Author Topic: [GB] 1976 - Flashback to the Colors of the 70's (SA Row 3) --- Shipped  (Read 193499 times)

Offline engicoder

The colemak didn't go through. Harsh. I guess it'll be another couple years for me where I'm typing colemak on a $100 qwerty set.  :'(

It makes me not very fond of the way these group buys function on PMK. I want to know what I'm buying, so I know what should go with it.

I bought enough caps for 3 sets... oh wait, no I didn't.

Yes, their system needs help. Sorry the Colemak didn't make it. Colemak only has a few (8?) keys that are affected by this set...I suppose you could use blanks for those and then at least you'd have the colemak layout and the color scheme. I bought a number of blanks in all colors so if you want to do that let me know.

Offline IMBoddy

If anyone got an extra color keypad set let me know I missed this by a day :(

Offline HapticBovinator

...aaaaannnd drum roll...

Melissa said no more kits available for those who missed the group buy.

Offline samsonite727

Bah, I hate timezones.
Here's hoping there will be spares :)

Email PMK right away, historically they allowed people to submit (or at least update) orders on the same day the buy closed.

Do we email signature plastics? I can't find PMK email address.

Is this it:
sales@solutionsinplastic.com

Ya, I would probably email that one since I think Melissa is on maternity leave right now.  She used to do all of the logistics, but there is someone new filling in for her right now I believe (read that somewhere else).

Thanks for this info, contacted Melissa couple hours after the buy was closed and  was given the chance to buy the ergodox set.  Just received the invoice and paid  :thumb:

Btw shipping came down to a very reasonable $9.

Offline kittykatmax

...aaaaannnd drum roll...

Melissa said no more kits available for those who missed the group buy.

Huh....I wouldn't have thought they'd even started producing them yet.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline HapticBovinator

Ahh, I see, my mistake.

Her email had a spelling error and I guess I misread it, she must have been trying to say "Not right now," but I thought it meant "Not at all."

Thanks for clearing that up.

Offline Jolikki

My keyboard is ready ;)

"I would stand in line for this" - Moby

Offline Data

Nice cable.   :thumb:

Offline engicoder

My keyboard is ready ;)

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Pretty sweet...where did you buy it from?

Offline Jolikki

My keyboard is ready ;)

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Pretty sweet...where did you buy it from?

I got it from http://techkeys.us after seeing the link in this thread :)
Shipping to sweden took about one week or so, pretty good
"I would stand in line for this" - Moby

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
Pexon in UK also makes great cables. He also has that "Fireball" sleeving option: http://pexonpcs.co.uk/pages/colours
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline hermith

So how long does PMK group buys usually take to ship? 2 months-ish? :D

The keyboard I'm popping them on:

I guess I'm obliged to buy a fitting cable as well now. ;)

Offline engicoder

Yes...I would guess 2-3 months. It depends on what other orders are ahead of us, or are place ahead of us in the future. 

Offline xixihaha2008

it's a pity that winkeyless kit can't reach MOQ. :(

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
Yes...I would guess 2-3 months. It depends on what other orders are ahead of us, or are place ahead of us in the future.

Well I think R5 is basically wrapping up now, so that will free up a lot of their time.  :)

Offline engicoder

Well I think R5 is basically wrapping up now, so that will free up a lot of their time.  :)

Anyone know the quantities involved with R5? Any where did they all come from(the buyers, that is)? 

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com

Anyone know the quantities involved with R5? Any where did they all come from(the buyers, that is)?

Not sure, but I am guessing it was over 1000 complete sets.  I actually just asked on DT, so maybe we will get a number.  :)

Offline unoab

Not sure, but I am guessing it was over 1000 complete sets.  I actually just asked on DT, so maybe we will get a number.  :)

Hopefully 7bit says how many kits, but he did say how many keys before in this post:

http://deskthority.net/post211456.html#p211456
Quote from: 7bit
118525 ordered from SP, 106622 sold, 11903 unsold.

This includes a reserve of at least 2 keys per legend, row and color to cover losses.

which at an arbitrary amount of 100 keys a kit would be about 1066 kits sold...
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 March 2015, 15:38:40 by unoab »

Offline Data

Yeah, Round 5 was enormous and 7bit is planning to work the PMK system (as opposed to going directly through SP; "the old way") for Round 5a to maximize the amount of production time given to the order.  SP appears to prioritize PMK orders over all other production, which makes sense from a business perspective but it also means that more traditionally-run group buys get repeatedly bumped in production as new PMK GBs run their courses.  So we may have a short window between 7bit "rounds" to get some of these GBs done via PMK before the production time cranks up.

Offline engicoder

I promised to follow up with a couple smaller add-ons to fill some of the gaps left by the failed child deals. Here are a few ideas:

Specialty Kit - I tried to include the most commonly needed ones while reducing the size of the kit.
94598-0

Slang Kit - Took a stab a this one. Everyone has an opinion on their favorite slang, so its a tough one.
94600-1

Novelties - I thought it would be nice to have a couple novelties. Maybe include these free if you buy one of the sets...

