Author Topic: POKER Interest Check  (Read 18953 times)

Offline Permeability

Re: POKER Interest Check
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 08:31:11 »
I had indicated that I wanted a Poker with MX Blues, but I've had a change of heart. I'd like to get one with MX Blacks please.

Those are available now: http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=111
Keyboards:
'The Cheat' - lubed 62g Clears
Ducky Shine 3 TKL lubed 45g Reds (Work)

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 08:45:54 »
I had indicated that I wanted a Poker with MX Blues, but I've had a change of heart. I'd like to get one with MX Blacks please.

Those are available now: http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=111

Doh! Thank you for the heads up.

Offline ShakeR

• http://mechanicalkeyboards.com
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 12:30:38 »
A heads up for everyone:

Vortex has decided to cancel our order for the original Pokers and they'll be replacing them with Poker 2's.

This will add a little more delay, but the new version should be an improvement.
MechanicalKeyboards.com - What do you type on?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 12:31:41 »
Poker X > Poker 2 ;D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline ShakeR

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 12:33:15 »
Poker X > Poker 2 ;D

Really?

Please tell me why as I may lobby for the original version.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 12:47:02 »
The beautiful thing about the Poker X has always been the ability to easily swap out the keycaps with standard ANSI keycap sets. The new Poker 2 layout is most decidedly non-standard. If you thought the Race was a nightmare to find keycaps for, just take a look at this layout:

Show Image

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline sordna

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 15:53:09 »
Yup, Poker X has its benefits, but Poker 2 has its benefits too. Having used a Poker X (i take it during travel) I'd say I'd prefer a Poker 2 due to the arrow keys. Although one thing I don't quite like on the Poker 2 is the tiny backspace. I'd rather have a bigger backspace, a regular backslash (instead of that Del) and the Del button in the Fn layer ...which should ideally be programmable :-)

By the way, what's that Pn button, between the right Alt and Fn buttons ???
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline yearn4

• formerly known as 4en
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 08 February 2013, 00:56:18 »
A heads up for everyone:

Vortex has decided to cancel our order for the original Pokers and they'll be replacing them with Poker 2's.

This will add a little more delay, but the new version should be an improvement.

That sucks. The new Poker 2 is impossible to prettify due to its whacko keys. Was looking forward to that last batch :-\

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 08 February 2013, 07:40:14 »
It's just a bananas layout.  :rolleyes:

Unless Vortex is planning on offering key cap sets, I don't know how you'd replace the default keys on this board. Your only option is to do custom keys from WASD Keyboards.

I have the KBT Race LE (from you) and a KBT Pure and I'm close to pulling the trigger on one of the Pokers you have left in stock. My motivation? Pretty much any ANSI set of keys would work. Which is really the next step isn't it?

First you buy your board and then the next logical step is to look at upgrading your key caps to either a different color, or different material. Unfortunately, there are some real challenges with boards like the Race and I see the Poker 2 being even more of a challenge. Case in point, there's an IC for [http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38563.0]Special Key Caps[/url] for boards like the Race and Choco to fill the gaps.

I'm not saying you wouldn't sell some, but most of the feedback I've heard from those that are passionate about compact keyboards is not all that positive. Just my two cents.

Offline ShakeR

« Reply #59 on: Fri, 08 February 2013, 09:43:20 »
There may be an interesting development regarding the Pokers that I'm not sure I can announce yet.

If you think you know what I'm talking about please let me know - I honestly lose track of what I'm not supposed to say and what's already public knowledge. ;)

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 08 February 2013, 14:56:12 »
Well... based on what's been discussed in other threads, I think this sums up what we know.  :rolleyes:

Copied from: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=37444.msg774511#msg774511
To recap on the coming 60% boards:
Poker 2
Poker Pro
Poker "classic" - Unclear whether or not this will be programmable like Poker 2, but it will have the original Poker layout.
Poker "DIY" - Programmable + different layouts supported.

