Author Topic: Is there such a keyboard?  (Read 1804 times)

Offline urban_monk

Is there such a keyboard?
« on: Mon, 12 April 2021, 17:07:30 »
Hey everyone,

I’m looking for a mechanical keyboard.
Wireless.
Red keys.
Media keys – the more the better.
With a number pad.
[optional] Without a palm rest or with a removable one.
[optional] No need for RGB backlight if it can cut costs.

Thanks!
Dima.

P.S. your forum is very impressive.

Offline Leopard223

Re: Is there such a keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 12 April 2021, 20:51:09 »
Hey everyone,

I’m looking for a mechanical keyboard.
Wireless.
Red keys.
Media keys – the more the better.
With a number pad.
[optional] Without a palm rest or with a removable one.
[optional] No need for RGB backlight if it can cut costs.

Thanks!
Dima.

P.S. your forum is very impressive.
I’m not quite familiar with many prebuilt keyboards but I think you might find something in the gamer oriented brands (Corsair, Razer, etc), though their quality is not the best, maybe someone could suggest something.

You can also go custom, might be more expensive, but you’ll probably find the most suitable option there, you can get something like the GMMK which is full size and IIRC is programmable, you’ll need to buy switches and keycap a separately but on the other hand, you’ll be able to pick whatever you want instead of the (probably cheap) stock keycaps and Cherry MX red.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 12 April 2021, 21:51:00 »
You missing Split + Tentable to 45Degrees. These are critical features  A keyboard is useless without them.,

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 13 April 2021, 22:24:49 »
iKBC makes a few wireless full-size keyboards. You're eliminating 99% of your options with just that one combination. the Typemaster X410 is probably the closest thing I can find offhand. At least some of those caps are not standard though ... and low profile, so odds of easily swapping them for something red are low. To make matters worse, I think you're stuck with low profile MX switches ... without so much as an option for clones. iKBC W210 or CD108BT have less media keys, but they appear dedicated and probably even mechanical. Caps look standard to me so you could swap on whatever. Switches could be swapped out but I imagine they're soldered.

Either way, swapping caps (which will almost certainly be necessary with a full-sized board) is probably going to mean you'll have no legends for your media keys if they're not dedicated non-mechanical buttons in the chassis unless you find a cap set with sublegends and pair them with a programmable board.

I can't think of anything else offhand. I don't care much about wireless keyboards, and don't have any particular preference towards full-sized ones either. Logitech appears to have some, but I imagine most (if not all) have Romer G switches (a shame for a brand that makes such wonderful wireless peripherals).

You missing Split + Tentable to 45Degrees. These are critical features  A keyboard is useless without them.,

My keyboards aren't totally useless. I can use some to drive nails in a pinch, or as doorstops, etc. I don't think I own anything tentable at all, so I guess I should just stick to an onscreen keyboard on my phone for typing though.

Offline urban_monk

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 17 April 2021, 13:04:33 »
Maledicted thanks.

Thanks for the IKBC recommends. The X410 seems not to be wireless according to the amazon description.
The other ones seems rather nice and decent. Why do you say I'll probably have to switch keys? Does that happen often with mechanical keyboards?

They do have Romer-G switches (keyboards like the G613), Romer-G switches are inferior to Cherry Reds?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 17 April 2021, 16:47:56 »
The other ones seems rather nice and decent. Why do you say I'll probably have to switch keys? Does that happen often with mechanical keyboards?

They do have Romer-G switches (keyboards like the G613), Romer-G switches are inferior to Cherry Reds?
If you swap keycaps, the new set will not have those keys, it may come with blanks or not include them at all. Some of those boards use low profile Cherry which has even fewer keycap options. If you have no plans to change caps then it doesn't matter, however keycaps are a big part of this hobby for many, especially since some use a horrible printing method that wears off long before the keyboard is dead.

Some people like Romer G, other people dislike them, I think some of the early ones had some issues but I think that's been dealt with now. The biggest issue is that they are not compatible with MX stuff, so what you get is what you're stuck with. That said, Logitech's wireless system is typically far beyond the competition. Logitech unfortunately does not to MX stuff, they use Romer, scissor and rubber dome, their scissor switches are some of the best, Romer tends to be divisive (some like them some don't) and rubber dome is rubber dome (though some are a little better than others they're not remotely on par with scissor or mechanical).
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 19 April 2021, 13:10:42 »
Maledicted thanks.

Thanks for the IKBC recommends. The X410 seems not to be wireless according to the amazon description.

