Author Topic: [IC] Evolv | A four year journey complete  (Read 396630 times)

Offline FireLock

Re: [IC] Evolv has Evolved | More organic base for v2, check page 9.
« Reply #450 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 12:42:57 »
Hotswap would indeed be an interesting option. Would most likely buy both. But only if both were ISO ofc. #rip#wallet

Skickat från min SM-G960F via Tapatalk

Offline nuno99costa

« Reply #451 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 12:59:20 »
I don't know if this has been answered yet, but do you have a estimate/range for pricing after these new changes? I initial didn't really consider this board do to it's price estimate, but if the changes managed to significantly change the cost it might be accessible to me and other people who we're initial turned of by the estimated price.

Sent from my GM1910 using Tapatalk

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #452 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 13:29:26 »
I don't know if this has been answered yet, but do you have a estimate/range for pricing after these new changes? I initial didn't really consider this board do to it's price estimate, but if the changes managed to significantly change the cost it might be accessible to me and other people who we're initial turned of by the estimated price.

Sent from my GM1910 using Tapatalk

It will be cheaper compared to the first iteration, but I don't have anything that I'm ready (or prepared) to share at the moment.

Offline Luciqueii

• 【Luciquell & Co.】
« Reply #453 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 16:05:35 »
This is a crazy keyboard, I am in for sure. Thank you for making this happen (:

Offline dlavelle94

« Reply #454 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 06:13:51 »
This is a thing of beauty, I am 1000% in.

Offline Cobalt

« Reply #455 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 13:54:56 »
Millmax sockets cost maybe $15-30 depending on what model you get. It adds maybe 15 more min to the soldering process. I much prefer having stepped caps and all the other layout options all on 1 pcb rather than driving up the price and QC time to buy separate fixed hotswap pcbs. I understand the convenience of hotswap and it has it's benefits, but soldering is not hard guys. Get millmax sockets if you want hotswap.

Would you be kind enough to show me where I can buy mill max sockets for $15-30 for a tkl? I would love to have lots of layout options as well but I find myself switching switches (heh) more often than layouts.

Offline ab042896

« Reply #456 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 14:18:04 »
Millmax sockets cost maybe $15-30 depending on what model you get. It adds maybe 15 more min to the soldering process. I much prefer having stepped caps and all the other layout options all on 1 pcb rather than driving up the price and QC time to buy separate fixed hotswap pcbs. I understand the convenience of hotswap and it has it's benefits, but soldering is not hard guys. Get millmax sockets if you want hotswap.

Would you be kind enough to show me where I can buy mill max sockets for $15-30 for a tkl? I would love to have lots of layout options as well but I find myself switching switches (heh) more often than layouts.
Depending where your from: https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=0305-2-15-80-47-80-10-0%20
If you get 2 per switch and add some extras for multiple layout compatibility, so about 200 sockets, it'll be almost $30 for a TKL.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 May 2020, 14:26:45 by ab042896 »

Offline ppnp253

« Reply #457 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 18:27:42 »

Depending where your from: https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=0305-2-15-80-47-80-10-0%20
If you get 2 per switch and add some extras for multiple layout compatibility, so about 200 sockets, it'll be almost $30 for a TKL.

^ Yup.
If you're in NA, u/tonsoffun49 does occasional gb's for millmax sockets. https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/fzjwkb/gb_millmax_sockets_0305_7305_24_pin_dip_socket/

Offline Cobalt

« Reply #458 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 09:07:45 »

[/quote]

The only caveat is that shipping to where I live would cost another 20$(Im form eastern Europe). Moreover Id have to buy a decent soldering station ( + solder) or pay someone to do it. With all these added costs Id rather buy another pcb. The soldering station might be a good investment in general but I dont plan on making/buying any keyboards for a long while after this one.

Offline TibtibThePrincess

• Look but don't buy
« Reply #459 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 09:46:17 »

The only caveat is that shipping to where I live would cost another 20$(Im form eastern Europe). Moreover Id have to buy a decent soldering station ( + solder) or pay someone to do it. With all these added costs Id rather buy another pcb. The soldering station might be a good investment in general but I dont plan on making/buying any keyboards for a long while after this one.

If you are in Europe you can order them through https://mykeyboard.eu/catalogue/mill-max-7305-hotswap-receptacles-40-pack-for-20-switches_2097/ right now so the total price should be lower if you order it there.

Offline Cobalt

« Reply #460 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 11:54:46 »
If you are in Europe you can order them through https://mykeyboard.eu/catalogue/mill-max-7305-hotswap-receptacles-40-pack-for-20-switches_2097/ right now so the total price should be lower if you order it there.

It's only ~5 euro cheaper but if I'll ever buy something from them I'll consider getting those sockets as well. Thanks!

Offline AT

« Reply #461 on: Thu, 14 May 2020, 06:24:05 »
Cool Bottom. ;)

Offline GMK83

« Reply #462 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 06:54:02 »
I’m really looking forward to this board’s release.  It’s been great to see the evolution of the Evolv thus far!