Leopold FC660M
Filco 60%
Rumored 60% Name = Ginkyo? TKB600 [Click here for the official thread]

Stuff in the quote below and posts through mid January is semi outdated. Remember, it was an engineering sample. Specs were subject to change and change it did. Main change is that it was changed to fully programmable top and function layer. Not sure if it has a programmable layer (a 3rd layer on the sample). If it does not, I wonder what PN does. Anyhow, it is called Poker 2 or Pure Pro depending on region and language.

Quote from: laffindude
Show Image

Engineering sample. Happy 60% family.

I'll write more later.

So I been using this for the past hour or so. I almost feel right at home, obviously since I do have my share of mini boards. I don't want to talk too much about the function, since that could be subject to change. I'll just go over the layout a little bit plus a few tibits.

This is obviously very much like a HHKB Pro 2 JP, the odd stagger and bottom right arrow keys and all. Fitting all these keys have made a very complicated bottom row. So there is a Fn key on each side now, in addition to that Pn. That squished the space bar down to 4.5x, which is what a JP layout Filco uses, so it isn't made of unobtainium. With the odd stagger comes with the kinda off 2x Lshift. That isn't hard to get since you can use num_0 for that. Not a huge deal. There aren't any hard to get key sizes for this board, which is a huge plus, though it does obviously need a bunch of R1 1x keys. So if you like boring black (blank) boards like myself, you should have not too much problem acquiring keycaps. If not, that's not my problem ;)

The function layer is closer to the Pure than it is to Poker. It is missing some superfluous things like Numlock. It obviously lost the arrows since there are physical keys now. If you noticed my post below somewhere, you'd notice the Pn key. It is hardware based, but I think you're limited to what is on the board already. I don't like the location of the FN and Pn keys. YMMV of course. I wish the there is a dip switch setting to change the left FN to Pn key.

Now onto the board itself. It has same mounting holes as a Pure. I am sure some of you will jizz your pants at the next statement... It is a plate mount. It doesn't feel flimsy and light like plastic cased Poker and Pure. It's a solid feeling board. I don't get to play with this for an extended time, so I won't mount it in my aluminum Pure case (which is dampened and weighted down. It will be epic when I buy a production board.).

AFAIK, they are interested in doing ISO layouts (I believe French, German, and Spanish layouts, there is another one I don't remember). So if you want it in ISO layout... Speak up, so I can tell the dude there is an definite interest in those layouts when I hand the board back. I save the last 2 paragraphs together since plate mount requires different plates for different layouts.

That's it for now with the limited amount of time I have my hands on it... and I really don't like typing on MX blacks.
PS I already passed suggestion for greens back ;)
PS2. Apparently I like using obviously very much. Obviously.

Offline realex

« Reply #61 on: Fri, 08 February 2013, 16:26:45 »
i hope the "classic" just remains 100% what it was for a long time now - don't see a need for anything else mentioned in the leaked info.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 08 February 2013, 17:44:18 »
Oh yeah, Binge just reminded me that there's also the new board from Tex.

From this link

No need for me to leak anything I guess ;)

Show Image

Here are some more pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jewu8210/sets/72157632574538186/with/8400932182/
Datasheets: https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B7TuRf3KQe7GNTE0RmQ2SDEzeEU/edit

The OP is 1 of 2 engineers that designed the board. He also helped designing the Poker and Pure, though he partnered with another ex Vortex engineer to start TEX.
Notice the nice CNC milled aluminum upper case. It is in brushed finish and anodized.

If you read the datasheet, don't get excited at the memory thing. It is just there to save the settings you customized (FN + QWERT).
Also, I believe the wider than needed space around the miniUSB is for 90° cable. I saw the cable hiding in a corner in another picture that isn't posted.

Is that the new news you have?

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #63 on: Sat, 09 February 2013, 01:21:50 »
Oh shoot, will there be any more runs of a Red cherry mx poker?
Having a bad day?
QFR/Pure/FC660C(45G)/HHKB Pro 2(45G)/RF 87U (55G)

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #64 on: Sat, 09 February 2013, 22:34:55 »
There may be an interesting development regarding the Pokers that I'm not sure I can announce yet.

