very little soldering experience and even though this is the third board I've done, first time I've run into this issue.

Would the bridge also cause the full backspace to not fire at all?

Thanks worldspawn :)

Offline worldspawn

« Reply #272 on: Thu, 27 February 2020, 13:58:57 »
Yes, depends on where the solder bridge is, but it can cause both non-responsive switches or multiple switches to fire at once. You're looking for things like the photo here, the pin to the right of the '63' is bridged and causing that column to not work at all.

Offline shardikofthebeam

« Reply #273 on: Thu, 27 February 2020, 16:00:34 »
Yes, depends on where the solder bridge is, but it can cause both non-responsive switches or multiple switches to fire at once. You're looking for things like the photo here, the pin to the right of the '63' is bridged and causing that column to not work at all.
Show Image

Alright, it kind of looks like the right socket of my 63 is bridged...but I will double check that and the rest of the board when I get home.

Appreciate it :)

Offline mathewC

Are there any laser cutting files available? Would love to have this in a different type of finish

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Offline kaisn

Is mid march / early april still accurate?

Offline worldspawn

Is mid march / early april still accurate?

Boards have entered production with the fab, end of March to early April looks likely, will update once the boards ship to me.

Offline worldspawn

Quick update, got the PCBs in for the Gothic50, and Gothic70 are on their way via DHL now, but my shop has been shut down for 2 weeks due to virus, so there will be a delay in shipping till the 27th, sorry everyone, will update when things resume.

Offline xenotropic

Quick update, got the PCBs in for the Gothic50, and Gothic70 are on their way via DHL now, but my shop has been shut down for 2 weeks due to virus, so there will be a delay in shipping till the 27th, sorry everyone, will update when things resume.

Thanks for the update, I'm looking forward to building my Gothic, but health and safety are more important than keyboards.

Offline kaisn

stay safe in these tough times

Offline worldspawn

Quick update, I have the PCBs in from the fab and they're working.  I'll be doing QC and preflashing them while I wait for the shop to open back up.

Offline bob808

Due to the pandemic I've had to leave the US and am not able to receive my Gothic 70 order. Here's a picture of what I ordered: https://imgur.com/a/QaWjcbt. This was for reddit, so my timestamp username doesn't match geekhack but close enough I hope. I can re-do it if needed.

If anyone here is interested in paying the purchase price and having it shipped to them by worldspawn, please let me know. Thanks!

Offline worldspawn

I can confirm that he has an order in and I can change the shipping on it to the buyer :)

Current status is looking like Tuesday for getting a laser cutter for my work from home situation, probably a couple days to get it all set up, so hopefully will start cutting these cases next weekend.  Will update as things progress.  Sorry again for the delays, but I'm doing my best to get these out ASAP!  Thanks everyone for your patience.

Offline TimeDoctor

I can confirm that he has an order in and I can change the shipping on it to the buyer :)

Current status is looking like Tuesday for getting a laser cutter for my work from home situation, probably a couple days to get it all set up, so hopefully will start cutting these cases next weekend.  Will update as things progress.  Sorry again for the delays, but I'm doing my best to get these out ASAP!  Thanks everyone for your patience.
I’d would like to take this order if nobody else has

Offline HOBI3CAT

• FraktalKaps.com
    • Fraktal Kaps Website
VERY interested in a R3! Have a wonderland build, but really missing my arrow keys, so gothic 70 would be perfect :)
Eat, Sleep, Resin, Repeat.

Offline worldspawn

Almost back in production, got the new laser set up in its new home, just waiting on the cooler and filter parts to show up and we'll be back in business, sorry for the delays, and thanks everyone for your patience! 

Offline zakatak

• no cash

I would like to take this order if possible

Offline worldspawn

It has already been claimed.  I will have some extras once the Group Buy ships, I'll post here when avaialble.

Offline zakatak

• no cash

It has already been claimed.  I will have some extras once the Group Buy ships, I'll post here when avaialble.
Good to know thanks

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

Offline intellax

Hey y'all - has anyone successfully modified the firmware to be Via compatible?  I thought I had it working, but alas, not dynamically updating keymap :(

Offline mchanneh

• trying to reset terrible typing habits!

I am beyond keen to sign myself up for any extras you may have. Otherwise I will be tuned in for R3 when you're ready.

I hope you are keeping well in this climate!
Kailh Box Royals | Cherry Reds | Knockoff Blues

Offline jp5486

also interested in an extra

Offline worldspawn

I've got the new laser up and running, just getting it tuned for the materials now, sorry it's taking so long, but I want to be sure the quality is the best it can be!  Thanks everyone for your continued patience with this process.  I'm doing my best to get these great boards out to you ASAP!

Offline kaisn

I've got the new laser up and running, just getting it tuned for the materials now, sorry it's taking so long, but I want to be sure the quality is the best it can be!  Thanks everyone for your continued patience with this process.  I'm doing my best to get these great boards out to you ASAP!
Thank you for the update :)

Offline worldspawn

Another update, Laser is good to go and production of the cases has started!  I'll post more as I get ready to ship, thanks everyone.

Offline FinalEleven

Good to hear!

I can't wait!

Offline kaisn

Another update, Laser is good to go and production of the cases has started!  I'll post more as I get ready to ship, thanks everyone.

Good news, thank you! very hyped by now :D

Offline Anonymollusk

Super interested in the extras!

Offline FinalEleven

Any update on the progress so far?

Offline worldspawn

Any update on the progress so far?

Still cutting, white acrylic cases are all done, white and black POM are 75% complete, clear and frosted acrylic plates and bottoms are done, midlayers and bezels are in the queue.