Author Topic: [ENDED] Yet Another Model F AT (Yamfat)  (Read 23267 times)

Offline JP

« Last Edit: Sun, 30 December 2018, 16:12:56 by JP »
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline JP

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Re: Yet Another Model F AT (Yamfat)
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 14:07:29 »
Up and up the bids go, where do you think they will say 'sold'?

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 22:32:29 »
Around $150, I'm guessing.

That 2nd one looks unusually clean.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline JP

« Last Edit: Mon, 22 January 2018, 00:36:48 by JP »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 02:04:30 »
Edit: Sold

Really clean Model F AT for $120 + shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-IBM-Model-F-AT-KEYBOARD-P-N-6450200-for-IBM-5170-UNTESTED/391966182004?epid=1620960409&hash=item5b43014a74:g:Kj0AAOSwJc9aYh0n
Aaaand it's gone!

Man, F AT's are going really well. And for good reason, they're such nice boards :) .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline JP

Offline OldIsNew

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 14:29:42 »

Man, F AT's are going really well. And for good reason, they're such nice boards :) .

They are for sure. I have an F AT and do like it - but in truth it's sitting on the shelf right now - my XT, however, I use all the time. The XT just feels better to me.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 23:24:31 »
I was gonna tell everyone about that first one, which went for right around $100 shipped. But in the closeups, the plate looked especially dirty and/or corroded under the keys. So even if it had stayed in the $50-ish range, where it hovered for a while, I suspected it wouldn't be worth the extra work.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 09:23:42 »

I suspected it wouldn't be worth the extra work.

If it works, electrically, the only problem that can't be reasonably fixed, in my opinion, is corroded springs.

Otherwise, I assume that I am taking it completely apart and cleaning and fixing everything. A plate without rust is very much the exception.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 18:52:21 »
All three have been sold—the 2nd XT for right about where I predicted, and the A for $200! (both with shipping).

Offline JP

« Last Edit: Wed, 28 February 2018, 22:38:43 by JP »

Offline JP

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 22:58:39 »
This is going to go for a lot but this is most pristine AT I've ever seen. Stunning. I am so jealous of this eBay seller who has came across a hoard of keyboards from a old IBM research lab in New York. I would have hoarded them myself.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-1980s-IBM-AT-MODEL-F-KEYBOARD-CLICKY-84-KEY-cable-A-BEAUTY-IBM-PLANT-NY/263548294262?hash=item3d5cb3d476:g:23YAAOSwTmtaqvHD

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 21:27:35 »
Here is a fresh one.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-MODEL-AT-KEYBOARD-PS-2-F2-TESTED-WORKS-AS-IS/382395429862?hash=item59088b33e6:g:ilcAAOSweD9alznh

Minty one - $$$
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-1980s-IBM-AT-MODEL-F-KEYBOARD-CLICKY-84-KEY-BUCKLING-SPRING-IBM-PLANT-NY/382395429535?hash=item59088b329f:g:YQgAAOSwkpValzOO

Sold for $185 and $225 respectively.

This is going to go for a lot but this is most pristine AT I've ever seen...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-1980s-IBM-AT-MODEL-F-KEYBOARD-CLICKY-84-KEY-cable-A-BEAUTY-IBM-PLANT-NY/263548294262?hash=item3d5cb3d476:g:23YAAOSwTmtaqvHD

Currently at $225 with 4 days to go.

And these were just $100 what, a year ago? If only I'd been able to convince my wife to let me buy more of them, rather than putting more of our dough in mutual funds... Well, the funds did okay, but they haven't doubled over. Which is what most of us are probably doing when we see these now.  :?|

Offline JP

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 18:36:46 »

Currently at $225 with 4 days to go.

And these were just $100 what, a year ago? If only I'd been able to convince my wife to let me buy more of them, rather than putting more of our dough in mutual funds... Well, the funds did okay, but they haven't doubled over. Which is what most of us are probably doing when we see these now.  :?|

Eh...more like $150-200 a year ago. There was a dry spell of these for a bit. Don't expect to see other AT's sell as high as this one since it appears to be in brand new condition.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 18:24:08 »
Eh...more like $150-200 a year ago...

You're probably right. When you get to be my age, it's hard to be sure how long ago a lot of stuff was because your life encompasses such a wide swath of human history.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 18:25:12 »
Still, a 50%/year return isn't bad, either.