If you think you know what I'm talking about please let me know - I honestly lose track of what I'm not supposed to say and what's already public knowledge. ;)

If you are referring to the other poker that has the same layout as the version 1, someone posted pictures of it in KBDMania

Offline ShakeR

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 13:42:13 »
OK, yes - it's already public knowledge. To clarify - the Poker Pro should be coming in March or April and I'm told it's just as customizable as the original Poker.

Should this be an acceptable substitute or are there items with the Poker Pro that are inferior to the classic?

Offline frankacy

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 14:22:44 »
Just to be clear, the Poker Pro won't have the same layout as the Poker X, correct?

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 14:26:08 »
OK, yes - it's already public knowledge. To clarify - the Poker Pro should be coming in March or April and I'm told it's just as customizable as the original Poker.

Should this be an acceptable substitute or are there items with the Poker Pro that are inferior to the classic?

So does this mean you're not getting any more Poker X/Classic models in?

Offline ShakeR

« Reply #68 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 09:52:08 »

Correct. They were going to make one last batch for us, but decided not to.

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 11:04:29 »

Noooooooo
Having a bad day?
QFR/Pure/FC660C(45G)/HHKB Pro 2(45G)/RF 87U (55G)

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 14:12:18 »
 :eek: Sounds like I'll be heading to see you next week then to pickup one of the ones you have left.

Offline frankacy

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 16:42:20 »

Noooooooo

This made me sad as well, as the only layout I'm really interested in is the Poker X

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #72 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 19:40:54 »
Don't worry. There is a custom, community driven, DIY keyboard coming out soon where you can have the Poker (ANSI standard) layout again.

I love the Poker X, too, but it seems to be gone forever at this point.

in memoriam

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #73 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 19:08:53 »
With only one remaining Poker listed on MH.com, I went ahead and bit the bullet and ordered it this evening. I don't have any boards with MX Blacks and figured this would make a great board to travel with.

Was hoping to just pick it up when I come out for a visit at the end of the week, or early next, but couldn't risk missing the opportunity to purchase a new Poker.  :rolleyes:

Now I just have to find a way to explain all this to my wife!  :p

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #74 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 19:24:06 »
Did you get the limited alum. case one? I think it had mx blacks?
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
Re: Re: POKER Interest Check
« Reply #75 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 19:28:00 »

That's the Pure not Poker, although mashby does also have one of those :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 February 2013, 19:38:21 by Jocelyn »

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
Re: Re: POKER Interest Check
« Reply #76 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 19:40:01 »

That's the Pure not Poker, although mashby does also have one of those :)

Jocelyn is right. The only aluminum cases for the Poker that I'm aware of were all 3rd party.

Offline remedyhalopc

POKER Interest Check
« Reply #77 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 20:51:46 »
Just out of curiosity would it be cheaper to buy a PCB/Plate from imav and get switches or just buy a premade board?

Offline Gupgup

• * Vendor
« Reply #78 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 22:21:58 »
Just out of curiosity would it be cheaper to buy a PCB/Plate from imav and get switches or just buy a premade board?

Probably cheaper to build your own.

The PCB/Plate is around 30 shipped, correct?

70 Used switches, maybe 30.

Used plastic Poker case, probably like 15 if someone is generous.

Looking at $75 if you're lucky on the case, but I don't really know what those go for.

Plus building your own keyboard is always more fun than buying one :)

Offline laden3

« Reply #79 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 22:52:06 »
It is more like $40+ shipped, shipping for just the pcb is $11+. Just saying.

Of course, building your own keyboard is fun but finding the case is just a pain in the ass.
I rrrove brrracks.

Offline Rafen

« Reply #80 on: Sun, 24 February 2013, 09:57:52 »
Does anyone know where I can find information on the Poker pro that is going to be released?

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #81 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 14:26:29 »
Does anyone know where I can find information on the Poker pro that is going to be released?

most of the info on this site about that board has come from facebook so far...
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline Rafen

« Reply #82 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 13:26:57 »
Thanks I just found  bunch of info on it and I hate the new layout. They should have just kept it the same.