Author Topic: Orion V2 Kustom TKL Group Buy  (Read 1220103 times)

Offline Pemdas

• (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ᶠᶫᵒᵃᵗᶦᶰᵍ ᶫᶦᵏᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵘᵗᵗᵉʳᶠᶫʸ
Re: Orion V2 Kustom TKL Group Buy
« Reply #1550 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 22:11:55 »
If anyone would ever want to let go of a full aluminum Orion v2 with an Alps plate and PCB, hit me up.

This is the only TKL I'd ever bother with, haha.

That's a super tight request.  Although it IS the sole exception for a TKL I do wish you luck. :thumb:

Oh, I know. I know. I don't plan on it ever being fulfilled, trust me. :P

Slushi has 1 of 5 existing ALPS kits since he took my order.

I actually bought that alps kit from slushi so he no longer has it  :thumb:

Just need to find a donor boards with greens to bring to life  :cool:
HHKB2 | Orion v2 | TGR-03 Proto | Octagon v2 | JD45 | BlackBird | Mira SE | Viper v2 | SX60 | E8-v1 | Alice | LZ GH v2 | No 1/65 | 910SE | Kyuu | LZ CLS ms | UNIKORN | PhysiX

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1551 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 22:16:40 »
Anyone willing to part with their keyboard please let me know  ^-^

That's usually not how it works but good luck.

:( what? i edit it to sell

I just mean in the sense that it's very rare that somebody will approach you to sell the board. If they want to sell it they'll put it up on classifieds or contact a friend first.

:-[ but but but this is how I got a viper and eagle 2 years back. I know its rare but it doesn't hurt to ask here.

It doesn't hurt to ask and I don't mean to discourage you. It's just that a lot of people do the same I never see anything come of it.

Definitely doesn't hurt to ask. It's not optimal, but I've seen a few things trade off this way. I've even gotten a few keysets from previous GBs by asking. ;)

Offline SavvyBird

• Savvy Caps
« Reply #1552 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 22:25:55 »
I can consider throwing my topre candy corn or topre drunken + monies if you're into that sort thing  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 February 2016, 22:34:29 by SavvyBird »
hi

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1553 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 22:39:48 »
I can consider throwing my topre candy corn or topre drunken + monies if you're into that sort thing  :rolleyes:

No... You can always get an Orion later. How often can you get those CC's?

Offline SavvyBird

• Savvy Caps
« Reply #1554 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 22:50:58 »

No... You can always get an Orion later. How often can you get those CC's?

true  :'(
hi

Offline slushi

« Reply #1555 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 22:11:17 »
Is anyone having issues running the keymapper? I am running Windows 10 Pro and the old 1.6.456 keymapper works with it but not the 1.7.596b for the Orion V2.

HHKB Pro 2

Offline ika

« Reply #1556 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 22:32:40 »
Is anyone having issues running the keymapper? I am running Windows 10 Pro and the old 1.6.456 keymapper works with it but not the 1.7.596b for the Orion V2.

On Win10 and using the v1.7.596b mapper just fine. What's your error?

Offline slushi

« Reply #1557 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 22:33:42 »
weirdly enough, after 6 downloads, it finally worked. Not sure what was going on.

HHKB Pro 2

Offline orcinus

« Reply #1558 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 18:52:57 »
Just a tiny update...
I ended up never changing the debounce.

It somehow fixed itself over time.
I guess the switches + stabs broke in after a while.

Offline filphil

• One day I hope to find a love like JD and Turk
« Reply #1559 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 21:16:47 »
I have a MX steel plate to trade for an aluminum plate if anyone is willing.

Can sell this(steel plate) now.  Plastic plate is where it's at.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1560 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 21:19:41 »
Plastic plate is where it's at.

Hell yeah it is! ;)
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #1561 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 19:08:32 »
I have plastic plate on Orion v2 and stainless steel plate on Octagon

After weeks of use, I kinda prefer the stainless steel, although the tactile is most felt on the plastic plate.

WTB stainless steel plate

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1562 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 19:48:30 »

After weeks of use, I kinda prefer the stainless steel, although the tactile is most felt on the plastic plate.

What switch do you use on the stainless steel?

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #1563 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 21:11:59 »

Cherry ergo clear on stainless steel
Zealio tactile on plastic

Offline E3E

« Reply #1564 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 23:35:20 »

Cherry ergo clear on stainless steel
Zealio tactile on plastic

I certainly hope I don't regret aluminum for my vintage MX white switches on the Octagon v2! I've never used Aluminum before, but MX greens sounded like crap on the Octagon v1. To be fair, vintage whites sound so much nicer. I put them in Zealio housings and they are more consistent. Slightly louder (stock housings had them a bit inconsistent and practically mute, which was intriguing), but still quiet and refined. They remind me of Alps a bit. They sound icky with SA caps, but sounded great with Cherry profile PBT. I'm hoping they'll sound good with GMK, though I'm thinking that GMK SNES might not ever hit MQO. I hope I'm wrong about that, because that is THE set I want for the Octagon v2.

