Author Topic: [GB] 1976 - Flashback to the Colors of the 70's (SA Row 3) --- Shipped  (Read 194067 times)

Offline engicoder

Re: [IC] 1976 - Flashback to the Colors of the 70's (SA Row 3) (Live on PMK)
« Reply #300 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 12:07:08 »
That stuff makes me think of 60's not late 70's. Late 70's was more shock rock, punk and disco than hippies.

Every decade is a transistion, and I think your right...those are more early 70's as it was coming out of the 60's. 1976 would be considered more of the late 70's. The Yin-Yang works, however as the whole karate movie thing is definitely 70's.

Is the purpose of this set to reference specific 1976 memories, or to capture the essence of that time period in the colorway and such?  The thread title has always indicated to me that it can be more broad than the specific year of 1976, but maybe I'm missing something here.

No you not missing anything, its not specific to 1976, but I think it should be to capture things that are specific to the 70's and not thought of in the context of another decade. Ivan is correct in that when you look at the psychedelic mockups I had there, it could be the 60's or the early 70's, so I'm not sure its a good fit.

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #301 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 13:44:07 »
Can SP do doubleshot wood paneling?  :))

That **** was everywhere in the 70s.

+1

Don't forget Avacado and Burnt Sienna
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #302 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 14:25:19 »
That stuff makes me think of 60's not late 70's. Late 70's was more shock rock, punk and disco than hippies.

Every decade is a transistion, and I think your right...those are more early 70's as it was coming out of the 60's. 1976 would be considered more of the late 70's. The Yin-Yang works, however as the whole karate movie thing is definitely 70's.

Is the purpose of this set to reference specific 1976 memories, or to capture the essence of that time period in the colorway and such?  The thread title has always indicated to me that it can be more broad than the specific year of 1976, but maybe I'm missing something here.

No you not missing anything, its not specific to 1976, but I think it should be to capture things that are specific to the 70's and not thought of in the context of another decade. Ivan is correct in that when you look at the psychedelic mockups I had there, it could be the 60's or the early 70's, so I'm not sure its a good fit.

:thumb:  Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense.  I like the way most of the proposed ones look, so I'll leave it up to the rest of the group to decide which are acceptable or not.  :)

Offline FingerPunch

• on the rocks
« Reply #303 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 12:35:20 »
What do you all think of this idea....

I use a tenkeyless board, as do many of you, meaning that I have learned to touch type using the number row at the top, even for large numbers, even with decimals etc.

I think it would be pretty useful to have homing bumps on the 4 & 7 keys. Does anyone else like this idea?

Offline engicoder

« Reply #304 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 12:38:10 »

I use a tenkeyless board, as do many of you, meaning that I have learned to touch type using the number row at the top, even for large numbers, even with decimals etc.

I think it would be pretty useful to have homing bumps on the 4 & 7 keys. Does anyone else like this idea?

It's interesting....not sure I have heard of anyone suggesting that before. So the idea would be that you shift both hands up onto the number row to type numbers?

Offline Data

« Reply #305 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 13:01:27 »
I just have a Leopold 10-key pad stowed nearby for the times when I need to enter a lot of numbers.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #306 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 13:27:02 »

It's interesting....not sure I have heard of anyone suggesting that before. So the idea would be that you shift both hands up onto the number row to type numbers?

I could get spoiled on num row bumps on the 4 and 7.  Hell, even a bump on the 5 would be great, and that would match with the bump on the tenkey.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #307 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 13:35:26 »

Huh... I've never considered this before, but it sounds like it would be really useful.  It might look a bit odd, but I would be willing to give it a try. 

Offline FingerPunch

• on the rocks
« Reply #308 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 13:55:50 »
If I was doing accounting I would pull out a tenkey board, but I often find myself typing phone numbers, machine coordinates, etc, that require more than just a couple numbers, along with +/- and decimals, so what I do is move all fingers up to the numbers like they would be if they were on the home row.

The problem the home bumps would solve is when I have to move my hand over to hit backspace, shift, or enter. Finding my way back to the correct numbers is not all that easy. I'm using the Nuclear Data numpad keys as the number row on one of my keyboards, and the homing 5 gave me this idea.