Offline TibtibThePrincess

• Look but don't buy
« Reply #463 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 10:47:42 »
Any plans for artisan knobs like the Rama knob for the Satisfaction 75?

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline Vidhur100

« Reply #464 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 15:15:47 »
Is there an estimate for when the GB is?

Offline Wamuu

« Reply #465 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 18:33:58 »
I'd still like to see even more organic design. I still would like to see maybe branching that also goes laterally instead of just straight down the middle from the initial branch.

Offline perry4761

« Reply #466 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 22:15:44 »
Is the resin version happening? If so, will it be happening at the same time as the metal one or after? Would you be willing to license the files for people who were not lucky enough to win the raffle, but have access to a 3d printer and want to make their own case?

I was not planning on joining anything else for at least a year, but this project is so unique that I would join tomorrow if the GB opened then. Can't wait!
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 May 2020, 19:21:27 by perry4761 »

Offline wing1098

« Reply #467 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 22:20:38 »
interested, how much it will be? :thumb:

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #468 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 13:07:30 »
cool
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #469 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 13:44:55 »
Any plans for artisan knobs like the Rama knob for the Satisfaction 75?
Show Image

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Yes! More details as we get closer to launch!

I'd still like to see even more organic design. I still would like to see maybe branching that also goes laterally instead of just straight down the middle from the initial branch.

Me too, however, manufacturing the base is a complicated problem as it is. I've spent the last two weeks working and reworking the base with my manufacturer, and unfortunately, very organic geometry like that doesn't get made cheaply.

Is there an estimate for when the GB is?

Not yet

interested, how much it will be? :thumb:

TBD

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #470 on: Fri, 22 May 2020, 05:14:09 »
I wait on GMK Ursa , now just need my ISO Evolv.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline Alpha1

Re: [IC] Evolv has Evolved | Updated OP + Prototype Writeup + New IC Form
« Reply #471 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 20:41:35 »
Another thought is that this layout with the joystick encoder is exactly what I, and many others, want, if you could offer the same layout but in a less premium package (simpler machined or injection molded base) after this first one is done. Have your halo tier typing experience focused model, and a more accessible hobbyist model. Though I understand if that takes away from your whole concept here.

I have plans for exactly this, but it won't be until after the Evolv GB completes

I was reading through the comments on this interest check and saw this. Would you be able to expand upon this idea? I really love the design but I'm not sure it will be in my budget, even with the redesign.

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #472 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 22:43:23 »
Another thought is that this layout with the joystick encoder is exactly what I, and many others, want, if you could offer the same layout but in a less premium package (simpler machined or injection molded base) after this first one is done. Have your halo tier typing experience focused model, and a more accessible hobbyist model. Though I understand if that takes away from your whole concept here.

I have plans for exactly this, but it won't be until after the Evolv GB completes

I was reading through the comments on this interest check and saw this. Would you be able to expand upon this idea? I really love the design but I'm not sure it will be in my budget, even with the redesign.

Yep! After the Evolv is complete I plan on doing a more financially accessible 65% version.

Offline CrazyAssMonkey

« Reply #473 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 22:46:21 »

Yep! After the Evolv is complete I plan on doing a more financially accessible 65% version.

Cough 60%/45% cough   :-X

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #474 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 22:55:58 »

If only I liked either of those layouts lol.

Maybe one day :p

Offline CrazyAssMonkey

« Reply #475 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 22:58:43 »

If only I liked either of those layouts lol.

Maybe one day :p

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Offline dlavelle94

« Reply #476 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 02:27:07 »
It has everything I want, but scared to see what the price will be  :confused:

Offline chickenballs

« Reply #477 on: Sun, 31 May 2020, 10:14:19 »
What is that keycap set in the first renders (the blue and pink/orange on the black top) it looks amazing

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline Leche

« Reply #478 on: Sun, 31 May 2020, 10:20:26 »
What is that keycap set in the first renders (the blue and pink/orange on the black top) it looks amazing

PBT Amalfi. It's in IC currently and also being ran by Nathan

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #479 on: Sun, 31 May 2020, 12:03:42 »

PBT Amalfi. It's in IC currently and also being ran by Nathan

Shameless self shill: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=106530.0

Offline Bokuwahero

« Reply #480 on: Mon, 01 June 2020, 15:07:32 »
Is there going to be a limit on this or is it open GB?

Offline frostfiree

« Reply #481 on: Mon, 01 June 2020, 16:16:37 »

With the complexity of the design, I sure hope there is a limit. QC would be a living hell otherwise.
Jane V2 | Jane V2 CE | Thermal | Kei | GSKT-00 | Duck Orion V3 | U80 | Salvation | 378 | HHKB | Cloudline | Bias | TKL One | Kaze | Jane V2 ME

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #482 on: Mon, 01 June 2020, 16:40:28 »

With the complexity of the design, I sure hope there is a limit. QC would be a living hell otherwise.

This is correct, GB will be limited, with spots be allocated through a raffle

Offline FlitzDeelman

« Reply #483 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 04:12:44 »
This looks awesome. You say v2 will (hopefully) be cheaper than v1 - I can’t find much info online about v1.