You're welcome.

You may be right about the X410. The vendor's response to someone asking refers to a slightly different model entirely though when they say it is wired. Their actual website seems to indicate it is only wired. I figured the big slider switch with a green background and/or dedicated power button meant it must be wireless, but maybe not. It was a result when I searched for IKBC wireless.

You mentioned wanting red caps, which is not common on any retail boards. As Leslieann said, if you have Romer G switches, you're basically stuck with whatever caps you have (whether or not you like Romer G switches). If the layout and mapping are proprietary, that makes things difficult when trying to match up a red cap set as well.

I haven't used a full Romer G keyboard, but going off of the single switch I have in a tester, if we're talking about sticking with linears for gaming, I don't think it makes a huge difference in terms of the overall experience. The problem is once you've got Romer G, you're stuck with Romer G in that board, for which there really aren't third party alternatives.

Offline urban_monk

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 20 April 2021, 16:22:30 »
Great replies,
I actually want the keyboard for productivity, not for gaming. I decided I want reds since I went over to a local PC store and they had a Cherry tester, on which the reds were most comfortable for me (the softest). I gather that the romer-g is Logitech's attempt to copy or create something similar to cherry-reds. Second best were cherry browns, btw.
I type all day for work, and mechanical boards aren't a hobby. I just want something more comfortable than rubber domes for day to day typing. So probably I won't change any keys unless they break or something.
I'm also a Russian speaker who's located in Israel, so probably after the keyboard arrives I'll put on tri-language stickers (en-heb-ru) on the board. Just some miscellaneous info for you guys.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 21 April 2021, 08:59:41 »
Great replies,
I actually want the keyboard for productivity, not for gaming. I decided I want reds since I went over to a local PC store and they had a Cherry tester, on which the reds were most comfortable for me (the softest). I gather that the romer-g is Logitech's attempt to copy or create something similar to cherry-reds. Second best were cherry browns, btw.
I type all day for work, and mechanical boards aren't a hobby. I just want something more comfortable than rubber domes for day to day typing. So probably I won't change any keys unless they break or something.
I'm also a Russian speaker who's located in Israel, so probably after the keyboard arrives I'll put on tri-language stickers (en-heb-ru) on the board. Just some miscellaneous info for you guys.

Everyone has their own tastes, but the biggest demographic for linears is gaming. That's all I really use them for myself. For typing, people typically prefer either tactiles or clickies. Was MX red switches what you meant by red keys?

There are both linear and tactile Romer-G switches. They're actually made by Omron, of mouse switch fame. They're the B3K series. I have never tried anything other than the linears though myself. Apparently the tactiles are compared to MX brown by some.

Cherry was kind of the last man standing during the keyboard dark ages (the 1990s and early 2000s), so there have been many clones and imitators that have emerged since the "gaming" keyboard market helped spur a sort of renaissance in mechanical keyboard use and development. Romer-Gs came out around 2014, so that would be prime time for people to start trying to compete directly with Cherry to steal some of their market share in the consumer space. Both the linear Romer-G and MX red are rated at 45g actuation force. I don't have a tester nearby to compare them directly though.

Which switches were on the tester? Most people usually don't end their keyboard journey (for typing) on a Cherry switch of any shape or form, besides clones manufactured by other third parties. Cherry's switches are typically considered to be reliable yet lackluster. Personally, I always like to refer to them as the Honda Civic of mechanical switches. I'm not sure if you've got those in either Russia or Israel. They get you from A to B every time without a fuss, the journey just isn't particularly interesting. Linear switches of almost any type are especially like this.

There are lighter switches than MX red available, even in tactiles, but you would be unlikely to find them in a wireless full-size board with dedicated media keys anyway, unless you're unbothered by 96%.

This would open the door a little bit to different switches and cap options. That board, in particular, is offered with either Gateron switches or LK opticals. Gaterons (generally) are MX clones done better than Cherry. Their clickies are more tactile and more consistent, their tactiles are less scratchy, and their linears are smoother. Optical mechanisms tend to offer even smoother operation out of the box than other types of linears because there are no physical contacts.

One thing you may notice switching from a cheap rubber dome board to a light linear switch in a conventional OEM mechanical keyboard at first is you may be bottoming out with a little more force than is comfortable. After typing for half an hour or so, you should acclimate pretty well to what sort of force is required to actuate the switch without slamming the switches down so forcefully.

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 22 April 2021, 10:47:37 »
Think a keychron might fit your bill, they have a full and 98%