Author Topic: Making keycaps without expensive machinery?  (Read 2532 times)

Offline snipars

Making keycaps without expensive machinery?
« on: Sat, 03 January 2015, 21:53:58 »
Hello, i'm hugely interested in designing and creating my own keycaps using resin moulding, and i've seen other people have created bubble-free caps without something like a pressure pot, and i'm willing to invest some money into this, as i love creating things and of course if it turns out that i'm not terrible at it, some people might want to buy them! 
I've found this http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/Products/silicone-mould-resin-casting-starter-kit.aspx which seems to be almost enough to begin designing rough keycaps, but i was wondering if anyone here could advise me on what else i could invest in that would make this idea of mine more possible :)
Duck Octagon + Gateron Black |HHKB Pro 2 | Poker 2 + Vintage Black + Tex case | Unicomp Ultra Classic | WASD V2 |

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
Re: Making keycaps without expensive machinery?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 03:10:59 »
I have taken a couple classes on animatronics, and we learned about moulding, but you will need to find molding supplies, and they usually come in a 2 part mix. You would mould your keycap than pour it into the mould.

You would also need to carve or make the cap that will later be moulded, and the easiest way to get detail would probably be with either wood carving or starting with a piece of clay and sculpting that. Sorry that this isn't any product info, but instead the basics on how you would do it.

Offline MGH

• Lost in translation with a whole ****in' nation
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 03:21:52 »
Off topic, but are you the snipars that makes those montage parodies on youtube?

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 03:33:12 »
Off topic, but are you the snipars that makes those montage parodies on youtube?
Yes.
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 January 2015, 03:36:42 by Photekq »
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline snipars

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 10:24:02 »
I have taken a couple classes on animatronics, and we learned about moulding, but you will need to find molding supplies, and they usually come in a 2 part mix. You would mould your keycap than pour it into the mould.

You would also need to carve or make the cap that will later be moulded, and the easiest way to get detail would probably be with either wood carving or starting with a piece of clay and sculpting that. Sorry that this isn't any product info, but instead the basics on how you would do it.

I see, thanks, useful as heck info 
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 January 2015, 12:36:39 by snipars »
Duck Octagon + Gateron Black |HHKB Pro 2 | Poker 2 + Vintage Black + Tex case | Unicomp Ultra Classic | WASD V2 |

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 11:41:16 »
Holy **** ... these vids are hilarious! subbed #youtub moneyz