Could you let me know the price for v1, so I can tell my wallet what the upper limit (or even just ballpark figure) will be?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline zandegran

« Reply #484 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 05:39:10 »

This is correct, GB will be limited, with spots be allocated through a raffle
Fingers crossed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline stuey138

« Reply #485 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 05:47:21 »
This looks awesome. You say v2 will (hopefully) be cheaper than v1 - I can’t find much info online about v1.

Could you let me know the price for v1, so I can tell my wallet what the upper limit (or even just ballpark figure) will be?

For V1, the only price was that it would be under 1000 dollars

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #486 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 07:22:46 »

And clearly it was not. Haha

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline FlitzDeelman

« Reply #487 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 07:27:31 »

Ouch. I’ll still keep an eye on this, but I might then rather set my heart on something more conventional, like a Duck or the upcoming Rama M65-B, however long that will take.

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #488 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 12:55:05 »

Ouch. I’ll still keep an eye on this, but I might then rather set my heart on something more conventional, like a Duck or the upcoming Rama M65-B, however long that will take.

V1 was never released, which is why so little info is available on it. In short, I was unhappy with a number of aspects on the prototype, so I ended up redesigning the board to not only bring down cost, but also to make the entire Evolv experience better.

Offline FlitzDeelman

« Reply #489 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 12:59:13 »
Thanks @NathanAlphaMan. It still looks awesome, so I will keep an eye on this and hope my wallet is strong when it hits GB.

Offline syke

« Reply #490 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 00:43:05 »
the more i look at the prototypes, i feel there is a slight mismatch between the top and bottom half.
the bottom looks really organic, like the roots of a tree. but the top half looks structured and industrial.
I feel if the bottom half were to be more symmetrical and "grill" like, the entire package would be better matched. just my opinion.

Offline bow3i

« Reply #491 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 12:06:42 »
The redesign has me interested! Any possible price estimate? This look a lot more forgiving on the wallet to produce. I hope it is.

Offline Sunhwan Jeong

« Reply #492 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 13:01:47 »
Personally, I think that the rounded corners of the top will help feel more organic and living thing. This is because creatures do not have angles.

Offline Wamuu

« Reply #493 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 19:14:05 »
Personally, I think that the rounded corners of the top will help feel more organic and living thing. This is because creatures do not have angles.
Ooo good point!

Offline FreshCake

« Reply #494 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 09:51:31 »
This is a very promising keyboard indeed!
But with the effort you have put into this project, only 50 units of this keyboard would be a disappointment to many people.

Ps. the color in Mito's website is INSANE!
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 June 2020, 14:00:10 by FreshCake »

Offline Butterbeer

« Reply #495 on: Thu, 11 June 2020, 02:14:14 »
Ooo good point!

Let's not carried away with the organic motif or else we might end up with a wooden keyboard design.

The contrast between the top and bottom halves gives it a Neofuturist architectural look.

Offline DonaldPShimoda

« Reply #496 on: Thu, 11 June 2020, 03:22:29 »
This is a very promising keyboard indeed!
But with the effort you have put into this project, only 50 units of this keyboard would be a disappointment to many people.

Ps. the color in Mito's website is INSANE!

I don't think the 50 units is a problem... so long as I get one of them.  ;)

(More would definitely be appreciated!)

Offline marshskitow

« Reply #497 on: Thu, 11 June 2020, 04:48:36 »
See a lot a people talking about the price and i was also interested to know but i think it's gonna be more than 500 right ? even more than 600 i guess.

Whatever it's gonna be to expensive for me but this is  the best design keyboard i've ever seen so far. Congratulation guys.

Offline prizeS

• TastyKeys
« Reply #498 on: Thu, 11 June 2020, 08:15:36 »
See a lot a people talking about the price and i was also interested to know but i think it's gonna be more than 500 right ? even more than 600 i guess.

Whatever it's gonna be to expensive for me but this is  the best design keyboard i've ever seen so far. Congratulation guys.

i wouldn't be surprised if this was around $1000.
i lub 65% and wkl tkl.

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #499 on: Thu, 11 June 2020, 16:51:10 »

i wouldn't be surprised if this was around $1000.

I'm targeting around $800 for r2, but no promises on that

the more i look at the prototypes, i feel there is a slight mismatch between the top and bottom half.
the bottom looks really organic, like the roots of a tree. but the top half looks structured and industrial.
I feel if the bottom half were to be more symmetrical and "grill" like, the entire package would be better matched. just my opinion.

Ooo good point!

Let's not carried away with the organic motif or else we might end up with a wooden keyboard design.

The contrast between the top and bottom halves gives it a Neofuturist architectural look.

This is done very much on purpose, with the contrast having been accentuated by the redesign. Evolv is not meant to hold a single motif but to be something uniquely different. From the top, it's own thing, and from the bottom, it's another. I personally love the stark contrast between the two, as it embodies the battle between form and function that happens inside the board. Not sure it neo-futurist is the right label for it, but I'll take it  :p