Author Topic: Plate vs. Bare PCB  (Read 1568 times)

Offline Kavik

Plate vs. Bare PCB
« on: Thu, 24 May 2018, 21:54:01 »
I'm mainly concerned about the sound difference between a plate and bare PCB.

Scenario I'm thinking of:
I am not a particular fan of linear switches, but I do like the bottom out sound of SA keycaps on linear switches. Would regular MX blacks still have a bottom out sound without a plate (i.e. does the internal bottom out of the switch produce a noticeable sound. If so, is this sound irrespective of the keycaps)? Or is all of the sound from the keycap striking the plate?

I know that silent switches prevent all bottom out sound by reducing travel distance both inside and outside the switch even with a plate.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline rich1051414

Re: Plate vs. Bare PCB
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 24 May 2018, 23:05:56 »
The main positive of a plate, especially in plastic cases, is board flex. The keyboard feels cheap without it, and can bend and creak when push on.

If the case is sturdy enough for no plate, then the board would indeed be quieter, so that would be a positive for some. Also, the plate serves as a barrier between the environment and the PCB, which means they will last.

A plate is a non-required part however, nothing is stopping you from leaving it out, assuming the case doesn't rely on the plate to anchor the PCB. 
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 May 2018, 23:08:27 by rich1051414 »
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline killyou

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 03:46:14 »
[...]
I know that silent switches prevent all bottom out sound by reducing travel distance both inside and outside the switch even with a plate.
I don't think you do. Cherry switches have reduced travel, Gateron silent switches are still 4mm.

Offline JianYang

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 04:21:45 »
It's always better with a plate. As said above, no-plate = cheap feel.

Offline ag36

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 06:59:21 »
I feel metal plate is optional with metal case, quieter and damped feel without it. My alps64 and Q100 has no metal plate but with aluminium case and they're fantastic. Also it's easy to mod and lube switches without plate.

Bare pcb with plastic case aren't good.
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 May 2018, 07:02:54 by ag36 »
Model M*5, SSK*4, M13 black*1, Model F XT*1, AT*1 F107*1, Unicomp*1, 3278 *1, Leopold FC750R*2, 980M*2 FC980C*1 Filco majestouch 2 TKL*1, Cooler Master MasterKeys S PBT*1, Uniqey Q100*2, Ducky pocket*1, KBD75*2, KBD19X*2, HHKB pro 2*1, Type-S*1 Topre Realforce RGB*1, 108 all 30g*1, numpad*1, 87U*1 Dell AT101W*2, Alps64*2, V80 matias quiet click*2, Quiet liner *1, WYSE ASCII *1

Offline Kavik

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 21:08:34 »
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I will probably forget about this then.

[...]
I don't think you do. Cherry switches have reduced travel, Gateron silent switches are still 4mm.

Ok, I didn't know Gaterons are different. I have Cherry MX Silent blacks, and the only sound they make is a very faint rubbing sound.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.