Otherwise, I'm gonna have to try and find a PBT set I can dye, haha.

Also, I keep forgetting, but I wanted to thank you for your tips on brightness adjustment, man, that really helped! I can't find an LED scheme that goes well with Jukebox though. :/

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #1565 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 17:31:54 »

I certainly hope I don't regret aluminum for my vintage MX white switches on the Octagon v2! I've never used Aluminum before, but MX greens sounded like crap on the Octagon v1. To be fair, vintage whites sound so much nicer. I put them in Zealio housings and they are more consistent. Slightly louder (stock housings had them a bit inconsistent and practically mute, which was intriguing), but still quiet and refined. They remind me of Alps a bit. They sound icky with SA caps, but sounded great with Cherry profile PBT. I'm hoping they'll sound good with GMK, though I'm thinking that GMK SNES might not ever hit MQO. I hope I'm wrong about that, because that is THE set I want for the Octagon v2.

Otherwise, I'm gonna have to try and find a PBT set I can dye, haha.

Also, I keep forgetting, but I wanted to thank you for your tips on brightness adjustment, man, that really helped! I can't find an LED scheme that goes well with Jukebox though. :/

No problem! Glad  that helped. I think aluminum could be a safe choice in terms of switch feel and sound.

Offline aznairjordan

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1566 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 00:58:30 »
I finally got my board built and running.  My spacebar is a bit mushy. Is the only way fix this issue to put a heavy spring in it? Also, I can't seem control the led brightness. It just turns the leds on or off when I use led ctrl..
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 February 2016, 01:14:31 by aznairjordan »
TGR Jane CE|FC660C|Orion V2
GMK Hyperfuse|GMK Olivetti|GMK Red Alert|Soulfree's Teal|GMK Cyan

Offline E3E

« Reply #1567 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 01:20:15 »
I finally got my board built and running.  My spacebar is a bit mushy. Is the only way fix this issue to put a heavy spring in it? Also, I can't seem control the led brightness. It just turns the leds on or off when I use led ctrl..

Super tight fitting caps can cause a somewhat mushy feel if you press the stablizer mounts down as far as they can go. I've seen this on Gateron PBT space bars. I forget if GMK had this issue.

Offline aznairjordan

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1568 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 01:37:02 »

Super tight fitting caps can cause a somewhat mushy feel if you press the stablizer mounts down as far as they can go. I've seen this on Gateron PBT space bars. I forget if GMK had this issue.

I just flashed a firmware and I forgot to switch the B/S to the key to the left of it.. Now I can't flash anything onto it :( Did I really screw up badly? Or is there a fix for this?

Offline E3E

« Reply #1569 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 01:44:27 »

I just flashed a firmware and I forgot to switch the B/S to the key to the left of it.. Now I can't flash anything onto it :( Did I really screw up badly? Or is there a fix for this?

From what I understand, it's not actually bound to Backspace itself, but simply the key in that position, and that cannot be altered through the firmware.

In otherwords, I think you should be fine. Just try holding the key down while plugging the board in again. Make sure you unplug the cable all the way first; I've done some lazy unplugs where I only barely disconnect the cable until I hear the disconnect sound from Windows, but that has proven to be a false positive at times.

I hope I've understood you correctly! Sorry if I've misinterpreted anything.

Offline aznairjordan

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1570 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 01:52:53 »

From what I understand, it's not actually bound to Backspace itself, but simply the key in that position, and that cannot be altered through the firmware.

In otherwords, I think you should be fine. Just try holding the key down while plugging the board in again. Make sure you unplug the cable all the way first; I've done some lazy unplugs where I only barely disconnect the cable until I hear the disconnect sound from Windows, but that has proven to be a false positive at times.

I am able to connect and upload firmware like the custom orion v2 preset one, but when the firmware upload box comes up I get a memory write error, use debug for more info. message. None of the keys work at this point,

Full message says
3-2. frmware write...
Checking memory from 0x0 to 0x6FFF... Empty.
0%    100% Programming 0x7000 bytes
[ X Error
Memory write error, use debug for more info.
3-3. restart device...
Firmware upload done.
press any key to continue...

