Author Topic: Where to buy keycaps  (Read 7925 times)

Offline nesiax

• key64 libre keyboard
Where to buy keycaps
« on: Sat, 30 April 2011, 21:17:25 »
Hi, i am looking for a good onlike site to buy some keycaps for my custom made keyboard.

The keyboard use cherry mx blue swicthes mounted on a PCB. ( MX1A - E1NW )

This is the list of keycaps i need :

(size, quantity)

1X     = 50 (2 of them with points in the middle, like j,k)
1.25X = 6
1.75X = 2
1.5X  = 2
2X     = 4 (2 of them with points in the middle)

For a total of 64 keys.

all blank keys, could it be white/beige or black (preferibly)

Height could be like DSA Family from solutionsinplastic.com

Plastic could be ABS of PBT, i don't care, just the cheaper.

Thanks.
now: key64.org with cherry blue keys and dsa keys |  before: noppoo choc mini with cherry brown keys
Check out the key64.org project , A Libre * Design, Minimalist, Ergonomic, Splittable, Symmetric, Compact 64 Keys, Eco-Friendly, Durable, Native Colemak Keyboard, Embedded Mouse and Firmware Programmable USB Keyboard.  * Free as in Freedom.
The key64 need a case, if you want to design it please contact us

Offline False_Dmitry_II

Where to buy keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 01 May 2011, 00:08:55 »
http://www.keycapsdirect.com/index.php

But I only know of them because someone else posted saying they were looking for a red alps esc key. Then they posted what they found. Let us know how they are if you use them.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
Where to buy keycaps
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 01 May 2011, 04:40:14 »
solutionsinplastic.com are the same as http://www.keycapsdirect.com/index.php, other than that I think the only thing I can add is that it will be expensive if you order from them. The 50 1X keys will not be too bad (actually the 48 without the nub). Every different size mold they need to bring out is going to cost you depressing amount of dollars... I don't know how it works if you order from the keys they have "in inventory" though.

Offline nesiax

• key64 libre keyboard
Where to buy keycaps
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 01 May 2011, 17:17:21 »
I know about solutionsinplastic.com / keycapsdirect.com but there are no others out there ? Does KBC sell keycaps too llike this one on ebay : http://cgi.ebay.com/KBC-PBT-Blank-Cherry-MX-Key-Cap-Rainbow-/330557074339?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf6bcaba3 ?
now: key64.org with cherry blue keys and dsa keys |  before: noppoo choc mini with cherry brown keys
Check out the key64.org project , A Libre * Design, Minimalist, Ergonomic, Splittable, Symmetric, Compact 64 Keys, Eco-Friendly, Durable, Native Colemak Keyboard, Embedded Mouse and Firmware Programmable USB Keyboard.  * Free as in Freedom.

Offline graywolf

• http://www.graywolfphoto.com/
Where to buy keycaps
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 26 September 2011, 18:08:46 »
I know this is an older thread, but I just got some pricing from Signature Plastics that ought to give an idea.

This is for a prototype keyboard with 25 keys in 3 patterns, stock stuff.

1 set $127.17
2 sets $135.44
3 sets $143.70
4 sets $151.96
5 sets $160.25

That works out to about $120 front money + $8.00 per set, so you ought to be able to figure out about what it would cost you from that. But remember, this is for a 25 cap set.

That pretty much means you can buy the keycaps from a retailer for less in anything less than about 10 sets.

Offline wasdkeyboards

• * Commercial Vendor
Where to buy keycaps
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 26 September 2011, 23:12:39 »
You can check out my website at: http://www.wasdkeyboards.com. We sell custom sets that you may find of interest. Blank sets start at $39.99 and custom laser etched or engraved sets at $59.99.

Here's a sample pic:
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 27355[/ATTACH]
Questions and comments, please visit our Geekhack: WASD Keyboards Vendor Forum
WASDKeyboards.com - Custom Mechanical Keyboards

Offline nesiax

• key64 libre keyboard
Where to buy keycaps
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 27 September 2011, 08:31:10 »
What a impressive website !!!! it's amazing !!! i have to make room to keep on working on my custom keyboard !!