Author Topic: Is anyone here good with Avant Prime keyboards? I need some help.  (Read 1034 times)

Offline armani

I bought an Avant Prime for $40 off eBay not too long ago and I made a thread about it because it has problems.

I cleaned the thing last month, and now I just fully disassembled it since I'm not in my dorm anymore, and the inside was completely immaculate. None of the caps were busted, and they all looked like they were untouched.

I also noticed that my Caps Lock key did work properly, but it was bound to my right Windows key. A couple other keys that I thought didn't work were bound to weird keys (since it is a programmable keyboard) when I tested it in keyboard tester a couple minutes ago. However, the weird keyboard delay and the double presses are still there. I don't see why this would happen, as I cleaned all the gunk on the inside of the keyboard, and the PCB is absolutely immaculate with nothing physically wrong.

The most massive pain in the ass is that I want to reset all the keys back to their default ones, but the Avant software (on my Windows 10 PC) refuses to recognize my keyboard for some reason when it is plugged in.

Can anyone help me out here?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Is anyone here good with Avant Prime keyboards? I need some help.
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 20:17:41 »
I have no experience with this board but standard switch testing applies - if you short the two pins of the switch using anything conductive (scissors, tweezers, bent paperclip...) the key will activate, if there's no delay or double presses the problem is in the switch, if the bad things still happen it's the controller chip.

On looking for info on this board I found this site which suggests you can remap keys without using any program so that could be worth a try?  At a guess you're using a USB to PS/2 adaptor so the computer sees the wrong device ID and the Avant software can't detect the keyboard.  It's also worth mentioning that some adaptors don't play nice with some keyboards so if you are using one post the make and model and someone may know something about it.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline armani

Re: Is anyone here good with Avant Prime keyboards? I need some help.
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 27 March 2020, 11:25:17 »
I have no experience with this board but standard switch testing applies - if you short the two pins of the switch using anything conductive (scissors, tweezers, bent paperclip...) the key will activate, if there's no delay or double presses the problem is in the switch, if the bad things still happen it's the controller chip.

On looking for info on this board I found this site which suggests you can remap keys without using any program so that could be worth a try?  At a guess you're using a USB to PS/2 adaptor so the computer sees the wrong device ID and the Avant software can't detect the keyboard.  It's also worth mentioning that some adaptors don't play nice with some keyboards so if you are using one post the make and model and someone may know something about it.
Thank you very much! Will try that technique sometime today.

I will also try that usage of key presses to configure the keys. I do have a USB -> PS/2 adapter, but it doesn't seem to be the problem, because my computer, despite it being less than two years old, has a PS/2 port on it. It might be because the Avant program was someone's modified version of it that he made specifically for Windows 10, and not the original, original one.