With sculptured keys, this wouldn't be possible, since I don't think the bump is available on other rows, but since this set is all row 3, we can make any key have a bump. Braille keyboard anyone?  ;)

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #309 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 20:57:03 »

This is a fantastic idea. Why doesn't this exist? :thumb:

Offline engicoder

« Reply #310 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 11:47:26 »
I'd be willing to add these. I supposed they could be added to the base set, but I might be more inclined to add them as another child deal.
88635-0

Any thoughts one base kit vs child deal?

Offline FingerPunch

• on the rocks
« Reply #311 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 13:04:22 »
Your pictures imply homing deep dish; I'd prefer the homing bump for the numbers as well.

It's something so subtle and unique, I don't imagine a whole lot of people would be against it. I vote for it being in the base set.

One problem I can see is if we are offering people both deep dish and bump keys for the regular home keys, then that would imply that we would also offer them a choice on the profile of the other keys. That would be 8 extra keys, 4 for each gradient.

How many people are eager for the deep dish home keys? I think if we dropped deep dish from the base kits, and included by default the bump home keys in the base kit, that would get rid of the need for up to 6 additional keycaps per kit (optional home keys (2x) and both profiles optional numeric keys (4x)), and two more keycaps if you type Dvorak or Colemak.

On another topic, I think that the orange and red would look best with brown legends. I'm sure this must have crossed your mind, what made you decide against it? It seems like it would help keep with the color theme.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #312 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 15:12:04 »
I vote the bumped number keys should be applied to the default base sets, unless someone could provide a reason or a significant number of people are against it.  A separate set might not tip, as that would scare off those more apprehensive of change.

Offline engicoder

« Reply #313 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 17:47:55 »
How many people are eager for the deep dish home keys? I think if we dropped deep dish from the base kits, and included by default the bump home keys in the base kit, that would get rid of the need for up to 6 additional keycaps per kit (optional home keys (2x) and both profiles optional numeric keys (4x)), and two more keycaps if you type Dvorak or Colemak.

That sounds like a good idea. I like the idea of them being part of the base set and the general preference seems to be towards the bump homing keys.

On another topic, I think that the orange and red would look best with brown legends. I'm sure this must have crossed your mind, what made you decide against it? It seems like it would help keep with the color theme.

Originally, the yellow caps also had "off white" (WCK) legends, but were changed to brown for contrast reasons. I did experiment with early on with having the red and orange having brown legends, but there did not seem to be enough contrast. The legends appeared overly dark and less legible.

Offline Data

« Reply #314 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 20:49:27 »
Homing number row keys aren't something I'd use. They aren't part of any keyboard ever made, so I'm not sure why we're asking the entire group to pay for their inclusion in the main set. If you want/need unusual keys aren't you typically required to get them in a child set and meet the MOQ?

Sorry to be blunt, but I don't agree with that decision. If I'm in the minority then so be it.

Offline HalfSharkAlligator

« Reply #315 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 00:42:29 »

That is a really great idea.  I can't believe I've never heard of it or seen it done before.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #316 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 11:05:53 »
I love it when innovation comes from discourse in a community...

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #317 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 14:02:18 »
Has anyone seen what time it is?

Shouldn't it be 1976 time now?

Offline engicoder

« Reply #318 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 15:03:22 »

The group buy should be up any day now. I would rather wait a few days an have them get it right after the fiasco that was the Alps Delta Blues posting.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #319 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 15:08:48 »

The group buy should be up any day now. I would rather wait a few days an have them get it right after the fiasco that was the Alps Delta Blues posting.

:-X

Offline dangerfool

« Reply #320 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 23:10:56 »

*WAITING INTENSIFIES*

Offline engicoder

« Reply #321 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 10:50:29 »
The GB is scheduled to go live on PMK tomorrow (2/5) at 9 AM (I assume PST)

Offline Data

« Reply #322 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 10:56:21 »

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #323 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 11:29:11 »
Show Image

Finally! I can't wait to see them prices...so that I can prepare my wallet...doh.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #324 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 01:14:32 »
Finally! I can't wait to see them prices...so that I can prepare my wallet...doh.

YES, always be nice and reassuring to your wallet because she shall be gaped viciously here on Geekhack  ;D .  This place is well known as Gangbang Central when it comes to basic monetary matters.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #325 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 09:22:48 »
Please PM me if you are buying this set and are willing to proxy my order for me.  Purchasing stuff directly from PMK is kind of crazy for me since I get charged an extra $40.  With the current exchange rate of $0.75 to the $1, I just can't afford that...

