Author Topic: [GB] Gothic70/50 - Alice style board with arrow keys R3 starting soon  (Read 178396 times)

Offline sandvichs

Re: [GB] Gothic70/50 - Alice style board with arrow keys in acrylic/POM (R2 live)
« Reply #150 on: Thu, 12 December 2019, 00:52:13 »
Just got it in the mail today. Can't wait to open it after work. Thanks for organizing!

any pics  :p

Offline yicaoyimu

Re: [GB] Gothic70/50 - Alice style board with arrow keys in acrylic/POM (R2 live)
« Reply #151 on: Thu, 12 December 2019, 00:53:29 »
Just got it in the mail today. Can't wait to open it after work. Thanks for organizing!

any pics  :p

Not yet but someone already put it together on r/mk.
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline KuroTheCrazy

Re: [GB] Gothic70/50 - Alice style board with arrow keys in acrylic/POM (closed)
« Reply #152 on: Thu, 12 December 2019, 07:57:20 »
I built mine on Tuesday.

231747-0

Offline NathanielGoodtimes

• n/a

Offline SteffeMK

Re: [GB] Gothic70/50 - Alice style board with arrow keys in acrylic/POM (closed)
« Reply #154 on: Thu, 12 December 2019, 16:45:37 »
Any updates on shipping?

Skickat från min ONEPLUS A6013 via Tapatalk

Offline worldspawn

« Reply #155 on: Thu, 12 December 2019, 17:27:40 »
packing and shipping continues, about 50% shipped
I can make acrylic laser cut cases/plates PM for info

Offline praisethebsun

« Reply #156 on: Sat, 14 December 2019, 11:30:05 »
Just finished building mine and just wanted to say thanks for the sweet board! Had a lot of fun putting it together

Offline GraffitiDecos

« Reply #157 on: Sat, 14 December 2019, 20:01:53 »
Received mine yesterday up here in Canada! Looking forward to building it :)

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline keebninja

« Reply #158 on: Mon, 16 December 2019, 21:39:08 »
Anyone having issues with the plate and screw in stabs? The stabs seem to be too thick and can't get the switches seated correctly in the pcb.

Offline worldspawn

« Reply #159 on: Mon, 16 December 2019, 22:15:22 »
Some stabilizers are too thick around where the screw is,  you may need to file a bit of the plastic at the bottom edge of the holes if using the thicker types.  OEM and Cherry stabs both clip and screw work fine with the plate.

Offline keebninja

« Reply #160 on: Tue, 17 December 2019, 08:01:37 »
OEM and Cherry stabs both clip and screw work fine with the plate.

Yeah, I'm using Cherry screw ins. I'll look at it more tonight and see what I can figure out.

Offline bananasplit_00

« Reply #161 on: Tue, 17 December 2019, 08:49:36 »
Oh, this ended? Guess i was too indecisive. Still not sure if i want one or not tbh, never had anything ergo shaped, think the 75% was too compact anyway. If you make a 96 key or similar id be very interested though.  :D

• n/a
« Reply #162 on: Tue, 17 December 2019, 09:33:35 »
Newb question.
What type of stabilizers will I need for this?
What size?
Looks like I will need three.

Offline sandvichs

« Reply #163 on: Tue, 17 December 2019, 09:57:02 »
Newb question.
What size?

4 2u stabs (enter, backspace, left space, right space)

It looks like you can use any stab, PCB mount, plate mount, or PCB screw in. I'm basing that off looking at this link, the plate files, and the pictures of the PCB bottom.

Offline KuroTheCrazy

« Reply #164 on: Tue, 17 December 2019, 12:15:14 »
Newb question.
What size?

4 2u stabs (enter, backspace, left space, right space)

It looks like you can use any stab, PCB mount, plate mount, or PCB screw in. I'm basing that off looking at this link, the plate files, and the pictures of the PCB bottom.

Actually five 2u, left shift.

Offline worldspawn

« Reply #165 on: Tue, 17 December 2019, 12:22:17 »
Depends on whether you're using split or 2u backspace, but 4 or 5 2u stabs.

Offline ppnp253

« Reply #166 on: Tue, 17 December 2019, 13:42:00 »
Got mine in the mail this weekend! Will have to build after the holidays though..
Any headway on QMK configurator?