Please give me some feed back on the content above.

Should I change this to a full IC thread?

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
I promised to follow up with a couple smaller add-ons to fill some of the gaps left by the failed child deals. Here are a few ideas:

Specialty Kit - I tried to include the most commonly needed ones while reducing the size of the kit.
(Attachment Link)

Slang Kit - Took a stab a this one. Everyone has an opinion on their favorite slang, so its a tough one.
(Attachment Link)

Novelties - I thought it would be nice to have a couple novelties. Maybe include these free if you buy one of the sets...
(Attachment Link)

Here are my thoughts.

We should see if we can get another Winkeyless option in because I think a lot of people are interested in that.  If that is the case, you can probably remove the 1u keys from the specialty kit that are duplicate from the winkeyless kit.

I am not sure when people would use a brown 1.25 unit caps lock key.  I think a 1.25 blue one will be used, but I am not sure about a brown one.  Same with a 1.25 unit blue Fn key.  I expect people will use a brown one, but not the blue one.  What layout uses a 1.75 unit enter key?  I have never seen that before either.  Otherwise, ya, that is looking pretty good.

Slang kit looks pretty good to me.  If the price is right I will buy it.  :)

I like your novelties.  That smiley face is awesome.  :)

Ideally it would be possible to buy blanks of keys bigger than 1u.  That way people can pick up a matching color key if they can't get it in one of the sets.

Offline Data

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

I am in for both of these.  If you added a 1u backslash/pipe in brown to the Specialty Kit that would be absolutely everything I need.  But don't add it just for me.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

I am in for both of these.  If you added a 1u backslash/pipe in brown to the Specialty Kit that would be absolutely everything I need.  But don't add it just for me.

That is a pretty common key.  I would +1 that even though I would not use it...

Offline engicoder

More

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

We should see if we can get another Winkeyless option in because I think a lot of people are interested in that.  If that is the case, you can probably remove the 1u keys from the specialty kit that are duplicate from the winkeyless kit.
Yes, I agree...maybe a minimal set with only 1.5u CTRL/ALT  and 7u space bar? What 1u keys would be duplicate?
I am not sure when people would use a brown 1.25 unit caps lock key.  I think a 1.25 blue one will be used, but I am not sure about a brown one.  Same with a 1.25 unit blue Fn key.  I expect people will use a brown one, but not the blue one.  What layout uses a 1.75 unit enter key?  I have never seen that before either.  Otherwise, ya, that is looking pretty good.
Agreed on the brown caps lock. The base kit had a blue one, so that is covered. I like the flexibility of the brown 1.25u Fn. agreed, 1.75u Enter key is probably not needed.
Ideally it would be possible to buy blanks of keys bigger than 1u.  That way people can pick up a matching color key if they can't get it in one of the sets.
Thanks for reminding me!! 1.25, 1.5u and 2u in blue and brown?

Offline engicoder

More

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Will do.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
More

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Yes, I agree...maybe a minimal set with only 1.5u CTRL/ALT  and 7u space bar? What 1u keys would be duplicate?
Agreed on the brown caps lock. The base kit had a blue one, so that is covered. I like the flexibility of the brown 1.25u Fn. agreed, 1.75u Enter key is probably not needed.
Thanks for reminding me!! 1.25, 1.5u and 2u in blue and brown?

Sorry, none of the 1u keys would be duplicate.  :)  It was the 1u win and meta keys I was thinking about.  I will let other winkeyless people comment on what they think that kit should have.

For blanks, maybe add 1.75 blank as well, but yes, that is what I was thinking.

Offline engicoder

Ok..Updated

Specialty
94603-0

Winkeyless
94605-1

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
Ok..Updated

Specialty
(Attachment Link)

Winkeyless
(Attachment Link)

Loving the Specialty kit. Looks like that will accommodate Pure, HHKB and Infinity layouts nicely. Put me down for one for sure.

Offline Data

Ok..Updated

Specialty
(Attachment Link)

Winkeyless
(Attachment Link)

Awesome.  Specialty looks like a $22-24 kit (with a decent MOQ) now.  Great job.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
Ok..Updated

Specialty
(Attachment Link)

Winkeyless
(Attachment Link)

Like it. 

The specialty kit is looking solid.

I probably would not have bought the winkeyless set if it was bigger than this.  I don't really use it (right now), but with these keys I think I would get it just for experimenting with layouts.  GJ, will probably make it tip much easier.

I would probably pick up a couple blank 1 unit keys to round out the winkeyless kit.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
1.75u Enter/Return is for 40% layouts, such as the JD40 and JD45.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline engicoder

Ah...I had forgotten that. Thanks

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.

Ah...I had forgotten that. Thanks

No problem!

