Author Topic: New to keycaps, what is some of the thickest pbt keycap width?  (Read 6966 times)

Offline xdmcDantex

Hey i have been dabbling in mech boards for a bit but havn't really payed much attention to keycaps until now. I plan on building my first 96 key layout board and i want some of the thickest pbt caps i can get for a reasonable price. Im not looking to spend more than like $30 and i see some sets on amazon for around that, that advertise 1.5mm thickness. What is the thickest width i can get? I know i love the sound of my keycool84 keycaps and i think they are around 1mm in thickness? Not entirely sure i measured them with tape measure but that's not entirely accurate. So i know the thicker i go the more i would like the sound and feel as i really do not like the sound and feel of thin abs caps.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
Re: New to keycaps, what is some of the thickest pbt keycap width?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 27 April 2019, 20:56:47 »
I haven't been keeping up with keycap prices lately but I know back then it used to be something like $60-70 for a full set.  So I'm not sure if you can find something less than $30 but otherwise 1.5 mm is currently the thickest keycap thickness.

I think any thicker it will interfere with keycap function (clearance issue).

Also keep in mind in general thick keycaps doesn't play well with Costar stabilizers but it will be completely fine on Cherry stabilizers.  And even between thick PBT different manufacturer will make it differently and it will sound slightly different.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with.  :)

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline xdmcDantex

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 27 April 2019, 21:21:39 »
Okay cool, i think i will be pickup up a set of 1.5mm thickness then thanks for the info! Im waiting to sell my other board first then im ordering the 96 key layout board and caps and building it.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 06:43:29 »
NPKC makes 1.5mm PBT for very cheap.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline Gepriester

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 10 May 2019, 14:40:10 »
The best thiccnes to price ratio has to be epbt's blanc sets. They're really affordable and look and feel great. So perfect if you're into blanc caps. These are also the thickest pbt caps I have typed on.

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 08:23:56 »
KAT Alpha is 1.6mm PBT
Dongguan Kuangtai make an XDAS ('XDA squared') profile set that is 1.5mm thick