Offline bball2

« Reply #167 on: Tue, 17 December 2019, 20:03:38 »
Does anyone know of any good build guides for the Gothic 70? I tried putting it together earlier today but having some trouble both inserting the switches and assembling all the parts together.

Trying to put it together in this order:

Does that look correct? Ie) I would put the switches through the plate (#6) with #5 keeping space between the pcb (#4) and #6. The plate (#6) doesn't really hold any of the switches in place by itself so it's somewhat difficult to get everything setup before soldering. Is it better to solder some switches in the corner first?

Edit: Actually it looks like the proper order is 1 2 3 4 6 7 5 (only way I can get the case to properly connect) - does that seem right? But if that's the proper way to do it, how do you prevent the plate (#6) from just falling flush with the pcb (#4)
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 December 2019, 20:15:13 by bball2 »

Offline bball2

« Reply #168 on: Tue, 17 December 2019, 20:06:30 »
Edit: duplicate

Offline worldspawn

« Reply #169 on: Tue, 17 December 2019, 22:43:27 »
The order is 1234657, gravity and friction keep the PCB down in its place, it will lift up when switching keycaps, but you just push it back down.  This is one of the uses for the plate foam, it takes up that gap space.  Just FYI, this is typical of acrylic layer cases.

Offline PotlePawtle

« Reply #170 on: Tue, 17 December 2019, 23:46:01 »
Any estimate on when the rest will be shipped?

Offline worldspawn

« Reply #171 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 01:23:10 »
Any estimate on when the rest will be shipped?

I’m pacing and shipping several each day, sorry it’s taking a while, you’ll get tracking when your order ships.

Offline bball2

« Reply #172 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 02:30:38 »
The order is 1234657, gravity and friction keep the PCB down in its place, it will lift up when switching keycaps, but you just push it back down.  This is one of the uses for the plate foam, it takes up that gap space.  Just FYI, this is typical of acrylic layer cases.

Cheers, thanks for the tip! Will give it a shot tomorrow  :thumb:

Offline bball2

« Reply #173 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 14:19:44 »
Just finished my build:

Anyone know how to program it? I like to use my right thumb to hit the space bar so can't really type very well on the default layout haha

Offline worldspawn

« Reply #174 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 14:21:55 »
Just finished my build:

Anyone know how to program it? I like to use my right thumb to hit the space bar so can't really type very well on the default layout haha

firmware files are here https://github.com/worldspawn00/Firmwares

time to learn QMK!

Offline Create_alt_delete

« Reply #175 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 16:00:42 »
Just finished building mine. Black POM version - vinyl wrapped top and bottom.

Thanks worldspawn!

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Offline HouseOfKeebs

« Reply #176 on: Sat, 21 December 2019, 13:16:12 »
Just got mine in! Looks great! My frosted acrylic plate looks great,but I thought I ordered an additional POM plate as well. If any one ordered an extra POM plate and would like to get rid of it, please let me know!

Offline kiyoboard

• https://www.youtube.com/kiyoboard
    • https://www.youtube.com/kiyoboard
« Reply #177 on: Sat, 21 December 2019, 16:19:42 »
Recently built my Gothic70. It is black POM with white POM plate. Looks and sounds pretty good.

Offline rdg

« Reply #178 on: Sat, 21 December 2019, 18:02:33 »

Yeah, I'm using Cherry screw ins. I'll look at it more tonight and see what I can figure out.

Just got mine in and have the same issue with GMK screw-in stabs. Plate (black pom in my case) is too thick or not cut out enough around the stab base :(

Did you figure anything out or try any filing down?

Offline worldspawn

« Reply #179 on: Sat, 21 December 2019, 19:08:43 »

Just got mine in and have the same issue with GMK screw-in stabs. Plate (black pom in my case) is too thick or not cut out enough around the stab base :(

Did you figure anything out or try any filing down?

Should be able to file a bit off around where the screws are for clearance, and then it should fit, just a couple mm.

