Author Topic: B.mini custom - Left Bracket Key isn't functioning  (Read 2046 times)

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
B.mini custom - Left Bracket Key isn't functioning
« on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 23:35:46 »
So I just started up my computer and started typing, I just noticed that my left bracket key is no longer responsive.. I am not sure what is wrong but I am also not sure how I should proceed in finding out what is wrong. Are there any steps I should take in order to diagnose the issue?

I am able to open the keyboard, I also have a soldering iron, but no solder.. or solder sucker..

Thanks guys.

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
Re: B.mini custom - Left Bracket Key isn't functioning
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 23:37:47 »
So I just started up my computer and started typing, I just noticed that my left bracket key is no longer responsive.. I am not sure what is wrong but I am also not sure how I should proceed in finding out what is wrong. Are there any steps I should take in order to diagnose the issue?

I am able to open the keyboard, I also have a soldering iron, but no solder.. or solder sucker..

Thanks guys.

I would first try a program like switch hitter from EK to see that it really isnt responding. If you have no luck then open up the keyboard and take a look at the pcb. If there is nothing wrong with the switch pins or the pads then you will have to swap out the switch.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 23:41:19 »
Open up the case and check the inside of the switch and the solder joint. Try reflowing the solder, since that seems to be what it ends up being most of the time
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 23:48:11 »

Thanks guys.

I would first try a program like switch hitter from EK to see that it really isnt responding. If you have no luck then open up the keyboard and take a look at the pcb. If there is nothing wrong with the switch pins or the pads then you will have to swap out the switch.

I just opened it, the pcb looks fine, as well as the solder joint. Could it be a cold solder joint?

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 23:50:23 »
Open up the case and check the inside of the switch and the solder joint. Try reflowing the solder, since that seems to be what it ends up being most of the time

Do you think a heat gun or hair dryer would work instead of having reflow the solder?

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 23:51:55 »

Do you think a heat gun or hair dryer would work instead of having reflow the solder?

I wouldnt do that, it may warp the pcb.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 23:54:06 »
Open up the case and check the inside of the switch and the solder joint. Try reflowing the solder, since that seems to be what it ends uOPp being most of the time

Oh shoot. That can happen? Dang... okay thanks for the warning..

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 00:00:48 »
Open up the case and check the inside of the switch and the solder joint. Try reflowing the solder, since that seems to be what it ends uOPp being most of the time

Oh shoot. That can happen? Dang... okay thanks for the warning..

All you need to do is take a soldering iron and heat up the solder around the two pins of the switch that isnt working. If that doesnt work then you may need to replace the switch.

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 00:49:08 »
Any luck?

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 02:07:17 »
Any luck?
So I think it was a cold solder joint.. I warmed it up with a hair dryer on low heat to get the metal to expand a bit. I couldn't get the iron to heat up properly.. I need a proper kit.. But I got it working again. I just hope it continues to work. I think it might be the cold weather.. Thanks for the help hubble!

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 02:08:22 »
Any luck?
So I think it was a cold solder joint.. I warmed it up with a hair dryer on low heat to get the metal to expand a bit. I couldn't get the iron to heat up properly.. I need a proper kit.. But I got it working again. I just hope it continues to work. I think it might be the cold weather.. Thanks for the help hubble!
Yeah, seems like 99 times out of 100 it's the soldering
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 02:12:03 »
Any luck?
Yeah, seems like 99 times out of 100 it's the soldering
Also thanks hwood! But looking at the joint on the back of the PCB is looked fine. Eh.. I'll investigate later. I'm just glad I got it working