Offline Daimakaimura

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 04:12:39 »
It went for +$700 ...

Offline JP

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 07:51:52 »
Absolutely insane price. More like $750 with shipping. Must have been a good bidding war. I expected $4-500 at best.

Offline matt-taco

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 11:09:26 »
Absolutely insane price. More like $750 with shipping. Must have been a good bidding war. I expected $4-500 at best.

I'm not gonna lie, out of my 4 model fs, the AT is my least favorite. I haven't tried a battleship or an unsaver, but I'd probably like the more to be honest. I really couldn't imagine myself paying more than about 80 for one (bought mine for 60 a year ago), let alone 700.
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 March 2018, 11:11:49 by matt-taco »

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 07:54:42 »
I still wonder what these high-dollar buyers are using these for and where the buyers are coming from.

Offline JP

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 21:02:49 »
Well whoever bought this one was a serious die-hard IBM collector. The same kind of collector that would pay 10x the value of a common keyboard because it has some super low serial number or spend $2k on an unsaver or beamspring. There was no expectation of purchasing it to ever make a profit but to be an exemplar specimen in a private collection which will not be posted anywhere online for our purview. It basically will sit in a shelf or display and will hardly if ever be used to preserve it's condition, like a time capsule. These buyers could be from anywhere. This hobby has become more mainstream and vintage gear has become more sought after. Sometimes though it is easier though to spend the cash to reach end game levels rather than wait for good deals to come by.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 29 March 2018, 06:44:12 »

Sometimes though it is easier though to spend the cash to reach end game levels rather than wait for good deals to come by.

Not that I buy this sort of thing, but personally I would probably spend more on a Buy-It-Now "sure thing" than put in a bid on an auction.

Ebay's advice tries to encourage the opposite.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 29 March 2018, 08:00:09 »
Well whoever bought this one was a serious die-hard IBM collector. The same kind of collector that would pay 10x the value of a common keyboard because it has some super low serial number or spend $2k on an unsaver or beamspring. There was no expectation of purchasing it to ever make a profit but to be an exemplar specimen in a private collection which will not be posted anywhere online for our purview. It basically will sit in a shelf or display and will hardly if ever be used to preserve it's condition, like a time capsule. These buyers could be from anywhere. This hobby has become more mainstream and vintage gear has become more sought after. Sometimes though it is easier though to spend the cash to reach end game levels rather than wait for good deals to come by.
Interesting.  So one of the drivers might be a 'shortcut' to the end game by sheer moolah?  I never thought of it, but it does make sense.

Still, the sheer number of these high sales prices makes me wonder how many people with that type of money are out there and where they hail from.

Offline JP

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 29 March 2018, 08:57:29 »
Interesting.  So one of the drivers might be a 'shortcut' to the end game by sheer moolah?  I never thought of it, but it does make sense.

Still, the sheer number of these high sales prices makes me wonder how many people with that type of money are out there and where they hail from.

I would characterize these individuals as single males in their late 20's or early 30's with zero children who make a solid income, likely through some sort of tech career. These individuals likely lurk the Deskthority forum as their interest is in vintage gear rather than customs or artisan keys.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 29 March 2018, 09:50:13 »
$2k on an unsaver

Now hang on a sec here. Is there a record of one actually going for that much?

Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline JP

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 29 March 2018, 10:17:50 »
$2k on an unsaver

Here ya go.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MINT-Vintage-IBM-APL-Model-F-Mechanical-Keyboard-Unsaver-with-USB-controller/253254760732?hash=item3af728f91c:g:9eoAAOSwoR9aB98K

There was a couple high dollar beamsprings that sold. The highest was $2500.

Also a space cadet just sold for $2800 USD.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 29 March 2018, 11:58:01 »
$2k on an unsaver

Here ya go.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MINT-Vintage-IBM-APL-Model-F-Mechanical-Keyboard-Unsaver-with-USB-controller/253254760732?hash=item3af728f91c:g:9eoAAOSwoR9aB98K

There was a couple high dollar beamsprings that sold. The highest was $2500.

Also a space cadet just sold for $2800 USD.

Wow. And it's the 5085(I think) variant with the D-subs too. Utterly useless to the average person until xwhatsit's controller went into it.