Offline Poblopuablo

« Reply #180 on: Sun, 22 December 2019, 01:43:49 »
Have all  boards shipped? I have not received any tracking information yet. :(

Offline steezkeez

« Reply #181 on: Sun, 22 December 2019, 15:04:35 »

I’m in the same boat. Sucks to see people already post their completed builds when I’m guessing my board won’t even get to me til after the new year.

« Reply #182 on: Mon, 23 December 2019, 14:14:38 »

I’m in the same boat. Sucks to see people already post their completed builds when I’m guessing my board won’t even get to me til after the new year.

I still haven't gotten any info for mine either. It's even more rough seeing one sell on mechmarket and knowing the person who bought it second hand will probably get it before people in the GB do.

Offline worldspawn

« Reply #183 on: Mon, 23 December 2019, 14:22:33 »
Orders are about 80% shipped, almost all the last of the batch will go out today and tomorrow, the last few are heavily custom and I don't have time to finish the modifications before I have to leave town, the last few will ship the 2nd week of January.

• n/a
« Reply #184 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 09:05:18 »
Hey OP, happy holidays!
In reference to shipping are both R 1 & 2 nearly fully shipped?

Now bunch of newb questions.

How is a RGB strip header used? Will this be for connecting strips along the bottom?

What is the size of the right space bar?

The left space bar looks to be a standard size.

The button to the left of the N, is this for layers? IS there a place I can look at standard layer setups?

Thank you in advance!

Offline worldspawn

« Reply #185 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 10:31:29 »
Round 2 is going to ship in March/April.

RGB strip can be used, standard ws2812b 5v strip tied to the 3 pads near the spacebar row, square pad is ground. Make sure to put some electrical or kapton tap over the cut ends of the strip so it doesn't short out against the PCB.

Left space is 2u, right is 2.25 IIRC. I'm out of town right now so I can't pull up the design.

There's a link in the OP to the firmware folder, the keymap file in the default keymap folder has the layout in it.

• n/a
« Reply #186 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 10:33:02 »
Round 2 is going to ship in March/April.

RGB strip can be used, standard ws2812b 5v strip tied to the 3 pads near the spacebar row, square pad is ground. Make sure to put some electrical or kapton tap over the cut ends of the strip so it doesn't short out against the PCB.

Left space is 2u, right is 2.25 IIRC. I'm out of town right now so I can't pull up the design.

There's a link in the OP to the firmware folder, the keymap file in the default keymap folder has the layout in it.

Thank you!

Enjoy your trip!

Offline rockydbull

« Reply #187 on: Sat, 28 December 2019, 12:03:01 »
Did anyone else get a plate with standard square cutouts and not switch top opening cutouts? Even stranger is a couple of my keys are switch top opening (g and h) while the rest are not. I am pretty disappointed in no switch top opening (which the protos showed) and the inconsistency

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #188 on: Sat, 28 December 2019, 16:01:40 »
Did anyone else get a plate with standard square cutouts and not switch top opening cutouts? Even stranger is a couple of my keys are switch top opening (g and h) while the rest are not. I am pretty disappointed in no switch top opening (which the protos showed) and the inconsistency
They are extra wide so they only hold the top and bottom of the switch. You can still open the top housings
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline worldspawn

« Reply #189 on: Sat, 28 December 2019, 17:02:36 »

Previous post is correct, like the minivan, most of the cutouts are oversized rectangles that have clearance for switch opening, a couple of them have the side tabs still present to prevent the PCB from sliding sideways.  The main advantage to the larger holes is that with laser cutting a bit of skew can occur and the plate can end up tight at one end, having a couple mm extra space around the keys on the side allows space so they don't get pinched, and overall doesn't affect the fit of the switches any.more than the switch top opening tabs does.

Offline shardikofthebeam

« Reply #190 on: Sat, 28 December 2019, 18:30:25 »
Hey Worldspawn,

Got the kit in the mail a few days ago, it looks beautiful.

Having a tiny problem, I think the cut outs on the plate for the stabilizers are too big? I have the clear acrylic, and the stabilizers cannot snap in, nor do I see the holes for the screw in stabilizers (I have and tried both plate mount and screw in). Video should be attached that I hope shows what I mean better.

Is the plate cut too large or am I just being really thick about installing these stabilizers?

(https://imgur.com/FcZH6D5 a link in case the attachment doesn't work).