Offline E3E

« Reply #1571 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 02:34:59 »

I am able to connect and upload firmware like the custom orion v2 preset one, but when the firmware upload box comes up I get a memory write error, use debug for more info. message. None of the keys work at this point,

Full message says
3-2. frmware write...
[ X Error
3-3. restart device...
Firmware upload done.

Oh, hmmm... I have not run  into this issue before.  :-X I wish I could be more assistance to you, but hopefully someone else around here can help you. I can't imagine that you've bricked your keyboard. There has to be a way to resolve this issue. :(

Offline filphil

« Reply #1572 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 02:47:15 »

Full message says
3-2. frmware write...
[ X Error
3-3. restart device...
Firmware upload done.

Try renaming the hex file to something simple .hex and upload it using the FLIP program. After that I've got nothing for ya.

Offline aznairjordan

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1573 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 02:50:58 »

Full message says
3-2. frmware write...
[ X Error
3-3. restart device...
Firmware upload done.

Try renaming the hex file to something simple .hex and upload it using the FLIP program. After that I've got nothing for ya.

do you mind linking me to the flip program? or more so how to use it?
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 February 2016, 02:56:06 by aznairjordan »

Offline filphil

« Reply #1574 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 03:04:07 »

Full message says
3-2. frmware write...
[ X Error
3-3. restart device...
Firmware upload done.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=49647.0

The steps are there. Major differences are that you'll be using the 02d software to make your hex file, hold back space to bring your orion to programming mode when you're plugging it in, and the controller chip name will be located on your pcb.

Offline aznairjordan

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1575 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 03:31:57 »

Full message says
3-2. frmware write...
[ X Error
3-3. restart device...
Firmware upload done.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=49647.0

The steps are there. Major differences are that you'll be using the 02d software to make your hex file, hold back space to bring your orion to programming mode when you're plugging it in, and the controller chip name will be located on your pcb.

you have no idea how much i love you right now :) typed from my orion! now to figure out the damn leds..

Offline filphil

« Reply #1576 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 03:37:04 »
I pretty much use flip exclusively. The sole exceptions are the pcbs from leeku.

Glad we got one issue solved. I don't have leds yet so I can't help you on that front.

Offline filphil

« Reply #1577 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 01:06:28 »
Finally got one coming to me

Offline VereChi

« Reply #1578 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 03:38:10 »

Show Image

Where did u get this?

Looks Awesome

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #1579 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 07:24:59 »

Show Image

Is this a custom weight? :confused:

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1580 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 07:37:29 »

Show Image

Yes.
The aluminum bottom has space designed for a weight to be placed inside.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline mrboovn

« Reply #1581 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 09:22:52 »

Show Image

Where did u get this?

Looks Awesome
From Orion v2's Group buy in South Korea
OTD 356 mini- 360c-456GT-356CL DGE-DK Saver(ALPS Green) | Duck Eagle V1+V2-Viper V1+V2-Poker-Pad-Orion V2-Octagon V2-Lightsaver V2-Kingsaver | KMAC Happy(60%)-Happy HHKB |LZ GH -LZ MX Mini | 2x TGR-CE-2x TGR 910 | TX CP | Dolphin V2-GH Edition|EM7 GH|ENVKX|M5-92|E8-V1|Exent|Matrix Abel|VNMK MX-Mini | Cherry G80-5000HAMRB |Realforce 108UW Hi Pro-45g 55UW-HHKB
Octagon v2-LSV v2-KMAC 1.2-Blackbird

https://www.flickr.com/gp/97473780@N08/10mLE5

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #1582 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 12:34:52 »

Show Image

Yes.

Ah - always wondered what that hole was for, now that I know I feel quite stupid :p

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1583 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 13:01:08 »

Show Image

Yes.

Ah - always wondered what that hole was for, now that I know I feel quite stupid :p

So how do I get one?

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1584 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 13:12:35 »

Show Image

Yes.

So how do I get one?

Step one: learn Korean
Step two: find a Korean friend after quitting learning
Step three: cry that you missed the group buy and that you have no friends
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1585 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 13:21:20 »

Show Image

Yes.

So how do I get one?

Step one: learn Korean
Step two: find a Korean friend after quitting learning
Step three: cry that you missed the group buy and that you have no friends

Just ordered Rosetta Stone (Korean).

:thumb:

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1586 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 13:22:15 »

Show Image

Very nice filphil! I was about to pick one up myself but ended up selling my board. ;)

Offline filphil

« Reply #1587 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 18:14:15 »
Yep in terms of how to get one you'll have to find someone in the korean community to try and source you one.  I have no Korean learned in the process.

Show Image

Very nice filphil! I was about to pick one up myself but ended up selling my board. ;)

I'd argue you've got a pretty good project in return for the board though!