I remember these days.
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 March 2018, 12:14:25 by kishy »
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 01 April 2018, 03:41:26 »

I'm not gonna lie, out of my 4 model fs, the AT is my least favorite. I haven't tried a battleship or an unsaver, but I'd probably like [them] more to be honest...

Even ANSI-modded?  ;?)

Well whoever bought this one was a serious die-hard IBM collector. The same kind of collector that would pay 10x the value of a common keyboard because it has some super low serial number or spend $2k on an unsaver or beamspring... These buyers could be from anywhere. This hobby has become more mainstream and vintage gear has become more sought after...

Interesting... Still, the sheer number of these high sales prices makes me wonder how many people with that type of money are out there and where they hail from.

Mostly China, I'm thinking.

Since the Reagan administration allowed U.S. companies to move virtually all of their manufacturing jobs East, the an unimaginable amount of dough has flooded the PRC (whose government, BTW, has taken advantage of this opportunity to finance the biggest military buildup in history).

It's hard for us to imagine how many people are in the PRC. Each year, my sister-in-law teaches English in what they consider a "medium-sized" city. It has the same population as greater Los Angeles.

As these great old boards steadily travel East, KB fans there are catching on. And many of them have the dough, and more, to pay the kinds of prices we're seeing now.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 10:09:57 »
I would characterize these individuals as single males in their late 20's or early 30's with zero children who make a solid income, likely through some sort of tech career. These individuals likely lurk the Deskthority forum as their interest is in vintage gear rather than customs or artisan keys.
Mostly China, I'm thinking.

Since the Reagan administration allowed U.S. companies to move virtually all of their manufacturing jobs East, the an unimaginable amount of dough has flooded the PRC (whose government, BTW, has taken advantage of this opportunity to finance the biggest military buildup in history).

It's hard for us to imagine how many people are in the PRC. Each year, my sister-in-law teaches English in what they consider a "medium-sized" city. It has the same population as greater Los Angeles.

As these great old boards steadily travel East, KB fans there are catching on. And many of them have the dough, and more, to pay the kinds of prices we're seeing now.

These are two very interesting possible demographics that are amazingly distinct.

Offline JP

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 11:34:31 »
I would surmise that in general most boards sold by non-collectors on eBay tend to stay in the U.S. since many sellers tend to not offer international shipping. Of course some go to Europe and China, but there are plenty of folks in the U.S. who will pay a lot for some unicorn keyboard.

Oh and of course, the NIB AT already posted here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=94965.0
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 April 2018, 11:36:49 by JP »

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 23:58:13 »
I would surmise that in general most boards sold by non-collectors on eBay tend to stay in the U.S. since many sellers tend to not offer international shipping...

That's not going to hold someone back with these kinds of resources. I once sold an accordion to someone in New Jersey who was actually buying it for someone in Brazil.

Offline JP

« Last Edit: Fri, 04 May 2018, 21:49:35 by JP »

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 12 May 2018, 04:54:36 »
It went for $177. Not that bad a price for an F AT, I'd say.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline JP

« Last Edit: Mon, 21 May 2018, 19:15:41 by JP »

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 24 May 2018, 00:11:45 »
Nice photography. Unlike so many videos, there's not so many quick cuts to distract you from the music. I really like the blonde at 0:46. That is all.

Offline JP

Offline JP

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 05 November 2018, 23:13:19 »
Pretty yummy.  How much do these things go for these days?  I still don't have one of these metal beauties.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 06 November 2018, 23:25:55 »
So, are we done talking about the blond?
I re-read the entire thread to make sure I didn't miss it.  Spoiler alert--there's no blond.

Offline JP

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 07 November 2018, 05:52:11 »
The blond is not in this thread.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 07 November 2018, 20:46:33 »
The blond is not in this thread.
Link?

Offline JP

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 08 November 2018, 01:13:55 »
omg that thread is epic

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 08 November 2018, 10:16:49 »
Okay, find some more F ATs  b/c my financial lady says my current spending habits are viable. 

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 08 November 2018, 16:35:06 »
Dudes! I'm talking about the blonde (and I left out the E) in the video JP included in his post here in this thread.

Leave us not get our blondes confused. They're confused enough.

Offline JP

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 09 November 2018, 14:23:09 »
Dudes! I'm talking about the blonde (and I left out the E) in the video JP included in his post here in this thread.

Leave us not get our blondes confused. They're confused enough.

:)) I forgot about her.