Also, I think the idea with the winkeyless kit was to throw the 1u mods (Ctrl, Alt, etc) in that kit, so that the specialty kit would be smaller. And because the WKL kit is the layout that uses those 1u mods. Err, nevermind. I haven't had any coffee today. :)
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 March 2015, 12:59:55 by jdcarpe »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
Ok..Updated

Specialty
(Attachment Link)

Winkeyless
(Attachment Link)

These are looking good. Should be able to hit MOQ's easy enough.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline engicoder

I heard back from SP on pricing and most of the add-on kits have decent pricing, but the slang kit is still somewhat pricey:

25 sets                    $38.12 per set
50 sets                    $23.52 per set
75 sets                    $18.65 per set

This is because every cap is considered as having a custom legend. If this price seems too high, we could eliminate a few more caps to reduce price.

Possibly (removed 3 caps):

94997-0

Maybe even eliminate a couple of the 1u caps.....suggestions on which ones?

« Last Edit: Tue, 24 March 2015, 07:10:32 by engicoder »

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
I heard back from SP on pricing and most of the add-on kits have decent pricing, but the slang kit is still somewhat pricey:

This is because every cap is considered as having a custom legend. If this price seems too high, we could eliminate a few more caps to reduce price.

(Attachment Link)

My choices to keep: FAR OUT, GET REAL, BE COOL.

BURN THE MAN, TEN FOUR? can go. Ur. I mean I don't mind if you drop BURN, THE MAN and TEN FOUR.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com

(Attachment Link)

My choices to keep: FAR OUT, GET REAL, BE COOL.

BURN THE MAN, TEN FOUR? can go. Ur. I mean I don't mind if you drop BURN, THE MAN and TEN FOUR.
That is what I was thinking too.

Offline engicoder

I agree...here is what I submitted for a updated quote

95003-0

Offline Data

Aw, I kinda liked "The Man".  :P

Offline engicoder

Unfortunately, it was forcing higher prices and therefore...

The Man was keeping us down

Offline Data

Unfortunately, it was forcing higher prices and therefore...

The Man was keeping us down
*rimshot*   :))

Offline engicoder

Group buy for the add-on kits is up: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=70279.0

Offline HapticBovinator

So forgive me if this is a n00b question but...

I had contacted Melissa and they weren't able to get me (albeit late) into the group buy.

Have I missed it completely? Are there no "extras" or something?

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com

I had contacted Melissa and they weren't able to get me (albeit late) into the group buy.

You missed it.  There are no extras.  Your only way to get it at this point is to try to pick one up in the classifieds after people get them.  Some people will have picked this up who will not end up liking the SA profile, so you should be able to pick up a set then...

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.

You missed it.  There are no extras.  Your only way to get it at this point is to try to pick one up in the classifieds after people get them.  Some people will have picked this up who will not end up liking the SA profile, so you should be able to pick up a set then...

Check the PMK site for other SA GBs that may be coming soon.

Offline kittykatmax

I am considering "hydro dipping" my CM Storm QFR case for this keyset.  According to a post here: http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/2zriki/want_a_hydro_dipped_keyboard_just_got_mine_back/,  If you send an email to Info@MorbidStix.com, MorbidStix.com will apparently hydro dip a case for $30, which beats my time (and potential disaster) in trying to paint the case myself, especially since extra top panels aren't currently available from CM. 

I was thinking the red and gold carbon fiber might be cool to highlight the red and gold keycaps:

Thoughts?

Offline engicoder

I am considering "hydro dipping" my CM Storm QFR case for this keyset.  According to a post here: http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/2zriki/want_a_hydro_dipped_keyboard_just_got_mine_back/,  If you send an email to Info@MorbidStix.com, MorbidStix.com will apparently hydro dip a case for $30, which beats my time (and potential disaster) in trying to paint the case myself, especially since extra top panels aren't currently available from CM. 

Thoughts?

Not sure the carbon fiber fits the 70's vibe, but it's your case. ;D

livingspeedbump is the one that had his case hydro-dipped. I believe he is having a case hydrodipped with a natural wood color for this set.
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 April 2015, 15:47:34 by engicoder »

Offline kittykatmax

If I could just buy a solid red case, I'd even be pretty happy with that, assuming I could get a good match.  I'm just old enough to remember the 70s (at least the second half) and a lot of it was beyond ugly, aesthetically speaking. I'm more worried about color coordination than I am being true to that era. 

Offline engicoder

If you have a monitor with good color reproduction, this is a good color scan of the SP color chip for the red (OB) color used in the set.

The caps will be smooth, so use that portion of the chip as a reference. It has a bit of an orange tone to it, so if you go with a classic red, it will not be an exact match.
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 April 2015, 17:10:20 by engicoder »

Offline kittykatmax

Good to know, thanks!  I'm not going to do anything til the keycaps are in.  If I don't mind it against the black, I might just let it be.