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1588 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 18:31:53 »

Show Image

Yeah haha I'd say it's a rather good trade, I'm hoping I won't regret it. Definitely a lot more work for this upcoming board but it should be worth it. :thumb:

Offline Pemdas

• (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ᶠᶫᵒᵃᵗᶦᶰᵍ ᶫᶦᵏᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵘᵗᵗᵉʳᶠᶫʸ
« Reply #1589 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 21:26:34 »

Show Image

That looks so good but I guess you can't see it when it's installed in the board :(

Was this specific to the korean buys? Any reason it wasn't available in the geekhack groupbuy? I would've loved some extra heft to this board :p
HHKB2 | Orion v2 | TGR-03 Proto | Octagon v2 | JD45 | BlackBird | Mira SE | Viper v2 | SX60 | E8-v1 | Alice | LZ GH v2 | No 1/65 | 910SE | Kyuu | LZ CLS ms | UNIKORN | PhysiX

Offline filphil

« Reply #1590 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 00:00:24 »

Show Image

Yeah haha I'd say it's a rather good trade, I'm hoping I won't regret it. Definitely a lot more work for this upcoming board but it should be worth it. :thumb:

Idk how you walk around with those massive balls of yours. I'd **** myself desoldering and soldering that.

Show Image

That looks so good but I guess you can't see it when it's installed in the board :(

Was this specific to the korean buys? Any reason it wasn't available in the geekhack groupbuy? I would've loved some extra heft to this board :p

I'm not sure of the history with the plate and the group buy. I can certainly ask. I've seen a few boards on kbdlab.co.kr with the plate though so it wasn't a one off.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1591 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 00:07:24 »

Show Image

Idk how you walk around with those massive balls of yours. I'd **** myself desoldering and soldering that.

Haha luckily I didn't need to desolder, it was never built after all these years. Luckily if something were to go wrong the PCBs are so basic that it'd be easy to follow the traces and jump a switch. I doubt that'll happen though. The only worrying thing is to solder the cable in the correct order especially when I'm swapping it to USB or else I could fry the PCB. My balls still aren't as big as originally thought. ;)

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #1592 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 00:37:54 »
Just finished installing sip sockets and switches onto the PCB. Soldering still needs to be done. I also put keys in to get a feel of the board and my 67g Zealios. Really delightful. Zealios are wicked and the board is an awsome typing experience!  Although I still need to perform soldering I sat down to get used to the 02D software. Must admit I am rather confused. This is my first custom and I have not programmed any boards previously. May I ask the noob question what you guys use your layers for? Also, anyone interested in sharing configs? Would be awsome to have a Duck custom keyboard hex database on i.e. GitHub.

Offline filphil

« Reply #1593 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 04:04:31 »
Just finished installing sip sockets and switches onto the PCB. Soldering still needs to be done. I also put keys in to get a feel of the board and my 67g Zealios. Really delightful. Zealios are wicked and the board is an awsome typing experience!  Although I still need to perform soldering I sat down to get used to the 02D software. Must admit I am rather confused. This is my first custom and I have not programmed any boards previously. May I ask the noob question what you guys use your layers for? Also, anyone interested in sharing configs? Would be awsome to have a Duck custom keyboard hex database on i.e. GitHub.

I really don't use the layer function. Admittedly I don't think I have a use for it but I kept function layer 4 from from default for the rgb control.

Offline omgar

« Reply #1594 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 08:23:18 »

On my Orion I have Control mapped to Caps Lock and Layer 2 mapped to L Ctrl. In layer 2 I have media controls on Z (Prev), X (Pause), C (Next), V (Vol Down), B (Vol Up). That's it for right now. I'm still waiting on some LED's so I haven't played too much with any of the LED controls.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1595 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 09:58:37 »

I really don't use the layer function. Admittedly I don't think I have a use for it but I kept function layer 4 from from default for the rgb control.

I use my function layer all the time, but that's on my 60%. As for my TKL, the only time I use it is for controlling the LEDs and accessing the numpad a la Realforce.

Offline filphil

« Reply #1596 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 18:33:13 »

I use my function layer all the time, but that's on my 60%. As for my TKL, the only time I use it is for controlling the LEDs and accessing the numpad a la Realforce.

I guess i could do something similar since a numpad can be pretty useful. Really i just want to use the 5 leds in the home cluster. I dislike underutilized features on my boards.

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1597 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 20:41:13 »
Is it possible to be too in love with a keyboard?

Offline filphil

« Reply #1598 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 21:03:04 »

Depends... Did you put your manhood in it?

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1599 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 21:20:33 »

Depends... Did you put your manhood in it?

Well, things got a bit weird... Oh god the feels again...  :-[