Offline engicoder

« Reply #326 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 09:40:05 »
Please PM me if you are buying this set and are willing to proxy my order for me.  Purchasing stuff directly from PMK is kind of crazy for me since I get charged an extra $40.  With the current exchange rate of $0.75 to the $1, I just can't afford that...

PM sent

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #327 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 09:43:43 »

PM sent

My PM was first...but, Swill, feel free to go with engicoder on this one if you like.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #328 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 09:52:53 »
Thanks guys.  I have two offers for proxies.  :)

Offline Ouro

• Laughable
« Reply #329 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 11:20:36 »
And its live!

Offline Dingonek

« Reply #330 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 11:22:41 »
Yep!  Looks like the groupbuy is up on PMK.  I've never used the site before, how does one choose the different kits?  I have a Poker II and was looking to buy the 60% set.  Thanks  :)

Offline engicoder

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #332 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 11:29:06 »
I'm not seeing the child deals either. Is it another "Log in to see child deals" like how Delta Blues was?

Offline Dingonek

« Reply #333 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 11:32:43 »
I'm not seeing the child deals either. Is it another "Log in to see child deals" like how Delta Blues was?

Yeah, looks like you have to be logged in to see them.  I still don't see a 60% set though.  Is TKL all the same size keys, just with extras?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #334 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 11:33:46 »
Yes. If you've got a standard 60% layout like a Poker 2 the TKL set will be fine. Reducing the number of kits reduce the price. The TKL set is surprisingly affordable which is great :)

Offline engicoder

« Reply #335 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 11:43:33 »
Yes. If you've got a standard 60% layout like a Poker 2 the TKL set will be fine. Reducing the number of kits reduce the price. The TKL set is surprisingly affordable which is great :)

I set the first tipping point to 50 to get the first number a little lower. I'm pretty sure it will set at least 50.

Offline Ouro

• Laughable
« Reply #336 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 11:56:25 »
I dont see any deals for a numpad :O

Offline engicoder

« Reply #337 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 11:59:36 »
I dont see any deals for a numpad :O

Check again....they took a little while to all appear. Furthermore, at this point it appears you have to be logged in to see the child deals.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
Re: [GB] 1976 - Flashback to the Colors of the 70's (SA Row 3) (Live on PMK)
« Reply #338 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 12:26:02 »
So...all the homing keys featured in the main Parent Deal picture will come with it?

Offline engicoder

« Reply #339 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 12:28:07 »
So...all the homing keys featured in the main Parent Deal picture will come with it?

Yes...all keys pictured are part of the deal. It has a few that are a departure from the norm.  ;D

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #340 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 12:34:04 »

Yes...all keys pictured are part of the deal. It has a few that are a departure from the norm.  ;D

Too cool...

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #341 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 12:38:20 »
Is the cache issue on PMK preventing us from seeing who all is buying these sets already, or is this a hush over the crowd before everyone storms the compound for their piece of the action?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #342 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 12:39:09 »
Is the cache issue on PMK preventing us from seeing who all is buying these sets already, or is this a hush over the crowd before everyone storms the compound for their piece of the action?

It says X sets purchased already yes? Or did you want actual names?

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #343 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 12:44:49 »

It says X sets purchased already yes? Or did you want actual names?

No names, I meant how many are being purchased...I see just a 0 for sets purchased:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #344 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 12:46:18 »
No names, I meant how many are being purchased...I see just a 0 for sets purchased:

Show Image

There's a zero because there hasn't been any sets purchased yet...or the system hasn't updated yet...

Offline engicoder

« Reply #345 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 12:47:12 »

"Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet"  -Rousseau

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #346 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 12:55:51 »
My post was more or less a, 'Is anyone else seeing what I am seeing', sort of thing. I am expecting this set to be purchased by the score...

Offline Data

« Reply #347 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 13:32:26 »
Awesome.  I will place my order in the morning.   :D

Planning to use this on my Atomic board.

Offline hrududu

« Reply #348 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 17:37:05 »
Is the 'J' key in the Dvorak kit intentionally left blank or is that a mistake?

Offline engicoder

« Reply #349 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 17:42:15 »
Is the 'J' key in the Dvorak kit intentionally left blank or is that a mistake?

That's a mistake...Thanks for pointing that out. I will see that it is corrected.