Offline GraffitiDecos

« Reply #191 on: Sat, 28 December 2019, 18:36:48 »
Hey Worldspawn,

Having a tiny problem, I think the cut outs on the plate for the stabilizers are too big? I have the clear acrylic, and the stabilizers cannot snap in, nor do I see the holes for the screw in stabilizers (I have and tried both plate mount and screw in). Video should be attached that I hope shows what I mean better.

Is the plate cut too large or am I just being really thick about installing these stabilizers?

I'm pretty sure it's snap in or screw in only, and that's on the PCB (ie. No plate mount). The plate allows the stabs to pass through.

Offline worldspawn

« Reply #192 on: Sat, 28 December 2019, 18:45:08 »
Hey Worldspawn,

Plate mount stabilizers can't be used with acrylic cases (In almost all cases, there are a few exceptions, this is not one of them), you can use PCB mount stabilizers, snap in work fine for sure, cherry style screw ins should also fit ok as it is, but everglide/zeal may need a bit of filing around where the screw is to fit around that part of the stabilizer.

Offline rockydbull

« Reply #193 on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 09:05:15 »

Previous post is correct, like the minivan, most of the cutouts are oversized rectangles that have clearance for switch opening, a couple of them have the side tabs still present to prevent the PCB from sliding sideways.  The main advantage to the larger holes is that with laser cutting a bit of skew can occur and the plate can end up tight at one end, having a couple mm extra space around the keys on the side allows space so they don't get pinched, and overall doesn't affect the fit of the switches any.more than the switch top opening tabs does.

Ok thanks for the clarification.

Offline steezkeez

« Reply #194 on: Tue, 31 December 2019, 15:02:17 »
I'm getting a "USB device not recognized" error when attempting to test the PCB. As a result, none of the keys are responsive. Anyone else run into this issue? Since the PCB is not recognized, I cannot put it into Bootloader mode and am unsuccessful when trying to flash the firmware.

Physically pressing the RESET button on the back of the PCB just attempts to re-connect the PCB to Windows, at which point I get the same "USB device not recognized" error. QMK toolbox does not see/recognize the PCB.

When I attempted to flash through command line (via msys2), I cloned the QMK firmware Git repo, copied the /gothic70 firmware file folder over to /qmk_firmware/keyboards, and ran 'make gothic70:default:dfu', which resulted in another error: "dfu-programmer: no device present. ERROR: Bootloader not found. Trying again in 5s." During this time I (again) tried pressing the RESET button, which did nothing.

232832-0

Did I just receive a faulty PCB? My USB-C cable works fine with my other boards. If anyone could help, that would be greatly appreciated.

Offline worldspawn

« Reply #195 on: Tue, 31 December 2019, 15:17:23 »
All the PCBs were tested, flashed with a good firmware, and row and column tested, the board was good when it left me.  Have you tried a different USB cable and port on the PC?

Offline GraffitiDecos

« Reply #196 on: Tue, 31 December 2019, 15:19:46 »
Also USBC to usb a vs usb c to USB c? I've heard sometimes c to c doesnt work

Offline worldspawn

« Reply #197 on: Tue, 31 December 2019, 15:21:02 »
C to C should work fine, the PCB is set up correctly to support it.

Offline steezkeez

[GB] Gothic70/50 - Alice style board with arrow keys in acrylic/POM (closed)
« Reply #198 on: Tue, 31 December 2019, 15:35:39 »
It’s USB A to C and I’ve tried 2 different cables and all USB ports on my computer (both USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports give the same error). I don’t think it’s a cable issue as my other keyboards work fine. I even tried plugging in an extra Wilba PCB I haven’t used yet and it’s recognized right away.

Edit: tried on a different computer and still encountered the same error.
« Last Edit: Tue, 31 December 2019, 15:48:11 by steezkeez »

Offline ppnp253

« Reply #199 on: Tue, 31 December 2019, 15:54:23 »
I was looking at the default layout and noticed you have a tap dance function on the caps lock key. How does that work? I'm trying to activate caps lock with double tap but only activates LCTRL. I'm also doing this with tweezers and a keyboard tester, so I assume I might actually have to solder the switch first for it to work?